DIY Coolant change! - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org D-series Knowledge Factory Archived Technical Info Posts

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-04-2004, 08:57 PM   #1 (permalink)

Rep Power: 16 wynode will become famous soon enoughwynode will become famous soon enoughwynode will become famous soon enough
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via MSN to wynode
Default DIY Coolant change!

Disclaimer: The following is provided as a GUIDE ONLY, and neither myself nor D-series.org take any responsibility for the outcomes of someone else doing the following. You follow these steps at your own risk!

Most of this was simply following the Honda service manual

Aim: Refill/bleed the coolant for the cooling system

Required:
- 12mm socket / spanner
- 19mm (I think it was) socket.
- Approx 4-5L of coolant (you can buy it premixed from Honda. Approx $32 for 4L)
- Something to collect the old coolant with (I used my oil pan)

Steps:
Make sure the engine has cooled down before attempting this as opening the radiator with HOT coolant can/will cause serious injury!
One way to check is to squeeze the top radiator hose. If it is firm, the coolant is still under pressure and hot! (pic below)

1. Start the car and move the heater temprature to the HOTTEST setting. After this, stop the car.

2. Remove the radiator cap.

3. Loosen the drain bolt at the bottom of the radiator (you don't have to take it out completely, just enough so the coolant starts draining). I didn't jack up the car so couldn't take a decent pic. But its basically like this:

4. Take out the engine drain bolt and let the coolant drain out completely.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by wynode; 11-04-2004 at 08:59 PM.
wynode is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-04-2004, 08:58 PM   #2 (permalink)

Rep Power: 16 wynode will become famous soon enoughwynode will become famous soon enoughwynode will become famous soon enough

5. Take the cap off the coolant overflow reservoire and pull it straight up to take it out. Empty its contents and put it back into its holder. Put the cap back on.

6. Once all the coolant has finished draining tighten the radiator drain plug fully.

7. Apply liquid gasket (optional) to the engine drain bolt and tighten it back up.

8. Pour the pre-mixed coolant (if it is not premixed, then make sure it is a 50-50 coolant/water mixture) into the radiator via the radiator cap opening upto the filler neck.

9. Loosen the bleed bolt (12mm) at the top of the uppermost radiator hose until there are no airbubbles coming out and just a steady stream of coolant. When you tighten it back up again, make sure you don't over tighten it (9.8Nm is fine). The pic below is for a DOHC-non VTEC engine and is located behind/underneath the dizzy. For SOHC engines it is located on top of the radiator hose at the front of the engine above where the engine number is stamped.

10. Refill the radiator to the base of the filler neck.

11. Put the radiator cap back on up to the first click only.

12. Start the engine and let it run till it has warmed up fully (IE make sure the radiator fan comes on at least twice).

13. Turn the engine off, check the level in the radiator and add coolant if necessary.

14. Fill the overflow reservoire to the MAX mark and put the cap back on.

15. Wash off any spilt coolant with some clean water.

ALL DONE and hopefully I haven't missed anything!

Other comments

Just as a comparison.......the pic below shows the old coolant and the bit of coolant in the cap is the new coolant. Notice the difference?

And thanks to the trusty service manual

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by wynode; 11-04-2004 at 09:04 PM.
Old 11-04-2004, 08:59 PM   #3 (permalink)

I forgot to take a pic of the coolant drain bolt so i'll take one and update the post later

Old 11-04-2004, 09:18 PM   #4 (permalink)
d-series.org OG

Top Aussie is hot as a volcanoTop Aussie is hot as a volcanoTop Aussie is hot as a volcanoTop Aussie is hot as a volcanoTop Aussie is hot as a volcanoTop Aussie is hot as a volcanoTop Aussie is hot as a volcanoTop Aussie is hot as a volcanoTop Aussie is hot as a volcanoTop Aussie is hot as a volcanoTop Aussie is hot as a volcanoTop Aussie is hot as a volcanoTop Aussie is hot as a volcanoTop Aussie is hot as a volcano
iTrader Score: 4 reviews
Send a message via MSN to Top Aussie

deja vu anyone?

Top Aussie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-04-2004, 09:19 PM   #5 (permalink)

haha.....stop stalking me Trav!

