Power Windows - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org D-series Knowledge Factory Audio/Electronics

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-15-2013, 12:39 PM   #1 (permalink)
n00b

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Question Power Windows

My passenger window hasnt been working since i bought the car, so i decided to fix it now, i bought a new regulator w/motor and it didnt work. so im guessing its something with the wires. I checked the fuse (10) with a multimeter and it works, BTW my driver window works fine.
Its a 96 civic ex coupe. My question is does someone know how to check the window motor with the multimeter? and the connector of the harness(for the window motor) to see if power runs through it? i cant find videos how to do it.
any help is aprecciated, i want to fix these small things before i begin my boosting plans. D Power
Mario438 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-15-2013, 12:43 PM   #2 (permalink)
D-series G0D

Rep Power: 30 2jzdreamin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2jzdreamin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2jzdreamin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
2jzdreamin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2jzdreamin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2jzdreamin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2jzdreamin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2jzdreamin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2jzdreamin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2jzdreamin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2jzdreamin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2jzdreamin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2jzdreamin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2jzdreamin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2jzdreamin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2jzdreamin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 49 reviews

my guess is a bad switch or a broken wire,bad connection at the door plug...

PM me for obd1,obd2 & k-series tucked harnesses

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

all so do vtec sub-harness

MAGIC-WIRES FOR YOUR ENGINE HARNESS NEEDS

instagram @magicman9won4
2jzdreamin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-15-2013, 02:48 PM   #3 (permalink)

Rep Power: 0 cavila06 is learning the way of the Dcavila06 is learning the way of the D

may sound dumb but happened to me once .... is the child button thing on in the driver side window switch lol. I swear I did this once and thought my window motor blew I switched everything and all it was I had forgot that I pressed that button lol

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
cavila06 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2013, 02:57 PM   #4 (permalink)
OMG TOTALLY COOL TITLE!!!!

Rep Power: 32 si-hatch86 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !si-hatch86 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !si-hatch86 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
si-hatch86 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !si-hatch86 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !si-hatch86 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 15 reviews
Send a message via AIM to si-hatch86 Send a message via MSN to si-hatch86 Send a message via Yahoo to si-hatch86

Quote:
Originally Posted by cavila06 View Post
may sound dumb but happened to me once .... is the child button thing on in the driver side window switch lol. I swear I did this once and thought my window motor blew I switched everything and all it was I had forgot that I pressed that button lol
dont feel bad i did the same just the other day on my sol. rear and pass. window didnt work after i cleaned interior, i check fuses. check motor and everything. my sister goes and pushes lock button and bam shit worked fine.

RIP Pat Primmer
RIP MILO
si-hatch86 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-15-2013, 06:19 PM   #5 (permalink)
nub
D-Series cadet

Rep Power: 13 nub is a name known to allnub is a name known to allnub is a name known to allnub is a name known to allnub is a name known to allnub is a name known to allnub is a name known to allnub is a name known to allnub is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by si-hatch86 View Post
dont feel bad i did the same just the other day on my sol. rear and pass. window didnt work after i cleaned interior, i check fuses. check motor and everything. my sister goes and pushes lock button and bam shit worked fine.

Done the same thing cleaning the interior. Cool feeling.

The motor has two leads from the harness. 12V + on one wire/terminal on the motor and 12V - on the other and the motor moves. Reverse the power and ground and it goes the opposite direction.

To check the harness test for 12V on either wire with the key on and the switch presses up or down. With 12V to one the second wire should have continuity to ground. Push the swith the other way and the polarity you read should switch.

To test the motor put positive and negative from the/or a car battery to the motor terminals, it should move unless it's already at full travel for that direction. Swap the wires and it should move the other direction.

PatPrimmer
nub is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-15-2013, 07:14 PM   #6 (permalink)
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by cavila06 View Post
OMFG dude i love you, no homo. i never noticed that switch and didnt know that switch was for child locks. it worked i feel so stupid. except the window still dosent work. BUT, i click the switch up/down and now i can hear something which means power goes through. it seems it might be jammed or something i press up/down and hear a kind of click sound once(not the sound of the switch). so then i connected my new motor/regulator (without properly installing it, just to see if it works) and when i turn the car to ON the motor moves in one direction automatically without me pressing the switch?? bad motor? or anyone know why its doing that.

BTW +1 to d-series thank you for the replies. Honda-tech wasnt very helpful with my situation
Old 04-15-2013, 07:25 PM   #7 (permalink)
nub
D-Series cadet

Rep Power: 13 nub is a name known to allnub is a name known to allnub is a name known to allnub is a name known to allnub is a name known to allnub is a name known to allnub is a name known to allnub is a name known to allnub is a name known to all

If the motor moved without you pushing the button the motor isn't the problem.

