Ballast info. - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org D-series Knowledge Factory Audio/Electronics

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-05-2013, 08:53 AM   #1 (permalink)
D-series post SLUT

Rep Power: 11 uptownsamcv is a name known to alluptownsamcv is a name known to alluptownsamcv is a name known to alluptownsamcv is a name known to alluptownsamcv is a name known to alluptownsamcv is a name known to alluptownsamcv is a name known to alluptownsamcv is a name known to all
iTrader Score: 3 reviews
Default Ballast info.

i picked up a set of ballast since one of mine went bad. i decided to go with these slim ones i found on ebay wich fit better in the CRX . after i installed them i come to find out that its weak and the bulb doesnt reach the full color ( 4300k ) . it looks a little blueish. ill have to do a night time comparison to see if its lowering the light output as well....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	right side with regular ballast.jpg
Views:	288
Size:	862.1 KB
ID:	36673   Click image for larger version

Name:	left side with slim ballast.jpg
Views:	365
Size:	859.3 KB
ID:	36681   Click image for larger version

Name:	HID ballast right.jpg
Views:	190
Size:	949.0 KB
ID:	36689   Click image for larger version

Name:	HID ballast left.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	728.4 KB
ID:	36697  
uptownsamcv is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-05-2013, 09:02 AM   #2 (permalink)
D-Series cadet

Rep Power: 7 slow4doorek is a name known to allslow4doorek is a name known to allslow4doorek is a name known to allslow4doorek is a name known to allslow4doorek is a name known to allslow4doorek is a name known to allslow4doorek is a name known to allslow4doorek is a name known to all
iTrader Score: 5 reviews

I've never had any luck with the slim ballasts. They seemed to me like they didn't come up to temp and never lasted that long. I went through 3 of those on my passeneger side and had the same fat one on the drivers side for years.

Quote:
Why would you wanna put pisswater in a new tranny?
[email protected] 1.9 60ft 1750lbs sedan y7/z6 notec head
stock block y7 265k and counting

[email protected] 1.8 60ft 1655lbs sedan y7/z6 head
vtec locked bisi stage 3 same ol block

Rip Pat Primmer.
slow4doorek is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-05-2013, 09:03 AM   #3 (permalink)
D-Series cadet

Rep Power: 19 2000redCIVICsi is hot as a volcano2000redCIVICsi is hot as a volcano
2000redCIVICsi is hot as a volcano2000redCIVICsi is hot as a volcano2000redCIVICsi is hot as a volcano2000redCIVICsi is hot as a volcano2000redCIVICsi is hot as a volcano2000redCIVICsi is hot as a volcano2000redCIVICsi is hot as a volcano2000redCIVICsi is hot as a volcano2000redCIVICsi is hot as a volcano2000redCIVICsi is hot as a volcano2000redCIVICsi is hot as a volcano
iTrader Score: 2 reviews

Dig.

1991 Civic Si 335,000 miles

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

The engine doesnt matter. Its small, it pulls, and when it makes noise I advance forward.
2010 Fusion Hybrid
2005 Honda Shadow Aero
2004 Honda XR50 (88cc)
2003 Toyota Tundra TRD
1965 Honda CT-200
2000redCIVICsi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2013, 09:23 AM   #4 (permalink)
D-series post SLUT

Rep Power: 11 uptownsamcv is a name known to alluptownsamcv is a name known to alluptownsamcv is a name known to alluptownsamcv is a name known to alluptownsamcv is a name known to alluptownsamcv is a name known to alluptownsamcv is a name known to alluptownsamcv is a name known to all

if the light output isnt as good i might try a 55watt slim ballast
Old 04-05-2013, 10:13 PM   #5 (permalink)
D-series post SLUT

heres a night pic
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2013-04-06_01-56-17_842.jpg
Views:	280
Size:	374.3 KB
ID:	36737  
Old 04-05-2013, 10:19 PM   #6 (permalink)
D-series post SLUT

Rep Power: 14 19si91 is hot as a volcano19si91 is hot as a volcano
19si91 is hot as a volcano19si91 is hot as a volcano19si91 is hot as a volcano19si91 is hot as a volcano19si91 is hot as a volcano19si91 is hot as a volcano19si91 is hot as a volcano19si91 is hot as a volcano19si91 is hot as a volcano
iTrader Score: 15 reviews

