EGR insufficient AIR FLOW????? - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org Motor Mayhem & Suspension Satisfaction 7th Gen

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-24-2008, 05:35 PM   #1 (permalink)
n00b

iTrader Score: 1 reviews
Angry EGR insufficient AIR FLOW?????

so here is the problem...gotta 2004 civic dx/vp m/t....d17a1....broke a wrist pin on one of the cylinders...instead of doing a rebuild, it was cheaper to get a used motor....paid 500 dollars for a what was supposed to be a d17a1 out of a 2005 lx auto w/ 8200 miles on it...motors was supposed to be exact...but when i got the motor and got my mechanic to put it in i was throwing a CEL....went and got it scanned and the code was P0401, insufficient air flow to egr...i talked to the guy that swapped the motor and he said that he had to swap the thermostat housing off the old motor to the new motor because the new motor did not have a EGR valve on the thermostat housing (my car has EGR valve on the thermostat housing..)....i have changed the egr valve twice and still gettin the same code...had the egr passages cleaned and still gettin the same exact code...what else could i do to try to solve the problem...and suggestions..both motors are d17a1's should my computer work.. ive tried the only things that i know to possibly do...now im just gettin agrivated with it.....anyone with any suggestions i would greatly appreciate it....thanks
o4hondaskivic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-24-2008, 08:42 PM   #2 (permalink)
D-Series cadet

iTrader Score: 0 reviews

isint p 401 the code for no cat converter?
2001 silver acura el d17a2 no badges/aem cai/skunk2 ss cat back system/magnaflow high flow cat converter/headman headers/16 inch aftermarket honda wheels wrapped in hancook ventus 205 45 16/tein ss full coilover suspension w pillow mounts/megan racing camber kit/clarion pro audio touch screen deck(not worth 600$) alpine 15inch type r sub w/ clarion amp rated at 830 rms
01elto is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-24-2008, 08:43 PM   #3 (permalink)
D-Series cadet

nah its 410 sorry im tired lol yes your ecu should work i would try resetting it to see if it comes back though
2001 silver acura el d17a2 no badges/aem cai/skunk2 ss cat back system/magnaflow high flow cat converter/headman headers/16 inch aftermarket honda wheels wrapped in hancook ventus 205 45 16/tein ss full coilover suspension w pillow mounts/megan racing camber kit/clarion pro audio touch screen deck(not worth 600$) alpine 15inch type r sub w/ clarion amp rated at 830 rms
01elto is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2008, 03:52 AM   #4 (permalink)
n00b

ive tried to reset the ecu countless amount of times...lol...on ht ebright side everytime i reset the ecu and the CEL goes away the car runs a whole heck of alot better untill all of the drive time cycles run through and it finds the problem....when the CEL comes back on it goes back into i guess what they call NULL mode...which it still runs pretty good but it is a noticeable difference to the bad...
Old 10-25-2008, 04:33 AM   #5 (permalink)
All powerful D-series member

Rep Power: 25 speedfoos is the fucking MAN!!!!speedfoos is the fucking MAN!!!!speedfoos is the fucking MAN!!!!speedfoos is the fucking MAN!!!!
speedfoos is the fucking MAN!!!!speedfoos is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 22 reviews

OK. There is a good chance that the heads are different which is why you are running into problems. I can't remember which year range it was, but some of the A1s did not run an EGR valve and I'm pretty sure the heads were a little different. This appears to be the case here. My guess is that if you swapped back to your old head and used the thermo housing with the EGR valve on it you would be fine.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|
speedfoos is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-25-2008, 04:39 AM   #6 (permalink)
n00b

yea the only problem is i dont have the old motor...lol which sucks...if i get a 04-04 dx/lx head to put on the motor that i have now i should be ok right??? would i be better off if i got a 04-05 ex head to have the vtec-e...i know i would have to get a vafc controller....but is that it..??? or would i be better off just gettin the right head for the car i got...04 civic dx/vp
Old 10-25-2008, 04:39 AM   #7 (permalink)
n00b

04-05 dx/lx head****
Old 10-25-2008, 06:07 AM   #8 (permalink)

Rep Power: 25 speedfoos is the fucking MAN!!!!speedfoos is the fucking MAN!!!!speedfoos is the fucking MAN!!!!speedfoos is the fucking MAN!!!!

Up to you. Since you have to get a new head anyway, you may as well upgrade to the VTEC head, if you can swing the cash for the VAFC, why not upgrade? Talk to Adam about the exact particulars (greeen04civic blah blah) of the wiring and tuning. I saw he chimed in on your thread on CF.

|
|
|
Old 10-25-2008, 06:27 AM   #9 (permalink)
n00b

aight thanks man....o damn...i just realized u are from the nam to...lol...im right here at the fayetteville hoke county line....you probly seen me around town...silver 04 civic 2 door with black non painted rear bumper....black out windows...

