mounting a distributor on a d17a - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org Motor Mayhem & Suspension Satisfaction 7th Gen

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-31-2005, 04:51 PM   #1 (permalink)
assininecur

Default mounting a distributor on a d17a

That plug on the back of the d17a valve cover.....looks like someone could mount a distributor there.....does the cam have the distributor drive notch on it? Has anyone opened up their d17 and looked? I want to put one in a 93 as a replacement.....
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-01-2005, 04:39 AM   #2 (permalink)

rotory20 is hot as a volcanorotory20 is hot as a volcanorotory20 is hot as a volcanorotory20 is hot as a volcanorotory20 is hot as a volcanorotory20 is hot as a volcanorotory20 is hot as a volcanorotory20 is hot as a volcanorotory20 is hot as a volcanorotory20 is hot as a volcanorotory20 is hot as a volcanorotory20 is hot as a volcano
iTrader Score: 3 reviews

why the heck would you want to put a dizzy on a dizzy less car?
i would love to have dizzy less ignition
rotory20 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-01-2005, 05:30 AM   #3 (permalink)
assininecur

Default Why not?

It was only a question. If someone has actually had a d17 apart and noted whether or not the cam has the distributor drive slot and would be willing to tell me would be extremely helpful.

But to answer your question, I'm considering putting a d17 into a 93 sedan.

thanks

Old 09-01-2005, 05:58 AM   #4 (permalink)
Shackle me NOT!!!

flatfourfan Still a JDM Star....flatfourfan Still a JDM Star....flatfourfan Still a JDM Star....flatfourfan Still a JDM Star....flatfourfan Still a JDM Star....flatfourfan Still a JDM Star....flatfourfan Still a JDM Star....flatfourfan Still a JDM Star....flatfourfan Still a JDM Star....
iTrader Score: 0 reviews

They use that whole magnetic pick-up trigger thingie doo dah, most guys over here say it sucks. I don't know anyone that's gone back to a dizzy on one.
flatfourfan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-01-2005, 12:53 PM   #5 (permalink)

berettagtz117 is a Top Aussieberettagtz117 is a Top Aussieberettagtz117 is a Top Aussieberettagtz117 is a Top Aussieberettagtz117 is a Top Aussieberettagtz117 is a Top Aussieberettagtz117 is a Top Aussieberettagtz117 is a Top Aussieberettagtz117 is a Top Aussieberettagtz117 is a Top Aussieberettagtz117 is a Top Aussie
iTrader Score: 17 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by assininecur
It was only a question. If someone has actually had a d17 apart and noted whether or not the cam has the distributor drive slot and would be willing to tell me would be extremely helpful.

But to answer your question, I'm considering putting a d17 into a 93 sedan.

thanks
WHY? Way too much hassle and there gutless! Trust me I won one, plus there is no aftermarket support. You can get JDM d15b Longblock for $375 from guy on here. THere clean and have hella low mileage from JP!
berettagtz117 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-01-2005, 01:50 PM   #6 (permalink)
assininecur

Default d17 distrib stuff....

Thanks for all your replies.

Again, I was only asking a question, "Is it possible to physically stick (and make it turn, work) a d series distributor onto the head of a d17a*?" All I need is a yes or no. Either I can or I can't.

I fully understand that DIS is vastly superior to distributor systems. I know that b series and other d series engines may be much more preferable to stick in a 93 dx sedan.

I'm simply asking if a distributor will bolt up and work on a d17a.

Thanks, sincerely.
Old 09-05-2005, 03:39 PM   #7 (permalink)
DOG
All powerful D-series member

Rep Power: 19 DOG is approaching greatnessDOG is approaching greatnessDOG is approaching greatnessDOG is approaching greatnessDOG is approaching greatnessDOG is approaching greatnessDOG is approaching greatnessDOG is approaching greatnessDOG is approaching greatnessDOG is approaching greatnessDOG is approaching greatnessDOG is approaching greatnessDOG is approaching greatnessDOG is approaching greatness
iTrader Score: 18 reviews
Send a message via AIM to DOG

No you cant do it. You would have a better chance putting a 96-98 y8 head on the D17 and using the y8 distributor/ecu. May not be possible either.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

DOG is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-05-2005, 08:14 PM   #8 (permalink)
big_daddy_b_99

nope can't be done cause there is no notch in the cam for the distributor to hook up. i actually have a d17a1 (non vtec) cam still around my house from when i had my 02 7thgen which i sold to go old school. i still have my pnp head too and thought about seeing if it would work with mine but no dice. oh well soon to be turboed jdm d15b vtec del sol owns my 7thgen, but it was still a nice car to work with though.
Old 09-06-2005, 06:12 PM   #9 (permalink)
big_daddy_b_99

oh yeah and i got to thinkin about you saying there is a plug on the d17a1 and that's because that is where the vtec solenoid would be if it were a d17a2.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in