Finally bought a 7th gen - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org Motor Mayhem & Suspension Satisfaction 7th Gen

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-10-2019, 05:57 PM   #1 (permalink)
D-series G0D

Rep Power: 32 mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 10 reviews
Default Finally bought a 7th gen

2001 LX 2dr, white with tan interior, manual, AC, power locks/windows

Some bumper damage, else super clean.

Not much in works immediately, just fixing some little gremlins.

Plans are to keep it simple.... well sort of. Car is 100% stock right now.

--Engine--
-D16Y8 intake manifold the proper no-bullshit method (*below)
-1320 performance long tube header
-Possibly K-tuned camgear and K-Pro. Not sure, might simply go AEM series II for the simplicity. At end of the day, prices are nearly identical for both setups, with the AEM allowing FAR more future growth.
-Possibly a swap/mild refresh with 90's civic VTI pistons. Small bump in compression, bore to 75.5 for a little extra flavor.
-Mild exhaust side head porting. Will need it for sure if I do the longtube race header. The D17 head needs a little magic to make it a little better

--Transmission--
-Track down a good condition EX transmission, possibly do a final drive swap with a euro market piece for both slightly better ratio, and LSD.
-typical lightweight flywheel and decent clutch. Something overall favoring weight versus shear power support, this D17 will never see boost.

--Chassis--
-Various braces. Car does feel a little sloppy under suspension loading. Might make my own stuff here, I have access to a co-worker with good welding skills, and plenty of metal bits and pieces
-swaybars front and rear, probably just see what I can come up with from RSX parts.
-coilovers to some degree. A set of Teins would feel pretty good in this chassis
-spherical bearings/bushings wherever I can find them. Including Ktuned Spherical inner/outer tierods

--Brakes--
-dunno. Would like to save some weight here while also converting to disc rear. Car needs brakes, but I have not decided if 5lug swap is needed or not, though wheel choice skyrockets in variety.

* - the no bullshit d16 intake method is actually rather simple. Cut the flange off the d16 intake, plug injector bosses, weld to d17 EGR flange, BOOM, allows full mounting of d17 fuel rail with no issues. Still requires modifications for TB placement, MAP sensor, and possibly something for stronger crankcase ventilation.

Thoughts?

Not K swapping. Turbo might be in FAR FAR future after the car gets 300k+ miles on it. Currently at 199k, and as a daily driver, will get ZERO parts that COULD severely impact daily reliability.

Lets bring back the projects!!!

2003 Hyundai Sonata GLS 2.7 Delta 197k
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1998 Cadillac Seville SLS just broke 100k
2001 civic LX coupe MTX 199k
Sometimes, the difficult path is the easiest path
D/B/F/H/K compression questions?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Build what you have!

mattliston is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-10-2019, 07:27 PM   #2 (permalink)
D-Series cadet

EFB055 It's a JDM Star Bitches....EFB055 It's a JDM Star Bitches....
iTrader Score: 0 reviews

What do you like about the 7th gen? I've driven a couple and always felt they were unloved for a reason.

EFB055 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-11-2019, 06:30 AM   #3 (permalink)
Tape-R taper/driver

Rep Power: 17 LowFlyin' is the fucking MAN!!!!LowFlyin' is the fucking MAN!!!!LowFlyin' is the fucking MAN!!!!
LowFlyin' is the fucking MAN!!!!LowFlyin' is the fucking MAN!!!!LowFlyin' is the fucking MAN!!!!LowFlyin' is the fucking MAN!!!!LowFlyin' is the fucking MAN!!!!LowFlyin' is the fucking MAN!!!!LowFlyin' is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 3 reviews

The 7th gen was Honda's middle finger to the tuner community. They intentionally took the soul out of the car to appeal to an older, aged market.
'91 Civic Tape-R
'91 Civic Wagon RT4WD
'03 Astro AWD
LowFlyin' is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2019, 01:04 PM   #4 (permalink)
D-series G0D

Rep Power: 32 mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !

