Port and Polish - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org D-series Knowledge Factory Archived Technical Info Posts

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-18-2003, 10:47 PM   #1 (permalink)
DOG
All powerful D-series member

Rep Power: 18 DOG is approaching greatnessDOG is approaching greatnessDOG is approaching greatnessDOG is approaching greatnessDOG is approaching greatnessDOG is approaching greatnessDOG is approaching greatnessDOG is approaching greatnessDOG is approaching greatnessDOG is approaching greatnessDOG is approaching greatnessDOG is approaching greatnessDOG is approaching greatnessDOG is approaching greatness
iTrader Score: 18 reviews
Send a message via AIM to DOG

Port
and
Polish

Anyone one else out there doing any custom work to your heads, intake manifolds or anything else? Use a die grinder or maybe a dremel like me? Post what your projects. Try to be as informative as possible. Pics are always welcome.

Thanks to Dane for the following helpfull links:
http://nicotine.golden.net/D-Series/Porting/
http://www.ag.auburn.edu/users/gparm...es/flowbench2/
http://www.theoldone.com/articles/d16a_head/

Thanks to superautobacs for the following link:

Ideas: Flow Velocity, Flow Capacity, Flow Quality
www.team-integra.net
http://www.team-integra.net/sections...sp?ArticleID=4

Here's a few previous posts on the subject:

Z6 vs. Y8 head discussions, information, and comparisons
https://www.d-series.org/forums/showthread.php?t=2245
Head Porting for the Do-It-Yourselfer
http://www.sa-motorsports.com/diyport.shtm
D Series Porting...
http://www.honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=446708
PnP project thread
https://www.d-series.org/forums/showthread.php?t=13760
Welded Combustion Chambers
https://www.d-series.org/forums/showthread.php?t=9219
Honda-Tech thread on porting with info from Bisi.
http://www.honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=446708
Article on Cylinder Head Modification by ol'skoolrex_PH
https://www.d-series.org/forums/showthread.php?t=5553
The D15Beast7 lives again
https://www.d-series.org/forums/showthread.php?t=13661
DIY Porting
https://www.d-series.org/forums/showthread.php?t=2036

Last edited by DOG; 03-15-2005 at 02:25 PM.
DOG is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-19-2003, 02:49 AM   #2 (permalink)
gonzo

Rep Power: 0 Lule will become famous soon enoughLule will become famous soon enoughLule will become famous soon enough
iTrader Score: 1 reviews

I've done plenty. The flex shaft for the Dremel is awesome. All I used were the sanding drums, a small carbide cutter, and the 511 buffs. The buffs rock. Got your Devcon aluminum yet?
Lule is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-19-2003, 04:57 AM   #3 (permalink)
moonlapse

I used a flex shaft Dremel with a carbide bit, some assorted grinding stones, roll cartridges, and wire wheels.

It worked ok but I'm going to get something better for my next head.
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2003, 05:21 AM   #4 (permalink)
davens

I did more of a polish than port job on a d16a6 head...I went through about 6-8 flapper wheels and 5-6 abrasive buffs...worked great.

I also found I like the power of my rotozip more then my dremel.
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-19-2003, 01:52 PM   #5 (permalink)
DOG

Rep Power: 18 DOG is approaching greatnessDOG is approaching greatnessDOG is approaching greatnessDOG is approaching greatnessDOG is approaching greatnessDOG is approaching greatnessDOG is approaching greatnessDOG is approaching greatnessDOG is approaching greatnessDOG is approaching greatnessDOG is approaching greatnessDOG is approaching greatnessDOG is approaching greatnessDOG is approaching greatness

I have a auto y8 IM that I have been experimenting with. I ported the TB opening out to 65mm and shaved off alot of the excess aluminum knobby type pieces off. I figured with an auto y8 IM if I mess up no big deal. Well it has turned out pretty good. The EACV mount on the back is finished so I can use regular TB and the manual y8 EACV. However, I am trying to make it where the EACV mounts remotely on the firewall. I am going to use 2 vac. fittings with nipples, and use liquid aluminum to mount them in the back where the EACV goes. run vac hose to a modified EACV that will be mounted to an L-shaped aluminum plate with nipples mounted on the plate. run the hoses to the EACV and keep the heat off the IM. I am also planning on drilling a mounting for the IAT onto the y8. Suggestions on location?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 12-19-2003, 02:52 PM   #6 (permalink)
D-series lover

https://d-series.org/viewtopic.php?t=...72787bf86c4976
Old 12-19-2003, 03:13 PM   #7 (permalink)
DOG