I just get my kits from ddm tuning. Cheap and works well everytime.
1991 Honda Civic Hatchback Si
1998 Honda Civic Sedan EX

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

19si91 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-05-2013, 11:58 PM   #7 (permalink)
D-series PIMP

Rep Power: 25 all_rice is the fucking MAN!!!!all_rice is the fucking MAN!!!!all_rice is the fucking MAN!!!!all_rice is the fucking MAN!!!!
all_rice is the fucking MAN!!!!all_rice is the fucking MAN!!!!all_rice is the fucking MAN!!!!all_rice is the fucking MAN!!!!all_rice is the fucking MAN!!!!all_rice is the fucking MAN!!!!all_rice is the fucking MAN!!!!all_rice is the fucking MAN!!!!all_rice is the fucking MAN!!!!all_rice is the fucking MAN!!!!all_rice is the fucking MAN!!!!all_rice is the fucking MAN!!!!all_rice is the fucking MAN!!!!all_rice is the fucking MAN!!!!all_rice is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 19 reviews

Wow that's weird that it happened from just changing the ballast? Did you try and swap ballast to the other side and see if it still does it?
all_rice is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-06-2013, 02:14 AM   #8 (permalink)
D-series post SLUT

the new ballasts are making the lights look blue. in those pics the passenger side light is using an older ballast that is still working.

what happened was i had a ballast that was bad so i ordered 2 new slim ones since they are compact..

Last edited by uptownsamcv; 04-06-2013 at 02:18 AM.
Old 04-06-2013, 07:48 AM   #9 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 10 cdawg will become famous soon enoughcdawg will become famous soon enoughcdawg will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to cdawg

open the balast up and take a pic in the inside, sometimes you can turn then up and down.
cdawg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-06-2013, 07:49 AM   #10 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 10 cdawg will become famous soon enoughcdawg will become famous soon enoughcdawg will become famous soon enough

Old 04-06-2013, 08:29 AM   #11 (permalink)
D-series post SLUT

i noticed that video yesterday. ill try that tomorow. last i remember i didnt see any screws on these to open it up with..
Old 04-06-2013, 10:01 AM   #12 (permalink)
All powerful D-series member

Rep Power: 22 HondaDNA is the fucking MAN!!!!HondaDNA is the fucking MAN!!!!HondaDNA is the fucking MAN!!!!
HondaDNA is the fucking MAN!!!!HondaDNA is the fucking MAN!!!!HondaDNA is the fucking MAN!!!!HondaDNA is the fucking MAN!!!!HondaDNA is the fucking MAN!!!!HondaDNA is the fucking MAN!!!!HondaDNA is the fucking MAN!!!!HondaDNA is the fucking MAN!!!!HondaDNA is the fucking MAN!!!!HondaDNA is the fucking MAN!!!!HondaDNA is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 6 reviews
Send a message via AIM to HondaDNA

Off topic: I'll never buy a 35w ballast again, 55w from now on.

Quote:
Funny enough, Honda did a writeup on how to do that because it is one if the most difficult things to do to...
HondaDNA is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-06-2013, 04:49 PM   #13 (permalink)
D-series post SLUT

the last pair of ballast I got were from the flea market. original ines were a pilot kit what costed me $160 back in 06
Old 04-07-2013, 01:27 AM   #14 (permalink)
D-series PIMP

Rep Power: 25 all_rice is the fucking MAN!!!!all_rice is the fucking MAN!!!!all_rice is the fucking MAN!!!!all_rice is the fucking MAN!!!!
all_rice is the fucking MAN!!!!all_rice is the fucking MAN!!!!all_rice is the fucking MAN!!!!all_rice is the fucking MAN!!!!all_rice is the fucking MAN!!!!all_rice is the fucking MAN!!!!all_rice is the fucking MAN!!!!all_rice is the fucking MAN!!!!all_rice is the fucking MAN!!!!all_rice is the fucking MAN!!!!all_rice is the fucking MAN!!!!all_rice is the fucking MAN!!!!all_rice is the fucking MAN!!!!all_rice is the fucking MAN!!!!all_rice is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 19 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by HondaDNA View Post
Off topic: I'll never buy a 35w ballast again, 55w from now on.
Do you have any pics of the difference? I remember when they first started selling 55w, they said it were the bulbs but the ballast were still 35w. Never tried a 55w ballast. I've used ddm and retro solutions ballasts with no issues. I'm waiting on some from try now.
all_rice is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-07-2013, 10:49 AM   #15 (permalink)
()*#$(*$

Rep Power: 0 The_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edge
The_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edge
iTrader Score: 28 reviews
Send a message via AIM to The_Acid_Beaver

*shakes head at all this HID nonsense*

Run 4 high beam SilverStar bulbs (by old-school plug modifying or buying new plugs) off relays direct from the batteries. You will crap your pants at how good the light is.

