vtec engagement - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org Motor Mayhem & Suspension Satisfaction 7th Gen

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-04-2006, 07:22 AM   #1 (permalink)
tobe1424

Default vtec engagement

wats up...quick noobie question for my friend which i wasnt sure about cuz i dont even have a 7th gen [email protected] what rpm does vtec kick in a 02 ex civic
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-04-2006, 08:27 AM   #2 (permalink)
D-series lover

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via AIM to redex04

about 4200 RPM

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
04 Civic EX coupe
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

^civicsi94 thanks for hooking it up
redex04 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-04-2006, 09:53 AM   #3 (permalink)
All powerful D-series member

custom_junky is a Top Aussiecustom_junky is a Top Aussiecustom_junky is a Top Aussiecustom_junky is a Top Aussiecustom_junky is a Top Aussiecustom_junky is a Top Aussiecustom_junky is a Top Aussiecustom_junky is a Top Aussiecustom_junky is a Top Aussiecustom_junky is a Top Aussiecustom_junky is a Top Aussie
iTrader Score: 4 reviews

^^its earlier than that...it is somewhere within the 2500-3500 RPM range, it all depends on how much throttle you are using...remember that the ex vtec is really vtec-e...

Quote:
There's two things in life you never want people to know about you...
1. You know how to work on cars.
2. You know how to work on computers.

You my friend are cursed with this info being out in the open.
^ little truth ^

R.I.P. Milo
R.I.P. PatPrimmer
custom_junky is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2006, 12:11 PM   #4 (permalink)
tobe1424

isnt the only vtec e the hx.....and damn thats pretty early for vtec to kick in
Old 04-04-2006, 04:36 PM   #5 (permalink)

Rep Power: 0 Tobias is a name known to allTobias is a name known to allTobias is a name known to allTobias is a name known to allTobias is a name known to allTobias is a name known to allTobias is a name known to allTobias is a name known to allTobias is a name known to all
iTrader Score: 1 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by tobe1424
isnt the only vtec e the hx.....and damn thats pretty early for vtec to kick in
Nope. All 7th gen that have vtec are vtec-e. Even the EP3 (Si). Pretty shitty!
Tobias is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-04-2006, 05:40 PM   #6 (permalink)

I heard that the ep3 only has vtec on the intake side or something but the rsx-s has it on both. That sounds stupid but is it true?
Phantom Civic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-04-2006, 07:14 PM   #7 (permalink)

Rep Power: 0 Tobias is a name known to allTobias is a name known to allTobias is a name known to allTobias is a name known to allTobias is a name known to allTobias is a name known to allTobias is a name known to allTobias is a name known to allTobias is a name known to all

Here...check this link out. It helped me!http://www.superhonda.com/forum/prin...d.php?t=124797
Old 04-05-2006, 06:51 AM   #8 (permalink)

That was good stuff but man that sucks for the si
Phantom Civic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-05-2006, 07:09 AM   #9 (permalink)
tobe1424

Thumbs up

yup pretty good info...learn sumthing new everyday....is that info from hondata btw
Old 05-02-2006, 11:19 AM   #10 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 14 jamisgood is learning the way of the Djamisgood is learning the way of the D
Send a message via AIM to jamisgood

that was very interesting to read. i learned much about the VTEC system i didnt know
jamisgood is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-02-2006, 03:18 PM   #11 (permalink)

yea a whole lotta stuff about the new vtec systems that i didnt know
9Mini-Me1Hatch is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-02-2006, 03:21 PM   #12 (permalink)
mmmmm sexy bay

Rep Power: 50 jimmyb34 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !jimmyb34 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !jimmyb34 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !jimmyb34 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
jimmyb34 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !jimmyb34 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !jimmyb34 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !jimmyb34 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !jimmyb34 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !jimmyb34 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !jimmyb34 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !jimmyb34 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !jimmyb34 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !jimmyb34 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !jimmyb34 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !jimmyb34 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 29 reviews
Send a message via AIM to jimmyb34

the si doesnt have "vtec-e" so to say, it just doesnt have it on intake and exhaust... but it still is gay lol

jimmyb34 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-09-2006, 08:11 PM   #13 (permalink)

