Del Sol charging issue...?? - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org D-series Knowledge Factory Audio/Electronics

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-14-2013, 03:12 PM   #1 (permalink)
D-series soldier

jeremy85 is a Top Aussiejeremy85 is a Top Aussiejeremy85 is a Top Aussiejeremy85 is a Top Aussiejeremy85 is a Top Aussiejeremy85 is a Top Aussiejeremy85 is a Top Aussiejeremy85 is a Top Aussiejeremy85 is a Top Aussiejeremy85 is a Top Aussiejeremy85 is a Top Aussie
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Default Del Sol charging issue...??

New walmart battery. New alternator from Autozone.

And the battery is still gradually discharging LIKE the alternator is bad...
(measured volts across the battery posts)
Battery light (on the dash) is on.

Could this just be a grounding issue?
Most look like shit, kinda rusty, and I live by the ocean..

Now, while the car is at an idle.....
Volts across the positive alternator post to the alternator housing is 14.1+
From positive alternator post to chassis ground is 13.5 ish
And across the battery posts is 12.6 and dropping..

Ground issue right?
Any other ideas?
Please discuss. =]

1995 Delcamino D15Beater7
Synchrotech EX trans / LSD clutch
Ebay Header/Hackpro Custom 2" Exhaust
Nitrous Express Wet Kit
Hackpro Custom one-off tow hitch.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
You win at everything forever!
jeremy85 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-14-2013, 03:15 PM   #2 (permalink)
D-series G0D

Rep Power: 30 2jzdreamin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2jzdreamin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2jzdreamin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
2jzdreamin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2jzdreamin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2jzdreamin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2jzdreamin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2jzdreamin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2jzdreamin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2jzdreamin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2jzdreamin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2jzdreamin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2jzdreamin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2jzdreamin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2jzdreamin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2jzdreamin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 49 reviews

Bad wires. Put new ground wires on and a new wire from alt to battery. Make sure all connection are tight and clean.

PM me for obd1,obd2 & k-series tucked harnesses

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

all so do vtec sub-harness

MAGIC-WIRES FOR YOUR ENGINE HARNESS NEEDS

instagram @magicman9won4
2jzdreamin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-14-2013, 03:22 PM   #3 (permalink)
D-series soldier

jeremy85 is a Top Aussiejeremy85 is a Top Aussiejeremy85 is a Top Aussiejeremy85 is a Top Aussiejeremy85 is a Top Aussiejeremy85 is a Top Aussiejeremy85 is a Top Aussiejeremy85 is a Top Aussiejeremy85 is a Top Aussiejeremy85 is a Top Aussiejeremy85 is a Top Aussie

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2jzdreamin View Post
Bad wires. Put new ground wires on and a new wire from alt to battery. Make sure all connection are tight and clean.
yup, or that. =]
Tomorrows project I guess.

Nitrous Express Wet Kit

Quote:

Old 05-14-2013, 05:35 PM   #4 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 21 robscrx is the fucking MAN!!!!robscrx is the fucking MAN!!!!robscrx is the fucking MAN!!!!
robscrx is the fucking MAN!!!!robscrx is the fucking MAN!!!!robscrx is the fucking MAN!!!!robscrx is the fucking MAN!!!!robscrx is the fucking MAN!!!!robscrx is the fucking MAN!!!!robscrx is the fucking MAN!!!!robscrx is the fucking MAN!!!!robscrx is the fucking MAN!!!!robscrx is the fucking MAN!!!!robscrx is the fucking MAN!!!!robscrx is the fucking MAN!!!!robscrx is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 2 reviews

Is the belt tight
robscrx is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-15-2013, 07:34 AM   #5 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Quote:
Originally Posted by robscrx View Post
Is the belt tight
yes

Nitrous Express Wet Kit

Quote:
Old 05-16-2013, 12:34 AM   #6 (permalink)
Brokedick Millionaire

Rep Power: 108 transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 59 reviews

disconnect the plug and main wire from the alt and recheck voltage issues.

I've seen "new" AZ alts have bad diodes in them.

Wait until the alternator is shorted internally and only why to remove it is pull the motor due to rust issues.

Quote:
Originally Posted by patprimmer RIP
I will always feed an inquisitive mind, prod a lazy noob and blast a disrespectful bum.
transzex is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-18-2013, 09:01 AM   #7 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Quote:
Originally Posted by transzex View Post
Wait until the alternator is shorted internally and only why to remove it is pull the motor due to rust issues.
I've gotten it out without pulling the motor. You're talking about the "pivot" bolt that goes thru the alternator in the bottom bracket being completely corroded so you can't pull it out, although it may turn. I used a torch and some heat shields to burn the heads off the bolts that go thru the bottom bracket into the engine block, sketchy, but a wicked time saver. =]

Quote:
Originally Posted by transzex View Post
disconnect the plug and main wire from the alt and recheck voltage issues.
I still haven't touched the Delsol since this issue. It's just been stuck in the garage. I'm going to unplug the wires and recheck voltage right now.

Nitrous Express Wet Kit

Quote:
Old 08-18-2013, 09:27 AM   #8 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Ok. All the wires UNhooked from the alternator, from Positive Alt. post to chassis ground I get 14.5+ volts.