I like how this one drives. The interior is comfortable, simple, and I can use everything without any hassle.

the nonvtec d17 is pretty peppy, even with the long gearing.

Car doesnt suffer too badly from shitty roads.

I happen to like the 7th gens when it is 2dr and white or light colors.

The front end is a little ugly.

I dont think this car was a middle finger to tuners. I think honda needed to push this car out to figure out the formula they used for the 8th gens 06-11 cars, which were much better in most ways.

Build what you have!

Old 03-11-2019, 01:35 PM   #5 (permalink)
D-Series cadet

Quote:
Originally Posted by LowFlyin' View Post
The 7th gen was Honda's middle finger to the tuner community. They intentionally took the soul out of the car to appeal to an older, aged market.
Yeah i agree they feel soulless.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattliston View Post
I like how this one drives. The interior is comfortable, simple, and I can use everything without any hassle.

the nonvtec d17 is pretty peppy, even with the long gearing.

Car doesnt suffer too badly from shitty roads.
Also agree that they're much comfier than anything that came before it. I also think they look pretty classy in certain colours and trims.

On a side note, everyone i knew who had one of these always had bad oil leak issues. Not sure if it was a common fault or just unlucky. But at least 4 different people had major issues keeping the oil inside the motor on pretty low km examples.

Old 03-11-2019, 01:56 PM   #6 (permalink)
B-series Destroyer

Rep Power: 22 rico58204 is the fucking MAN!!!!rico58204 is the fucking MAN!!!!rico58204 is the fucking MAN!!!!
rico58204 is the fucking MAN!!!!rico58204 is the fucking MAN!!!!rico58204 is the fucking MAN!!!!rico58204 is the fucking MAN!!!!rico58204 is the fucking MAN!!!!rico58204 is the fucking MAN!!!!rico58204 is the fucking MAN!!!!rico58204 is the fucking MAN!!!!rico58204 is the fucking MAN!!!!rico58204 is the fucking MAN!!!!rico58204 is the fucking MAN!!!!rico58204 is the fucking MAN!!!!rico58204 is the fucking MAN!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by EFB055 View Post
Yeah i agree they feel soulless.

Also agree that they're much comfier than anything that came before it. I also think they look pretty classy in certain colours and trims.

On a side note, everyone i knew who had one of these always had bad oil leak issues. Not sure if it was a common fault or just unlucky. But at least 4 different people had major issues keeping the oil inside the motor on pretty low km examples.
Your right, these things always leak from the cam cap(where the distributor used to be.
You link all the grounds, then wire each solenoid into the spark plug wires, that way they hit sequentially as the engine fires. This creates what I like to call asphalt shattering VTEC.
rico58204 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-11-2019, 03:15 PM   #7 (permalink)
D-series G0D

This one has zero oil leaks or burning. Surprisingly clean block and tranny also.
The oil leak issues are common because of their sensitivity from long oil intervals, rather than bad design.

Old oil gets acidic. Sitting for the winter, for example, can sometimes be enough to eat seals.

That said, it is getting a full reseal if I go ahead with the VTI pistons for a refresh. Should bump it up half a point of compression or so, prior to any head slicing.

Im going to put 5-10k miles on it first before any sort of mods begin. I want to get a nice solid review of the car before deciding what areas of it need attention first.

In stock form I can tell it will be a decent daily driver. Plenty of passing torque for what it is.

I really need to address the back bumper and rear struts first though. Kinda on the fence with coilovers off the bat right away, so I may just throw a set of cheap ebay sourced quick struts first.

Build what you have!

Old 03-12-2019, 01:39 PM   #8 (permalink)
D-Series cadet

Pics plz

Old 03-12-2019, 03:02 PM   #9 (permalink)
D-series G0D

Here are 3 of the pictures from the guy who sold to me. DSO wont upload any others.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20190120_142836.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	932.9 KB
ID:	125691

Name:	20190305_160910.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	507.5 KB
ID:	125693

Name:	20190305_161151.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	748.0 KB
ID:	125695

That bumper is the only real cosmetic issue.

