I installed the Crower 3 today...aka 'the equalizer" - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org D-series Knowledge Factory Archived Technical Info Posts

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-13-2004, 03:20 PM   #1 (permalink)
allwheeldriveturboboxer

Rep Power: 25 builthatch is the fucking MAN!!!!builthatch is the fucking MAN!!!!builthatch is the fucking MAN!!!!builthatch is the fucking MAN!!!!
builthatch is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 5 reviews
Send a message via AIM to builthatch
Default I installed the Crower 3 today...aka 'the equalizer"

I will preface this by giving props to Brian Crower for making something that worked BEYOND my expectations...

Though i still have the tune in the PowerFC for the Crower 2, i can honestly say that my car is about as fast as it needs to be...it felt like i had just gotten vtec, putting my foot into it DEEP as many times as i could...i could rave about it all night; gotta let the novelty wear off a bit ; )

Crower was not lying when they said 8k+....i would shift at 7500, since that is where my present tune it "tuned" to, and it wanted to keep going...scary stuff with a 90mm stroke, so i'll most likey tune for a fat pre-7500 band..

the installation went butter, as usual with Crower shit. The only thing about this cam is...the specs on the website are no where near the specs on the cam card...they are significantly higher on the card, i mean this cam, according to the grind card, has .468 lift...... on the exhaust side! That means that all the time, since vtec is solely on the intake side, that you will have sick ass .468 lobes snapping away. This makes for a VERY noisy cam, especially on the exhaust side...i have upgraded LMA's, Gude used to sell these, i believe they are ITR pieces. Despite going thru the lash two times, it's not the lash. It simply is a noisy piece, so much so that my knock sensor meter on my PowerFC is showing a significant jump in activity at idle and lower RPM...all from the mechanical activity and noise from the cam. The idle, i can imagine, would lope a shitload on a setup with simply a chipped ecu, however, my PowerFC's idle stability feature is a god send and keeping things real at 1100 or so.

I will be dynoing very soon; i am still debating whether or not to get an improved intake manifold, just gotta find one for the right price.

If you have a sohc vtec with a ported head, get this cam. You will not be dissapointed!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by builthatch; 11-13-2004 at 03:23 PM.
builthatch is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-13-2004, 03:31 PM   #2 (permalink)
D-series post SLUT

Rep Power: 17 BseriesKllR is a name known to allBseriesKllR is a name known to allBseriesKllR is a name known to allBseriesKllR is a name known to allBseriesKllR is a name known to allBseriesKllR is a name known to allBseriesKllR is a name known to allBseriesKllR is a name known to allBseriesKllR is a name known to allBseriesKllR is a name known to all
iTrader Score: 1 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by builthatch
If you have a sohc vtec with a ported head, get this cam. You will not be dissapointed!
just what i wanted to hear, i better start saving.
BseriesKllR is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-13-2004, 04:29 PM   #3 (permalink)
D-series post SLUT

Rep Power: 17 BseriesKllR is a name known to allBseriesKllR is a name known to allBseriesKllR is a name known to allBseriesKllR is a name known to allBseriesKllR is a name known to allBseriesKllR is a name known to allBseriesKllR is a name known to allBseriesKllR is a name known to allBseriesKllR is a name known to allBseriesKllR is a name known to all

also do you have to upgrade the LMA?? is it louder then the zex cam?? dont really care about noise just wondering.

Old 11-13-2004, 06:37 PM   #4 (permalink)
dont fuck with me, I know some gang members

iTrader Score: 3 reviews

LMA? I'm not familiar with this acronym.
Blanco is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-13-2004, 06:38 PM   #5 (permalink)
D-series post SLUT

lma=lost motion assembly
Old 11-13-2004, 06:43 PM   #6 (permalink)
Cool User Title Here

Location: 7.5 hours north of Modshxcivic, 6.5 hours north of Rexinre's house (he says only 5 hours) (MAINE)
Rep Power: 23 Honda4VW is hot as a volcanoHonda4VW is hot as a volcano
Honda4VW is hot as a volcanoHonda4VW is hot as a volcanoHonda4VW is hot as a volcanoHonda4VW is hot as a volcanoHonda4VW is hot as a volcanoHonda4VW is hot as a volcanoHonda4VW is hot as a volcanoHonda4VW is hot as a volcanoHonda4VW is hot as a volcanoHonda4VW is hot as a volcano
iTrader Score: 9 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Honda4VW Send a message via MSN to Honda4VW Send a message via Yahoo to Honda4VW

Jealous

Am I going to have to play around with tuning the stage 2, and then go the stage 3 route in the spring just to keep up!!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Honda4VW is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-13-2004, 07:21 PM   #7 (permalink)
D-series post SLUT

SilentWrath* It's a JDM Star Bitches....SilentWrath* It's a JDM Star Bitches....
iTrader Score: 34 reviews

so ITR LMAs are a direct bolt in for dseries vtec motors???
<stock block d15b build complete.>
*Turbo Fabrication by Greg @ GO-AUTOWORKS.*

*Tuned by Howard @ RLZ Engineering.*

SilentWrath* is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-13-2004, 07:45 PM   #8 (permalink)
average joe

S Q A D is about to kiss the skyS Q A D is about to kiss the skyS Q A D is about to kiss the skyS Q A D is about to kiss the skyS Q A D is about to kiss the skyS Q A D is about to kiss the skyS Q A D is about to kiss the sky
iTrader Score: 2 reviews

nice dude cant wait to see the dynos ....

