Car won't run after AEM cam gear install - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org Motor Mayhem & Suspension Satisfaction 7th Gen

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-23-2015, 06:27 PM   #1 (permalink)
n00b

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Default Car won't run after AEM cam gear install

I'm a newb to this site, new to tuning, but not a new technician and I have never had this issue before.

I bought kpro for my d17 and in order to run kpro, I need to use this AEM cam gear. Hondata says it has modified teeth and kpro absolutely will not work without it. Today I installed the cam gear and the kpro installed ecu and the car wouldn't run. I tried advancing, and retarding the timing on the gear itself. I tried to just run the car on stock ecu with the AEM gear - same issue. The motor starts, revs up, and dies. I tried each and every degree of advancing and retarding. This means I rotated the motor to TDC 20 times, adjusted the gear a degree, and 20 times failed to get a running motor.

I removed the AEM cam gear and reinstalled the oem gear. Perfectly running motor.

I'm baffled because even though they say the AEM gear has modified teeth, I put them right on top of each other and they are identical but my car won't run with that gear installed...Same amount of teeth, same diameter, everything. I'm believing the only difference between oem and AEM is the fact AEM is adjustable.

What am I doing wrong? And I know you can't use kpro without the gear, BUT can you use the gear without kpro?
Markwnjr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-23-2015, 06:43 PM   #2 (permalink)
D-series G0D

Rep Power: 25 xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!
xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 9 reviews

Why cant you use it with the gear?

And kinda sounds like you set the timing wrong.
If both gears line up tooth for tooth and key way for key way.
Then that means you install it wrong.

OR, and this is a big or since im not a d17 guy.

Bit the oem pully is steel and there is cam sensor thatbis magnatic.
While the new aem pully is alumiun and the cam sensor isnt picking up on the alumi pulley

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
. RIP

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

xile6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-23-2015, 06:57 PM   #3 (permalink)
n00b

I never thought about your cam sensor idea. I'll look into that....thank you for your Input on that.

And while I'm positive timing is the issue, I can't say how. I sort of ruled out the possibility of ME setting timing wrong. I mentioned 20 times I messed with the timing; I literally meant 20 times. Make that 21 with the reinstallation of the OEM gear. And the only thing that worked was the reinstall of OEM gear. They were both installed the same way and within seconds. I've done this a million times, It's very straightforward. Both crank and cam pointed up. Cam gear 'up' with notches aligned with the head. The OEM gear works, the AEM gear doesn't.

There has to be something different about this AEM gear, other than its ability to be adjusted. I put both gears together the same exact way.

Old 10-23-2015, 07:03 PM   #4 (permalink)
n00b

They say you HAVE to use the AEM gear to run kpro and their reasoning is 'modified teeth'. But if they look identical..... I don't understand.

According to Hondata, the d17 knock sensor is incompatible with kpro and needs to be disabled. Could not disabling the knock sensor in kmanager be my issue?
Old 10-24-2015, 03:53 AM   #5 (permalink)
D-series PIMP

Rep Power: 9 v4lu3s is a name known to allv4lu3s is a name known to allv4lu3s is a name known to allv4lu3s is a name known to allv4lu3s is a name known to allv4lu3s is a name known to allv4lu3s is a name known to allv4lu3s is a name known to allv4lu3s is a name known to allv4lu3s is a name known to all
iTrader Score: 1 reviews

I am assuming you are on here because when you had a problem and called Hondata tech support they did nothing for you? Or did you even call? I mean you paid high dollar for their products and the tech support that comes with it...
v4lu3s is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-24-2015, 04:19 AM   #6 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 17 robgoof is the fucking MAN!!!!robgoof is the fucking MAN!!!!robgoof is the fucking MAN!!!!robgoof is the fucking MAN!!!!
robgoof is the fucking MAN!!!!robgoof is the fucking MAN!!!!robgoof is the fucking MAN!!!!robgoof is the fucking MAN!!!!robgoof is the fucking MAN!!!!robgoof is the fucking MAN!!!!robgoof is the fucking MAN!!!!robgoof is the fucking MAN!!!!robgoof is the fucking MAN!!!!robgoof is the fucking MAN!!!!robgoof is the fucking MAN!!!!robgoof is the fucking MAN!!!!robgoof is the fucking MAN!!!!robgoof is the fucking MAN!!!!robgoof is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 3 reviews

has a base map been loaded ,,,?

sure you have the right cam gear?