Test the switch

PatPrimmer
nub is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-15-2013, 07:35 PM   #8 (permalink)
n00b

so if i read your advice correct, sorry for sounding nooby. my first time working with this electrical stuff. but im slowly learning to do most DIY.
to test the switch i put my multimeter on continuity setting right? then turn the key to ON
and plug my multimeter probes into the switch? but it has 4 terminals. which ones do i touch?
Old 04-15-2013, 07:44 PM   #9 (permalink)
n00b

i noticed the wire for the motor it had previously, one wire is orange and the other yellow. And for this new motor i bought the wire is red, and the other blue. Does the color matter? it should be for my car, i bought it on ebay: passenger front window 96-00 honda civic coupe
Old 04-15-2013, 07:57 PM   #10 (permalink)
D-series G0D

Rep Power: 30 2jzdreamin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2jzdreamin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2jzdreamin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
2jzdreamin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2jzdreamin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2jzdreamin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2jzdreamin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2jzdreamin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2jzdreamin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2jzdreamin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2jzdreamin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2jzdreamin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2jzdreamin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2jzdreamin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2jzdreamin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2jzdreamin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !

Color doesn't matter. The switch chages the polarity form pos to neg between the two wires.

Dd you put the new motor in or are you hearing the noise on the old motor?

instagram @magicman9won4
Old 04-15-2013, 08:35 PM   #11 (permalink)
Two men shy of a group

Rep Power: 20 Blu3 is the fucking MAN!!!!Blu3 is the fucking MAN!!!!Blu3 is the fucking MAN!!!!Blu3 is the fucking MAN!!!!
Blu3 is the fucking MAN!!!!Blu3 is the fucking MAN!!!!Blu3 is the fucking MAN!!!!Blu3 is the fucking MAN!!!!Blu3 is the fucking MAN!!!!Blu3 is the fucking MAN!!!!Blu3 is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 7 reviews

im willing to bet its not the switch, its pretty common for the door harness wires to pull out of the pigtails because of the grease honda used.my passenger window used to not work because it was constantly trying to roll up so when i tryed to roll it down it just canceled out and shut the motor off.

to start test for voltage at the 5 pin plug on the door since you know the motor is working, i know Grn/Blk is always 12 volts and im pretty sure Blu/yel is always hot with the key on also which means that the other 3 should not have voltage to them, if they do then you have a hot wire contacting another wire ( most likely the wire controlling the up function of the motor making it try to run)

turbo 99 ex sedan A/C build -

Alicia Aemisegger
Blu3 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-15-2013, 09:42 PM   #12 (permalink)
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2jzdreamin View Post
Color doesn't matter. The switch chages the polarity form pos to neg between the two wires.

Dd you put the new motor in or are you hearing the noise on the old motor?
the old motor sounded like it was stuck when i pressed the switch both sides.
when i connect the new motor it runs automatically one way as soon as i turn the key ON.

i will check the 5 pin for the switch with my multimeter for 12 volts on the wires u mentioned. but how exactly do i check them?
Old 04-15-2013, 09:49 PM   #13 (permalink)
D-series G0D

the motor shouldn't move till you press the switch..you can use a test light or multimeter on the volt setting...have one end grounded to the chassis and stick the other end in one wire of the plug and,see if the light comes on or if you have 12 volts.then do the same to the other wire..

instagram @magicman9won4
Old 04-15-2013, 10:15 PM   #14 (permalink)
n00b

ok i will check tomorrow and post my results. incase anyone else runs into this problem.
thank you. and if all else fails i will make a trip to the junk yard to get a new accesory socket switch to splice the wires, possibly a new window switch, and look for an extra y7 block and y8 head
Old 04-16-2013, 09:52 AM   #15 (permalink)
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blu3 View Post

to start test for voltage at the 5 pin plug on the door since you know the motor is working, i know Grn/Blk is always 12 volts and im pretty sure Blu/yel is always hot with the key on also which means that the other 3 should not have voltage to them, if they do then you have a hot wire contacting another wire ( most likely the wire controlling the up function of the motor making it try to run)
you may be right. the grn/blk & blu/yel wire showed 12.27 volts solid. but the other 3 wires kept fluctuating volts i couldnt get them to get to 0.
so can i just get a connector from a junk yard, and splice the wires to the new ones? will that work.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Security Question
*Required, this field is not shown to others: While balancing on a piece of wood, two inches by four inches known as a 2x4, john and his friend sally both spotted a dalmatian inside a truck with sirens, headed to put out a fire. State what kind of animal is mentioned in the sentence above.
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in