Oh great idling problems - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org Motor Mayhem & Suspension Satisfaction 7th Gen

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-28-2008, 10:36 PM   #1 (permalink)
D-series lover

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Default Oh great idling problems

well i was driving down the high and i went to shift down to 4th but i shifted down to 2nd on accident i watched my tac swim in redline for a split second so i held the clutch and point it into neutral and coasted for a little bit. now when my cars at a complete stop it kind of "hiccups" you can say. does anyone know what happened?
please tell me its nothing huge? cause this is my only car for now and i'm about to start a new job so i won't a g right off the bat. -____-
like is it super serious or is it ok. cause it still accelerates and shifts great.
oh yeah it has about 110k miles on it.
d17project is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-28-2008, 11:49 PM   #2 (permalink)
D-series lover

Rep Power: 12 racerxnitro is learning the way of the Dracerxnitro is learning the way of the D

does your clutch feel soft?
|||||||||||||||||||||
▄█▀ █▬█ █ ▀█▀▄█▀ █▬█ █ ▀█▀▄█▀ █▬█ █ ▀█▀▄█▀ █▬█ █ ▀█▀▄█▀ █▬█ █ ▀█▀

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

racerxnitro is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-29-2008, 07:20 AM   #3 (permalink)
D-series lover

nope not at all it feels the same, when I started this morning I popped the hood to see if anything kind of shakey you know. I didn't see anything odd about the engine. I closed the hood and just stood outside the car andlistened and its a very very quiet hiccup and you can tell when you stand by the exhaust or sit in the drivers seat. I really hope its nothing horrible like transmission. :\

Old 08-29-2008, 07:22 AM   #4 (permalink)
n00b

Has your engine light come on? I've seen symtoms similar to yours before and have been told that accidentally shifting from 4th to 2nd like what happened to you can almost backspin the crank and cause the valves to meet the pistons just a slight bit in some occasions and throwing an engine code. I can't remember exactly what it was.
01LXCoupe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-29-2008, 10:01 AM   #5 (permalink)
D-Series cadet

probably bent a valve
2001 silver acura el d17a2 no badges/aem cai/skunk2 ss cat back system/magnaflow high flow cat converter/headman headers/16 inch aftermarket honda wheels wrapped in hancook ventus 205 45 16/tein ss full coilover suspension w pillow mounts/megan racing camber kit/clarion pro audio touch screen deck(not worth 600$) alpine 15inch type r sub w/ clarion amp rated at 830 rms
01elto is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-29-2008, 10:10 AM   #6 (permalink)
D-series lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by 01LXCoupe View Post
Has your engine light come on? I've seen symtoms similar to yours before and have been told that accidentally shifting from 4th to 2nd like what happened to you can almost backspin the crank and cause the valves to meet the pistons just a slight bit in some occasions and throwing an engine code. I can't remember exactly what it was.
no engine codes or anything came up. and to the other guy "bent valve" is that really a bad problem?
Old 08-29-2008, 10:40 AM   #7 (permalink)
All powerful D-series member

Rep Power: 25 speedfoos is the fucking MAN!!!!speedfoos is the fucking MAN!!!!speedfoos is the fucking MAN!!!!speedfoos is the fucking MAN!!!!
speedfoos is the fucking MAN!!!!speedfoos is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 22 reviews

Bent valves.

Yes it's a bad problem, especially if you don't get it fixed. Pull the head, take it to a machine shop and ask them to fix it. You're looking at probably around $225 for them to find which valves are bent and install new ones. This isn't really a DIY thing unless you're comfortable pulling the valve springs off, finding which valves are bent, and then installing new ones and lapping them in.

|
|
|
speedfoos is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-29-2008, 08:07 PM   #8 (permalink)
D-series lover

well my engine light came on and my engine book says I have to change my plugs for my valves every 110k miles and I'm at 110xxxk so I'm hoping its that. the car still RUNS PERFECT and starts up perfect. I took it to my friends dad who's like a mechanic and that's what he told me, he said he's 75% sure that's what it is based on the symptoms so I'm going tomorrow and have them plug me up to the computer. wish me luck guys
Old 08-29-2008, 08:12 PM   #9 (permalink)
D-series G0D

Rep Power: 25 cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!
cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 14 reviews
Send a message via AIM to cervan Send a message via MSN to cervan

you can skip up to 5 teeth before valves hit pistons, after that its game over.
cervan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-30-2008, 04:02 AM   #10 (permalink)
n00b

Sorry for the news, but I remember now that the code I was getting was related to plugs. Good luck though.
Old 08-30-2008, 08:35 AM   #11 (permalink)
D-series lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by 01LXCoupe View Post
Sorry for the news, but I remember now that the code I was getting was related to plugs. Good luck though.

yeah thats exactly what it is, i took it a local shop here and they ran it and gave me the code of "random valve misfire" or something like that and he said its just the spark plugs that need to be replaced, especially since its at 110k and the book says that also. so i'm so happy to hear that. i'd rather pay 30 for some ngk spark plugs than 1k and up for something that went horribly wrong.
thanks
Old 08-30-2008, 09:24 AM   #12 (permalink)

Rep Power: 25 speedfoos is the fucking MAN!!!!speedfoos is the fucking MAN!!!!speedfoos is the fucking MAN!!!!speedfoos is the fucking MAN!!!!

