ECU tuning - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org Motor Mayhem & Suspension Satisfaction 7th Gen

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-15-2006, 12:01 AM   #1 (permalink)

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Default ECU tuning

hi there..i just want to upgrade my ECU by using piggyback..what should i go for,Apexi vafc or unichip?
thanks
andre_p is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-15-2006, 07:52 AM   #2 (permalink)

VAFC will be useless on a D17.. refer the thread 'Vtec engagement' .. very valuable info for 7th Gen owners..
Pilawoos is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-15-2006, 07:57 PM   #3 (permalink)

i don't get it why you said that vafc2 is useless on a d17??
do you mean that vtec engagement in d17 cannot be adjusted?

Old 05-16-2006, 06:52 PM   #4 (permalink)
D-Series cadet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilawoos
VAFC will be useless on a D17.. refer the thread 'Vtec engagement' .. very valuable info for 7th Gen owners..
The vtec engagement point is at very low rpms, but you can adjust it anyway. Also you can use it to adjust the fuel map, with a new crower cam or for a d17a1 vtec.
gmcuajo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-16-2006, 11:15 PM   #5 (permalink)

new crower cam with higer lift?
mine is already d17a1 vtec.
Old 05-20-2006, 10:50 AM   #6 (permalink)
D-Series cadet

New crower cam with higher lift and/or tuned for performance...

andre_p How you activate the vtec?
Old 05-28-2006, 07:46 AM   #7 (permalink)
maxquebec

i have Emanage and work great but need a lot of tune
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-01-2006, 05:53 AM   #8 (permalink)
All powerful D-series member

custom_junky is a Top Aussiecustom_junky is a Top Aussiecustom_junky is a Top Aussiecustom_junky is a Top Aussiecustom_junky is a Top Aussiecustom_junky is a Top Aussiecustom_junky is a Top Aussiecustom_junky is a Top Aussiecustom_junky is a Top Aussiecustom_junky is a Top Aussiecustom_junky is a Top Aussie
iTrader Score: 4 reviews

for anything below doing a full out NA motor, or boosting...there is no need for a piggy back or anything for tuning...the obdiib ecu (7th gen) is a self adjusting ecu that will self adjust much farther than the standard odbii ecus...even if you were to put in a crower stage 2 the stock ecu will adjust itself to use it...as for the best piggy backs however, the vafcii might be your best choice...however for a good tuning you'll have to go stand alone, and as far as i know the AEM EMS is really the only one out there for the 7th gen civic...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
There's two things in life you never want people to know about you...
1. You know how to work on cars.
2. You know how to work on computers.

You my friend are cursed with this info being out in the open.
^ little truth ^

R.I.P. Milo
R.I.P. PatPrimmer
custom_junky is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-07-2006, 10:18 PM   #9 (permalink)

if anyone know how much is crower stage2 cam?
Old 06-07-2006, 10:34 PM   #10 (permalink)

Rep Power: 34 civic97 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !civic97 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !civic97 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
civic97 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !civic97 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !civic97 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !civic97 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !civic97 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !civic97 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !civic97 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !civic97 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !civic97 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !civic97 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !civic97 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !civic97 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 12 reviews
Send a message via Yahoo to civic97

crower.com

edit: spoke to soon i couldnt find the price of it there.

FUCK THIEVES
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

COD: KING!!!

Last edited by civic97; 06-07-2006 at 10:43 PM.
civic97 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-08-2006, 08:55 AM   #11 (permalink)

custom_junky is a Top Aussiecustom_junky is a Top Aussiecustom_junky is a Top Aussiecustom_junky is a Top Aussiecustom_junky is a Top Aussiecustom_junky is a Top Aussiecustom_junky is a Top Aussiecustom_junky is a Top Aussiecustom_junky is a Top Aussiecustom_junky is a Top Aussiecustom_junky is a Top Aussie

they are about 350 or so...

Quote:

^ little truth ^

R.I.P. Milo
R.I.P. PatPrimmer
Old 06-09-2006, 01:37 PM   #12 (permalink)
n00b

has anybody tried to use ad16a9 on a d17 head?Is the swap possible?
xrem is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-18-2006, 04:16 PM   #13 (permalink)
D-series lover

Send a message via AIM to redex04

i doubt it is because the D17 is really compatable with any previous d series engin. i could be wrong though!

04 Civic EX coupe

^civicsi94 thanks for hooking it up
redex04 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-20-2006, 05:51 PM   #14 (permalink)
D-Series cadet

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrem
has anybody tried to use ad16a9 on a d17 head?Is the swap possible?
From this and other forums, the only heads that fit the D17 7th gen civic is its own head. I never heard, but maybe other heads of engines developed for other markets (japan, europe, brasil) may fit the d17.

Is good to know about the d16w8, a 1.6L with 3 stage vtec and 130hp (don't remember, but i think was developed on japan) that came on those 7th gen civics.