Last edited by robgoof; 10-24-2015 at 04:25 AM.
robgoof is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-24-2015, 06:39 AM   #7 (permalink)
D-series G0D

Rep Power: 32 mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 10 reviews

it is possible you received a 96-00 AEM cam gear.

remember, the d17 cams are just a d16y7 or d16y8 cam for the most part, depending on nonvtec or vtec. the d17 versions simply do not have the distributor drive slot on the back end

2003 Hyundai Sonata GLS 2.7 Delta 197k

1998 Cadillac Seville SLS just broke 100k
2001 civic LX coupe MTX 199k
Sometimes, the difficult path is the easiest path
D/B/F/H/K compression questions?

Build what you have!

mattliston is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-24-2015, 06:57 AM   #8 (permalink)
D-series PIMP

Rep Power: 9 v4lu3s is a name known to allv4lu3s is a name known to allv4lu3s is a name known to allv4lu3s is a name known to allv4lu3s is a name known to allv4lu3s is a name known to allv4lu3s is a name known to allv4lu3s is a name known to allv4lu3s is a name known to allv4lu3s is a name known to all

If he bought the package through a Hondata dealer it should have have been the correct cam gear. if he went and just bought an AEM gear it may not be correct if they make on specifically for Hondata Kpro.
Old 10-24-2015, 07:35 AM   #9 (permalink)
D-series G0D

Rep Power: 32 mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !

there is always room for human error, unfortunately.

2003 Hyundai Sonata GLS 2.7 Delta 197k

1998 Cadillac Seville SLS just broke 100k
2001 civic LX coupe MTX 199k
Sometimes, the difficult path is the easiest path
D/B/F/H/K compression questions?

Build what you have!

mattliston is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-24-2015, 10:06 AM   #10 (permalink)
D-series PIMP

that is why i am curious if it is the exact gear that Hondata sells or if he went and bought the AEM gear, Hondata does not sell the d16 gears at all, and the part number for the Hondata gear is different than the AEM gear. Its supposed to be a custom made piece for Hondata by AEm allowing for the cam to function as a trigger wheel.

Last edited by v4lu3s; 10-24-2015 at 10:12 AM.
Old 10-30-2015, 11:03 AM   #11 (permalink)
D-series lover

Rep Power: 7 spAdam smells like BoratspAdam smells like BoratspAdam smells like BoratspAdam smells like BoratspAdam smells like BoratspAdam smells like Borat

Should be super obvious, the D17 cam gear has a timing ring on it, a D16 one will not at all:

I don't know if AEM sells a D17 gear for stock applications or not, but if so OP should still be able to figure that out by comparing his AEM timing ring to the one on his stock gear.

The fact that it won't run on either ecu with the AEM gear on it screams at me that he using a D16 one.

Last edited by spAdam; 10-30-2015 at 11:06 AM.
spAdam is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-31-2015, 01:15 AM   #12 (permalink)
D-series post SLUT

007 is hot as a volcano007 is hot as a volcano007 is hot as a volcano007 is hot as a volcano007 is hot as a volcano007 is hot as a volcano007 is hot as a volcano

^ This. Without the ring, I doubt the cam sensor will pick up a non magnetic cam gear.
Old 11-01-2015, 06:30 PM   #13 (permalink)
All powerful D-series member

Rep Power: 22 HondaDNA is the fucking MAN!!!!HondaDNA is the fucking MAN!!!!HondaDNA is the fucking MAN!!!!
HondaDNA is the fucking MAN!!!!HondaDNA is the fucking MAN!!!!HondaDNA is the fucking MAN!!!!HondaDNA is the fucking MAN!!!!HondaDNA is the fucking MAN!!!!HondaDNA is the fucking MAN!!!!HondaDNA is the fucking MAN!!!!HondaDNA is the fucking MAN!!!!HondaDNA is the fucking MAN!!!!HondaDNA is the fucking MAN!!!!HondaDNA is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 6 reviews
Send a message via AIM to HondaDNA

Did you make sure to tell Kpro software you are using a D17?

Quote:
Funny enough, Honda did a writeup on how to do that because it is one if the most difficult things to do to...
HondaDNA is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Security Question
*Required, this field is not shown to others: While balancing on a piece of wood, two inches by four inches known as a 2x4, john and his friend sally both spotted a dalmatian inside a truck with sirens, headed to put out a fire. State what kind of animal is mentioned in the sentence above.
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in