What battery to use? - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org D-series Knowledge Factory Audio/Electronics

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-13-2013, 10:09 PM   #1 (permalink)
D-series PIMP

SpoonfedCivic is hot as a volcanoSpoonfedCivic is hot as a volcanoSpoonfedCivic is hot as a volcanoSpoonfedCivic is hot as a volcanoSpoonfedCivic is hot as a volcanoSpoonfedCivic is hot as a volcanoSpoonfedCivic is hot as a volcanoSpoonfedCivic is hot as a volcanoSpoonfedCivic is hot as a volcanoSpoonfedCivic is hot as a volcanoSpoonfedCivic is hot as a volcanoSpoonfedCivic is hot as a volcanoSpoonfedCivic is hot as a volcano
iTrader Score: 11 reviews
Default What battery to use?

Hey everybody I have the age old question. What car battery to use with our Hondas? My del Sol really just needs a battery to crank the starter, I have no radio or other high energy using equipment besides a few aftermarket gauges and the nomal stuff. I'm wanting a battery that will fit in the stock location under the hood. So the question is what popular brand of battery should I use?

Odessey, Braille, or Optima? And if Optima do I want red top or yellow top? Or none of the above? Do I really need a big expensive battery to crank my high compression motor? Or would the typical off the shelf battery do me just fine? What do you all think?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1993 Honda Civic del Sol S [Project]
1996 Honda Civic CX Hatch [Near stock DD]

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Pat Primmer R.I.P.
SpoonfedCivic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-13-2013, 10:14 PM   #2 (permalink)
D-series G0D

Rep Power: 30 2jzdreamin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2jzdreamin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2jzdreamin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
2jzdreamin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2jzdreamin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2jzdreamin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2jzdreamin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2jzdreamin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2jzdreamin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2jzdreamin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2jzdreamin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2jzdreamin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2jzdreamin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2jzdreamin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2jzdreamin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2jzdreamin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 49 reviews

The stock size yellow battery will work fine and is cheaper then those other battery's. pretty much any off the shelf battery will be fine.

PM me for obd1,obd2 & k-series tucked harnesses

all so do vtec sub-harness

MAGIC-WIRES FOR YOUR ENGINE HARNESS NEEDS

instagram @magicman9won4
2jzdreamin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-13-2013, 10:32 PM   #3 (permalink)
All powerful D-series member

JosA is about to kiss the skyJosA is about to kiss the skyJosA is about to kiss the skyJosA is about to kiss the skyJosA is about to kiss the skyJosA is about to kiss the skyJosA is about to kiss the sky
iTrader Score: 43 reviews
Send a message via AIM to JosA

Ill be selling my Odyssey Drycell Battery PC680.

I can do $110 shipped overnight

(no extra charge for overnight shipping).

Had it on my d15b turbo setup. Powered a 700watt amp and all my accessories (gauges)

<---

<--- For sick a$$ bolts!
JosA is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2013, 11:55 PM   #4 (permalink)
OMG TOTALLY COOL TITLE!!!!

Rep Power: 32 si-hatch86 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !si-hatch86 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !si-hatch86 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
si-hatch86 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !si-hatch86 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !si-hatch86 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 15 reviews
Send a message via AIM to si-hatch86 Send a message via MSN to si-hatch86 Send a message via Yahoo to si-hatch86

The odyssey one is what I would do. Small and effective

RIP Pat Primmer
RIP MILO
si-hatch86 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-14-2013, 12:32 AM   #5 (permalink)
Brokedick Millionaire

Rep Power: 108 transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 59 reviews

A FRESH battery, nothing from Optima anymore. Since they moved most operations to Mexico the QC has went to junk except for the bluetop/grid batts the off roaders use.

Quote:
Originally Posted by patprimmer RIP
I will always feed an inquisitive mind, prod a lazy noob and blast a disrespectful bum.
transzex is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-14-2013, 05:44 AM   #6 (permalink)
turn up tha boost !