Someone should do that thing that many other did with older civics, import the loved jdm engines.

P.S.
If you ask wth is a 3 stage vtec, it is just that (like 2 vtec engagements). A vtec that have 3 intake lobes: primary, mid and secondary; plus the exhaust lobes. (info is confirmed with a repair manual). Sorry about the english, i commonly speak spanish.
Old 06-25-2006, 09:29 AM   #15 (permalink)
n00b

gmcuajo i've never heard of that engine!Is it possible to provide any links ti sites related to this engine?Sorry about the english i usually speak greek!

PS.Has anybody tried a cam swap on a d17 head?As far as i know a cam swap was possible in all d series engines,even if their displacement was different
xrem is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-05-2006, 04:18 AM   #16 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 14 blackDseries is almost a somebodyblackDseries is almost a somebodyblackDseries is almost a somebodyblackDseries is almost a somebody

theres no such thing as 3 stage VTEC. i dont know where you got this from but its not so. your intakes are either running off the primary and secondary lobes,(normal operating lobes for intake valves) , or the VTEC lobe. i think your just confused cause the manual calls the 2 non VTEC lobes primary and secondary. its just terminology. one intake valve rides on the primary and one on the secondary all the time , when VTEC engages , they both switch to the middle lobe. all VTEC is 2 stages , engaged or not engaged . and as far as whoever thinks you can get a crower cam for ANY D17 , you show me where cause as far as i know they dont exist. and no , no other engine has a compatible cam for the D17.

blackDseries is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-05-2006, 04:19 AM   #17 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 14 blackDseries is almost a somebodyblackDseries is almost a somebodyblackDseries is almost a somebodyblackDseries is almost a somebody

theres no such thing as 3 stage VTEC. i dont know where you got this from but its not so. your intakes are either running off the primary and secondary lobes,(normal operating lobes for intake valves) , or the VTEC lobe. i think your just confused cause the manual calls the 2 non VTEC lobes primary and secondary. its just terminology. one intake valve rides on the primary and one on the secondary all the time , when VTEC engages , they both switch to the middle lobe. all VTEC is 2 stages , engaged or not engaged . and as far as whoever thinks you can get a crower cam for ANY D17 , you show me where cause as far as i know they dont exist. and no , no other engine has a compatible cam for the D17. if you could get your hands on a D16W8 , would be a worthwhile swap in a 7th gen. im pretty sure a D16Y8 cam will fit in a D16W8. would open up the aftermarket world for ya anyways.

Old 07-05-2006, 07:51 PM   #18 (permalink)

WOW!!! i'm sorry to correct you blackDseries, but there is indeed a 3 stage vtec, and also the 7th gen civic didn't come with anything but a d17 with a non-vtec head or one with a vtec-e head, and thats it...nothing else...

to be honest, there are several flavors of vtec...you may want to go and do some research about vtec...the different flavors i know of are the following:
i-vtec
vtec
3 stage vtec
vtec-e

there could be more but i'm not 100% sure if there are others...but i do know of these four...

Quote:

^ little truth ^

R.I.P. Milo
R.I.P. PatPrimmer
Old 07-05-2006, 10:06 PM   #19 (permalink)
D-series soldier

I VTEC is same technology with hydrolic cam phasing. in a way you could call it 3 stage VTEC but not mechanically its not. besides I VTEC , theres no 3 stage VTEC. show me a link of a cam profile for a 3 stage VTEC engine please cause i gotta see. VTEC is on or off thats it. engaged or not engaged. i mentioned before , if your looking at a picture of a cam profile , and its terminology for the lobes on the cam go primary , secondary , middle for the intake lobes , thats not 3 stages. its just calling one intake lobe primary , and the other secondary and i have no idea why they do that. cause in essence both the primary and secondary intakes are primarys , and the middle or VTEC lobe is the secondary or bigger profile for high revs. for those of you not all that mechanically inclined yet , its like this , before variable valve timing , you couldnt get the best of both worlds , high revving profile and a profile that would allow the car to idle and drive half decent under normal conditions , plus throw in fuel consumtion , so on. thats why you hear an old muscle car with a cam i it idling , it sounds like it hardly stays running. all they had was vacuum advanced timing. meaning when the engine started to rev higher under load , the distributor under a vacuum driving it , would change the ignition timing by centrefugal action. as the centerfuge inside opened it changed when the rotor contact passed under the cap contact. anyways rambling now.

Old 07-06-2006, 06:06 PM   #20 (permalink)

here is the link describing 3 stage vtec...
http://asia.vtec.net/spfeature/vtecimpl/vtec1.html
the vtec works in 3 stages, first being the single valve working, and the second being both working on the primary lobe, and then the 3rd stage being actual vtec where it switches to the secondary more wild cam lobe...that is the 3 stage vtec...

Quote:

^ little truth ^

R.I.P. Milo
R.I.P. PatPrimmer
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in