Thoughts on the re-design - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org Motor Mayhem & Suspension Satisfaction 7th Gen

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-19-2004, 04:58 PM   #1 (permalink)
phatcyclist

Default Thoughts on the re-design

Well, as you all are probably aware of, there are many differences between the 6th gen and 7th gen civics in terms of design. Ive gotten many different opinions about this, but I figure it was a thread-worthy topic. Pretty much just post your likes (and dislikes, critisism never hurt anyone) of the new design. Being one of the few 7th gen owners here, im just trying to get some threads set up for the new section of the forum.

Happy posting!
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-19-2004, 05:28 PM   #2 (permalink)
Premium Member

Location: In Pennsyltucky about 6 1/2 hours under civic4VW & 2.5hrs above Mods! (The sticks away from people)
Rep Power: 33 Rexinre is the fucking MAN!!!!Rexinre is the fucking MAN!!!!Rexinre is the fucking MAN!!!!Rexinre is the fucking MAN!!!!
Rexinre is the fucking MAN!!!!Rexinre is the fucking MAN!!!!Rexinre is the fucking MAN!!!!Rexinre is the fucking MAN!!!!Rexinre is the fucking MAN!!!!Rexinre is the fucking MAN!!!!Rexinre is the fucking MAN!!!!Rexinre is the fucking MAN!!!!Rexinre is the fucking MAN!!!!Rexinre is the fucking MAN!!!!Rexinre is the fucking MAN!!!!Rexinre is the fucking MAN!!!!Rexinre is the fucking MAN!!!!Rexinre is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 11 reviews
Send a message via MSN to Rexinre Send a message via Skype™ to Rexinre

I think it looks like a girls car now. The motor is nice though... The other thing I like is there is no hump in the back seat so it has more room!

Check out my civic build here -->
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Rexinre is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-20-2004, 03:08 PM   #3 (permalink)

S Q A D is about to kiss the skyS Q A D is about to kiss the skyS Q A D is about to kiss the skyS Q A D is about to kiss the skyS Q A D is about to kiss the skyS Q A D is about to kiss the skyS Q A D is about to kiss the sky
iTrader Score: 2 reviews

the motor is not nice in my opinion , its like honda didnt want people to even try to modify these things...

remember, they dont build hondas for racing ... we do
S Q A D is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2004, 03:41 PM   #4 (permalink)
Premium Member

Location: In Pennsyltucky about 6 1/2 hours under civic4VW & 2.5hrs above Mods! (The sticks away from people)
Rep Power: 33 Rexinre is the fucking MAN!!!!Rexinre is the fucking MAN!!!!Rexinre is the fucking MAN!!!!Rexinre is the fucking MAN!!!!
Rexinre is the fucking MAN!!!!Rexinre is the fucking MAN!!!!Rexinre is the fucking MAN!!!!Rexinre is the fucking MAN!!!!Rexinre is the fucking MAN!!!!Rexinre is the fucking MAN!!!!Rexinre is the fucking MAN!!!!Rexinre is the fucking MAN!!!!Rexinre is the fucking MAN!!!!Rexinre is the fucking MAN!!!!Rexinre is the fucking MAN!!!!Rexinre is the fucking MAN!!!!Rexinre is the fucking MAN!!!!Rexinre is the fucking MAN!!!!
Send a message via MSN to Rexinre Send a message via Skype™ to Rexinre

Good point... I didn't know it was that hard to modify!

Check out my civic build here -->

Rexinre is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-20-2004, 07:00 PM   #5 (permalink)
Premium Member

Rep Power: 41 Bizzar is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Bizzar is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Bizzar is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Bizzar is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Bizzar is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
Bizzar is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Bizzar is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Bizzar is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Bizzar is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Bizzar is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Bizzar is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Bizzar is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Bizzar is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Bizzar is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Bizzar is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Bizzar is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Bizzar is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Bizzar is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Bizzar is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 15 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Bizzar Send a message via MSN to Bizzar Send a message via Yahoo to Bizzar

Just look under the hood and you will see what hes talking about. Theres no room to work on the bastards let alone add anything to it! I dont like them. I dislike the look, the feel and the overall engineering of them.

Bizzar is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-20-2004, 08:50 PM   #6 (permalink)
DseriesScience

Exclamation EG Ku Pe Ichiban Kinniku Yonrinsha!! Ichiban Honda Shibikku!!!

