d17-d16v1 similarities - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org Motor Mayhem & Suspension Satisfaction 7th Gen

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-07-2006, 08:38 AM   #1 (permalink)
n00b

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Default d17-d16v1 similarities

Hi all.I'm an owner of an ep2 civic,equipped with the d16v1 engine.It's 1,6lt
sohc-vtec II(OBD2).As Ifound out it shares many parts with the D17 series engine.Same bolt pattern on intake and exhaust manifolds,can use the same aftermarket rods,cam and exhaust header.As I read on other topics the d17 has the VTEC-E system on,so I suppose that mine's also the same(btw the vtec point is at about 4300rpm,but it can also engage lower.It has to do with the throttle position).So,my questions are:
1.Are there any ECU management systems available on the market?Not talking about piggyback.
2.I think it has the d17 head.Is this head worthy on working on it(port&polish valve job)or should I swap heads with an older d?
xrem is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-07-2006, 08:47 AM   #2 (permalink)
D-series lover

iTrader Score: 2 reviews
Send a message via MSN to vxcoastie

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrem
Hi all.I'm an owner of an ep2 civic,equipped with the d16v1 engine.It's 1,6lt
sohc-vtec II(OBD2).As Ifound out it shares many parts with the D17 series engine.Same bolt pattern on intake and exhaust manifolds,can use the same aftermarket rods,cam and exhaust header.As I read on other topics the d17 has the VTEC-E system on,so I suppose that mine's also the same(btw the vtec point is at about 4300rpm,but it can also engage lower.It has to do with the throttle position).So,my questions are:
1.Are there any ECU management systems available on the market?Not talking about piggyback.
2.I think it has the d17 head.Is this head worthy on working on it(port&polish valve job)or should I swap heads with an older d?
Not sure if you have seen this yet but some info about it.
http://www.civic-ep2.co.uk/d16v1.htm

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

D-series for life!!
vxcoastie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-07-2006, 09:20 AM   #3 (permalink)
n00b

already seen it.Site and forum have little info,most of what they find in d-series and other honda related sites

Old 04-07-2006, 09:45 AM   #4 (permalink)
All powerful D-series member

custom_junky is a Top Aussiecustom_junky is a Top Aussiecustom_junky is a Top Aussiecustom_junky is a Top Aussiecustom_junky is a Top Aussiecustom_junky is a Top Aussiecustom_junky is a Top Aussiecustom_junky is a Top Aussiecustom_junky is a Top Aussiecustom_junky is a Top Aussiecustom_junky is a Top Aussie
iTrader Score: 4 reviews

engine management...go with the AEM EMS, if you can afford it...damn good system and a complete ECU replacement, with laptop interface...

the d17 head is not all that bad really...the big problem is going to come in with the intake manifold...the mani is a big plastic piece of crap...but as for the head, i've takin one apart before, in fact i have one in pieces setting on my sound board case in my living room...kinda comical actually, considereing it has been sitting there for 3-4 months now...i have to put it all together and sell the damn thing...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
There's two things in life you never want people to know about you...
1. You know how to work on cars.
2. You know how to work on computers.

You my friend are cursed with this info being out in the open.
^ little truth ^

R.I.P. Milo
R.I.P. PatPrimmer
custom_junky is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-07-2006, 09:46 AM   #5 (permalink)

custom_junky is a Top Aussiecustom_junky is a Top Aussiecustom_junky is a Top Aussiecustom_junky is a Top Aussiecustom_junky is a Top Aussiecustom_junky is a Top Aussiecustom_junky is a Top Aussiecustom_junky is a Top Aussiecustom_junky is a Top Aussiecustom_junky is a Top Aussiecustom_junky is a Top Aussie

also you will not be able to swap heads if you do indeed use the d17a2 head...the bolt patterns and head gaskets are too different...

Quote:

^ little truth ^

R.I.P. Milo
R.I.P. PatPrimmer
Old 04-08-2006, 02:31 AM   #6 (permalink)
n00b

yeah,I know the EMS system.When using it,the stock ECU only works for the A/C.Everything else is done by the EMS.I'd hit it,but it's damn expensive.Does anybody know if the D17 and the D16v1 use the same ECU?
I wanna install a supercharger but I cannot find any kits available.:cussing:
Old 04-09-2006, 07:50 PM   #7 (permalink)

super chargers are not made for the d17...now if you would like to put in the work for it, you can use the jrsc for the d16y8 after you do the intake manifold swap...the a2 head has the ability to use the y8 intake mani, but it cost a bit of money and takes alot of work, but the gains are minimal...however if you do the swap the engine will get the return fuel system and have the ability to attach the y8 intake mani (and the jrsc should fit, but it a theory)...

Quote:

^ little truth ^

R.I.P. Milo
R.I.P. PatPrimmer
Old 04-17-2006, 04:54 AM   #8 (permalink)
n00b

so the only restriction is the intake mani?Suppose that a custom one works then.What about the connection to the crankshaft?The gears are the same?
Will the pulley fit?
Old 04-22-2006, 01:28 AM   #9 (permalink)
n00b

c'mon guys!I need some help
Old 04-28-2006, 11:28 AM   #10 (permalink)
D-Series cadet

The Y8 manifold fit very well. Just enlarge a little two of the bolt wholes and it fit. The EGR passage (in the D17 head) is where the Y8 manifold have a water passage.

I have both in front of me now (D17A2 head and y8 manifold).

I use a dremel to enlarge the wholes. Very easy, a little kid can do it. I try the RSX-S injectors on the y8 manifold and notice that bigger o-rings are needed. You can use your stock fuel system, just chack if the bolts that holds the fuel rail can be used or you need larger or shorter ones.

If you have problems with the supercharger, use the type of supercharger that is like a turbo (I think is a VORTEX). I really think a turbo set-up is a lot better.
gmcuajo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-06-2006, 05:03 PM   #11 (permalink)
maxquebec

do you some pices of you're modification for the manifold
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-07-2006, 01:58 PM   #12 (permalink)
n00b

I'll go for a custom intake maniI found a shop down here.I'll use rc injectors I think they fit.As for the supercharger,I'll go for the roots type.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in