Wire in 2nd O2 Sensor D17A1 - A2 LX to EX - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org Motor Mayhem & Suspension Satisfaction 7th Gen

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-18-2015, 05:19 AM   #1 (permalink)
n00b

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Default Wire in 2nd O2 Sensor D17A1 - A2 LX to EX

I also Posted in the General Forum not sure where is the best for this question as I can not find the answer in FAQ or other Forums

I recently swapped my D17A1 out of my 2005 Civic LX SE with a D17A2. I had the Motor, Trans, Wire harness and ECU from the donor 2003 EX. The motor is in and running on the stock LX ECU right now throwing the code for the 2nd O2 sensor, and no VTEC. I have an appt at Honda on Wednesday to have the ECU flashed to match my keys so I can get the VTEC working.

So in the mean time I have been searching all the forums for how to wire in the 2nd O2 sensor as the factory harness does not have it on it like on my LX. As I have read on all the forums the 2nd O2 sensor is part of the body harness. I dissected the harness from my old motor to get the wires for the O2 sensor. I have put the pins into the connector at the ECU where they were on the LX.
pin 25 wht/red Secondary O2
23 brn/yel Logic Ground
14 blk/wht SecondaryO2 sensor heater control
10 grn/yel Sensor ground

The last wire is Black/Yellow and I can't figure out where this wire goes. I think it would be pins 2 or 3 which are supposed to be yel/blk power source but not sure so I left it disconnected.

Checked for codes and now I have 8 with all these connected. It throws a code for both O2 sensors. When I take the Logic ground off it only throws the secondary O2 and heater code. So I tried the Logic ground on pin 24 which is also supposed to be logic ground with the same result, throwing 8 codes.

Am I having these issues because I am running on the LX ECU and did not flash the EX ECU yet?

The O2 sensors are new and for the EX motor not my LX O2 sensors, still using LX ECU at the moment.

I replaced the whole exhaust headers back with aftermarket, 1 O2 Sensor at bottom of header the other is about mid car under the console. No CAT installed, but 2nd O2 is with spacer.

Where do I wire in the 2nd O2 Sensor at the ECU?
There are 4 wires and a shield

Not that it matters but also replaced while the motor was out
Timing Belt, Water Pump, Thermostat, Crank Seal, Cam Seal, Valve Cover Gasket, Both Belts, Spark Plug Seals, Output Shaft Seals, Clutch Kit, Motor Mounts, O2 Sensors, Full Exhaust, Cold Air Intake, All Fluids

Please Help if you can, I am not your average everyday idiot. I am a Tech by trade and have worked on cars for years. I have owned this car since new and haven't ever had to do anything but the usual maintenance. Haven't done a swap since the early 90's. I also have all the tools and testing equipment at my disposal.
Thanks Again for all your help
Jason (n00b)
jcb111 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-19-2015, 10:54 AM   #2 (permalink)
n00b

Ok so here is an update since no one has offered any assistance.

I place the wires from the downstream O2 sensor into Connector E as they are supposed to go in the EX, still using my LX computer till Wednesday.

Now it is pulling 4 codes instead of the 8 hooked into the A connector

The codes are for both O2 Sensors and heaters

Is this because I am still running the LX computer with EX O2 sensors and EX motor?

I guess I will have to wait till I can flash the EX computer to work with my keys and then pull the code again.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thank You
Old 06-19-2015, 11:26 AM   #3 (permalink)
D-series post SLUT

007 is hot as a volcano007 is hot as a volcano007 is hot as a volcano007 is hot as a volcano007 is hot as a volcano007 is hot as a volcano007 is hot as a volcano
iTrader Score: 10 reviews

Black / Yellow is for ignition power. 4 wire O2 sensors have the following layout:

1 signal wire that sends 0-1 V to the ECU
1 ground wire for the above mentioned signal wire
1 ignition power wire for the heater
1 ECU switched ground for the heater

I'm not familiar with the exact layout of your connectors, but you could try to look up the pin numbers here: Honda ECU Pinouts Side by Side - Blackworks

Old 06-24-2015, 10:11 AM   #4 (permalink)
n00b

Thanks 007 I am getting the ECU flashed after work today so hopefully everything will start working right.
Old 06-25-2015, 05:40 AM   #5 (permalink)
n00b

All good after flash from Honda
Keys work now with the ECU that matches the motor
Only code its throwing was the heater on O2 sensor 2
Wired the Black/Yellow wire to pin 5 yel/blu on connector E
Wired all O2 stuff to connector E and all good now, No codes

So just so its cleared up for anyone else doing a LX - EX conversion in a 2001-2005 Civic here is where the wires are landed when using EX Motor, Trans, Wire Harness and ECU