Old 11-04-2004, 09:22 PM   #6 (permalink)
Want access???

Rep Power: 1718005 modsHXcivi is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !modsHXcivi is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !modsHXcivi is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !modsHXcivi is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !modsHXcivi is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !modsHXcivi is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !modsHXcivi is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !modsHXcivi is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !modsHXcivi is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !modsHXcivi is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !modsHXcivi is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !modsHXcivi is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !modsHXcivi is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !modsHXcivi is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !modsHXcivi is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
modsHXcivi is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !modsHXcivi is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !modsHXcivi is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !modsHXcivi is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !modsHXcivi is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !modsHXcivi is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !modsHXcivi is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !modsHXcivi is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !modsHXcivi is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !modsHXcivi is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !modsHXcivi is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !modsHXcivi is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !modsHXcivi is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !modsHXcivi is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !modsHXcivi is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 67 reviews
Send a message via AIM to modsHXcivi

is this a repost of some kind... how to change you coolant i just dont know kinda seems like one of thoses things you should know how to do.kinda like changing your oil putting gas in ...i dont know maybe its just me...but again a good post for someone i guess

modsHXcivi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-04-2004, 09:29 PM   #7 (permalink)
DOG
All powerful D-series member

Rep Power: 18 DOG is approaching greatnessDOG is approaching greatnessDOG is approaching greatnessDOG is approaching greatnessDOG is approaching greatnessDOG is approaching greatnessDOG is approaching greatnessDOG is approaching greatnessDOG is approaching greatnessDOG is approaching greatnessDOG is approaching greatnessDOG is approaching greatnessDOG is approaching greatnessDOG is approaching greatness
iTrader Score: 18 reviews
Send a message via AIM to DOG

Good post for those new to Honda's. You would be suprised how many people have never changed there oil much less there coolant.

Last edited by DOG; 11-04-2004 at 09:32 PM.
DOG is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-04-2004, 09:44 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by modsHXcivi
is this a repost of some kind... how to change you coolant i just dont know kinda seems like one of thoses things you should know how to do.kinda like changing your oil putting gas in ...i dont know maybe its just me...but again a good post for someone i guess
Your point is?

Old 11-04-2004, 09:44 PM   #9 (permalink)

makku is a Top Aussiemakku is a Top Aussiemakku is a Top Aussiemakku is a Top Aussiemakku is a Top Aussiemakku is a Top Aussiemakku is a Top Aussiemakku is a Top Aussiemakku is a Top Aussiemakku is a Top Aussiemakku is a Top Aussie
iTrader Score: 11 reviews
Send a message via AIM to makku Send a message via MSN to makku Send a message via Yahoo to makku

you skipped a step it seems....

how to drain the coolant from the block itself... not too hard though, but that bolt is a bitch without a big breaker bar.

Quote:
forecast for tomorrow... a few sprinkles of genius with a chance for DOOM!
Quote:
But I thought you said TV was bad?
It is... but we fucking need it.
makku is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-04-2004, 09:49 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by makku
you skipped a step it seems....

how to drain the coolant from the block itself... not too hard though, but that bolt is a bitch without a big breaker bar.
Step 4

ANd yes.....it is a BITCH to take out and I forgot to take a pic of it!

Old 11-04-2004, 09:59 PM   #11 (permalink)
Want access???

Rep Power: 1718005 modsHXcivi is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !modsHXcivi is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !modsHXcivi is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !modsHXcivi is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !modsHXcivi is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !modsHXcivi is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !modsHXcivi is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !modsHXcivi is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !modsHXcivi is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !modsHXcivi is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !modsHXcivi is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !modsHXcivi is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !modsHXcivi is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !modsHXcivi is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !modsHXcivi is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
modsHXcivi is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !modsHXcivi is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !modsHXcivi is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !modsHXcivi is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !modsHXcivi is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !modsHXcivi is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !modsHXcivi is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !modsHXcivi is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !modsHXcivi is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !modsHXcivi is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !modsHXcivi is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !modsHXcivi is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !modsHXcivi is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !modsHXcivi is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !modsHXcivi is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 67 reviews
Send a message via AIM to modsHXcivi

i guess my point is that most poeple i figured would know how to change there coolant.oil ect on this site .
but like hondadog said if your new to hondas its a good post

modsHXcivi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-05-2004, 07:30 AM   #12 (permalink)
peace out