Last edited by o4hondaskivic; 10-25-2008 at 06:34 AM.
Old 10-25-2008, 08:39 AM   #10 (permalink)

Probably not because we just moved here last month. That being said, I work for beer and tools so if you need a hand with the swap, I'm probably a lot cheaper than your mechanic and more than likely better with Hondas than he is too.

|
|
|
Old 10-25-2008, 08:48 AM   #11 (permalink)
n00b

Cool

thats whats up...well i can do the beer part..lol...but i dont have much in the way as far as tools go....i would much rather someone do it that as the experience and the know how with the d17 so i figure we could work something out...when the time comes....both of the guys that i deal with is very intellegent when it comes to b18's, both have bad ass turbo b18c5 crx's but both of them admit of not knowing little to nuthing about the d17...matter fact...when i got my motor replaced the one that did it said that that was the first time that he every even had his hands on a d17....do u know of any sites that would be good to look for a d17a2 head in good condition...ive only found one and it needs to be rebuilt...

Last edited by o4hondaskivic; 10-25-2008 at 08:50 AM.
Old 10-25-2008, 09:06 AM   #12 (permalink)

The closest site that I know is about 15 feet from me in my garage. The stock head on my Civic is about to come off and get swapped for the ported and polished one sitting on my workbench. Only thing is that the pressure sensor on the VTEC solly is broken and would have to be replaced. I'm going to start pulling the car apart Wednesday to swap the head, fix the damage done by the deer I hit, change out the turbo mani, clutch, get ready for the k-pro, etc...

But I would check civicforums.com for a new D17 VTEC head, 7thgenhonda.com (although they have a post requirement on their FS section like this one does) or honda-tech.com. You shouldn't pay more than $150 for a complete head.

As far as the beer vs tools things go, you either buy me beer or whatever tool I decide to need at the moment. If you want me to do the work on your car, we can figure all that out later though.

|
|
|
Old 10-25-2008, 09:24 AM   #13 (permalink)
n00b

aight man...that'll work...seems to me like your pretty repectable when it comes to the
d17....anything wrong with that head that you have got...or u just swapping it for the sole purpose of a better head...what do u want for it...thats if your willing to sell it vs. keep it.....
Old 10-25-2008, 10:07 AM   #14 (permalink)

Nope, nothing wrong with the head on it. I have put maybe 1000 miles on it since I installed it. Was just there to get me out of a tight spot when I bent valves on my old PnP before needing to ship it from England. Aside from the oil pressure sensor on the VTEC solenoid, ($40 new from Majestic) it's perfect. As far as price goes....How does $100 sound since you need the new sensor?

If you want it, I'll hang on to it until we're both ready to do the swap.

|
|
|
Old 10-25-2008, 10:59 AM   #15 (permalink)
n00b

hell yea thats whats up man....let me talk to the fiancee and see when we can do something...cause i need to get the vafc2 also...im waitin on a reply from adam on CF to see exactly what i have to get and do for the swap...id rather have everything up front then a little here and there...this car is my daily driver...and i as i understand i have to have the vafc2 for when it gets installed...hopefully i can get it done here in the near future (couple monthes...) let me talk to the ole lady so i can see what she says cause he still have to buy christmas for my son...
Old 10-25-2008, 11:19 AM   #16 (permalink)

Take your time, the head isn't going anywhere. If you're tight on cash and got stuff for trade, I can do that to. Seems like you're in a tight spot so I'm happy to help out.

What you need for the swap is this:

VTEC head
VAFC
head gasket set (or just the HG and IM gasket)
if you're not going to boost the motor anytime soon, we can re-use the stock head bolts.

That should be it. The head and a way to control the VTEC engagement point are the only things you really need for the swap.

|
|
|
Old 10-25-2008, 12:21 PM   #17 (permalink)
n00b

yea we are tight on cash right now...the holidays are about to b here and want to show my son a good christmas....one more question....do u know how to reset the srs light..theres nuthin wrong with the srs system..i took the seats out cleaning my car and cranked the car with the srs conectors under the seat disconnect and it caused the light to come on...never thought that would happen but it did..lol..

Last edited by o4hondaskivic; 10-25-2008 at 12:34 PM.
Old 10-25-2008, 01:19 PM   #18 (permalink)

Shoot me an email and I'll send you a DIY on how to do it.

[email protected]

|
|
|
Old 10-26-2008, 03:20 PM   #19 (permalink)
D-Series cadet

My 01 LX doesn't have the egr valve. But when I swap to a vtec head I notice that the head have the same passages for the EGR as the vtec head. Just the termostat housing doesn't have the EGR, but the heads are the same, both have the same passages for the EGR.

Also the plate where the injectors are, the one that has the passages for the EGR, is the same. The passage of the last valve runner to extract exhaust gases, are the same on both. Also the "notch" at the begining of the intake runer for the EGR is the same.

I will look for other things, like a flow or pressure sensor disconnected.
gmcuajo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-26-2008, 03:33 PM   #20 (permalink)
D-Series cadet

If you are tight of cash, I know what everybody will say and maybe you will think, for the head swap you can do it without a VAFC. Put a switch for the vtec, if you will race just turn it on past 4000 to 4500rpm.

From the VTEC head will not have a very noticeable gain comparing with the non-vtec. But, with the vtec off, you will have a noticeable loss.
gmcuajo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Security Question
*Required, this field is not shown to others: While balancing on a piece of wood, two inches by four inches known as a 2x4, john and his friend sally both spotted a dalmatian inside a truck with sirens, headed to put out a fire. State what kind of animal is mentioned in the sentence above.
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in