Im not even rocking the SOHC anymore and I'm jealous

|
|
S Q A D is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-13-2004, 07:52 PM   #9 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 16 d16a6 power is learning the way of the Dd16a6 power is learning the way of the D
iTrader Score: 0 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by BseriesKllR
lma=lost motion assembly
So why does he need to replace them? What is their job? Im not fimiliar with them also. Thanks.
d16a6 power is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-13-2004, 08:02 PM   #10 (permalink)
the hard-parker

Rep Power: 26 Sonny7730 is the fucking MAN!!!!Sonny7730 is the fucking MAN!!!!Sonny7730 is the fucking MAN!!!!Sonny7730 is the fucking MAN!!!!
Sonny7730 is the fucking MAN!!!!Sonny7730 is the fucking MAN!!!!Sonny7730 is the fucking MAN!!!!Sonny7730 is the fucking MAN!!!!Sonny7730 is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 16 reviews

dude, sounds like you got one heck of a nice cam!! glad to hear it's doing above your expectations!

1998 honda civic ex coupe
1998 jeep cherokee sport 4x4
2004 subaru impreza wrx wagon
2002 honda accord v6 coupe
Sonny7730 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-13-2004, 08:02 PM   #11 (permalink)
average joe

S Q A D is about to kiss the skyS Q A D is about to kiss the skyS Q A D is about to kiss the skyS Q A D is about to kiss the skyS Q A D is about to kiss the skyS Q A D is about to kiss the skyS Q A D is about to kiss the sky
iTrader Score: 2 reviews

Crower 3 - Power FC - Rage header ..... sounds like a killer N/A setup

whats next , custom ITBs?

|
|
S Q A D is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-13-2004, 08:40 PM   #12 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 16 robtec is learning the way of the Drobtec is learning the way of the D

can you post the spec card?

robtec is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-14-2004, 04:47 AM   #13 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 16 AgentJam is learning the way of the DAgentJam is learning the way of the D

Quote:
Originally Posted by robtec
can you post the spec card?

INTAKE: Dur: 329deg Lift: .442
EXHAUST: Dur: 317deg Lift: .468

Kinda hard to read because of the light stamps but both duration and lift are more agressive than advertised...kinda weird but oh well i'll take it!

Yeah luckily the Power FC controls this thing at idle because while warming up i have a good 2-300 rpm lope and even when fully warm ocassionally I get a 100rpm lope.

Hehe Jared's a little more brazon than me, I've only taken it to 6k because of tuning fears but in my crx i had to say goodbye to 1st gear traction totally with this cam, even though i'm only running Builthatches stage 2 FC tune.

Just waiting for Built to let me know when we're hittin the dynojet!!!!
Old 11-14-2004, 08:25 AM   #14 (permalink)
allwheeldriveturboboxer

Rep Power: 25 builthatch is the fucking MAN!!!!builthatch is the fucking MAN!!!!builthatch is the fucking MAN!!!!builthatch is the fucking MAN!!!!

here is a side by side of the 2 vs. 3...

Old 11-14-2004, 12:37 PM   #15 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 16 robtec is learning the way of the Drobtec is learning the way of the D

thanks Agent Jam and buildhatch

i don't know why my stage 2 is diferent for buildhatch's stage 2
diferent intake lift and lobe separation
Attached Images
File Type: jpg crower 2.jpg (50.6 KB, 349 views)

Old 11-14-2004, 12:49 PM   #16 (permalink)
D-series post SLUT

SilentWrath* It's a JDM Star Bitches....SilentWrath* It's a JDM Star Bitches....
iTrader Score: 34 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by robtec
thanks Agent Jam and buildhatch

i don't know why my stage 2 is diferent for buildhatch's stage 2
diferent intake lift and lobe separation
perhaps the z6cam is designed slightly differently than the y8....thats about all i can think of....

builthatch-those ITR LMAs are direct bolt in?? or require modification???
thanks
<stock block d15b build complete.>
*Turbo Fabrication by Greg @ GO-AUTOWORKS.*

*Tuned by Howard @ RLZ Engineering.*

SilentWrath* is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-14-2004, 12:57 PM   #17 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilentWrath*
perhaps the z6cam is designed slightly differently than the y8....thats about all i can think of....

builthatch-those ITR LMAs are direct bolt in?? or require modification???
thanks
perhaps

check this pivcs itr lma vs. b16 lma
Attached Images
File Type: jpg itrvsb16_LMA.jpg (23.7 KB, 3646 views)

Old 11-14-2004, 03:08 PM   #18 (permalink)
freshd16y8

what are you doing with your crower 2 ($) and do you need upgraded springs for the 2
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-14-2004, 04:34 PM   #19 (permalink)
allwheeldriveturboboxer

Quote:
Originally Posted by freshd16y8
what are you doing with your crower 2 ($) and do you need upgraded springs for the 2
4ges staked his claim on the cam!

re: the springs/ rets....Crower does recommend them for the stage 2, interestingly tho, they don't mention that on the stage 2 cam card...

Old 11-14-2004, 05:16 PM   #20 (permalink)
DOG
All powerful D-series member

Rep Power: 18 DOG is approaching greatnessDOG is approaching greatnessDOG is approaching greatnessDOG is approaching greatnessDOG is approaching greatnessDOG is approaching greatnessDOG is approaching greatnessDOG is approaching greatnessDOG is approaching greatnessDOG is approaching greatnessDOG is approaching greatnessDOG is approaching greatnessDOG is approaching greatnessDOG is approaching greatness
iTrader Score: 18 reviews
Send a message via AIM to DOG

Nice write-up bro. Glad to hear it went well.

DOG is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in