My new ol ass amp Phoenix Gold MS2125.... rebuild - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org D-series Knowledge Factory Audio/Electronics

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-02-2013, 10:43 PM   #1 (permalink)
D-Series cadet

theft-repo-sol is about to kiss the skytheft-repo-sol is about to kiss the skytheft-repo-sol is about to kiss the skytheft-repo-sol is about to kiss the skytheft-repo-sol is about to kiss the skytheft-repo-sol is about to kiss the skytheft-repo-sol is about to kiss the sky
iTrader Score: 7 reviews
Default My new ol ass amp Phoenix Gold MS2125.... rebuild

my new old amp

i have always loved Phoenix Gold amps and Subs. when i first started messing with cars it was specifically audio. so one day recently a buddy of mine wanted a t-belt and water pump replaced on his 94 teg (B18A1) ,and he had cash plus an old skool Phoenix Gold Amp MS 2125! early/mid nineties amp that has some of the best watts for bucks ever produced. although it boasts 125 X 2 RMS it is actually produces 160 watts X 2 RMS and when bridged at 4 ohm it boasts 710 Watts RMS which for the time it was insane! due to limited capacitor technology at the time it had flaws, those being the capacitors(CAPs) would leak instead of popping the top. this flaw would lead to board shortage/fires or Caps exploding and ultimately leading to the demise of the amp! well twenty years later CAP technology is way better! i have already ordered the replacement CAPs to make her sing again, but when the electrolytic fluid touches the silicone pads that protects the MOSFET transistors from grounding to the heat sink they have to be replaced. ultimately this is a bit of an extensive amplifier rebuild but its worth it.

the amp

American engineering and art in one package.

the problem CAPs and what happens when they leak electrolytic fluid on other components. mainly the MOSFET transistors and SIL-PADS.

cleaned the trouble area with 100% Isopropyl alcohol and it looks heeps better!

so i yanked all the suspect CAPs! its actually a simple method for removal. first locate the positive and negative terminals going into the CAP.
then literally lean the CAP over from the positive post to the negative and after four "wiggles" it will pull straight off of the board.

i know these photos are crap but if you look closely you can see where the electrolytic fluid residue stained the board.

and the left over CAPs

my amp was in great shape compared to others that ive seen. mine was used until 2002 and has sat in a basement for twelve years until it met me. ill post links to the CAPs im going to use for replacement shortly. also im kinda unemployed so this may take a week or two.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

my build thread:::: z6 block forged internals with a y8 head with comp 59300 cam and springs, NOW boosted

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by theft-repo-sol; 06-02-2013 at 10:51 PM.
theft-repo-sol is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-02-2013, 10:51 PM   #2 (permalink)
Brokedick Millionaire

Rep Power: 108 transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 59 reviews

fapping

Quote:
Originally Posted by patprimmer RIP
I will always feed an inquisitive mind, prod a lazy noob and blast a disrespectful bum.
transzex is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-03-2013, 09:07 AM   #3 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 18 snailslow is the fucking MAN!!!!snailslow is the fucking MAN!!!!snailslow is the fucking MAN!!!!
snailslow is the fucking MAN!!!!snailslow is the fucking MAN!!!!snailslow is the fucking MAN!!!!snailslow is the fucking MAN!!!!snailslow is the fucking MAN!!!!snailslow is the fucking MAN!!!!snailslow is the fucking MAN!!!!snailslow is the fucking MAN!!!!snailslow is the fucking MAN!!!!snailslow is the fucking MAN!!!!snailslow is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 1 reviews

i love older amps!
snailslow is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2013, 09:10 AM   #4 (permalink)
D-Series cadet

Rep Power: 19 2000redCIVICsi is hot as a volcano2000redCIVICsi is hot as a volcano
2000redCIVICsi is hot as a volcano2000redCIVICsi is hot as a volcano2000redCIVICsi is hot as a volcano2000redCIVICsi is hot as a volcano2000redCIVICsi is hot as a volcano2000redCIVICsi is hot as a volcano2000redCIVICsi is hot as a volcano2000redCIVICsi is hot as a volcano2000redCIVICsi is hot as a volcano2000redCIVICsi is hot as a volcano2000redCIVICsi is hot as a volcano
iTrader Score: 2 reviews

Epic!