Rep Power: 14 NOSAJ is a name known to allNOSAJ is a name known to allNOSAJ is a name known to allNOSAJ is a name known to allNOSAJ is a name known to allNOSAJ is a name known to allNOSAJ is a name known to allNOSAJ is a name known to allNOSAJ is a name known to allNOSAJ is a name known to all
iTrader Score: 9 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2jzdreamin View Post
The stock size yellow battery will work fine and is cheaper then those other battery's. pretty much any off the shelf battery will be fine.
why spend the money on an expensive battery
I've had bad luck with expensive batteries (Optima and Tsunami?)
are you going for show quality? consider purchasing by what goes with your color scheme

I would try the Odessey

any regular battery would work
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Civic for sale.jpg
Views:	548
Size:	66.5 KB
ID:	41377  

Noobs get a [email protected]!*
Here:

Last edited by NOSAJ; 05-14-2013 at 05:47 AM.
NOSAJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-14-2013, 06:09 AM   #7 (permalink)
D-series PIMP

SpoonfedCivic is hot as a volcanoSpoonfedCivic is hot as a volcanoSpoonfedCivic is hot as a volcanoSpoonfedCivic is hot as a volcanoSpoonfedCivic is hot as a volcanoSpoonfedCivic is hot as a volcanoSpoonfedCivic is hot as a volcanoSpoonfedCivic is hot as a volcanoSpoonfedCivic is hot as a volcanoSpoonfedCivic is hot as a volcanoSpoonfedCivic is hot as a volcanoSpoonfedCivic is hot as a volcanoSpoonfedCivic is hot as a volcano

I'm wanting a good solid battery that can sit for a few weeks at a time in a car and not go dead if have to be. I want a battery that can perform and keep up with the demands of the car when the power is needed. And yes, I'd love a good looking battery for the engine bay. I don't have the prettiest engine bays in the world, but it is clean, simple, and semi-tucked. Rep to all who have responded.

Pat Primmer R.I.P.
Old 05-14-2013, 06:09 AM   #8 (permalink)
D-series PIMP

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2jzdreamin View Post
What battery are you talking about? Optima yellow top?

Pat Primmer R.I.P.

Last edited by SpoonfedCivic; 05-14-2013 at 06:14 AM.
Old 05-14-2013, 06:15 AM   #9 (permalink)
D-series PIMP

Quote:
Originally Posted by si-hatch86 View Post
The odyssey one is what I would do. Small and effective
Odyssey is what I was aiming for, but I've got a local friend who has tried two different Odyssey batteries with no luck. But I keep hearing great things about Odyssey from others online...

Pat Primmer R.I.P.
Old 05-14-2013, 06:36 AM   #10 (permalink)
\/Your Mom Was Here\/

Rep Power: 54 BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !

As long as you have a good charging system and drive the car on a regular basis then a plain battery off the shelf will last many years.

I bought a battery from Wal mart in 2001. I just replaced it this year.

2005 Civic EX Sedan (ES2)

You will be missed but not forgotten.

Quote:
I actually jerk off to my rep points, neg rep makes me thumb my bung, what now brown cow? I finished twice.
BeerDrinkin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-14-2013, 07:05 AM   #11 (permalink)
D-series PIMP

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerDrinkin View Post
As long as you have a good charging system and drive the car on a regular basis then a plain battery off the shelf will last many years.

I bought a battery from Wal mart in 2001. I just replaced it this year.
The reason for all these questions is because I bought a new battery from Autozone in 2007 and it's beyond dead as of last night... So I'm wanting to get a better quality battery, and maybe one with a little bit of bling for the engine bay

Pat Primmer R.I.P.
Old 05-14-2013, 07:12 AM   #12 (permalink)
Retired From Hondas

Rep Power: 37 Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 7 reviews

I bought a Shuriken BT20 which is same size as odyssey and similar specs.

I paid 65 shipped on Amazon.

Shuriken SK-BT20 20ah Battery : Amazon.com : Automotive Shuriken SK-BT20 20ah Battery : Amazon.com : Automotive

EDIT: I will say, it takes a few more revolutions to start the car, but works great and lightweight. It has deep cycle capabilities which i like for when my car sits for a few weeks. the alarm has small parasitic draw. Can also use Odysseys mount plate if tucking in dash.
People try so hard to be unique, they lose their sense of style

Last edited by Esotericimage; 05-14-2013 at 07:19 AM.
Esotericimage is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-14-2013, 07:13 AM   #13 (permalink)
D-series post SLUT

007 is hot as a volcano007 is hot as a volcano007 is hot as a volcano007 is hot as a volcano007 is hot as a volcano007 is hot as a volcano007 is hot as a volcano
iTrader Score: 10 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpoonfedCivic View Post
I'm wanting a good solid battery that can sit for a few weeks at a time
install an automotive circuit breaker.

Newegg.com - Manual Reset Circuit Breaker 150 Amp - MTR CB150MR
Old 05-14-2013, 07:48 AM   #14 (permalink)
Meat Popsicle

Rep Power: 28 Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 14 reviews

I bought a Duralast Red top from autozone probably 4 years ago and it still works perfectly. Sat outside the car for months on the ground and the car fired right up when I put it back in.

