cam gear? - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org Motor Mayhem & Suspension Satisfaction 7th Gen

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-02-2006, 11:23 AM   #1 (permalink)

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Default cam gear?

my d17a6 is at about 85k so it's time to change the timing belt and the water pump, while that part of the motor is takin apart what are some good mods to do, i was thinkin about cam gear. any other ideas? thanks.
Spitfire32888 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-03-2006, 08:26 AM   #2 (permalink)
All powerful D-series member

Rep Power: 25 speedfoos is the fucking MAN!!!!speedfoos is the fucking MAN!!!!speedfoos is the fucking MAN!!!!speedfoos is the fucking MAN!!!!
speedfoos is the fucking MAN!!!!speedfoos is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 22 reviews

As most people say, minimal gains for our 7th gen. But its still fun, and if its all you've got to play, with have at it. As long as you're, monkeying around on that side of the engine, you can go with a lightened crank pulley (AEM makes a decent one). Anything you can do to reduce any spun weight usually helps. I don't have any personal experience with underdrive pulleys so can't make a recommendation there, but a lightened stock one will make a difference. A new cam gear is really only helpful if you throw the car on a dyno to ensure any adjustments made will actually help your performance. Then again, they do look nice even if you don't mess with the adjustment. Just cut your pulley cover to be able to see it and make adjustments. My .02 is all.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|
speedfoos is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-04-2006, 07:36 PM   #3 (permalink)

save your money. turbo the car or swap unless your going for show
singleslamsalas is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2006, 07:53 PM   #4 (permalink)
D-series lover

Send a message via AIM to redex04

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedfoos
As most people say, minimal gains for our 7th gen. But its still fun, and if its all you've got to play, with have at it. As long as you're, monkeying around on that side of the engine, you can go with a lightened crank pulley (AEM makes a decent one). Anything you can do to reduce any spun weight usually helps. I don't have any personal experience with underdrive pulleys so can't make a recommendation there, but a lightened stock one will make a difference. A new cam gear is really only helpful if you throw the car on a dyno to ensure any adjustments made will actually help your performance. Then again, they do look nice even if you don't mess with the adjustment. Just cut your pulley cover to be able to see it and make adjustments. My .02 is all.

so how do u like that cam gear, im thinking of geting one as well

04 Civic EX coupe

^civicsi94 thanks for hooking it up
redex04 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-06-2006, 08:25 PM   #5 (permalink)
D-series lover

do u guys now of i can make the cam gear from an 01-03 work on my 04, the are all D17's?

04 Civic EX coupe

Old 06-07-2006, 05:06 AM   #6 (permalink)

i'm really lookin for some go at the bottom of 2nd so i don't have to jam my shifter back into first when i'm already goin 15ish mph. i was hoping something could help when it came to this part of the motor so anything else would help. and not to ruin the thread but i heard the converting to an electric fan would give my at least an 8 hp gain. would anyone suggest doing that?
Old 06-07-2006, 11:02 AM   #7 (permalink)

Rep Power: 25 speedfoos is the fucking MAN!!!!speedfoos is the fucking MAN!!!!speedfoos is the fucking MAN!!!!speedfoos is the fucking MAN!!!!

redex - it looks nice, although I'm at stock specs since I can't find, nor do I want to pay for, dyno time in the UK. So I can't give you any performance specs, but sure looks nice.

spitfire - Are you serious? Umm, your fan is already electric.... Crank is on the right, so it can't have a fan connected to it (or the waterpump) like a V6 or V8 ir does. Plus considering I shift into 2nd between 25-30mph, I think you may need to do a little basic engine research before trying to tinker with anything.

|
|
|
Old 06-07-2006, 02:15 PM   #8 (permalink)
maggie

yeah i would say get a new motor and rebuild it and then put that in and turbo it and then make your car cute. thats the best way to go. good luck.
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-07-2006, 09:11 PM   #9 (permalink)
D-series lover

awesome...thanks for the imput.....are u seeing any kind of gains out of it?

04 Civic EX coupe

Old 06-07-2006, 09:17 PM   #10 (permalink)

Rep Power: 0 93civ123 smells like Borat93civ123 smells like Borat93civ123 smells like Borat93civ123 smells like Borat93civ123 smells like Borat93civ123 smells like Borat

sorry dont mean to steal the thread but dosent aftermarket crank pully trow off the balance
93civ123 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-08-2006, 09:18 PM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedfoos
redex - it looks nice, although I'm at stock specs since I can't find, nor do I want to pay for, dyno time in the UK. So I can't give you any performance specs, but sure looks nice.

spitfire - Are you serious? Umm, your fan is already electric.... Crank is on the right, so it can't have a fan connected to it (or the waterpump) like a V6 or V8 ir does. Plus considering I shift into 2nd between 25-30mph, I think you may need to do a little basic engine research before trying to tinker with anything.
noob mistake my b. but i just started auto-xing and (for example) when i come off of a straight going 45mph+ and i have to take a 90+ degree turn at between 15mph and 30mph i can't jam it back into first without spinning the hell out of my tires and it just gets me no where. so i have to stay in 2nd. thats why i'm lookin for some more punch at the bottom of 2nd. thanks.
Old 06-09-2006, 02:13 PM   #12 (permalink)

spitfire - Gotcha, no probs. The only thing I can think of there is to heel-toe your downshift at that speed range if you want to continue running an NA setup. Other than that you're looking at lower RPM range spooling turbo to counter the bottom-of-2nd blues. Good luck.

93 - 4 banger Hondas aren't like 8s and 6s where they need a harmonic balancer to keep the engine from tearing itself. A reputable aftermarket pulley should be fine as they will be properly balanced and not create undue stress on the motor. I stress "should".

|
|
|
Old 08-07-2006, 06:57 AM   #13 (permalink)
D-series PIMP

Rep Power: 14 dkid15  is slowly gaining respectdkid15  is slowly gaining respectdkid15  is slowly gaining respectdkid15  is slowly gaining respectdkid15  is slowly gaining respect
iTrader Score: 6 reviews
Send a message via AIM to dkid15

Quote:
Originally Posted by 93civ123
sorry dont mean to steal the thread but dosent aftermarket crank pully trow off the balance
Not the aem one, but i do hear unorthodox ones wobble and what not.
dkid15 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-08-2006, 03:34 AM   #14 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 14 blackDseries is almost a somebodyblackDseries is almost a somebodyblackDseries is almost a somebodyblackDseries is almost a somebody

underdrive pulleys are no good for your car. they spin your accessorys too slow(alternator and power steering and AC). not good for the car. lightened pulleys sure , but not underdrive.

to touch on what speed was saying , very few vehicles have belt/clutch driven fans anymore , all electric.

and yes redex it will fit.

blackDseries is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-17-2006, 09:22 PM   #15 (permalink)

i have the crower stage 1 and i notice a huge difference in 4grand and up rpm range, it was a good 300 spent, next stop turbocity though. And some people have just enough money and time to build on the engine that they already have so a swap is not always an option, you can stil have a little fun and stay reliable witht the d17.
hwt101 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in