I need to order the rear bumper, a hood latch, and an engine oil dipstick before I drive it much.

Im far too lazy to take pictures right now lol. Maybe this weekend after I have a chance to really clean it up and see all whats going on.

Yes, it has mad tyte jay-dee-EM hubcaps.

Build what you have!

Old 03-13-2019, 09:00 AM   #10 (permalink)
\/Your Mom Was Here\/

Rep Power: 54 BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 11 reviews

04-05 front end swap would look better.

The EX gearing is pretty nice, 2nd to 3rd or 3rd to 4th drop was a little long, can't remember which anymore...

I am sure you know of this info page but here 01-05 Civic FAQ

The car looks nice from the pics, you should have fun with these, not many people like the 7th gen but they do have a quieter interior than previous models and they are some of the smoothest transmission I have ever shifted.

2005 Civic EX Sedan (ES2)

You will be missed but not forgotten.

Quote:
I actually jerk off to my rep points, neg rep makes me thumb my bung, what now brown cow? I finished twice.
BeerDrinkin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-13-2019, 01:25 PM   #11 (permalink)
D-Series cadet

Looks tidy. We don't get the coupes here.

We also don't get snow, that looks coooold.

Old 03-13-2019, 04:10 PM   #12 (permalink)
D-series G0D

I think we peaked at -65* F with windchill this winter. Cold indeed.

Has been pretty nice out lately though. 35-45*F

Build what you have!

Old 03-19-2019, 07:23 PM   #13 (permalink)
D-series G0D

oem hood latch was garbage and only latched primary (not secondary tight latch), so I had ordered an ebay one. fast forward to last night, new latch didnt work.

Spent 3 hours fiddling with oem latch, gave up, got pissed off, grabbed the corners of the hood while still latched by primary, and may or may not have tweaked radiator core support, and separated nearly the entire hood skeleton when a moment of rage had me lift the hood and fully unload the front suspension. tough little car, kinda was hoping for the latch to get ripped off.

$10 autozone hood pins to the rescue tonight. I hate the looks but they hold the hood nice and tight now.

Hood has a bunch of flat spots up front, and corners are bent upwards, but fuck it, car pissed me off far too much for some reason. I dunno, some days recently, Ive found myself getting overly angry.

Good excuse to go to the facelift 04-05 setup like people were mentioning.

Maybe I can somehow reset the clock, and make a nice mild NA d17 daily that actually looks good.

I still need to order a spare d17 intake manifold and flange, and perhaps 2 spare sets of injectors so I can send all 8 out, get cleaned, and then balanced into at least 4 matching ones.

I have an angle on a 2004 civic hybrid that was absolutely demolished in the rear, so may have the EPS conversion. Depends on if the guy accepts $200 for his 300k+ civic, original owner apparently. Already got a buddy ready with a trailer who wants beer money if the deal goes down.

Build what you have!

Old 03-23-2019, 09:13 AM   #14 (permalink)
D-series G0D

civic hybrid fell through, was sold apparently hours after I called to inquire about it.

Put 300 miles on JUST past half a tank of gas.

Loving this transmission. Not the gearing, but the feeling.

When I get an EX tranny to shorten it up, this dx/lx tranny is being saved for a futre use inside a 88-00 civic if I ever find a CLEAN perfect shell.

Or maybe I should jjunk the 97 civic, and yank the motor out and save it for some crazy gocart.

100hp gocart with this long geared smooth tranny would be one hell of a fun device to rage on the back roads with.

Build what you have!

Old 03-30-2019, 08:56 PM   #15 (permalink)
D-series G0D

Honda MTF, Mobil synth 5w30, couple extra ground wires under hood, and a carwash later, this civic is looking better and driving good.

