d17a2 accel issue - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org Motor Mayhem & Suspension Satisfaction 7th Gen

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-23-2014, 09:51 AM   #1 (permalink)
n00b

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Exclamation d17a2 accel issue

So I'm going to try these online forums again, you usually just get shit talked too on these things. I have recently sold my 95 hatch with a z6 and got a 01 Ex civic coupe with d17a2. The car has 199,945 miles. Upgraded head with stage 2 crower cam w/ springs an retainers. Since I have owned the vehicle I have fixed 2 cel codes. One for a crank sensor and a tps. Also have got new ignition coils with plugs and also cleaned out throttle body plus ran sea foam through the gas tank. Some of you will probably have a problem with that but it hasn't ever given me a problem in the past, the shit works!

Now onto my problem, the car keeps wanting to Throw a radom misfire code for cylinders 2-4. It stumbles very badly trying to roll out from a dead stop with rpms lower than 2. Seems like so far if you ride the clutch an roll out at 2000 It's fine. Same with second gear sometimes. You give it gas and the car bogs down and almost dies. I have been reading online with the stage 2 cam that the stock Ecu can't make the proper changes to fuel/air ratio? I'm completely lost at this point, only other thing I can think to check is the injectors.

I am writing this while at work so I know I'm forgetting some tiny details thatll probably help.
Just write back with any info you have that might help and I'll get back to you soon as I can.

Last edited by Dr.pepper; 08-23-2014 at 08:23 PM.
Dr.pepper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-23-2014, 05:16 PM   #2 (permalink)
D-series post SLUT

gearhead98 is hot as a volcanogearhead98 is hot as a volcanogearhead98 is hot as a volcanogearhead98 is hot as a volcanogearhead98 is hot as a volcanogearhead98 is hot as a volcanogearhead98 is hot as a volcanogearhead98 is hot as a volcanogearhead98 is hot as a volcanogearhead98 is hot as a volcanogearhead98 is hot as a volcanogearhead98 is hot as a volcanogearhead98 is hot as a volcano
iTrader Score: 14 reviews

Do a couple of things just to get them out of the way

Compression test and leak down test. These 2 will confirm there is no mechanical deficiency with the motor.
06 CGP TSX - 6 speed DD
gearhead98 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-23-2014, 05:51 PM   #3 (permalink)
n00b

I was thinking about getting the compression tested but wasnt sure. I'll have to see if I can get it done this week

Old 08-23-2014, 07:28 PM   #4 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 9 HB turbo--> smells like BoratHB turbo--> smells like BoratHB turbo--> smells like BoratHB turbo--> smells like BoratHB turbo--> smells like Borat

What about tuning?
Old 08-23-2014, 08:15 PM   #5 (permalink)
n00b

Can you be more specific?
Old 08-24-2014, 04:37 AM   #6 (permalink)
D-series post SLUT

gearhead98 is hot as a volcanogearhead98 is hot as a volcanogearhead98 is hot as a volcanogearhead98 is hot as a volcanogearhead98 is hot as a volcanogearhead98 is hot as a volcanogearhead98 is hot as a volcanogearhead98 is hot as a volcanogearhead98 is hot as a volcanogearhead98 is hot as a volcanogearhead98 is hot as a volcanogearhead98 is hot as a volcanogearhead98 is hot as a volcano

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.pepper View Post
Can you be more specific?
I believe he is asking whether the car is tuned for the larger cam or not, and if said tune could be the culprit.
06 CGP TSX - 6 speed DD
Old 08-24-2014, 05:25 AM   #7 (permalink)
D-series G0D

Rep Power: 25 xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!
xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 9 reviews

It very well could the be cam.
Something was added to the motor that the ecu doesn't know about.
You replace the spark plugs to see if that does anything but really I believe it's lack of tuning.
The cam gear could be off causing lag in the lower rpms. But really a tune and proper time cam and gear is more or less what you need.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
. RIP

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

xile6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-25-2014, 09:47 AM   #8 (permalink)
n00b

As far as I know the car is not tuned for the cam. Previous owner told me to hang onto his number in case something comes up. I'm trying to get up with him to see when it all was Installed and if any issues afterwards.

Let me ask another question, the cam gear is the stock gear but everything else stage 2. To me It's a bit strange they skipped on the gear. Is it unusual to run upgraded head parts with a stock gear? Would it be better to get something aftermarket or is the stock better just for an everyday car?
Old 08-25-2014, 09:54 AM   #9 (permalink)
Retired From Hondas

Rep Power: 37 Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 7 reviews

OK, Im just clarifying.

You bought a civic with a stage 2 cam and valvetrain already installed? Correct?

