7th gen problems and solutions - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org Motor Mayhem & Suspension Satisfaction 7th Gen

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-10-2006, 05:35 AM   #1 (permalink)
All powerful D-series member

custom_junky is a Top Aussiecustom_junky is a Top Aussiecustom_junky is a Top Aussiecustom_junky is a Top Aussiecustom_junky is a Top Aussiecustom_junky is a Top Aussiecustom_junky is a Top Aussiecustom_junky is a Top Aussiecustom_junky is a Top Aussiecustom_junky is a Top Aussiecustom_junky is a Top Aussie
iTrader Score: 4 reviews
Default 7th gen problems and solutions

this thread is to be devoted to any problems with the d17 and any solutions for those issues...

the d17 has several weak points...
1. the intake is very combersome and restrictive...this can be swapped out for a y8 mani, but takes quit a bit of work...on the up side you'll get a fuel return system out of it...
2. the lack of a return fuel system...of course this can be solved by reading #1...or you can buy a return fuel system kit from an aftermarket place, this has been noted and rectified by aftermarket vendors...
3. the throttle body...it faces straight up instead of off to the side like the y8 does...this causes restriction on hte intake pipes forcing a tight turn right before going into the intake runners...again this can be changed with step #1...
4. the vtec-e system, if you have the a2 head, is restrictive of incoming air...however, as with everything, there is an aftermarket fix for this...crower does make some stage 1-3 cams for N/A applications, and i believe they make a stage 2 turbo cam for fi applications...
5. the water pump isn't all that great, i would recommend changing it every 75,000 miles or so to keep from over heating...this issue has been identified by other 7th gen users, but is not a wide spread issue...but it is always better to be safe than sorry...
6. in order to get good response from any bolt on, you need to get a minimum of the y8 mani and larger throttle body...this will give you the better air flow and return fuel system...of course doing this will require some tuning and whatnot...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
There's two things in life you never want people to know about you...
1. You know how to work on cars.
2. You know how to work on computers.

You my friend are cursed with this info being out in the open.
^ little truth ^

R.I.P. Milo
R.I.P. PatPrimmer

Last edited by custom_junky; 05-10-2006 at 05:37 AM.
custom_junky is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-10-2006, 05:38 AM   #2 (permalink)

custom_junky is a Top Aussiecustom_junky is a Top Aussiecustom_junky is a Top Aussiecustom_junky is a Top Aussiecustom_junky is a Top Aussiecustom_junky is a Top Aussiecustom_junky is a Top Aussiecustom_junky is a Top Aussiecustom_junky is a Top Aussiecustom_junky is a Top Aussiecustom_junky is a Top Aussie

can a mod please make this a sticky for this section for others to see and add to...thank you...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:

^ little truth ^

R.I.P. Milo
R.I.P. PatPrimmer
Old 05-10-2006, 11:40 AM   #3 (permalink)
wise in the ways of the B

Rep Power: 15 CIVICRicerBoy is approaching greatnessCIVICRicerBoy is approaching greatnessCIVICRicerBoy is approaching greatnessCIVICRicerBoy is approaching greatnessCIVICRicerBoy is approaching greatnessCIVICRicerBoy is approaching greatnessCIVICRicerBoy is approaching greatnessCIVICRicerBoy is approaching greatnessCIVICRicerBoy is approaching greatnessCIVICRicerBoy is approaching greatnessCIVICRicerBoy is approaching greatnessCIVICRicerBoy is approaching greatness
Send a message via AIM to CIVICRicerBoy

Very nice post. A lot good information. I didn't know the y8 mani would fit. Good to know. PR4U
Vouches: K2e2vin, superdewey58, csaddict, Low EG-T, singlecizam
CIVICRicerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2006, 12:34 PM   #4 (permalink)

Rep Power: 0 Tobias is a name known to allTobias is a name known to allTobias is a name known to allTobias is a name known to allTobias is a name known to allTobias is a name known to allTobias is a name known to allTobias is a name known to allTobias is a name known to all
iTrader Score: 1 reviews

How bout swapping out the exhaust mani. for some headers. This manifold has to be the most pathetic piece of cast iron I've seen! The ports on it are no larger than the diameter of a nickel. Installing a header on my LX eliminated the cat since the mani and cat were a one piece. Either buy a O2 sim. or use the spark plug defouler trick for your secondary O2 port.
Tobias is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-10-2006, 12:37 PM   #5 (permalink)

Rep Power: 0 Tobias is a name known to allTobias is a name known to allTobias is a name known to allTobias is a name known to allTobias is a name known to allTobias is a name known to allTobias is a name known to allTobias is a name known to allTobias is a name known to all
iTrader Score: 1 reviews

http://forums.clubrsx.com/showthread.php?t=296791
For those who don't know.
Tobias is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-11-2006, 04:32 AM   #6 (permalink)

in order to swap out the mani+cat for a true header and what not...you'll have to extend the length of the o2 sensor wires...it more or less changing from a lx exhuast to an ex exhaust...its been done before and on the 7th gen and earlier models...

Quote:

^ little truth ^

R.I.P. Milo
R.I.P. PatPrimmer
Old 05-11-2006, 04:33 AM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CIVICRicerBoy
Very nice post. A lot good information. I didn't know the y8 mani would fit. Good to know. PR4U
thank you

Quote:

^ little truth ^

R.I.P. Milo
R.I.P. PatPrimmer
Old 05-11-2006, 07:41 AM   #8 (permalink)
D-Series cadet

iTrader Score: 0 reviews

>>The RSX-S injectors fit on it. Those are larger so you need larger bolts to hold the fuel rail. A VAFC-II to tune it. With the Y8 manifold, you need bigger O-rings to install the stock injectors or the type-s injectors.

>>What about the PMS pistons (01-03 civic GX)? Anybody had them installed?

>>The throttle heater by-pass. Just disconnect both of the hose and connect the longer hose (out from the water passage) on the "rear pipe".

>>With the header on the LX, some headers have two bungs for it. If not just cut the wires, use "extensions" and weld them. Be sure you weld the correct wires. Go to a muffler shop to install it or make an EX swap.

>>Any flywheel and clutch kit for D16 the 92-05 civic fit on it.

>>If you are thinking on remove the Power Steering, don't do that. Really you can't turn the wheels. I had a damaged power steering belt and at low rpm was very hard to turn the wheels.

>>Go with 2.25" exhaust system. Somebody says 2".

Last edited by gmcuajo; 05-11-2006 at 07:49 AM.
gmcuajo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-11-2006, 08:57 AM   #9 (permalink)

thanks for the added points...

Quote:

^ little truth ^

R.I.P. Milo
R.I.P. PatPrimmer
Old 05-15-2006, 01:46 PM   #10 (permalink)
D-series lover

Rep Power: 14 Angry is learning the way of the DAngry is learning the way of the D
iTrader Score: 3 reviews

http://www.a-oktw.com.tw/CD/AOK%20NE.../HONDA/D17.JPG

Im guessing you cant swap on a d16 head?
Angry is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-16-2006, 06:08 AM   #11 (permalink)

that is a negative my friend...the d17 is otherwise known as the bastard child of the d-series...

Quote:

^ little truth ^

R.I.P. Milo
R.I.P. PatPrimmer
Old 06-01-2006, 05:45 AM   #12 (permalink)

here is a good link for the y8 mani swap (special curtousy of snoopy006)
http://www.7thgencivic.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=178831

Quote:

^ little truth ^

R.I.P. Milo
R.I.P. PatPrimmer
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in