Finally came to somewhat of a decision - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org Motor Mayhem & Suspension Satisfaction 7th Gen

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-13-2008, 01:41 PM   #1 (permalink)
D-series lover

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Default Finally came to somewhat of a decision

ok fellow d-series members, as some of you may have seen i was confused on what i wanted to do with my em2.
well i've come to somewhat of a conclusion.
here's what i came up with

1. Buy a d17 block build it up and boost that and get an d17a1 head instead of my a2 head (that way i have my spare d17a2 motor currently in my car for backup)
or
2. Slowly build a k20 whether it be a2 or a3.

Speedfoos turbo thread and seeing sick k20's have brought me to this conclusion.

What i want to have in the future is about 200hp.
Whether it be all motor if i build the k or whether it be from the boosted d.

Which do you guys think would be the more reliable/realistic way to go.

thanks in advance, you guys really do help.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"future plans 01 EM2"
Rota Gold D'2
Mugen front/rear lip
d17project is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-13-2008, 02:41 PM   #2 (permalink)
All powerful D-series member

Rep Power: 25 speedfoos is the fucking MAN!!!!speedfoos is the fucking MAN!!!!speedfoos is the fucking MAN!!!!speedfoos is the fucking MAN!!!!
speedfoos is the fucking MAN!!!!speedfoos is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 22 reviews

First off, getting an A1 head is not a good idea because there are zero valve train options for a non-VTEC D17. Stick with the A2.

I'm biased, because I love boost, so I say boost the SOHC. However, if you're not mechanically inclined and need your EM2 as a reliable daily driver, then you should k-swap to get the power you need. I don't mind tearing the motor down when it needs it and fixing things, because the boost makes everything worth it.

Weigh your financial and "constantly gotta fuck with it" options carefully when making this decision. 200whp at about 8psi on a boosted D is easy to hit and run all day long.

|
|
|
speedfoos is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-13-2008, 02:54 PM   #3 (permalink)
D-series lover

yeah that why i was thinking of getting a d17a2 motor aside from the one i have now, so i can build that and get it ready for boost and then drop it in my car and use that until something goes wrong (cause i know something will) and then put my other d17a2 (non boosted) in and fix the d17a2.
cause i know the d17a2's go for cheap everywhere.
so you're thinking boosting the d.
i'm kind of with you on that cause the k swap takes a lot of experience/mechanical knowledge to DIY.
i'm not that "DIY" yourself inclined but i am learning everyday.
so with that said, you think "boost the d" is the best option.

"future plans 01 EM2"
Rota Gold D'2
Mugen front/rear lip

Old 09-13-2008, 03:41 PM   #4 (permalink)

Rep Power: 25 speedfoos is the fucking MAN!!!!speedfoos is the fucking MAN!!!!speedfoos is the fucking MAN!!!!speedfoos is the fucking MAN!!!!

Honestly, it will take more of a mechanically inclined person to build and maintain a turbo'd D17 than it will a k-swapped EM2. You may want to have a peek at 7thgenhonda.com when you get a chance. We've got a bit more info on the D17 than just my thread.

|
|
|
Old 09-14-2008, 07:07 AM   #5 (permalink)
D-series lover

alright i'll check that site out and see whats up

"future plans 01 EM2"
Rota Gold D'2
Mugen front/rear lip
Old 09-14-2008, 09:06 AM   #6 (permalink)
D-series lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by d17project View Post
alright i'll check that site out and see whats up
you need to for sure. If you have a 7thgen civic. You need to be on emhonda.com! You fill find we have covered this topic many many times.

If you want 200hp on a d17 with boost, the search to find parts for the goal will not be challenging. With Clint and Andy opening new doors nearly every day it seems, to new and bigger numbers on this single D. They will tell you 200 hp on this block is something that can be done now with ease.
prancer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-14-2008, 02:00 PM   #7 (permalink)
D-series lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by prancer View Post
you need to for sure. If you have a 7thgen civic. You need to be on emhonda.com! You fill find we have covered this topic many many times.