There was no issues when you bought this, drove it around, ran fine when you handed over the cash.. correct?
People try so hard to be unique, they lose their sense of style

Esotericimage is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-25-2014, 12:44 PM   #10 (permalink)
All powerful D-series member

Rep Power: 22 HondaDNA is the fucking MAN!!!!HondaDNA is the fucking MAN!!!!HondaDNA is the fucking MAN!!!!
HondaDNA is the fucking MAN!!!!HondaDNA is the fucking MAN!!!!HondaDNA is the fucking MAN!!!!HondaDNA is the fucking MAN!!!!HondaDNA is the fucking MAN!!!!HondaDNA is the fucking MAN!!!!HondaDNA is the fucking MAN!!!!HondaDNA is the fucking MAN!!!!HondaDNA is the fucking MAN!!!!HondaDNA is the fucking MAN!!!!HondaDNA is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 6 reviews
Send a message via AIM to HondaDNA

What coils and plugs are used?

Did you replace the TPS?

Quote:
Funny enough, Honda did a writeup on how to do that because it is one if the most difficult things to do to...
HondaDNA is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-25-2014, 01:10 PM   #11 (permalink)
D-series G0D

Rep Power: 25 xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!
xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 9 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esotericimage View Post
OK, Im just clarifying.

You bought a civic with a stage 2 cam and valvetrain already installed? Correct?

There was no issues when you bought this, drove it around, ran fine when you handed over the cash.. correct?
These need answering.

. RIP

xile6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-25-2014, 04:58 PM   #12 (permalink)
D-series post SLUT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.pepper View Post
As far as I know the car is not tuned for the cam. Previous owner told me to hang onto his number in case something comes up. I'm trying to get up with him to see when it all was Installed and if any issues afterwards.

Let me ask another question, the cam gear is the stock gear but everything else stage 2. To me It's a bit strange they skipped on the gear. Is it unusual to run upgraded head parts with a stock gear? Would it be better to get something aftermarket or is the stock better just for an everyday car?
I have run a stage 2 cam with a stock gear before.
06 CGP TSX - 6 speed DD
Old 08-26-2014, 07:28 AM   #13 (permalink)
n00b

Bosch plugs and coils I got off majestic Honda.com. have to look to see what manufacturer.
Yes tps has been replaced and calibrated. Did one on my old z6 so not my first time changing that out.

Yes I bought the car with everything installed, drove it around and at that point it just seemed like it needed a tune up you know. Slight hesitation, ran Okay once you were going.

I have every service record from 01 when the car was bought off the lot. So my first thought was nothing to serious probably just a few things need Replacing like any car/Honda with 200k
Old 08-26-2014, 07:37 AM   #14 (permalink)
\/Your Mom Was Here\/

Rep Power: 54 BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 11 reviews

I got 200k on my all stock 2005. Not a thing like that wrong with it, stock D17a2. It could be that cam and headwork throwing it off. Should maybe try a stock head from a junkyard and see if that helps.

2005 Civic EX Sedan (ES2)

You will be missed but not forgotten.

Quote:
I actually jerk off to my rep points, neg rep makes me thumb my bung, what now brown cow? I finished twice.
BeerDrinkin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-26-2014, 08:07 AM   #15 (permalink)
n00b

I still have all the stock parts that came out the head. I could just swap it out and try it that way but I don't have the proper tools to remove the springs an retainers. Really don't feel like trying it all the sketchy ways on YouTube either, haha
Old 08-26-2014, 08:38 AM   #16 (permalink)
\/Your Mom Was Here\/

Rep Power: 54 BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 11 reviews

Pressurized the cylinder with air and use a socket and hammer to pop the spring retainers off and then use a good spring compressor to put them on. Should be easy.

Valve Spring Compressor Universal Overhead Set - Rich Tool Systems

2005 Civic EX Sedan (ES2)

You will be missed but not forgotten.

Quote:
I actually jerk off to my rep points, neg rep makes me thumb my bung, what now brown cow? I finished twice.
BeerDrinkin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-29-2014, 11:13 AM   #17 (permalink)
n00b

I think I'm just going to look for a head to swap out the one I have.
That'll be easier and a quicker job for me to do just because ive done it before .

Thanks for the advice. I'll try to remember to post an update if I find a new head
Old 08-29-2014, 11:28 AM   #18 (permalink)
D-series lover

Rep Power: 6 RonJ is almost a somebodyRonJ is almost a somebodyRonJ is almost a somebodyRonJ is almost a somebody

See post #2. Did you compression test the cylinders? This should be done.
RonJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Security Question
*Required, this field is not shown to others: While balancing on a piece of wood, two inches by four inches known as a 2x4, john and his friend sally both spotted a dalmatian inside a truck with sirens, headed to put out a fire. State what kind of animal is mentioned in the sentence above.
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in