1991 Civic Si 335,000 miles

The engine doesnt matter. Its small, it pulls, and when it makes noise I advance forward.
2010 Fusion Hybrid
2005 Honda Shadow Aero
2004 Honda XR50 (88cc)
2003 Toyota Tundra TRD
1965 Honda CT-200
2000redCIVICsi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-05-2013, 05:03 PM   #5 (permalink)
D-Series cadet

theft-repo-sol is about to kiss the skytheft-repo-sol is about to kiss the skytheft-repo-sol is about to kiss the skytheft-repo-sol is about to kiss the skytheft-repo-sol is about to kiss the skytheft-repo-sol is about to kiss the skytheft-repo-sol is about to kiss the sky

since the rail Caps (big blue CAPs) are not priority ill wait to do them later because the exact matches ive found are 60.00 + shipping. i have ordered the input CAPs.
input caps: 20.00
5600 micro farad
16v
tolerance +/-20%
8k hours at 105 degree celcius
UPW1C562MHD6 Nichicon | 493-1804-ND | DigiKey
ive kept all the ratings the same as the original but increased the capacitance. itll manage audio power surges (big bass) better without falling on its face.
ive also found all the thermo sil pads.
millimeters
20.50mm X 16.00mm x 12 SP900S-0.009-00-104 Bergquist | BER178-ND | DigiKey
26.50mm X 20.00mm x 12 SP900S-0.009-00-104 Bergquist | BER178-ND | DigiKey
18.00mm X 13.00mm x 4 SP900S-0.009-AC-58 Bergquist | BER183-ND | DigiKey
12.00mm X 9.00mm x 2 SP900S-0.009-AC-58 Bergquist | BER183-ND | DigiKey

~25.00 with shipping.
i now have to go to radio shack and get another de-soldering gun and solder wick.
~20.00
estimated investment
~70.00
amps value after cap replacement ~200.00

my build thread:::: z6 block forged internals with a y8 head with comp 59300 cam and springs, NOW boosted

Old 06-05-2013, 05:26 PM   #6 (permalink)
nub
D-Series cadet

Rep Power: 13 nub is a name known to allnub is a name known to allnub is a name known to allnub is a name known to allnub is a name known to allnub is a name known to allnub is a name known to allnub is a name known to allnub is a name known to all
iTrader Score: 0 reviews

I saw that amp and intantly thought Image Dinamics..was the tits in the day.

How do you plan on using it?

PatPrimmer
nub is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-05-2013, 05:59 PM   #7 (permalink)
D-Series cadet

bridged mono 4 ohms to a big badass twelve in a sealed box with 3^3 feet air space. its going in my 2000 ford f-150 work truck. lol.

Old 06-23-2013, 10:34 PM   #8 (permalink)
D-Series cadet

finally got my shit together......
new CAPs and sil pads............
the tear down...

now i have to wait 72 hours until i can install the amp because of the cleaning solvent used to remove the solder reisen. ill post o first crank vid yo.

Last edited by theft-repo-sol; 06-23-2013 at 11:05 PM.
Old 07-04-2013, 03:51 PM   #9 (permalink)

Wow. I didn't even know any of this stuff was still around. Makes me miss my old Directed 250d. That's gonna be epic.
00 LX Seadn D16y8 : CURRENT
Still have full OBD2 B20 Swap collecting Dust
B20Bp8R is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-23-2013, 02:00 PM   #10 (permalink)
D-Series cadet

Default SUCCESS!

finally got to fire up that amp sorry it took so long but i was waiting for parts (story of my life). the new box came in for my F-150

out with the old busted ass amp...... jk that jensen is a trooper and will continue its service else where. great amp but cant deliver the raw power this bass head craves.

so im hooking the amp up, got the negative, then the positive, remote on and the speaker leads attached. i do a power up test on the amp and the whole time im thinking "no smoke no smoke no smoke" turn the key and opened my eyes and the green light was on. i put down my fire extinguisher and hook up the sub.....lol.

this beast hits sooo hard, so freaking hard. its hard to believe this amp is 20+ years old. cant wait to get this d15b1 out of the work truck so i can drive it. phoenix gold for the fucking win!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 08-10-2013, 09:39 PM   #11 (permalink)

Nice, congrats on the resurrection man. I may do my old planet audio if didn't get rid of it already. I like seeing old shit come back to life.
00 LX Seadn D16y8 : CURRENT
Still have full OBD2 B20 Swap collecting Dust
B20Bp8R is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-17-2013, 08:04 AM   #12 (permalink)
n00b

Nice work on the refurb of the amp. What is it benched at now? Or did you just replace the worn out parts for new ones?
93sihatchguy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-17-2013, 09:07 AM   #13 (permalink)
D-series post SLUT

Rep Power: 30 BigJnWorldWide is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BigJnWorldWide is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BigJnWorldWide is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
BigJnWorldWide is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BigJnWorldWide is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BigJnWorldWide is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BigJnWorldWide is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BigJnWorldWide is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BigJnWorldWide is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BigJnWorldWide is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BigJnWorldWide is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BigJnWorldWide is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BigJnWorldWide is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BigJnWorldWide is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BigJnWorldWide is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BigJnWorldWide is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BigJnWorldWide is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 14 reviews
Send a message via AIM to BigJnWorldWide Send a message via Yahoo to BigJnWorldWide

Holy crap!!!!!!!!! I need to work on my soldering skills sos I can keep my amps alive.