If you want 200hp on a d17 with boost, the search to find parts for the goal will not be challenging. With Clint and Andy opening new doors nearly every day it seems, to new and bigger numbers on this single D. They will tell you 200 hp on this block is something that can be done now with ease.
yeah man i know, they're genius's and yeah i have an 01 em2.
i'll register to that site right now and search there too.

from what i've found though is that boosting the em2 is not that hard and 200whp for the em2 is relatively easy to acquire.
just need a good tune and piggyback it since its only 200hp right?
and i would need to get bigger injectors?

otherwise everything else is just basic turbo installation?

please someone correct if i'm way wrong.

"future plans 01 EM2"
Rota Gold D'2
Mugen front/rear lip
Old 09-15-2008, 06:23 AM   #8 (permalink)
D-series lover

didn't wanna start a new thread with each question i have so i was wondering;

If i buy the stage III cam like andy said on 7thgenhonda.com
What else do i have to buy with it.
Like once i buy the actual cams, what other parts do i have to buy in order for me to install them and have them work

"future plans 01 EM2"
Rota Gold D'2
Mugen front/rear lip
Old 09-15-2008, 06:33 AM   #9 (permalink)
my dd has 1800 ftlbs of torque

Rep Power: 21 Tibby is the fucking MAN!!!!Tibby is the fucking MAN!!!!Tibby is the fucking MAN!!!!
Tibby is the fucking MAN!!!!Tibby is the fucking MAN!!!!Tibby is the fucking MAN!!!!Tibby is the fucking MAN!!!!Tibby is the fucking MAN!!!!Tibby is the fucking MAN!!!!Tibby is the fucking MAN!!!!Tibby is the fucking MAN!!!!Tibby is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 13 reviews

i say skip the biult d17 and just get a k20 keep the d17 stock till your ready to put the k20 in

ak riding shotgun literally

autox/ touge ej1
Built 12.5 d., ac, pic selects, itr sway, wide wheels, more bracing than a dentist office lol

09 Chevy 3500hd crew cab long bed 4x4 just because I felt like it
Tibby is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-15-2008, 07:48 AM   #10 (permalink)
D-series lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by estldmwhore View Post
i say skip the biult d17 and just get a k20 keep the d17 stock till your ready to put the k20 in
. . . give me some reasons on why should I do the k20 or built d17. cause I have every reason to believe that a built d17 would be the shit especially from the d17's I've seen built. speedfoos, andy I mean I'm not going for 400whp I'm shooting for 200hp+

"future plans 01 EM2"
Rota Gold D'2
Mugen front/rear lip
Old 09-15-2008, 04:49 PM   #11 (permalink)
D-Series cadet

cuase the k series will go to 200whp++ with bolt ons get a k20a2 with a aem cai(19 dyno proven whp) with exhaust, headers and higflow cat and youl have 200 whp or more and just as reliable dont get me wrong i love my d17 but keep in mind wether d,b,k,r or any other motor turbo=alot more power but alot more maintnance plus if you cant do it yourself finding someone who actualy can is not easy or cheap
2001 silver acura el d17a2 no badges/aem cai/skunk2 ss cat back system/magnaflow high flow cat converter/headman headers/16 inch aftermarket honda wheels wrapped in hancook ventus 205 45 16/tein ss full coilover suspension w pillow mounts/megan racing camber kit/clarion pro audio touch screen deck(not worth 600$) alpine 15inch type r sub w/ clarion amp rated at 830 rms
01elto is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-15-2008, 05:43 PM   #12 (permalink)
D-series lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by 01elto View Post
cuase the k series will go to 200whp++ with bolt ons get a k20a2 with a aem cai(19 dyno proven whp) with exhaust, headers and higflow cat and youl have 200 whp or more and just as reliable dont get me wrong i love my d17 but keep in mind wether d,b,k,r or any other motor turbo=alot more power but alot more maintnance plus if you cant do it yourself finding someone who actualy can is not easy or cheap
like what kind of maintenance would i have to do?
i know like basic upkeep and trust if i actually went 100% through
with boosting it, i'd make sure i didn plenty of research on how to upkeep
a turbo'd engine

"future plans 01 EM2"
Rota Gold D'2
Mugen front/rear lip
Old 09-15-2008, 05:57 PM   #13 (permalink)
formerly allnaturalrex