GRRRRRR!!!!!! I hate the motor mounts!!!!!! GRRRRRRR Even though it is clever how they solved the abroubt camber change problem in Mcpherson struts, I really really REALLY hate the suspension set up of Jennifer's new car. For those of you who dont know, that is who is responsible for our missery! she is a software composite of the opinions of a zillion women and whom the car is built around.
Most of all, I really really really hate the nonsensical idea that having gone through all the trouble of redoing the suspension, why the hell didnt they put in the si K in the EX and the RSX type S in the SI and the JDM 220 hp integra (yes virginia they are tegs everywhere else) in the RSX here. The seats are musshy and unsuportive and the handling is buttery at best. It doesnt feel right( ok, what can next to an EG, THE DEFINITION OF CIVIC) and the EX felt aneimic next to my pre mod EX. Yes, I did consider the change once because I want HID's and polar temperatures even in AZ but this new civic is not true to its roots. On the other hand, the muscle car was not killed by smog, it was killed by the same rising insurance rates that are killing the sport compact car so I suspect I will pull up to a fuel pump and some kid will be all gaga over my Honda Kinniku Yonrinsha

Last edited by DseriesScience; 06-21-2004 at 11:37 AM.
Old 06-21-2004, 07:38 AM   #7 (permalink)
D-series lover

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via AIM to freeturkeys

i recently bought myself a new 04 civic and honesty i love the thing... i will say it is a pain in the ass to work on.. it took me all weekend just to put my stereo in... but i love the way it looks and drives... as far as the engine goes it is very similar to the way the y7 was set up... ie vertical throttle body and exhaust manifold mounted cat... one thing i dont like is that from the header back the exhaust is all one piece... and when you decide to get a new exhaust or even a header you have to replace everything from the engine back. although this was pretty much the case with the y7 its still a pain in the butt. the other thing that bothers me is the front struts... although i am starting to see other options, replacing the front shock seems to require hacking apart the factory strut housing and removing the factory shock internals and installing new ones (readain in the ass)... other then that i still dont know too much, and the other site that is set up for this gen seems to have more ricers then solid technical information. ah well.
-dan
Old 06-21-2004, 11:41 AM   #8 (permalink)
phatcyclist

Hmm, well considering Ive seen many people running god amount of boost in these motors without any problem, Im actually suprised that everyone thinks they are so hard to modify, and that the blocks and internals are weak.

also, freeturkeys, are you talking about 7thgencivic.com? There is so much valuable tuning information on that site for 7thgens, if you really read the technical forums on there, you can find alot out about the 7thgens.
Old 06-21-2004, 11:58 AM   #9 (permalink)
DseriesScience

Smile

The Innards on all the D's come weak from the factory. That's because they were designed with grandma and jennifer in mind not you and me.

The intervening section was found to be not funny and has subsequently been removed.

I wonder, if enough of us revel, will honda listen ?

Last edited by DseriesScience; 06-21-2004 at 11:25 PM.
Old 06-21-2004, 12:00 PM   #10 (permalink)

S Q A D is about to kiss the skyS Q A D is about to kiss the skyS Q A D is about to kiss the skyS Q A D is about to kiss the skyS Q A D is about to kiss the skyS Q A D is about to kiss the skyS Q A D is about to kiss the sky

Quote:
Originally Posted by phatcyclist
Hmm, well considering Ive seen many people running god amount of boost in these motors without any problem.
its not that they can't be made better , but from what I understand they dont make bolt on turbo kits for the d17a1 ... does'nt it have to be a custom job ? maybe im wrong though ..
Old 06-21-2004, 12:23 PM   #11 (permalink)
phatcyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesqad127
its not that they can't be made better , but from what I understand they dont make bolt on turbo kits for the d17a1 ... does'nt it have to be a custom job ? maybe im wrong though ..
Many small companys comanies do make them, and alot of them are quite good. Th A1 is a little more dificult because of the location of the cat; some of the kits include a downpipe that will work, others you have to get the old TIG welder out and make one. At this point in time, I wouldn't go buy a kit, but in a year or so when some more major comapnies offer them with warranties, then It would probably be a good consideraiton.
Old 06-21-2004, 05:50 PM   #12 (permalink)
DseriesScience