R.I.P. Pat Primmer
Paterico is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-14-2013, 07:53 AM   #15 (permalink)
D-series G0D

Rep Power: 30 2jzdreamin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2jzdreamin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2jzdreamin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
2jzdreamin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2jzdreamin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2jzdreamin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2jzdreamin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2jzdreamin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2jzdreamin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2jzdreamin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2jzdreamin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2jzdreamin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2jzdreamin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2jzdreamin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2jzdreamin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2jzdreamin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !

Quote:
I'm wanting a good solid battery that can sit for a few weeks at a time in a car and not go dead if have to be. I want a battery that can perform and keep up with the demands of the car when the power is needed. And yes, I'd love a good looking battery for the engine bay. I don't have the prettiest engine bays in the world, but it is clean, simple, and semi-tucked. Rep to all who have responded.
I can tell you the the optima and odessy battery's don't hold a charge on a car that sits for a while. They hold for a little. That happened with all battery's just seems like it happens faster with aftermarket battery's. best thing would be some like a battery tender that will keep the battery charged all the time.

Quote:
What battery are you talking about? Optima yellow top?
Duralast gold I think it's called. Any problems you can bring it back and have it swapped out for a new one.

instagram @magicman9won4

Last edited by 2jzdreamin; 05-14-2013 at 08:00 AM.
Old 05-14-2013, 08:02 AM   #16 (permalink)
D-series G0D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esotericimage View Post
I bought a Shuriken BT20 which is same size as odyssey and similar specs.

I paid 65 shipped on Amazon.

Shuriken SK-BT20 20ah Battery : Amazon.com : Automotive

EDIT: I will say, it takes a few more revolutions to start the car, but works great and lightweight. It has deep cycle capabilities which i like for when my car sits for a few weeks. the alarm has small parasitic draw. Can also use Odysseys mount plate if tucking in dash.
This might be my next battery. Just have to make sure I can make it fit with intercooler piping,then found the mount for it.

instagram @magicman9won4
Old 05-14-2013, 08:04 AM   #17 (permalink)
D-series PIMP

Thanks for all the info guys, I think I will just look into an off the shelf battery instead of these aftermarket units. The car will not be driven daily, only on nice days with no chance of crap weather. I don't want to have to buy a battery charger to keep a battery plugged in and charging when I'm not using it.

Pat Primmer R.I.P.
Old 05-14-2013, 08:16 AM   #18 (permalink)

JosA is about to kiss the skyJosA is about to kiss the skyJosA is about to kiss the skyJosA is about to kiss the skyJosA is about to kiss the skyJosA is about to kiss the skyJosA is about to kiss the sky
iTrader Score: 43 reviews
Send a message via AIM to JosA

Good call. If its not driven frequently then the battery won't hold a charge after a few days lol

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

<---

<--- For sick a$$ bolts!
JosA is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-14-2013, 08:21 AM   #19 (permalink)

Rep Power: 22 HondaDNA is the fucking MAN!!!!HondaDNA is the fucking MAN!!!!HondaDNA is the fucking MAN!!!!
HondaDNA is the fucking MAN!!!!HondaDNA is the fucking MAN!!!!HondaDNA is the fucking MAN!!!!HondaDNA is the fucking MAN!!!!HondaDNA is the fucking MAN!!!!HondaDNA is the fucking MAN!!!!HondaDNA is the fucking MAN!!!!HondaDNA is the fucking MAN!!!!HondaDNA is the fucking MAN!!!!HondaDNA is the fucking MAN!!!!HondaDNA is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 6 reviews
Send a message via AIM to HondaDNA

Why not just an OEM battery? They have a 100 month warranty, and have been proven to be able to sit for weeks and still start.

A simple hard wired in trickle charger also is a good idea. They are small and just take a second to wire in.

Quote:
Funny enough, Honda did a writeup on how to do that because it is one if the most difficult things to do to...
HondaDNA is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-14-2013, 08:35 AM   #20 (permalink)
the artist formerly known as drexelstudent11

Rep Power: 28 shoebox_civic Still a JDM Star....shoebox_civic Still a JDM Star....
shoebox_civic Still a JDM Star....shoebox_civic Still a JDM Star....
iTrader Score: 14 reviews
Send a message via AIM to shoebox_civic

I'm in the industry, and I buy private labelled Johnson Controls stuff (pep boys, autozone, bosch, etc, all private label JCI product)

my company doesn't make SLI (car) batteries but I wouldn't touch Exide product, I'm leery of Deka, and EnerSys is pretty okay (odyssey, formerly hawker)
90 Skyline GT-R - HKS Drager exhaust, RSR downpipe, metal wheel turbos
shoebox_civic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in