Reconnect everything to the alternator and pull off the negative wire from the battery and the car stays running. Battery light is still on on the dash.

This is puzzling to me.

Can I and should I run a brand new wire from the positive post of the alternator to the positive post of the battery?
Where does the car get the voltage reading from to tell the dash light to come on when there isn't enough voltage?

[[[BTW, all ground wires are brand new. New wire from chassis to motor, motor to alternator, and then alternator to chassis. (yes I grounded the alternator directly with a wire in case the brackets were just not getting the job done.)]]]

Nitrous Express Wet Kit

Quote:
Old 08-18-2013, 09:38 AM   #9 (permalink)
D-series G0D

Rep Power: 30 2jzdreamin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2jzdreamin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2jzdreamin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
2jzdreamin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2jzdreamin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2jzdreamin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2jzdreamin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2jzdreamin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2jzdreamin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2jzdreamin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2jzdreamin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2jzdreamin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2jzdreamin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2jzdreamin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2jzdreamin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2jzdreamin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !

The white/blue wire is the one for the low battery light on the cluster. It's in the drivers side shock tower plug. The ecu all so has this wire.

instagram @magicman9won4
Old 08-18-2013, 09:54 AM   #10 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Thanks man. Any insight as to my problems?

Nitrous Express Wet Kit

Quote:
Old 08-18-2013, 10:03 AM   #11 (permalink)
D-series G0D

Try hooking up the alt power (fat) wire to battery. It might be the connection from the under hood fuse box from alt to battery that's causing your issue. It's the only thing I see that hasn't been replaced.

instagram @magicman9won4
Old 08-18-2013, 10:33 AM   #12 (permalink)
D-series soldier

I will try that.
But it's weird, with the car running, I have 14+ volts across the battery posts.
With the car turned off, I'm now at 12.9 volts(dropping with every engine restart), when I started an hour ago with a fully charged battery(charged with a charger) it was around 13.8
So I'm still losing voltage from the battery thru the many times I've started the engine in the past hour.

Could I have a bought a new bad battery? It's a walmart special.

Nitrous Express Wet Kit

Quote:
Old 08-18-2013, 10:38 AM   #13 (permalink)
D-series G0D

Take the neg battery terminal off the battery,take a test light and hook one end to the neg battery terminal and the other end to the battery. The light will come one if there's some thing drawing power. Start to take out fuses one by one till the light goes off. When the light goes off see what that fuse does, this should help narrow down if there's some thing that's drawing to much power while the car is off.

http://youtu.be/zdIKNnwEjIs

instagram @magicman9won4

Last edited by 2jzdreamin; 08-18-2013 at 10:40 AM.
Old 08-18-2013, 11:06 AM   #14 (permalink)
D-series soldier

ok, Just did that. No light. I didn't think it was parasitic drain. The car has just sat for 3 months(since this problem has started), but I have been starting it about once per week to move it around the garage or driveway. Pisses me off, runs mint, but won't charge.

I just made a new wire from the Pos. Alt terminal to the Pos. batt. terminal.
Battery light on the dash is still on.
Voltage across the battery terminals is 14+, voltage across the alternator to chassis is 14+.

FUCK.

Nitrous Express Wet Kit

Quote:
Old 08-18-2013, 11:11 AM   #15 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Fuck it. I'm bout to go ride this bitch around for a min.
brb

Nitrous Express Wet Kit

Quote:
Old 08-18-2013, 11:26 AM   #16 (permalink)
D-series G0D

Might be a bad battery.

instagram @magicman9won4
Old 08-18-2013, 11:44 AM   #17 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Just got back from a beat run....
The last 3 times I checked the battery with the car off after putting the new Alt to Batt wire.

Seems like it's charging, kinda.. But the battery light is still on the whole time the car is running.

Nitrous Express Wet Kit

Quote:
Old 08-18-2013, 01:06 PM   #18 (permalink)
D-series soldier

2nd brand new battery in the car now.
Voltage drops still.
But now the alternator won't put out more than 13.6 volts.

Going to buy another new alternator now......... blaahhh....

Nitrous Express Wet Kit

Quote:
Old 08-18-2013, 02:47 PM   #19 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Ok, My 1st alternator that I bought from AutoZone was BAD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
They tested it and it failed!! I was sooo happy. =]

So now I'm slamming in the 2nd new one. Hopefully this one is good. =]

Nitrous Express Wet Kit

Quote:
Old 08-18-2013, 02:55 PM   #20 (permalink)
the artist formerly known as drexelstudent11

Rep Power: 28 shoebox_civic Still a JDM Star....shoebox_civic Still a JDM Star....
shoebox_civic Still a JDM Star....shoebox_civic Still a JDM Star....
iTrader Score: 14 reviews
Send a message via AIM to shoebox_civic

the battery, at rest, car off for awhile, will only really read about 13.00 volts when it's fully charged.

Anything above that value from the alt IS charging it.
90 Skyline GT-R - HKS Drager exhaust, RSR downpipe, metal wheel turbos
shoebox_civic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in