Quote:
Originally Posted by soccaian
https://d-series.org/viewtopic.php?t=1956&sid=b45e0baad4fe86fe13727 87bf86c4976
Thanks soccaian. I was looking for that one. Have you done anything more? Z6 head? Im going to start on my a6 here soon.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 12-20-2003, 02:45 AM   #8 (permalink)
gonzo

Rep Power: 0 Lule will become famous soon enoughLule will become famous soon enoughLule will become famous soon enough

I put my IAT just behind my air filter. I felt it may be subjected to engine heat if it were installed in the manifold.
Old 12-20-2003, 08:39 AM   #9 (permalink)
DOG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lule
I put my IAT just behind my air filter. I felt it may be subjected to engine heat if it were installed in the manifold.
I may just mount it to the Intake tube.

Old 12-21-2003, 01:30 PM   #10 (permalink)
DOG

Well I got my auto y8 IM finished. Put vac fittings on the back where the EACV usually goes. I had machined the holes for the EACV and was going to mount it like the manual y8 IM. But after thinking about what we came up with I figured I might as well try it. I used some metal epoxy since this is my experimental (emphasis on mental) y8 IM. But, to make it easier where you can go back to the original mounting place, you could tap some threads in and screw the fittings in. If you want to go back to stock mount just unscrew the fittings. The TB hole is now 65mm and turned out very well after polishing. All thats left to do is make the remote EACV mounting bracket. Im keeping my fingers crossed in hopes that this will work.

Old 12-31-2003, 05:45 PM   #11 (permalink)
DOG

Port-matched my HP header and the exhaust ports on an a6 head today. Had so much fun I portmatched the intake side and an IM. Damn I love my dremels.

Old 12-31-2003, 08:55 PM   #12 (permalink)
DOG

[quote="davens"]I did more of a polish than port job on a d16a6 head...I went through about 6-8 flapper wheels and 5-6 abrasive buffs...worked great.

These are pretty much what I used after I had opened up the ports with the sanding tubes. They worked very well. I think it will really benefit the a6 head I am working on. When compared to the oem y7 head I could see that the ports could use some opening up. Next is the chambers. Just a little cleaning up using the buffs only

Old 01-01-2004, 11:27 AM   #13 (permalink)
D-series lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondadog
Quote:
Originally Posted by soccaian
https://d-series.org/viewtopic.php?t=1956&sid=b45e0baad4fe86fe13727 87bf86c4976
Thanks soccaian. I was looking for that one. Have you done anything more? Z6 head? Im going to start on my a6 here soon.
no, i havent done much more besides puttin the head back together

i've got a few pics of the combustion chambers, but we-todd won't let this site use them...

it's a y8 head (square shaped combustion chambers)
Old 01-03-2004, 04:39 AM   #14 (permalink)
gonzo

Do you love those Dremel buffs or what? It's like they were made for heads.
Old 01-03-2004, 09:03 AM   #15 (permalink)
DOG

Hell yeah I love them. Makes it very easy.

Old 01-07-2004, 06:14 AM   #16 (permalink)
D-series lover

iTrader Score: 0 reviews

i started cleaning up the ports on my a6 last night. Are you guys that take materal off the guides, do you do it to both the intake and exhaust? The exhaust guide area look like a restrictive place. also, i was thinking of putting tape or somthing around the valve seats to not mess them up.. what do yall do about this
oldschoolteg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-07-2004, 10:42 AM   #17 (permalink)
DOG

I only go about 1"-1.75" inside the ports and stay away from the Valve guide areas. You should be able to do that pretty easy. I stuffed paper towels down the ports and pushed it in securely where I didnt want to go.

Old 01-07-2004, 11:14 AM   #18 (permalink)
D-series lover

iTrader Score: 0 reviews

i pulled out all the exhaust valves and started taking away at the guide area. It looks like abottle neck on the stock head. and, ive been very careful around the seats

Bisi said removing valve guide pertrustions is beneficial
oldschoolteg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-07-2004, 12:06 PM   #19 (permalink)
DOG

Just be careful no to produce any ridges. A nice uniform smoothness is what I tried for. I still have some work to do on my exhaust ports on the bottom and top wall inbetween the dividers close to the openings of the ports. If that makes sense?

Old 01-09-2004, 08:11 PM   #20 (permalink)
DOG

oldschoolteg hows it coming along? Any progress? I just got through finishing up on my exhaust ports. So Im finally done with the a6 head, at least as far as the intake and exhaust ports. Now all I need to do is upgrade the cam and valvetrain.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in