Now let me come over to clean up your wiring!!!
On top of that you have a special knowledge, an understanding of the complexity of the things happening. Others see you turn the wheel and push down on the gas, not you. You see a symphony of combustion and physics. You see a balance between frictional coefficients, tire roll over, spring rates, and throttle. It's a beautiful thing to see all these components working in harmony, it's literally a ballet of force and mathematics!
BigJnWorldWide is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-17-2013, 09:16 AM   #14 (permalink)
the artist formerly known as drexelstudent11

Rep Power: 28 shoebox_civic Still a JDM Star....shoebox_civic Still a JDM Star....
shoebox_civic Still a JDM Star....shoebox_civic Still a JDM Star....
Send a message via AIM to shoebox_civic

it's amazing what a re-capping can do for old audio equipment, people just think because theres no moving parts that electronics can't wear out or degrade lol
90 Skyline GT-R - HKS Drager exhaust, RSR downpipe, metal wheel turbos
shoebox_civic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-17-2013, 11:40 AM   #15 (permalink)
D-series post SLUT

Rep Power: 30 BigJnWorldWide is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BigJnWorldWide is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BigJnWorldWide is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
BigJnWorldWide is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BigJnWorldWide is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BigJnWorldWide is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BigJnWorldWide is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BigJnWorldWide is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BigJnWorldWide is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BigJnWorldWide is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BigJnWorldWide is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BigJnWorldWide is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BigJnWorldWide is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BigJnWorldWide is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BigJnWorldWide is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BigJnWorldWide is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BigJnWorldWide is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
Send a message via AIM to BigJnWorldWide Send a message via Yahoo to BigJnWorldWide

"People" are stupid and panicky. I dislike "people."
On top of that you have a special knowledge, an understanding of the complexity of the things happening. Others see you turn the wheel and push down on the gas, not you. You see a symphony of combustion and physics. You see a balance between frictional coefficients, tire roll over, spring rates, and throttle. It's a beautiful thing to see all these components working in harmony, it's literally a ballet of force and mathematics!
BigJnWorldWide is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-17-2013, 01:23 PM   #16 (permalink)
D-series soldier

glenniz It's a JDM Star Bitches....glenniz It's a JDM Star Bitches....glenniz It's a JDM Star Bitches....glenniz It's a JDM Star Bitches....
iTrader Score: 4 reviews

Phoenix Gold and Soundtstream (before they went into Circuit City) were two of the very best amps on the market. Both were rugged, reliable and had excellent sound quality.

Rep to you sir for restoring a classic amplifier!!!

glenniz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-11-2013, 09:59 PM   #17 (permalink)
D-Series cadet

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJnWorldWide View Post
Holy crap!!!!!!!!! I need to work on my soldering skills sos I can keep my amps alive.

Now let me come over to clean up your wiring!!!
lols my wiring is none of your concern sir and i would like it if you would stay out of my personal affairs! lololol jk! its funny you mention that i have to go back in and upgrade the gauge of wire im using, im currently using 8 G and the amp is getting choked out around 75% capacity. im going to 4G wire with a giant 1 farad capacitor to help keep the alternator alive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoebox_civic View Post
it's amazing what a re-capping can do for old audio equipment, people just think because there's no moving parts that electronics can't wear out or degrade lol
yeah people don't realize that capacitors electrolytic fluid breaks down over time. when this happens the CAPs begin to build up steam, then thats when you have a catastrophic failure with possible fire/injury. hey that is how amplifiers kill dumb people, thus improving the gene pool. lol

Old 11-12-2013, 06:56 PM   #18 (permalink)
n00b

I don't understand the meaning of the term Triple- darlington marked on it. Can you enlighten me on this.

TamekaMaines is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-12-2013, 07:17 PM   #19 (permalink)
D-Series cadet

Darlington refers to the type of amplifier circuit used. With three stages the theoretical current gain of the amp circuit is increased to the power of three. This makes it better suited for driving large currents with low distortion. And we know how good PG amps sound even when loaded down with low impedance loads.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
phoenix gold ms2125, theft-repo-sol

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Security Question
*Required, this field is not shown to others: While balancing on a piece of wood, two inches by four inches known as a 2x4, john and his friend sally both spotted a dalmatian inside a truck with sirens, headed to put out a fire. State what kind of animal is mentioned in the sentence above.
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in