Here is where they are on the stock harness Connector A (31 pins)
25 wht/red Secondary O2
23 brn/yel Logic Ground
14 blk/wht SecondaryO2 sensor heater control
10 grn/yel Sensor ground
Blk/yel Heater acc power

Here is where they go on Connector E (31 pins)

2 wht/red Secondary O2
3 brn/yel Logic Ground (Shield from O2 Sensor)
5 yel/blu Sensor voltage (attach to blk/yel from O2 Sensor)
6 blk/wht SecondaryO2 sensor heater control
Connector A (31 pin)
10 grn/yel Sensor ground

On the wht/red and Blk/wht
I dissected the old harness to get the whole wire with the metal ends that fit into the harness. As you will find out when going from LX to EX there are a few different wires and they are not in both body harnesses the same way. On the other wires I just tapped in and soldered and taped as not to cut the factory wiring.
I hope his helps anyone that might be doing the same swap that I needed to do to get my everyday driver back on the road with a few upgrades.
Old 06-25-2015, 06:37 AM   #6 (permalink)
wise in the ways of the D

Rep Power: 44 Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 4 reviews

Nice job working this out, I am not good at wiring yet. Still cleaning up the old owners mess in my car.

Did you get any pics? Pics help tell the story for sure.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
They stop laughing at your piece of shit when they can only see it through your dust.
R.I.P. - NN4S
R.I.P. - Cali Noob

You guys are gone but never forgotten, we live each day to the fullest for you, who cannot see the new day we often forget is amazing.

xbox gamer tag: angeloah
Whoshot is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-25-2015, 06:47 AM   #7 (permalink)
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whoshot View Post
Nice job working this out, I am not good at wiring yet. Still cleaning up the old owners mess in my car.

Did you get any pics? Pics help tell the story for sure.
I will try to take pics before and after I clean up the wiring. Plan on making this look stock.
Old 06-25-2015, 06:56 AM   #8 (permalink)
wise in the ways of the D

Rep Power: 44 Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 4 reviews

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
They stop laughing at your piece of shit when they can only see it through your dust.
R.I.P. - NN4S
R.I.P. - Cali Noob

You guys are gone but never forgotten, we live each day to the fullest for you, who cannot see the new day we often forget is amazing.

xbox gamer tag: angeloah
Whoshot is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-29-2015, 05:39 PM   #9 (permalink)
D-series lover

Rep Power: 9 _Jack_Bauer_ is starting to learn the ropes_Jack_Bauer_ is starting to learn the ropes_Jack_Bauer_ is starting to learn the ropes_Jack_Bauer_ is starting to learn the ropes_Jack_Bauer_ is starting to learn the ropes_Jack_Bauer_ is starting to learn the ropes_Jack_Bauer_ is starting to learn the ropes
iTrader Score: 1 reviews

I was just about to post a the same question. I just converted my 02 Civic Sedan from Auto to MT.

Got a complete donor 01 Si. Swapped over Engine, Trans, Engine Harness, PCM, Ignition Tumbler and Transponder.

First startup was a few hours ago, and I ran into the same thing with the O2 Sensors this eve. Was just researching how to wire the sensors directly to the PCM. Only thing I wasnt sure of is where to ground the Signal at PCM. This helps, Ill hopefully get the wiring on this swap finished up tomorrow now.

This is the diagram I was using, from Mitchells Shop key. It just diddnt say anything about O2 Grounds. Just heater + and o2 input.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Untitled.jpg
Views:	1266
Size:	25.9 KB
ID:	91210  

_Jack_Bauer_ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-02-2015, 06:41 PM   #10 (permalink)
D-series lover

Rep Power: 9 _Jack_Bauer_ is starting to learn the ropes_Jack_Bauer_ is starting to learn the ropes_Jack_Bauer_ is starting to learn the ropes_Jack_Bauer_ is starting to learn the ropes_Jack_Bauer_ is starting to learn the ropes_Jack_Bauer_ is starting to learn the ropes_Jack_Bauer_ is starting to learn the ropes
iTrader Score: 1 reviews

All buttoned up. This thread had exactly the info I needed. Props to jcb111 for sorting it out.

_Jack_Bauer_ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-03-2015, 02:44 PM   #11 (permalink)
Classic Man

Rep Power: 59 FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 6 reviews

Repped you guys!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry Ford
Whether you think you can, or you think you can't--you're right.
FarmerD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-06-2015, 06:07 AM   #12 (permalink)
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Jack_Bauer_ View Post
All buttoned up. This thread had exactly the info I needed. Props to jcb111 for sorting it out.
Thanks Jack

I appreciate it since its my 1st swap in years and it worked!

With alot of help from the internet lol
Old 03-05-2017, 06:53 PM   #13 (permalink)
n00b

Thank you!! so helpful! did you ever get pics to post?
kevr1ch is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
d17a1 a2 civic, downstream o2 sensor ecu, lx to ex

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in