Climate control and cluster lights need serious help - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org D-series Knowledge Factory Audio/Electronics

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-28-2013, 12:40 AM   #1 (permalink)
D-series PIMP

Rep Power: 12 559civic_dx is hot as a volcano559civic_dx is hot as a volcano
559civic_dx is hot as a volcano
iTrader Score: 21 reviews
Default Climate control and cluster lights need serious help

Ok so the 96 hatch I picked up, the lights don't work on the dash. I'm totally confused. Checked the fuses and number 30 and 28 were popped. I replaced them still nothing. I pulled my dash apart and started checking wires I pulled out an old alarm in there as well, but still no lights if I check the wires there is current going through but for some reason no light from the bulbs. On my cluster the only lots that work are the icons like the cel srs etc but the actual lighting is what isn't coming on any one have any ideas?

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

my 1996 hatch build in progress

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

R.I.P. Pat Primmer
[B]R.I.P. CALI NOOB
559civic_dx is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-28-2013, 04:13 AM   #2 (permalink)
wise in the ways of the D

BiggieBert Still a JDM Star....BiggieBert Still a JDM Star....BiggieBert Still a JDM Star....BiggieBert Still a JDM Star....
iTrader Score: 12 reviews

have you tried replacing the bulbs?

Quote:
you will get stuck in the "willfully ignorant" category and I will do what I can to see that you never get an answer to any question you ever ask on this forum again.

BiggieBert is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-28-2013, 04:19 AM   #3 (permalink)
D-series post SLUT

Rep Power: 30 BigJnWorldWide is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BigJnWorldWide is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BigJnWorldWide is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
BigJnWorldWide is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BigJnWorldWide is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BigJnWorldWide is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BigJnWorldWide is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BigJnWorldWide is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BigJnWorldWide is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BigJnWorldWide is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BigJnWorldWide is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BigJnWorldWide is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BigJnWorldWide is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BigJnWorldWide is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BigJnWorldWide is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BigJnWorldWide is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BigJnWorldWide is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 14 reviews
Send a message via AIM to BigJnWorldWide Send a message via Yahoo to BigJnWorldWide

Dimmer switch might have taken a poop.

Pop it out of the dash, UN hook the connector and jump the black wite to the red wire (NOT the red/black wire)

Let me know what's up.

On top of that you have a special knowledge, an understanding of the complexity of the things happening. Others see you turn the wheel and push down on the gas, not you. You see a symphony of combustion and physics. You see a balance between frictional coefficients, tire roll over, spring rates, and throttle. It's a beautiful thing to see all these components working in harmony, it's literally a ballet of force and mathematics!
BigJnWorldWide is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2013, 09:07 AM   #4 (permalink)
D-series PIMP

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJnWorldWide View Post
Dimmer switch might have taken a poop.

Pop it out of the dash, UN hook the connector and jump the black wite to the red wire (NOT the red/black wire)

Let me know what's up.

Ok tried that and got nothing

R.I.P. Pat Primmer
[B]R.I.P. CALI NOOB
Old 03-28-2013, 09:22 AM   #5 (permalink)
D-series G0D

Rep Power: 30 2jzdreamin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2jzdreamin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2jzdreamin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
2jzdreamin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2jzdreamin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2jzdreamin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2jzdreamin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2jzdreamin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2jzdreamin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2jzdreamin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2jzdreamin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2jzdreamin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2jzdreamin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2jzdreamin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2jzdreamin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2jzdreamin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 49 reviews

Are you getting 12 volts to the red/black wire and ground to the red wire at the cluster plug?

Did you disconnect any thing to do with heater?

PM me for obd1,obd2 & k-series tucked harnesses

all so do vtec sub-harness

MAGIC-WIRES FOR YOUR ENGINE HARNESS NEEDS

instagram @magicman9won4
2jzdreamin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-28-2013, 09:26 AM   #6 (permalink)
D-series PIMP

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2jzdreamin View Post
Are you getting 12 volts to the red/black wire and ground to the red wire at the cluster plug?

