d17 head swaps? - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org Motor Mayhem & Suspension Satisfaction 7th Gen

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-06-2005, 01:34 PM   #1 (permalink)
statuin

Lightbulb d17 head swaps?

i recieved a 2001 civic hx with the cvt. now i know its not much of a motor but i'd like to do the best i can with it. will the head from an ex work and if so which year should i look for. if you have any other swap suggestions let me know.
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-06-2005, 05:35 PM   #2 (permalink)

Rep Power: 0 Tobias is a name known to allTobias is a name known to allTobias is a name known to allTobias is a name known to allTobias is a name known to allTobias is a name known to allTobias is a name known to allTobias is a name known to allTobias is a name known to all
iTrader Score: 1 reviews

Do what I did. Trade up 2 a RSX Type-S. Really though, I had an LX all ready 4 a head swap. I looked between 01-04 yr models. Scored 1 off a wreck of an 02. Still have it 2 but not the car! As far as I know, the swap should work, but as always research other forums and sites 4 info. Like I said, mine was an LX and was told the swap would work. Good luck!
Tobias is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-06-2005, 05:57 PM   #3 (permalink)
big_daddy_b_99

any 7th gen D17a2 ex head will work, but in order for it all to work the way you want it to you'll need the head, cam, vtec solenoid, and ecu.

Last edited by big_daddy_b_99; 09-06-2005 at 06:02 PM.

Old 09-06-2005, 06:03 PM   #4 (permalink)
big_daddy_b_99

or just get the whole motor now that i think about it, you can probab;y get it off ebay for like 300 since everyone doesn't want them and wants a k series.
Old 09-07-2005, 10:03 AM   #5 (permalink)
statuin

thanks guys. if you dont want that head anymore tobias maybe i can take it off your hands
Old 09-07-2005, 08:33 PM   #6 (permalink)

Rep Power: 0 Tobias is a name known to allTobias is a name known to allTobias is a name known to allTobias is a name known to allTobias is a name known to allTobias is a name known to allTobias is a name known to allTobias is a name known to allTobias is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by statuin
thanks guys. if you dont want that head anymore tobias maybe i can take it off your hands
Pitch me an offer! Whole stock head minus the valve cover. Although I took out the valve's, springs, etc. Was getting it ready 4 a PnP job.
Old 09-09-2005, 11:12 AM   #7 (permalink)
91Bhatch

that is a good question if it will work havent tried it LOL ... im sure theres some kinda mini me swap story comin from this though ! guess well have to find out now wont we
Old 09-09-2005, 10:35 PM   #8 (permalink)
statuin

how will i know if its not gonna work? are there any early warning signs? you know the kind that will stop me before i spend my lifes savings?
Old 09-12-2005, 04:28 AM   #9 (permalink)
StuckeyPCS

Actually you can get away with swapping the A2 head on the A1 block, and the only wiring you have to do is to the Vtec Solenoid to a VAFC2 module which can control the vtec engagement for you. No need for a A2 ECU.
Old 09-12-2005, 07:45 AM   #10 (permalink)
statuin

well thats cool stuckey but i dont have an A1 block, it says A6 unless i'm just a retard. the other thing is i dont really understand why i need a new ecu. my car already is a vtec. can someone explain?
Old 09-12-2005, 07:23 PM   #11 (permalink)

Well the HX is similar 2 the LX in which they share the same HP @117. Your VTEC is a VTEC-E which basically @ higher RPM's burns fuel more efficientlly. Not much 4 power w/your vtec. In fact your car is a ULEV which stands for ultra low emissions vehicle. So basically your car was built to run lean for fuel effiency. Your car is a 1.7 liter so it should B compatible w/other D17 blocks. An EX head is still VTEC-E but has an extra 10 hp. Add a port and polish and U might see some good gains. I'll do some more research 4 ya.
Old 09-13-2005, 02:48 PM   #12 (permalink)
All powerful D-series member

custom_junky is a Top Aussiecustom_junky is a Top Aussiecustom_junky is a Top Aussiecustom_junky is a Top Aussiecustom_junky is a Top Aussiecustom_junky is a Top Aussiecustom_junky is a Top Aussiecustom_junky is a Top Aussiecustom_junky is a Top Aussiecustom_junky is a Top Aussiecustom_junky is a Top Aussie
iTrader Score: 4 reviews

yes the ex head will fit just fine on the ALL d17 blocks. however, there is also a chance you may not need to do much else than replace the head with the ex head due to the fact that the hx already has the vtec engangment point, and it is the same vtec type as the ex model...in fact i believe that the difference between the hx and ex is the cam inside the head, however don't quote me on that, because i'm not 100% sure on that...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
There's two things in life you never want people to know about you...
1. You know how to work on cars.
2. You know how to work on computers.

You my friend are cursed with this info being out in the open.
^ little truth ^

R.I.P. Milo
R.I.P. PatPrimmer
custom_junky is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-15-2005, 10:04 PM   #13 (permalink)
statuin

cool thanks a lot guys that helps, but i have another little problem tobias. i'll pm it to you
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in