We'll be here when you post back and tell us that new spark plugs didn't fix your bent valves.

|
|
|
Old 08-30-2008, 10:18 AM   #13 (permalink)
D-series lover

well why would they tell me something else? and my check engine light isn't even on anymore so that's why the random cylinder misfire seems like that's the problem. I'm not tryin to argue with you so don't get tha vibe
Old 08-30-2008, 11:28 AM   #14 (permalink)

You missed 4th and hit 2nd and afterwards your car started behaving abnormally. It threw a CEL for random cylinder misfire which the "mechanic" said was bad spark plugs. While hitting the redline is not a big deal - I do this on a daily basis - a mis shift is and can bend valves because the engine is revving so high. Sure the fuel cuts, but the motor is still spinning wicked fast and it's quite common to spank a few valves when this happens. The reason they told you something else is because he probably didn't spend a lot of time diagnosing the problem and is not familiar with the interference engine that Honda has. Personally, I just don't trust "mechanics" because there a lot of dumbass mechanics out there.

I had something similar happen to me as well, the cause wasn't the same, but I had 4 slightly bent valves in my head. It caused a very erratic idle, but the car still ran like a bat out of hell when I got on it. I pulled the head apart and found the bent valves.

I seriously hope it was just spark plugs for your sake because that's an expensive pain in the ass if it was a couple tweaked valves, but I doubt it.

|
|
|
Old 08-30-2008, 03:02 PM   #15 (permalink)
n00b

Well, hopefully the plugs fix the problem and there aren't any other problems.
Old 08-30-2008, 04:14 PM   #16 (permalink)
D-series lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedfoos View Post
You missed 4th and hit 2nd and afterwards your car started behaving abnormally. It threw a CEL for random cylinder misfire which the "mechanic" said was bad spark plugs. While hitting the redline is not a big deal - I do this on a daily basis - a mis shift is and can bend valves because the engine is revving so high. Sure the fuel cuts, but the motor is still spinning wicked fast and it's quite common to spank a few valves when this happens. The reason they told you something else is because he probably didn't spend a lot of time diagnosing the problem and is not familiar with the interference engine that Honda has. Personally, I just don't trust "mechanics" because there a lot of dumbass mechanics out there.

I had something similar happen to me as well, the cause wasn't the same, but I had 4 slightly bent valves in my head. It caused a very erratic idle, but the car still ran like a bat out of hell when I got on it. I pulled the head apart and found the bent valves.

I seriously hope it was just spark plugs for your sake because that's an expensive pain in the ass if it was a couple tweaked valves, but I doubt it.
well i went to 2 different people and they both came up with the same problem and me and the mechanic dude talked a little, but i do believe what you're saying because i've seen lots of your post and you pretty much know your shit really good. but the only thing that makes me think its not a bent valve is because its only happened once. i just don't understand why one time would do so much damage haha. me and my stupid accidents. and on the engine light not coming on anymore, if my valves were bent wouldn't the check engine light be on all the time though?

and IF worse comes to worse i can find a d17a2 head from a junkyard or for under 200 right?

AND one more off topic thing
should i save up for a crx and just boost that or keep my em2 and make it look mad nice d
Old 08-30-2008, 09:55 PM   #17 (permalink)
D-Series cadet

i did the same thing and bent 6 valves car wouldent even start from 3rd to 2nd at redline you have a bent valve you could of watch the tach hit 10k rpm if you went from 4th 2 second man its not rocket science just take the valve cover off and check how loose the rockers and and i bet you see that there is a few valves that are lower than the otheres 15 mins and youl know
2001 silver acura el d17a2 no badges/aem cai/skunk2 ss cat back system/magnaflow high flow cat converter/headman headers/16 inch aftermarket honda wheels wrapped in hancook ventus 205 45 16/tein ss full coilover suspension w pillow mounts/megan racing camber kit/clarion pro audio touch screen deck(not worth 600$) alpine 15inch type r sub w/ clarion amp rated at 830 rms
01elto is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-31-2008, 12:39 AM   #18 (permalink)

You won't throw a CEL from bent valves, unless they are seriously out of whack. But yeah, you can find complete D17 heads for around $200.

When I checked and re-adjusted my valve lash it was fine with the bent valves. No signs in the rockers that they were bent. Like I said, they were only slightly tweaked and I didn't know which ones were bent until I disassembled the entire head, the four that were bent had issues coming out.

In regards to your OT post....I'd just boost the D17.

|
|
|
Old 08-31-2008, 10:06 AM   #19 (permalink)
D-series lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedfoos View Post
You won't throw a CEL from bent valves, unless they are seriously out of whack. But yeah, you can find complete D17 heads for around $200.

When I checked and re-adjusted my valve lash it was fine with the bent valves. No signs in the rockers that they were bent. Like I said, they were only slightly tweaked and I didn't know which ones were bent until I disassembled the entire head, the four that were bent had issues coming out.

In regards to your OT post....I'd just boost the D17.
well damn this sucks :/ haha my light hasn't came on for like 2 days now and all my starts up have been clean. i got on it in second and it still got on like you said it would.

but i mean if i bent a valve its prolly only slightly tweaked since my car is still running perfect no abnormalities whats so ever.

but thanks for your help man! i'm def going to look for you for more info
and for now i'll just replace my plugs and get a oil change then save up about 200 for the new head and try and find someone who knows what they're doing to swap the heads.

OT post - boosted d's are nice :] i'm going to prolly just get a carbon fiber lip, tein s techs, 17 gold slipstreams, side markers and smoke my tailights, and the boosted D will be my next big project and i WILL come to you and your build thread haha :]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Security Question
*Required, this field is not shown to others: While balancing on a piece of wood, two inches by four inches known as a 2x4, john and his friend sally both spotted a dalmatian inside a truck with sirens, headed to put out a fire. State what kind of animal is mentioned in the sentence above.
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in