Did you disconnect any thing to do with heater?
Let me make sure i understood correct the red wire should be ground? and no did not disconect any heater plugs

R.I.P. Pat Primmer
[B]R.I.P. CALI NOOB
Old 03-28-2013, 09:29 AM   #7 (permalink)
All powerful D-series member

custom_junky is a Top Aussiecustom_junky is a Top Aussiecustom_junky is a Top Aussiecustom_junky is a Top Aussiecustom_junky is a Top Aussiecustom_junky is a Top Aussiecustom_junky is a Top Aussiecustom_junky is a Top Aussiecustom_junky is a Top Aussiecustom_junky is a Top Aussiecustom_junky is a Top Aussie
iTrader Score: 4 reviews

hmmmm...black should be ground...or am i being daft?

Quote:
There's two things in life you never want people to know about you...
1. You know how to work on cars.
2. You know how to work on computers.

You my friend are cursed with this info being out in the open.
^ little truth ^

R.I.P. Milo
R.I.P. PatPrimmer
custom_junky is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-28-2013, 09:31 AM   #8 (permalink)
D-series G0D

Rep Power: 30 2jzdreamin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2jzdreamin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2jzdreamin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
2jzdreamin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2jzdreamin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2jzdreamin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2jzdreamin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2jzdreamin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2jzdreamin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2jzdreamin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2jzdreamin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2jzdreamin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2jzdreamin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2jzdreamin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2jzdreamin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2jzdreamin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !

Quote:
Originally Posted by 559civic_dx View Post
Let me make sure i understood correct the red wire should be ground? and no did not disconect any heater plugs

Quote:
Originally Posted by custom_junky View Post
hmmmm...black should be ground...or am i being daft?
The red on the cluster lighting is ground. This is only on the cluster lighting.

instagram @magicman9won4
Old 03-28-2013, 09:42 AM   #9 (permalink)
D-series PIMP

I checked the red wire one cluster plug. It was the 2nd wire over it did not have ground it did have continuity with the red wire on dimmer switch so i checked that wire for continuity to ground as well i got nothing

R.I.P. Pat Primmer
[B]R.I.P. CALI NOOB
Old 03-28-2013, 09:45 AM   #10 (permalink)
D-series G0D

Quote:
I checked the red wire one cluster plug. It was the 2nd wire over it did not have ground it did have continuity with the red wire on dimmer switch so i checked that wire for continuity to ground as well i got nothing

Did you check for power at the red/black wire? Remember the head light switch needs to be on to check for power on the red/black wire.

instagram @magicman9won4
Old 03-28-2013, 09:51 AM   #11 (permalink)
D-series PIMP

Quote:
Did you check for power at the red/black wire? Remember the head light switch needs to be on to check for power on the red/black wire.
Ok you just confused me you said check for ground at the red and black and now you wabt me to check for power at same wire?

R.I.P. Pat Primmer
[B]R.I.P. CALI NOOB
Old 03-28-2013, 09:54 AM   #12 (permalink)
D-series G0D

Quote:
Ok you just confused me you said check for ground at the red and black and now you wabt me to check for power at same wire?

Sorry man. The red wire is the ground wire for the cluster lights. The red/black is power for cluster lights.

You need to check the red/black wire for power with the head light switch on. Are the bulbs in the cluster good?

instagram @magicman9won4
Old 03-28-2013, 09:56 AM   #13 (permalink)
D-series PIMP

Quote:
Sorry man. The red wire is the ground wire for the cluster lights. The red/black is power for cluster lights.

You need to check the red/black wire for power with the head light switch on. Are the bulbs in the cluster good?
Bulbs are good give me a sec to retry test

R.I.P. Pat Primmer
[B]R.I.P. CALI NOOB
Old 03-28-2013, 10:02 AM   #14 (permalink)
D-series PIMP

Yes via my test light the red and black has power on the cluster plug and on the dimmer switch

R.I.P. Pat Primmer
[B]R.I.P. CALI NOOB
Old 03-28-2013, 10:07 AM   #15 (permalink)
D-series G0D

Quote:
Yes via my test light the red and black has power on the cluster plug and on the dimmer switch

Ok. Now if you take a piece of wire and stick it in the red wire on the cluster plug and ground the other end it should light up.

like this..

