Crower Cams - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org Motor Mayhem & Suspension Satisfaction 7th Gen

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-27-2008, 08:09 AM   #1 (permalink)
D-series lover

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Default Crower Cams

Hey guys sorry if this is a completely retarded question

but if i get the Crower Stage 3 cams (not boosted yet, but in the future will be)and the valve springs that come with it, is that ALL i have to buy in order to install the cams?
(Keep in mind i won't be installing the cams myself, i have a friend who knows how to build motors and i trust him.)

Or should i get the crower stage 2 n/a or turbo cams.

I have a d17a2 and until i turbo it i want a quick hp boost and i know this will do the trick.

thanks in advance for your help :]

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"future plans 01 EM2"
Rota Gold D'2
Mugen front/rear lip
d17project is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-27-2008, 10:19 AM   #2 (permalink)

The stage 3 is actually a N/A cam, but it works very well on a turbo it seems. Must be kind of the same deal as turbo B series guys using type R cams. You'll pretty much just need the cam, valve springs, and retainers (retainers aren't absolutely necessary in my opinion).

You may want to buy yourself a new cam seal and RTV scealant since youre going to have the cam holder assembly taken apart.
Old 09-27-2008, 10:25 AM   #3 (permalink)
D-series lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by wikkaco0 View Post
The stage 3 is actually a N/A cam, but it works very well on a turbo it seems. Must be kind of the same deal as turbo B series guys using type R cams. You'll pretty much just need the cam, valve springs, and retainers (retainers aren't absolutely necessary in my opinion).

You may want to buy yourself a new cam seal and RTV scealant since youre going to have the cam holder assembly taken apart.
yeah i know its a N/A cam, but i need some hp gain now thats why i was going to go with that.

the turbo is way down the line so that doesn't necessarily come into plan just now.

But you think the stage 3 would be good on my stock engine?

"future plans 01 EM2"
Rota Gold D'2
Mugen front/rear lip

Old 09-28-2008, 05:47 AM   #4 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to andyman97

First of all, you only have one cam in a d17, hence, single overhead cam.

Second, if you get the crower valvetrain upgrade, retainers come with it. And if you're going to actually use the cam and valvetrain, the retainers are necessary if you're revving to 8k.

Third, as for performance gains, you can't just install the cam on a stock engine with a stock ecu and call it a day, it will never run. You need to get an ems for a cam, period. Pick up kpro, that's going to give you the most bang for the buck. Then, once you have it in and running, pick up the cam and valvetraing. Will it be worth it? Absolutely, you'll have some pretty noticeable gains doing those two things and it won't cost 2g.
andyman97 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-28-2008, 12:02 PM   #5 (permalink)
D-series lover

Rep Power: 13 beboo will become famous soon enoughbeboo will become famous soon enoughbeboo will become famous soon enough
iTrader Score: 16 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyman97 View Post
First of all, you only have one cam in a d17, hence, single overhead cam.

Second, if you get the crower valvetrain upgrade, retainers come with it. And if you're going to actually use the cam and valvetrain, the retainers are necessary if you're revving to 8k.

Third, as for performance gains, you can't just install the cam on a stock engine with a stock ecu and call it a day, it will never run. You need to get an ems for a cam, period. Pick up kpro, that's going to give you the most bang for the buck. Then, once you have it in and running, pick up the cam and valvetraing. Will it be worth it? Absolutely, you'll have some pretty noticeable gains doing those two things and it won't cost 2g.
kpro ????? are u serious.

beboo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-28-2008, 03:25 PM   #6 (permalink)
D-Series cadet

yes kpro! what else? all the others suck let alone that there isint many options for tuning the d17
2001 silver acura el d17a2 no badges/aem cai/skunk2 ss cat back system/magnaflow high flow cat converter/headman headers/16 inch aftermarket honda wheels wrapped in hancook ventus 205 45 16/tein ss full coilover suspension w pillow mounts/megan racing camber kit/clarion pro audio touch screen deck(not worth 600$) alpine 15inch type r sub w/ clarion amp rated at 830 rms
01elto is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-28-2008, 08:04 PM   #7 (permalink)
D-series lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by beboo View Post
kpro ????? are u serious.
I would assume he is serious considering it's the most beneficial upgrade for the money on these engines.
prancer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-28-2008, 08:06 PM   #8 (permalink)
D-series lover

Rep Power: 13 beboo will become famous soon enoughbeboo will become famous soon enoughbeboo will become famous soon enough
iTrader Score: 16 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by prancer View Post
I would assume he is serious considering it's the most beneficial upgrade for the money on these engines.
oops didn't notice this was the 7th gen forum

beboo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-06-2008, 09:11 PM   #9 (permalink)
D-series lover

how much is the kpro ecu?