I don't give a damn about my bad reputation.

RTFM. No, really. Do it.

The_Acid_Beaver is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-07-2013, 12:32 PM   #16 (permalink)
D-Series cadet

Rep Power: 9 Revlimit48  is slowly gaining respectRevlimit48  is slowly gaining respectRevlimit48  is slowly gaining respectRevlimit48  is slowly gaining respectRevlimit48  is slowly gaining respect

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Acid_Beaver View Post
*shakes head at all this HID nonsense*

Run 4 high beam SilverStar bulbs (by old-school plug modifying or buying new plugs) off relays direct from the batteries. You will crap your pants at how good the light is.
Can you elaborate on the 4 bulbs?

I am using my phone 99% of the time so ignore the jumbled mess lol.

Quote:
we dont hate on other Cars/hondas, we just love D's
Revlimit48 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-08-2013, 02:03 PM   #17 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revlimit48 View Post
lol reason for the relays, so they kick on both lights, alot of people do those mods for high beams in chevys so both low and high beams are on, did it on my tahoe, it took around 15 minutes to do.
Old 04-09-2013, 03:54 AM   #18 (permalink)
D-series post SLUT

silver stars cost too much. lines and on the road seem to have a nice glow with HID. no turning back to halogen for me.
Old 04-09-2013, 12:41 PM   #19 (permalink)
()*#$(*$

Rep Power: 0 The_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edge
The_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edge
iTrader Score: 28 reviews
Send a message via AIM to The_Acid_Beaver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revlimit48 View Post
Yes, I can. The only difference between the high beam bulb socket and the low beam bulb socket on 2G/4G Civic-based cars is one tab. You can mod the socket by trimming the tab on the low beam socket in order to accept the high beam bulb. This gives you 4 higher wattage bulbs. This makes a huge difference when coupled with upgrading the headlight wiring.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdawg View Post
lol reason for the relays, so they kick on both lights, alot of people do those mods for high beams in chevys so both low and high beams are on, did it on my tahoe, it took around 15 minutes to do.
No. I run the bulbs through a relay directly off the battery. Even stock wattage bulbs HIGHLY benefit from increasing the wire cross section and installing new sockets, as most headlight sockets are crusty from 20+ years of road gunk and heat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by uptownsamcv View Post
silver stars cost too much. lines and on the road seem to have a nice glow with HID. no turning back to halogen for me.
BS. How is a set of SilverStars more expensive than a dumb HID kit that burns out every few months? They also light better than throwing a gheytarded HID "kit" into the car and blinding the rest of the world with the glare scatter from incorrect reflectors. The light emitted from most of these stupid cheap kits is really very terrible. Do yourself and everyone a favor and stop being a douche who thinks HIDs look "cool." :/

I don't give a damn about my bad reputation.

RTFM. No, really. Do it.

The_Acid_Beaver is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-10-2013, 02:48 AM   #20 (permalink)
D-series post SLUT

ive had 4300k 35 watt HID kit in my crx for around 5 years and it doesnt blind oncomming drivers, from what ive seen mainly cars with dual fillament bulbs that have HID installed give a horrible glare. ive been running HID kits in my cars since 2006 and no one has ever flashed me.

the first car i put HID's in was my ford contour wich used 9006 low beams similar to the CRX and when i aimed it with the built in leveler it did not bother other drivers, i did a road test with my friend. i had installed a set on my brother's 95 caddy and it also used 9006 low beam and with proper aim the light doesnt blind oncomming drivers.

with dual fillament bulbs the HID hits the high beam reflector and thats what bothers oncomming drivers..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Security Question
*Required, this field is not shown to others: While balancing on a piece of wood, two inches by four inches known as a 2x4, john and his friend sally both spotted a dalmatian inside a truck with sirens, headed to put out a fire. State what kind of animal is mentioned in the sentence above.
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in