Rep Power: 22 greasemonkey89 is the fucking MAN!!!!greasemonkey89 is the fucking MAN!!!!greasemonkey89 is the fucking MAN!!!!
greasemonkey89 is the fucking MAN!!!!greasemonkey89 is the fucking MAN!!!!greasemonkey89 is the fucking MAN!!!!greasemonkey89 is the fucking MAN!!!!greasemonkey89 is the fucking MAN!!!!greasemonkey89 is the fucking MAN!!!!greasemonkey89 is the fucking MAN!!!!greasemonkey89 is the fucking MAN!!!!greasemonkey89 is the fucking MAN!!!!greasemonkey89 is the fucking MAN!!!!greasemonkey89 is the fucking MAN!!!!greasemonkey89 is the fucking MAN!!!!greasemonkey89 is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 14 reviews
Send a message via AIM to greasemonkey89

whatever you can afford is what you should do. both are great set-ups its all about how big your pockets are and what makes you happy.

"Aircooled Enthusiast/ D-Series Fanatic"

Resident D-series.org metalhead Alliance member #2
greasemonkey89 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-15-2008, 06:09 PM   #14 (permalink)
D-series lover

boost is prolly what i'm going to be able to afford and i've been in a boosted eclipse, and i absolutely loved it

"future plans 01 EM2"
Rota Gold D'2
Mugen front/rear lip
Old 09-15-2008, 06:12 PM   #15 (permalink)
formerly allnaturalrex

Rep Power: 22 greasemonkey89 is the fucking MAN!!!!greasemonkey89 is the fucking MAN!!!!greasemonkey89 is the fucking MAN!!!!
greasemonkey89 is the fucking MAN!!!!greasemonkey89 is the fucking MAN!!!!greasemonkey89 is the fucking MAN!!!!greasemonkey89 is the fucking MAN!!!!greasemonkey89 is the fucking MAN!!!!greasemonkey89 is the fucking MAN!!!!greasemonkey89 is the fucking MAN!!!!greasemonkey89 is the fucking MAN!!!!greasemonkey89 is the fucking MAN!!!!greasemonkey89 is the fucking MAN!!!!greasemonkey89 is the fucking MAN!!!!greasemonkey89 is the fucking MAN!!!!greasemonkey89 is the fucking MAN!!!!

Quote:
boost is prolly what i'm going to be able to afford and i've been in a boosted eclipse, and i absolutely loved it
there you go bro no need to go back and forth about this always go with what makes you happy.

Old 09-15-2008, 06:17 PM   #16 (permalink)
D-series lover

yeah they only reason the k20 was in my mind was reliability but if i maintain the turbo then it should stay reliable as n/a right?

"future plans 01 EM2"
Rota Gold D'2
Mugen front/rear lip
Old 09-15-2008, 06:26 PM   #17 (permalink)
formerly allnaturalrex

Quote:
yeah they only reason the k20 was in my mind was reliability but if i maintain the turbo then it should stay reliable as n/a right?
boost is reliable like any other form of FI just keep up with the maintence of your car like oil changes and what not let the turbo cool down like with a turbo timer or whatever else. makes sure you get a good tune and be smart and you should be fine

Old 09-15-2008, 06:36 PM   #18 (permalink)
D-series lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by allnaturalrex View Post
boost is reliable like any other form of FI just keep up with the maintence of your car like oil changes and what not let the turbo cool down like with a turbo timer or whatever else. makes sure you get a good tune and be smart and you should be fine
yeah if i actually went through with boost i'd get all top notch stuff
because i wouldn't want to fuck up my motor with cheap stuff.
and i'd def keep it up kept and there's this shop/dude in dallas thats supposed to be really good

"future plans 01 EM2"
Rota Gold D'2
Mugen front/rear lip
Old 09-17-2008, 10:32 AM   #19 (permalink)
D-series lover

and does anyone know where i can obtain one of those license plates that look like the came from japan that says "em-2" on it?

"future plans 01 EM2"
Rota Gold D'2
Mugen front/rear lip
Old 09-17-2008, 05:25 PM   #20 (permalink)

^^ Ebay. Search EM2 Civic.

Boost is reliable as long as you pay attention to maintenance and fix things as soon as they go wrong. Boosted motors are just about as reliable as NA cars, however when something goes wrong, it's usually pretty catastrophic if you ignore it.

|
|
|
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Security Question
*Required, this field is not shown to others: While balancing on a piece of wood, two inches by four inches known as a 2x4, john and his friend sally both spotted a dalmatian inside a truck with sirens, headed to put out a fire. State what kind of animal is mentioned in the sentence above.
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in