Given the right geometry and weight distribution, even live axels front and back may be tuned to produce superb handling. Shock valving and spring rates are just a small part of suspension design and geometry and there are compromises made long before the valving or the rate questions that affect the resulting geometry far more. Honda has been looking for a way to return to Mcpherson struts for a long time. Mcpherson struts are considerably more economical to assemble into a car and result in a simpler suspension that is almost as functional as the unequal length A arm. The exception-and the reason honda was committed not to return to Mcpherson struts until this was solved- is that Mcphersons have an inherent tendency to undergo abrupt camber changes from negative to positive under high cornering loads. Having found an effective solution to the problem for what the engineers felt was the hardest cornering the majority of customers would find and faced with driving position complaints ( a great number of people dislike the low driving position in EGs and Tegs) it was only a matter of time. However, performance handling was not the intent and there is precious little anyone can do to fix it for the time being. KYB and Tokico are in the process of designing direct replacements but currently it is necessary to open the factory housing and replace the inner components and performance remains unsatisfactory.
There are problems with reduced braking performance under hard braking loads with Mcphersons that remain to be solved but I suspect that equiping the civics with abs would address this reasonably well.
I wonder how much do these new civics squat under hard braking and if the contact patch remains constant? anybody have any ideas or experience in this regard?

Last edited by DseriesScience; 06-21-2004 at 11:31 PM.
Old 06-21-2004, 11:12 PM   #13 (permalink)
All powerful D-series member

makku is a Top Aussiemakku is a Top Aussiemakku is a Top Aussiemakku is a Top Aussiemakku is a Top Aussiemakku is a Top Aussiemakku is a Top Aussiemakku is a Top Aussiemakku is a Top Aussiemakku is a Top Aussiemakku is a Top Aussie
Send a message via AIM to makku Send a message via MSN to makku Send a message via Yahoo to makku

post edited... conflict resolved

typing in japanese OWNS YOU!

Quote:
forecast for tomorrow... a few sprinkles of genius with a chance for DOOM!
Quote:
But I thought you said TV was bad?
It is... but we fucking need it.

Last edited by makku; 06-22-2004 at 02:58 AM.
makku is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-21-2004, 11:18 PM   #14 (permalink)

makku is a Top Aussiemakku is a Top Aussiemakku is a Top Aussiemakku is a Top Aussiemakku is a Top Aussiemakku is a Top Aussiemakku is a Top Aussiemakku is a Top Aussiemakku is a Top Aussiemakku is a Top Aussiemakku is a Top Aussie
Send a message via AIM to makku Send a message via MSN to makku Send a message via Yahoo to makku

BTW, Dss... what the hell is Kinniku Yonrinsha?? My japanese doesn't seem to cover these words

Quote:
Quote:
Old 06-21-2004, 11:22 PM   #15 (permalink)
phatcyclist

This has been resolved with PMs, me and DseriesScience have decided that this is going nowhere. I apreciate the diligence of the members here to present information, and I will take a little more time to uncover the humor in the posts of other members here.
Old 06-21-2004, 11:22 PM   #16 (permalink)

::turns around and leaves thread::
Old 06-21-2004, 11:36 PM   #17 (permalink)
DseriesScience

Ok, so peace has returned to the land of the D Thanks Makku, I really apreciate that post. I owe you one!!

oh, Kinniku Yonrinsha would be Muscle Car I gathered you where able to get the rest I do love my civic!
Old 06-21-2004, 11:48 PM   #18 (permalink)

oh... i've gotten to the point where i can't read romanji. Doesn't make sense to me unless it's written like this:

EGクペーは一番の筋肉四輪四輪車一番ホンだシビック   (can't forget the correct grammar... hopefully it's correct... haven't taken japanese in a year)

Quote:
Quote:

Last edited by makku; 06-21-2004 at 11:51 PM.
Old 06-22-2004, 12:09 AM   #19 (permalink)
DseriesScience

Quote:
Originally Posted by makku
oh... i've gotten to the point where i can't read romanji. Doesn't make sense to me unless it's written like this:

EGクペーは一番の筋肉四輪四輪車一番ホンだシビック   (can't forget the correct grammar... hopefully it's correct... haven't taken japanese in a year)
Ok, how did you get Harigana, kanji and katakana to appear? its going to take me some time to translate that -even if it says the exact same thing- because I am actually worse off than you (learning romaji, illiterate in kanji, harigana, and katakana)
is the 7th gen sedan/coupe still the Ferio in JDM?
Old 06-22-2004, 12:56 AM   #20 (permalink)
phatcyclist

The sedan is still the ferio I think, interestingly enough though, from the firewall back (minus the dash), the body and interior panels on the new coupe are completely designed in America and made in Ohio.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in