DIY Porting - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org D-series Knowledge Factory Archived Technical Info Posts

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-04-2003, 11:09 PM   #1 (permalink)
DOG
All powerful D-series member

Rep Power: 18 DOG is approaching greatnessDOG is approaching greatnessDOG is approaching greatnessDOG is approaching greatnessDOG is approaching greatnessDOG is approaching greatnessDOG is approaching greatnessDOG is approaching greatnessDOG is approaching greatnessDOG is approaching greatnessDOG is approaching greatnessDOG is approaching greatnessDOG is approaching greatnessDOG is approaching greatness
iTrader Score: 18 reviews
Send a message via AIM to DOG

http://www.sa-motorsports.com/diyport.htm

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

DOG is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-06-2003, 02:45 AM   #2 (permalink)
gonzo

Rep Power: 0 Lule will become famous soon enoughLule will become famous soon enoughLule will become famous soon enough
iTrader Score: 1 reviews

I found the Standard Abrasives rolls to be a bit large for the Honda head. I felt that the Dremel sizes were better as they were smaller. The article is a good write though.
Lule is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-06-2003, 08:04 PM   #3 (permalink)
DOG

Rep Power: 18 DOG is approaching greatnessDOG is approaching greatnessDOG is approaching greatnessDOG is approaching greatnessDOG is approaching greatnessDOG is approaching greatnessDOG is approaching greatnessDOG is approaching greatnessDOG is approaching greatnessDOG is approaching greatnessDOG is approaching greatnessDOG is approaching greatnessDOG is approaching greatnessDOG is approaching greatness

Speaking of dremels. I just got a really good deal at a pawn shop for 2 dremels and a bunch of extras for 30 bucks. They work pretty good for grinding and polishing aluminum.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 01-03-2004, 07:17 PM   #4 (permalink)
Dane

Do any of you guys use a flow bench? What kind of results did you see form you work?
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-03-2004, 07:38 PM   #5 (permalink)
DOG

Nope, no flow bench here. Strickly by feel and sight for me. I wish I had access to a flow bench.

Old 01-04-2004, 08:21 PM   #6 (permalink)
Dane

I plan on trying to build my own. I have the plans out of hot rod mag I found on the net. I am just waiting till im out of x-mas debt. I can give you a link if your intarested? Let me know maby we can swap horror storys of the build.
Old 01-04-2004, 09:40 PM   #7 (permalink)
DOG

sweet. post that link. Ive got some limited info stickied in the engine building section if you havent seen it.

Old 01-05-2004, 07:54 AM   #8 (permalink)
Dane

Check it out! Its an older bench that MSD had sitting in there shop and hot rod copied it and documented it! Let me know what you think and if you find any good deals on vaccume motors?

http://www.ag.auburn.edu/users/gparm...es/flowbench2/

Your gonna have to copy and past this into a new window sorry.
Old 01-05-2004, 10:21 AM   #9 (permalink)
DOG

Holy six toed cats!!!!!! Wow! Good job on finding that.

Old 01-05-2004, 10:59 AM   #10 (permalink)
Dane

I also found a site that uses the same plans but they try to sell them to you ?Basterds!!

If I ever get my shit together I will post pics of the build and stuff. I am intarested in doing heads and making some power. The cool part about head work is any one can do it but not every one can be good. I have a friend who dose lots of swaps and such so he has lots of practice heads for me
So I hope I can do some decent work and not just crap!

I plan on using a dremel to do the porting but I want to have a bench before I start doing work! Valve jobs are also half the battle so I need to find a person to do that to.

If I find an more good info I will post links!!
Old 01-06-2004, 01:25 PM   #11 (permalink)
Dane

Here's another one for you honddog.

http://nicotine.golden.net/D-Series/Porting/

This is more of what you are doing right now.
its not a honda head but I hope it helps.
Old 01-06-2004, 01:48 PM   #12 (permalink)
DOG

Another good one. Damn your on the ball. I like those five golden rules. I think Ill leave the chambers alone they are 38cc chambers on the a6 and I think it best with my limited experience to stay with easy things like the ports. Maybe with some more practice and a working flow bench it would be feasible to do the chambers myself.

Old 01-06-2004, 02:02 PM   #13 (permalink)
Dane

Yeah that sounds good. I know its easy to mess up the flow rather than help.

I think that one of the most important areas on a d series head is the the bowl and a good 3 angle valve job. You can also work the runners on the intake side. I have also read that its not worth putting in over sized valves unless you are using forced induction so I think you should be shooting for more velocity rather then opening the runners and port entry unless you are going for top end rather than a balance of tq and hp.

All is just opinion and things I have read so feel free to correct it. I also think we should drill exospeed for some info you know he should know what he's doing!!
Old 01-06-2004, 02:36 PM   #14 (permalink)
DOG

I agree with you on all accounts. The port inside the runners that I have done is to basically follow the contours of the stock form without trying to really beef anything out. Mostly just remove flash and imperfections that were left by the factory. On the intake side I did open it up almost to the edge of the gasket. The surface, inside the runners, on the intake side isnt mirror finished like the exhaust side. Ive read the exhaust ports should be smooth if not mirrored and the intake side should be finished with a coarser grit like the 80 grit sanding wheels and tubes. Also, I didnt go too deep in and stayed out of the valve area. Gradually tapering off as I went further inside the ports and following the original shape.On the intake side I think this will really improve velocity into the chambers/bowls. And on the exhaust side, gasses will have absolutely no problems escaping.
I think your right about exospeed. He could probably clear a few things up.

Old 01-06-2004, 04:09 PM   #15 (permalink)
Dane

That sounds like a good start to me!! Now just get a good valve job and you should be good to go!
Old 01-07-2004, 12:52 AM   #16 (permalink)
DOG

Took some more pics tonight.

Old 01-07-2004, 07:35 AM   #17 (permalink)
Dane

Dam it every time I see pics of ported heads and stuff I get all pissed and want to grind on somthing!!!

I think until I get my bench up and running im going to get myself a dremel and see if I can use my buddys dads bentch. I cant take it any more!

PS: nice pics!
Old 01-23-2004, 10:31 AM   #18 (permalink)
jdmspecdc5

nice =)
Old 02-04-2004, 06:50 PM   #19 (permalink)
n00b

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via AIM to theyoungone Send a message via MSN to theyoungone

http://www.theoldone.com/articles/d16a_head/
Old 02-04-2004, 06:54 PM   #20 (permalink)
n00b

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via AIM to theyoungone Send a message via MSN to theyoungone

Dont get a dremel. Get a die grinder or a low speed high torque drill.

That is all done with a nikita drill and the correct burrs.

www.ruffstuff.com
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in