Rep Power: 16 icarusdown is approaching greatnessicarusdown is approaching greatnessicarusdown is approaching greatnessicarusdown is approaching greatnessicarusdown is approaching greatnessicarusdown is approaching greatnessicarusdown is approaching greatnessicarusdown is approaching greatnessicarusdown is approaching greatnessicarusdown is approaching greatnessicarusdown is approaching greatnessicarusdown is approaching greatnessicarusdown is approaching greatnessicarusdown is approaching greatness

Where the hell is the drain bolt on my Y7 block?!? I changed my coolant about a month ago but could not find my drain bolt on the block. I went ahead with the procedure, but am not sure if I got all the old coolant out. Anyone know about the Y7 block?

-ic
icarusdown is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-05-2004, 07:35 AM   #13 (permalink)

makku is a Top Aussiemakku is a Top Aussiemakku is a Top Aussiemakku is a Top Aussiemakku is a Top Aussiemakku is a Top Aussiemakku is a Top Aussiemakku is a Top Aussiemakku is a Top Aussiemakku is a Top Aussiemakku is a Top Aussie
Send a message via AIM to makku Send a message via MSN to makku Send a message via Yahoo to makku

supposed to be in front. kind of facing the radiator... it's a big bolt.

Quote:
Quote:
Old 11-05-2004, 09:46 PM   #14 (permalink)
civicmug

i couldn't find mine on my y8 block either...
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-05-2004, 10:09 PM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by icarusdown
Where the hell is the drain bolt on my Y7 block?!?
This is from a b18 engine but the engine drain bolt is pretty much the same for D-series

Old 11-06-2004, 02:10 AM   #16 (permalink)
bennjamin

IT is not absolutely needed to undo this bolt and let it drain - you can DIY with a normal garden hose thru the thermostat whiel the engine is on...once the fluid leaking back out the bleed is clear - there is no more old coolant in there

BTW DO NOT unhook the block bolt within a short time of turning the engine on - can shatter any non-stock exhaust manifold !

Win did u unhook the block bolt too ?
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-06-2004, 03:11 AM   #17 (permalink)

You need to undo the bolt to get the rest of the coolant out of the block.

Even if you flush it with fresh water, you still need to undo the bolt to get that fresh water out of the block

Old 11-06-2004, 07:03 AM   #18 (permalink)

actually, if you don't mind the non-distilled water, his method is good.

You put all water in the block and all ethylene glycol (pure coolant) in the radiator. The volumes are about the same, so you get a 50/50 mix.

Quote:
Quote:
Old 11-06-2004, 11:40 AM   #19 (permalink)
peace out

Rep Power: 16 icarusdown is approaching greatnessicarusdown is approaching greatnessicarusdown is approaching greatnessicarusdown is approaching greatnessicarusdown is approaching greatnessicarusdown is approaching greatnessicarusdown is approaching greatnessicarusdown is approaching greatnessicarusdown is approaching greatnessicarusdown is approaching greatnessicarusdown is approaching greatnessicarusdown is approaching greatnessicarusdown is approaching greatnessicarusdown is approaching greatness

I checked like 5 times for the drain bolt on the block on my Y7. It's not there. I compared to my Z6 block and that one is easy to find. I don't think they put one on the Y7 unless they hid it really fuckin' well....

-ic
icarusdown is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-06-2004, 03:09 PM   #20 (permalink)
Curious George

Rep Power: 18 Belette is approaching greatnessBelette is approaching greatnessBelette is approaching greatnessBelette is approaching greatnessBelette is approaching greatnessBelette is approaching greatnessBelette is approaching greatnessBelette is approaching greatnessBelette is approaching greatnessBelette is approaching greatnessBelette is approaching greatnessBelette is approaching greatnessBelette is approaching greatnessBelette is approaching greatness
iTrader Score: 13 reviews

http://www.redpepperracing.com/technical/142/aaf

y7 y8 are behind engine, at left of oil filter.

Setup in building:

Video of my old setup:

Awesome Photography Thread:

Last edited by Belette; 11-06-2004 at 04:59 PM.
Belette is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in