[IMG] Uploaded with ImageShack.us[/IMG]

instagram @magicman9won4

Last edited by 2jzdreamin; 03-28-2013 at 10:10 AM.
Old 03-28-2013, 10:10 AM   #16 (permalink)
D-series PIMP

Lol i did that and nothing...

R.I.P. Pat Primmer
[B]R.I.P. CALI NOOB
Old 03-28-2013, 10:15 AM   #17 (permalink)
All powerful D-series member

custom_junky is a Top Aussiecustom_junky is a Top Aussiecustom_junky is a Top Aussiecustom_junky is a Top Aussiecustom_junky is a Top Aussiecustom_junky is a Top Aussiecustom_junky is a Top Aussiecustom_junky is a Top Aussiecustom_junky is a Top Aussiecustom_junky is a Top Aussiecustom_junky is a Top Aussie
iTrader Score: 4 reviews

Quote:
The red on the cluster lighting is ground. This is only on the cluster lighting.
so i am daft

learn something new everyday

Quote:
There's two things in life you never want people to know about you...
1. You know how to work on cars.
2. You know how to work on computers.

You my friend are cursed with this info being out in the open.
^ little truth ^

R.I.P. Milo
R.I.P. PatPrimmer
custom_junky is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-28-2013, 10:18 AM   #18 (permalink)
D-series G0D

Quote:
Lol i did that and nothing...

Ok I might know what the problem is but it's only a guess. I think the gold is lead that sends signal to the lights is messed up. Give me a sec to take pics and upload them to show you what to try. Better yet pm me your number and ill try to send a video to explain it better.

instagram @magicman9won4
Old 03-28-2013, 10:18 AM   #19 (permalink)
D-series post SLUT

Rep Power: 30 BigJnWorldWide is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BigJnWorldWide is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BigJnWorldWide is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
BigJnWorldWide is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BigJnWorldWide is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BigJnWorldWide is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BigJnWorldWide is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BigJnWorldWide is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BigJnWorldWide is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BigJnWorldWide is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BigJnWorldWide is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BigJnWorldWide is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BigJnWorldWide is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BigJnWorldWide is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BigJnWorldWide is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BigJnWorldWide is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BigJnWorldWide is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 14 reviews
Send a message via AIM to BigJnWorldWide Send a message via Yahoo to BigJnWorldWide

Dang, dude! I need to see if I have my electrical gremlin repelant. I'll ship it to you if I can find it. lol

2JZ, im surprised your instructions didn't help him. I wonder if there is a short in a wire somewhere?

Srysly, good luck!
On top of that you have a special knowledge, an understanding of the complexity of the things happening. Others see you turn the wheel and push down on the gas, not you. You see a symphony of combustion and physics. You see a balance between frictional coefficients, tire roll over, spring rates, and throttle. It's a beautiful thing to see all these components working in harmony, it's literally a ballet of force and mathematics!
BigJnWorldWide is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-28-2013, 10:20 AM   #20 (permalink)
D-series PIMP

Quote:
Ok I might know what the problem is but it's only a guess. I think the gold is lead that sends signal to the lights is messed up. Give me a sec to take pics and upload them to show you what to try. Better yet pm me your number and ill try to send a video to explain it better.

pm sent

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJnWorldWide View Post
Dang, dude! I need to see if I have my electrical gremlin repelant. I'll ship it to you if I can find it. lol

2JZ, im surprised your instructions didn't help him. I wonder if there is a short in a wire somewhere?

Srysly, good luck!
Thanks big j

R.I.P. Pat Primmer
[B]R.I.P. CALI NOOB
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Security Question
*Required, this field is not shown to others: While balancing on a piece of wood, two inches by four inches known as a 2x4, john and his friend sally both spotted a dalmatian inside a truck with sirens, headed to put out a fire. State what kind of animal is mentioned in the sentence above.
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in