door ajar wiring question - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org D-series Knowledge Factory Audio/Electronics

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-25-2013, 06:37 PM   #1 (permalink)
n00b

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Default door ajar wiring question

I have a 2000 civic lx. I put in a acura el cluster with the ctr bezel. I noticed the bezel has the door ajar section, plus the cluster has a blank spot, and i think itll be cool to wire it up since its just sitting there lol..so my question is, can i splice the wires from the door jam switch/button from all the doors to the bulb?
ichiro3 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-25-2013, 07:28 PM   #2 (permalink)
nub
D-Series cadet

Rep Power: 13 nub is a name known to allnub is a name known to allnub is a name known to allnub is a name known to allnub is a name known to allnub is a name known to allnub is a name known to allnub is a name known to allnub is a name known to all

You could do that but instead going to each door switch you could use the dome light wire. Same signal from all doors on one wire.

PatPrimmer
nub is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-25-2013, 07:35 PM   #3 (permalink)
n00b

Yea, i went on another forum, and i saw that lol. So would you know the color of the wires? Or should i go right to the fusebox? And how would i hook it to the bulb? Just make sure the wire touch the small connectors? Would doing it that way mess up the board?

Old 05-25-2013, 09:03 PM   #4 (permalink)
nub
D-Series cadet

Rep Power: 13 nub is a name known to allnub is a name known to allnub is a name known to allnub is a name known to allnub is a name known to allnub is a name known to allnub is a name known to allnub is a name known to allnub is a name known to all

It's light green and black. You can get it at the drivers A pillar or high in the drivers kick panel.

How you connect it depends on what your working with. do you have the factory plugs for the cluster?

If you needed to you could solder a wire on the trace for the bulb on the board .

PatPrimmer
Old 05-26-2013, 08:27 AM   #5 (permalink)
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by nub View Post
It's light green and black. You can get it at the drivers A pillar or high in the drivers kick panel.

How you connect it depends on what your working with. do you have the factory plugs for the cluster?

If you needed to you could solder a wire on the trace for the bulb on the board .
Explain what you mean factory plugs for the cluster? If you mean the 3-4 plugs that go to the back of the cluster, yes i do. But i have a feeling thats not what you are talking about lol..hooking to the dome light would be the easiest based on the limited knowledge i have about this subject, and i dont have a soldering kit, so would having a wire touching the bulb, and the board, and just twist the bulb, so the wire dont move..right?
Old 05-26-2013, 12:07 PM   #6 (permalink)
nub
D-Series cadet

Quote:
Originally Posted by ichiro3 View Post
Explain what you mean factory plugs for the cluster? If you mean the 3-4 plugs that go to the back of the cluster, yes i do. But i have a feeling thats not what you are talking about lol..
That's is what I was refering to. I asked because one of the plugs may have the wire intended to trigger the clusters door ajar bulb. If you knew the polarity needed to turn the bulb on you could just tie into that plugs wire.

I don't have any diagrams for the EL so I can't help you there.

Without seeing what you described, personally I wouldn't do it the way you said.

PatPrimmer
Old 05-26-2013, 07:26 PM   #7 (permalink)
n00b

Ohhh, i see what you mean, yea i tried finding the dome light wire, and turns out, its constant. So id havta find each ground wire for the doors, and tie them in...not feeling that lol...but if theres a wire for it already, cant i just put the bulb in, and it should light up right? Thats how im understanding it..i didnt think it would be this hard..lol
Old 05-26-2013, 09:20 PM   #8 (permalink)
n00b

so i was trying to hook up door ajar bulb, and i had a wire connected to the cluster getting power, so i can test my theory. well the wire touched metal and now, that plug that goes in the middle of the cluster does not work. so i lost e brake light, seat belt light, cel light, and a bunch of others..the other plug that goes to the side still works, as my oil light comes on...did i just blow my harness? or did i just mess up my ecu? the only fuses i checked was the interior light. but deep down, i knew it wouldnt do anything since my dome light was still on..what doe you guys think?

(posted on honda tech, so i just copied)
Old 05-26-2013, 09:26 PM   #9 (permalink)
D-series G0D

Rep Power: 30 2jzdreamin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2jzdreamin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2jzdreamin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
2jzdreamin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2jzdreamin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2jzdreamin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2jzdreamin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2jzdreamin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2jzdreamin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2jzdreamin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2jzdreamin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2jzdreamin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2jzdreamin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2jzdreamin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2jzdreamin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2jzdreamin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 49 reviews

Check all fuses and the bulbs.