Runs FANTASTIC after I removed the shitty but new looking autolite plugs, and installed a set of OEM matching NGK laser's. OOF, $14 a plug was hard to accept when seeing the usual go-to of the copper V's, but the D17 coils (just like the K/J ignition coils) NEED a good resistor plug matching.

Ordered a temporary cat manny delete via ebay header. My thought is they dont have a second set of flanges to fuck up completely and have leaks. Gonna take it to work and sand blast it, and spray it with ceramic header paint, probably dark grey or black to hide it.

Also ordered a new 6" ID filter to replace the BLOX filter on the 6x2.5 velocity stack.

Ordered a cheap ebay short ram intake with 2.5" tubing, gonna trash the ebay filter and mount the blox stack/new GREEN performance filter (I never heard of them, but apparently they had a SEMA booth).

Not expecting great things overall, but having a stock exhaust manny/cat with primaries smaller than my thumb is making me think I might actually see a power gain with the ebay header.

This should temporarily satisfy me until I get the ball rolling on a vtec head swap, reground camshaft if Delta ever responds back, and the 1320 race header.

Then I will go on with my search for a clean set of VTI 91-99 pistons that give me roughly 1 point of compression bump

Build what you have!

Old 03-31-2019, 08:10 AM   #16 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 17 robgoof is the fucking MAN!!!!robgoof is the fucking MAN!!!!robgoof is the fucking MAN!!!!robgoof is the fucking MAN!!!!
robgoof is the fucking MAN!!!!robgoof is the fucking MAN!!!!robgoof is the fucking MAN!!!!robgoof is the fucking MAN!!!!robgoof is the fucking MAN!!!!robgoof is the fucking MAN!!!!robgoof is the fucking MAN!!!!robgoof is the fucking MAN!!!!robgoof is the fucking MAN!!!!robgoof is the fucking MAN!!!!robgoof is the fucking MAN!!!!robgoof is the fucking MAN!!!!robgoof is the fucking MAN!!!!robgoof is the fucking MAN!!!!robgoof is the fucking MAN!!!!

sounds like your enjoying this new honda of yours...

why no build thread?
robgoof is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-31-2019, 09:01 AM   #17 (permalink)
D-series G0D

Meh, Im far too lazy for an actual proper build thread.

I will however, attempt to provide some sort of DIY or guidance on any mods I do that are uncommon, effective, or just to have more familiarity for people interested.

Build what you have!

Old 03-31-2019, 06:25 PM   #18 (permalink)
D-series G0D

https://www.hondapartsstore.com/v-20...ton-crankshaft

01-03 GX civic (natural gas) pistons will actually work!

Piston pin is same part number across all 1985 to 2005 D series engines, EXCEPT 96-00 GX, which use 21mm pins.

This will give me 11.9:1 compression with no head/block slicing/decking, and assuming perfect 75mm bore.

Looks like the road to an NA d17 build will actually be effective once I get my PnP AEM Series II

https://www.zealautowerks.com/dseries.html

Build what you have!

Old 04-01-2019, 01:00 PM   #19 (permalink)
D-Series cadet

Dang that's cool

Old 04-01-2019, 01:29 PM   #20 (permalink)
D-series G0D

Its cool, especially since any of the stroker guys can use this info as well.

a GX'd 1.7 setup would rock in a daily driver crx or 5th/6th gen hatch with a d16 block.

I may be grabbing a spare d17a2 full engine this weekend. If that happens, an NA build is definitely coming far sooner than later!

My first priority is getting that drop in AEM Series II ecu, and playing witht he stock setup, to see how it talks to it.

Im gonna have to get a refresher soon!

Build what you have!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Security Question
*Required, this field is not shown to others: While balancing on a piece of wood, two inches by four inches known as a 2x4, john and his friend sally both spotted a dalmatian inside a truck with sirens, headed to put out a fire. State what kind of animal is mentioned in the sentence above.
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in