Vtec-e makes your new EX engine idle with one intake valve i believe...then when the VTEC kicks in **oh boy** it opens both and you are operating at normal capacity instead of super econo mode.
Skcivic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-13-2006, 06:26 PM   #14 (permalink)
D-Series cadet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skcivic
Vtec-e makes your new EX engine idle with one intake valve i believe...then when the VTEC kicks in **oh boy** it opens both and you are operating at normal capacity instead of super econo mode.
everything is true. it have only two cam lobes for the intake valves. the low cam lift is practically none.
gmcuajo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-13-2006, 06:28 PM   #15 (permalink)
D-Series cadet

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmyb34
the si doesnt have "vtec-e" so to say, it just doesnt have it on intake and exhaust... but it still is gay lol
I think the ep3 is vtec-e. it just have two lobes on the intake cam...
gmcuajo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-13-2006, 10:51 PM   #16 (permalink)

The si is vtec-e. If it wasn't it would operate the same as the k20a2.
Old 05-13-2006, 11:01 PM   #17 (permalink)
mmmmm sexy bay

Rep Power: 50 jimmyb34 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !jimmyb34 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !jimmyb34 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !jimmyb34 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
jimmyb34 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !jimmyb34 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !jimmyb34 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !jimmyb34 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !jimmyb34 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !jimmyb34 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !jimmyb34 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !jimmyb34 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !jimmyb34 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !jimmyb34 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !jimmyb34 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !jimmyb34 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 29 reviews
Send a message via AIM to jimmyb34

it isnt vtec e, it only has 1 cam with vtec... that doesnt mkake it vtec e or every sohc motor would be vtec e
imo its gaytec... they are retarded for even coming out with that motor, they wonder why they didnt sell any ep3's fucking morons

jimmyb34 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-13-2006, 11:06 PM   #18 (permalink)

In a sense it is vtec-e. When the vtec enagae's it then operates an all 16 valves. Before vtec, the lobes cause it to operate with slight valve lift which in a sense gives you better gas milage. Not dubbed vtec-e but should be.
Old 05-13-2006, 11:10 PM   #19 (permalink)

This system does not really conform to the "DOHC i-VTEC" nomenclature, as Honda would like us to believe. As I mentioned in my previous post, it actually should be called "i-VTEC-E," because it uses a VTEC-E mechanism rather than a standard VTEC mechanism. At low RPM, the VTEC-E system effectively forces the engine to operate as a 12-valve engine - one of the intake valves does not open fully, thus decreasing fuel consumption. At 2200RPM, the VTEC-E system engages the 2nd intake valve, effectively resuming operation as a normal 16-valve engine. There are no high-RPM performance cam profiles; this engine is tuned to balance fuel economy and power, rather than provide pure performance. On the intake cam, there is the VTC mechanism which basically is an automatic self-adjusting cam gear used to continuously optimize the valve overlap for all RPM ranges. This being a VTEC-E system - and not a true DOHC VTEC system - is the reason the K20A3 redlines at a measly 6800RPM, while the K20A2 is able to rev all the way to 7900RPM.
Quote from previous post.
Old 07-04-2006, 06:54 PM   #20 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 14 blackDseries is almost a somebodyblackDseries is almost a somebodyblackDseries is almost a somebodyblackDseries is almost a somebody

let me try. not every sohc vtec engine is vtec e. heres why. a sohc vtec II engine has 5 lobes on the cam for each cyl. . one for each exhaust , one for each intake , and the middle lobe is VTEC lobe which both intakes ride on when they lock on the center rocker. for your vtec e engie , theres only 4 lobes on the cam for each cyl.. 2 exhaust(one for each valve) , and one intake valve rides on the VTEC lobe all the time , and the other rides on an almost round profile lobe. when vtec kicks in(like was said before any time throttle is full after 2500 rpms) , the rocker riding on the little lobe locks on the rocker that rides on the VTEC lobe all the time. and for whoever said no VTEC on the exhaust side , thats exactly right. no SOHC engines have VTEC on thier exhaust valves. cause of the spark plug tube design which takes up the room needed . all DOHC engines have VTEC on intake and exhaust sides of course.
and i must say im dissapointed when buying one myself and learning this that they in a way misinform the public in advertising this. cause in my opinion its not vtec at all its vtec technology used for pussyfooting. they advertise it as a sports car and it just aint so. only looks like one.
and to tobias , about saying all 7th gen are vtec e , your wrong bud. D16W8 is VTEC II engine(same as Y.

Last edited by blackDseries; 07-04-2006 at 06:58 PM.
blackDseries is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in