What's next for my d17a2 - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org Motor Mayhem & Suspension Satisfaction 7th Gen

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-18-2005, 01:00 PM   #1 (permalink)

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Default What's next for my d17a6

i have a 2002 civic hx with a cold air intake
what should my next step in hp gain be?
- i'm low on money so list mods in order of cost please and could you give me a cost estimate.
thanks

Last edited by Spitfire32888; 11-28-2005 at 09:26 AM.
Spitfire32888 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-19-2005, 01:09 PM   #2 (permalink)

Rep Power: 0 Tobias is a name known to allTobias is a name known to allTobias is a name known to allTobias is a name known to allTobias is a name known to allTobias is a name known to allTobias is a name known to allTobias is a name known to allTobias is a name known to all
iTrader Score: 1 reviews

Well u can add some n/a stuff like headers, catback exhaust etc. Headers on ebay, depending on what brand, can be cheap or expensive. I bought some ebay headers for about $110. They were obx I believe.
Tobias is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-19-2005, 02:41 PM   #3 (permalink)
wise in the ways of the D

Rep Power: 15 i love honda will become famous soon enoughi love honda will become famous soon enoughi love honda will become famous soon enough
iTrader Score: 8 reviews

Get a nice header, a cheap ebay brand is going to rust and probably crack fast. Not saying don't get anything off of ebay. Im saying make sure it's name brand...like Megan Racing makes a good header. Check and see if they make one for your car. You can go to a muffler shop and tell them you want a 2.25" or a 2.5" exhaust made. Order a muffler before you go though and take it with you to have welded on. I recommend the Megan Racing muffler. It's sounds awesome. After you have the intake, header, exhaust, then you can start saving up for a cam, and then tuning. The header should cost anywhere from around $125-300 and the exhaust could be as cheap as $90 bucks (that's how much mine cost), and the Megan Racing N1 muffler off eBay is $79 shipped. If you have anymore questions, just PM me.
-APEXi IHI ball bearing turbo kit
-ARP head studs
-10lbs daily
-Tuned on Crome Pro

220whp and 182wtq!
i love honda is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2005, 12:14 PM   #4 (permalink)
All powerful D-series member

custom_junky is a Top Aussiecustom_junky is a Top Aussiecustom_junky is a Top Aussiecustom_junky is a Top Aussiecustom_junky is a Top Aussiecustom_junky is a Top Aussiecustom_junky is a Top Aussiecustom_junky is a Top Aussiecustom_junky is a Top Aussiecustom_junky is a Top Aussiecustom_junky is a Top Aussie
iTrader Score: 4 reviews

another option would be to get a different head all together. the hx has the vtec-e in it, so not all that great for gains in performance...might want to look into either the a1 head, which is a striaght up head, no vtec, or the a2, which is on the ex model civic, granted it is also a vtec-e head, however crower has made a stage 2 cam for it...either way is up to you...
another thing is to get an ex tranny(manual), the hx tranny won't hold as much power as the manual, and with the shorter gear in it it will get up and gogo a little quicker...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
There's two things in life you never want people to know about you...
1. You know how to work on cars.
2. You know how to work on computers.

You my friend are cursed with this info being out in the open.
^ little truth ^

R.I.P. Milo
R.I.P. PatPrimmer
custom_junky is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-23-2005, 03:31 PM   #5 (permalink)

Rep Power: 0 Tobias is a name known to allTobias is a name known to allTobias is a name known to allTobias is a name known to allTobias is a name known to allTobias is a name known to allTobias is a name known to allTobias is a name known to allTobias is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by custom_junky
another option would be to get a different head all together. the hx has the vtec-e in it, so not all that great for gains in performance...might want to look into either the a1 head, which is a striaght up head, no vtec, or the a2, which is on the ex model civic, granted it is also a vtec-e head, however crower has made a stage 2 cam for it...either way is up to you...
another thing is to get an ex tranny(manual), the hx tranny won't hold as much power as the manual, and with the shorter gear in it it will get up and gogo a little quicker...
What type of head is in the HX? I thought it was the A2. Anyways best bet would be the A2 even though it is Vtec-E it still puts a little bit more power down than the non. Replacing those internals w/ a PnP is not a bad idea. But as Spitfire said he's low on the dough.
Old 11-26-2005, 05:44 PM   #6 (permalink)
there is a party in my pants and Lindsay Lohan is on the guest list

Rep Power: 16 stmotorsports will become famous soon enoughstmotorsports will become famous soon enoughstmotorsports will become famous soon enough
iTrader Score: 2 reviews

HX = D17A6, vtec-e w/lean burn operation 117hp
EX = D17A2, vtec-e no lean burn mode 127hp

for the ~10hp, I wouldn't bother going thru with an entire head swap unless you're planning on milling, p/p, performance cam and/or valves/valvejob/etc...

unfortunately simple cheap mods that actually do anything are kinda few & far between, you can gut your cat but make sure you put a section of pipe inside to keep the pipe diameter uniform, otherwise you'll create a flow stagnation point which will usually hurt if anything. Try running higher octane and bump your base timing, see if that makes any difference. I know it sounds stupid but you can run a resistor in your iat sensor which will fool the ecu into thinking it's seeing colder air which will advance the timing curve more aggressively- this is the "adds big +hp !!! mod" kits that you see all over ebay. Other than that, you're either buying or fabricating parts- header/exhaust/cams/timing gears/forced induction/etc or getting involved in engine internals

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by stmotorsports; 11-26-2005 at 05:49 PM.
stmotorsports is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-28-2005, 05:32 AM   #7 (permalink)

custom_junky is a Top Aussiecustom_junky is a Top Aussiecustom_junky is a Top Aussiecustom_junky is a Top Aussiecustom_junky is a Top Aussiecustom_junky is a Top Aussiecustom_junky is a Top Aussiecustom_junky is a Top Aussiecustom_junky is a Top Aussiecustom_junky is a Top Aussiecustom_junky is a Top Aussie

^^correct...

Quote:

^ little truth ^

R.I.P. Milo
R.I.P. PatPrimmer
Old 11-28-2005, 08:52 PM   #8 (permalink)

Check this thread 4 resistors and cheap ebay chips! https://www.d-series.org/forums/showthread.php?t=21957

Last edited by Tobias; 11-28-2005 at 08:57 PM.
Old 11-29-2005, 05:40 AM   #9 (permalink)

opps...missed the whole adding a resitor thing...like i said in the thread tobias pointed to, don't use resistors...

Quote:

^ little truth ^

R.I.P. Milo
R.I.P. PatPrimmer
Old 12-01-2005, 01:22 PM   #10 (permalink)

iTrader Score: 0 reviews

if you want speed from the d17 either go boost or nitrous. Nothing else is worth the money. I did dpray before for a year now im boost.
Hyaboosta is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in