D17 mini-me w/cam??? - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org Motor Mayhem & Suspension Satisfaction 7th Gen

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-28-2008, 11:35 AM   #1 (permalink)
n00b

iTrader Score: 1 reviews
Cool D17 mini-me w/cam???

i was wondering what benefits i would recieve by using a street use cam from crower...such as a stage 1...pretty much stock motor...goin to be doin a mini-me swap here soon hopefully....got cai and exhaust...is it worth it...? if it is what all would i have to do with the motor if anything at all to put a aftermarket cam in...would i have to go in and change any of the internals...?
o4hondaskivic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-29-2008, 11:34 AM   #2 (permalink)
D-series lover

iTrader Score: 0 reviews

If you want to just put a Stage 1 in then there is no need to upgrade anything. If you have a decent 2 1/4 exhaust and upgraded cat i would THINK you would see about a 10hp - MAX - gain. If your car has a standard trans, i would recommend getting the stage 2 (same price) and get the valves and retainers, then tune it with Kpro. After the parts (Kpro, cam gear, valves, retainers, cam) and a tune, it will cost you around 2grand, but that is the best money to power-gain ratio right there for the D17. The only thing i don't know, that hopefully someone else could answer, is that i am not sure the affect of just throwing a stage 1 cam in there really is. Will that actually help at all? I would think you would need some kind of tune and play with fuel and ect. to take advantage of the cam.
prancer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-29-2008, 02:51 PM   #3 (permalink)
n00b

Cool

thanks man...thats about what i was lookin for...i just wasnt sure...with a stage 2 cam...with valves, springs and retainers, cam gear...with the k-pro...and a good tune...would should i be able to expect on the hp and tq gains..?

Old 10-29-2008, 08:51 PM   #4 (permalink)
D-series lover

Here is a thread regarding a close to identical set up to one i am talking about. Of course it will vary between the motors and what type of exhaust set up you have/tune. But the majority (just about all) of the gains will be from K Pro and the tune you recieve. It would be safe to say you could pull about 25-30 extra hp and 15-20ft/lbs of TQ. I would say that is to be safe. I wouldn't be surprised if you have could get 40 hp out of the thing if everything is in tip-top shape. And yea, its not much, but for this engine it would be around a 35% hp gain or so.
Old 10-30-2008, 06:15 AM   #5 (permalink)
D-series lover

whoops forgot the link. Here ya go.

http://www.civicforums.com/forums/79...ml#post4163447
Old 10-30-2008, 12:25 PM   #6 (permalink)
n00b

thanks man...thats exactly what i was looking for 147 hp aint bad....no its got me thinking..lol..only problem is i dont really know of any place around here that does tuning besides one place...but ive heard mixed opinions...more so negative than positive...
Old 10-31-2008, 06:22 AM   #7 (permalink)
D-series lover

Well i don't know if you would want to drive very far. But usually there is a respectable tuner within a 1000 mile radius. Remember the tune is the most beneficial thing in this combo.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Security Question
*Required, this field is not shown to others: While balancing on a piece of wood, two inches by four inches known as a 2x4, john and his friend sally both spotted a dalmatian inside a truck with sirens, headed to put out a fire. State what kind of animal is mentioned in the sentence above.
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in