PM me for obd1,obd2 & k-series tucked harnesses

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

all so do vtec sub-harness

MAGIC-WIRES FOR YOUR ENGINE HARNESS NEEDS

instagram @magicman9won4
2jzdreamin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-26-2013, 09:31 PM   #10 (permalink)
n00b

the bulbs arent the issue since they worked, i put another cluster in, and that cluster lights dont work either.. 1 wire on that big plug gets power, and i tested that wire, and no power going to it..as i said, i checked the interior fuse under the hood, and the one under the panel, but still good...part of the cluster still works, its just im not getting power to that plug anymore. you think part of the harness got fried? i didnt check to see if my speedo, gas, tach, temp gauge yet...but i hope its not the ecu that got messed up! the car starts and everything, all this trying to get 1 bulb to work, and now i blew out half my lights, man smh
Old 05-26-2013, 09:40 PM   #11 (permalink)
D-series G0D

Rep Power: 30 2jzdreamin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2jzdreamin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2jzdreamin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
2jzdreamin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2jzdreamin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2jzdreamin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2jzdreamin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2jzdreamin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2jzdreamin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2jzdreamin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2jzdreamin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2jzdreamin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2jzdreamin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2jzdreamin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2jzdreamin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2jzdreamin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !

There are two fuses for the cluster. The yellow and black/white wires are both power wires for the cluster. Iirc the fuse spots are 15 and 25 in the under dash fuse box.

Some times a fuse looks good but is really bad.

Worst case is you killed your cluster or cluster harness.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

instagram @magicman9won4
Old 05-26-2013, 10:03 PM   #12 (permalink)
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2jzdreamin View Post
There are two fuses for the cluster. The yellow and black/white wires are both power wires for the cluster. Iirc the fuse spots are 15 and 25 in the under dash fuse box.

Some times a fuse looks good but is really bad.

Worst case is you killed your cluster or cluster harness.
ok..so lets say if the harness for the cluster is bad, how would i go about changing it out?, and if the other fuse was bad, why would i still get some lights going to it?i know the cluster isnt bad because i swapped another cluster in, and the same light is on, and the others dont work
Old 05-26-2013, 10:25 PM   #13 (permalink)
nub
D-Series cadet

By the lights you say aren't working if I'm understanding you, they're "function indicator" lights and not the (dimmer controled) back lighting that stopped working?

I'm not saying you're incompetent but recheck the fuses. People say they checked and they're good only to find or have someone else find a blown one after chasing their tail.

Everything in your car that has power going to it fused and it sounds like you put power to ground.

PatPrimmer
Old 05-26-2013, 10:28 PM   #14 (permalink)
D-series G0D

Best pic I have. Bottom harness is the cluster harness from a 96-00 civic. There's a few plugs at the under dash fuse box that need to be unplugged and and few switches that need to be unplugged then you should be able to pull it out.

instagram @magicman9won4
Old 05-26-2013, 10:48 PM   #15 (permalink)
n00b

yes, sorry if i didnt make myself clear, when i said light, i ment the function indicator lights, not the lights that are controlled by the dimmer. now as i said, only 1 light works, which is the either oil, or battery..turn signals work, but thats it. i checked the interior fuse but it was good since my climate control lights came on, as well as the backlight cluster lights. now idk if the interior fuse was one of the 2 fuses im supposed to check. i will check them tomorrow since the car is still a mess, when i saw the spark, i went into panic mode and did limited troubleshooting haha. but yes, power touched ground.
Old 05-26-2013, 10:52 PM   #16 (permalink)
D-series G0D

You could have burnt a trace. Like the pic below. Just some thing else to check. It's hard to figure this out over the Internet.

instagram @magicman9won4
Old 05-26-2013, 10:54 PM   #17 (permalink)
n00b

2J, i checked on ebay, and there was a bunch selling for less than 40 bucks, so worst case, ill have to pick one up. in case anyone was wondering why i had a wire connected to the bulb of the cluster, i found the green/red wire that controls the door jam switch for the doors, and i thought, since when the door is closed, it goes from ground to hot, i thought id hook up a wire from a "hot" bulb, specifically the seat belt indicator, and connect the 2 wires to another bulb, to see if it would turn on..i was about to test until i closed the door and moved my knee, and bam, sparks lol
Old 05-26-2013, 10:57 PM   #18 (permalink)
n00b

is there a way to fix a burnt trace? man, you guys are more helpful than the people on honda tech. lol
Old 05-26-2013, 10:58 PM   #19 (permalink)
D-series G0D

The door trigger works as a ground. With the door closed the switch isn't making contact to ground but once the door is opened the switch makes contact to ground.

Ok I need pics of how you hooked it up.

instagram @magicman9won4
Old 05-26-2013, 11:05 PM   #20 (permalink)
D-series G0D

Quote:
Originally Posted by ichiro3 View Post
is there a way to fix a burnt trace? man, you guys are more helpful than the people on honda tech. lol
Only one person answered you over there,hehe me. I don't know about fixing the trace. Maybe if your real good at soldering its worth a shot.

instagram @magicman9won4
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in