"future plans 01 EM2"
Rota Gold D'2
Mugen front/rear lip
Old 10-07-2008, 06:47 AM   #10 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 14 jamisgood is learning the way of the Djamisgood is learning the way of the D
Send a message via AIM to jamisgood

Kpro runs about a grand and the only other good option for 7th gen tuning if the AEM full standalone EMS system, which runs around $1800 or more. And d17project to answer your question as to would the stage 3 be good for a stock motor: my simple answer would be no. It may be alright once the turbo is on, but before that if you run that big of a cam you're gonna want high compression in order to take advantage of it.

Tein Basic Damper Coilovers
Fujita CAI
HP Racing 4-1 Ceramic Header
de-catted exhaust
16" Grid Full Royal Sport Bronze Rotas
2 1/4" custom exhaust
Lightened Flywheel
Apexi Neo
D17A2 engine
jamisgood is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-07-2008, 07:11 AM   #11 (permalink)
D-series lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamisgood View Post
Kpro runs about a grand and the only other good option for 7th gen tuning if the AEM full standalone EMS system, which runs around $1800 or more. And d17project to answer your question as to would the stage 3 be good for a stock motor: my simple answer would be no. It may be alright once the turbo is on, but before that if you run that big of a cam you're gonna want high compression in order to take advantage of it.
so you recommend the stage 2?

and can i see your car, it looks nice by the specs i see

"future plans 01 EM2"
Rota Gold D'2
Mugen front/rear lip
Old 10-07-2008, 07:35 AM   #12 (permalink)
D-series lover

Send a message via Yahoo to HNFTuning

Crower 442...Y8 mini

HNFTuning is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-07-2008, 10:05 AM   #13 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 14 jamisgood is learning the way of the Djamisgood is learning the way of the D

Quote:
Originally Posted by d17project View Post
so you recommend the stage 2?

and can i see your car, it looks nice by the specs i see
At the largest i would go, yes a stage 2. And still to really get the full benefit of that cam you should go ahead with P&P and high compression pistons.

Fujita CAI
de-catted exhaust
2 1/4" custom exhaust
Lightened Flywheel
Apexi Neo
D17A2 engine
Old 10-07-2008, 10:09 AM   #14 (permalink)
D-series soldier

I am computer retarded my friend and i cannot figure out how to post the pics up again...BUT if you wanna see it you can find it in the Thread called from earlier called something like "Post up pics of your 7th gens" Mine is in there among the many so just search for "jamisgood" in the search bar. SOrry i have to make it so difficult lol.

Cheers

Fujita CAI
de-catted exhaust
2 1/4" custom exhaust
Lightened Flywheel
Apexi Neo
D17A2 engine

Last edited by jamisgood; 10-07-2008 at 10:13 AM.
Old 10-07-2008, 11:09 AM   #15 (permalink)
D-series lover

haha its alright man i'll find it and i have some news thats upsetting.

so i got these wheels (rims and tires) from my friend for 200$ i had to get them it was too good of a deal and something change for my car.

well one lug was stripped beyond belief and impacted so tight that its impossible to get off

so i take it to a shop to see if they can take it off well they start to take it off and then stop in the middle and say "we're closing come back later"

so i've been coming back for like 3 or 4 days now and am getting NO assistance whats so ever, so i take it this other shop and he said they charge 65$ per hour.

my question is do you guys think it will take an hour to get off the whole lug screw or no?

because right now i'm sitting 2 white wheels in the back and my 2 old silver wheels in the front.

back are 17's fronts 16's.

i don't mind driving around like this, but i would really like to get those wheels on. it just makes me mad when people charge by the hour because they can take their time and what not :/

"future plans 01 EM2"
Rota Gold D'2
Mugen front/rear lip
Old 10-07-2008, 12:12 PM   #16 (permalink)
D-series lover

yeah, it will take atleast and hour.

is it front or rear? it will take longer and cost more to have the front done. replacing a stud with drum brakes is a piece of cake.

lonestar is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-07-2008, 03:48 PM   #17 (permalink)
D-series lover

its the front and i just put my original wheels on i'm going to worry about that later when i get my d2's.

its ridiculous the service people get you know?

it makes me sick.

"future plans 01 EM2"
Rota Gold D'2
Mugen front/rear lip
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Security Question
*Required, this field is not shown to others: While balancing on a piece of wood, two inches by four inches known as a 2x4, john and his friend sally both spotted a dalmatian inside a truck with sirens, headed to put out a fire. State what kind of animal is mentioned in the sentence above.
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in