Jdm d17a - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org Motor Mayhem & Suspension Satisfaction 7th Gen

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-12-2014, 08:35 PM   #1 (permalink)
n00b

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Default Jdm d17a

Ok guys I have an 05 honda civic ex with manual trans. When I bought it the D17a2 had a blown head gasket, so instead of fixing it I bought a JDM D17A. Now it was plug and play for the most part, did have to use the USDM throttle body to still have cruise control. Here are my questions that I cant seem to find any answers to. 1) do I need the JDM ECU, I was told the usdm ecu would be fine. But my car seems to get bad mpg on the high way but great in the city. 2) Now ive read that the d17a2 has e-Vtec that kick in around 2500rpms. Is the jdm version have the same e vtec. Seems like it never kicks in. I do have a AEM ram air and a axel back if that makes a difference. Any help would be nice, seems like this is a rather unusual choice for a swap resulting in very little information.
Heavysteel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-12-2014, 09:54 PM   #2 (permalink)
D-series post SLUT

Rep Power: 21 cyanide is the fucking MAN!!!!cyanide is the fucking MAN!!!!cyanide is the fucking MAN!!!!cyanide is the fucking MAN!!!!
cyanide is the fucking MAN!!!!cyanide is the fucking MAN!!!!cyanide is the fucking MAN!!!!cyanide is the fucking MAN!!!!cyanide is the fucking MAN!!!!cyanide is the fucking MAN!!!!cyanide is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 16 reviews

JDM equivalents usually have a bit more compression owing to different pistons. By e-vtec, do you mean 2 vtec solenoids? If so, you can check on the head if it has that.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
cyanide is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-13-2014, 11:59 AM   #3 (permalink)
n00b

E vetc kicks in around 2500 ive been told, only one solenoid. It seem to run ok on the usdm ecu but seems like its not running perfect. Everyone on 7th gen say the d17a2 has e vetc, but it seems like there is a small pop around 5k I thought maybe it was time for a new solenoid.

Old 06-13-2014, 12:05 PM   #4 (permalink)
D-Series cadet

Rep Power: 6 DontGrabMeThere is a name known to allDontGrabMeThere is a name known to allDontGrabMeThere is a name known to allDontGrabMeThere is a name known to allDontGrabMeThere is a name known to allDontGrabMeThere is a name known to allDontGrabMeThere is a name known to allDontGrabMeThere is a name known to allDontGrabMeThere is a name known to all
iTrader Score: 4 reviews

Definately need a bigger solenoid for a louder pop do you have your transmission one hooked up
DontGrabMeThere is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-13-2014, 12:13 PM   #5 (permalink)
n00b

I was not aware that the d17a had more then one solenoid, where on the trans is it located?
Old 06-13-2014, 12:24 PM   #6 (permalink)
D-Series cadet

Rep Power: 6 DontGrabMeThere is a name known to allDontGrabMeThere is a name known to allDontGrabMeThere is a name known to allDontGrabMeThere is a name known to allDontGrabMeThere is a name known to allDontGrabMeThere is a name known to allDontGrabMeThere is a name known to allDontGrabMeThere is a name known to allDontGrabMeThere is a name known to all

Sorry i was trolling. No you do not need a different vtec solenoid. You may want to clean it. From what you are discribing you may have gotten an hx motor equilavent slightly different with 3 stage vtec. Im not very familiar with your body style but i would just drive it as is
*economy vtec not 3 stage sorry*

Last edited by DontGrabMeThere; 06-13-2014 at 02:07 PM.
DontGrabMeThere is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-14-2014, 02:51 PM   #7 (permalink)
All powerful D-series member

Rep Power: 22 HondaDNA is the fucking MAN!!!!HondaDNA is the fucking MAN!!!!HondaDNA is the fucking MAN!!!!
HondaDNA is the fucking MAN!!!!HondaDNA is the fucking MAN!!!!HondaDNA is the fucking MAN!!!!HondaDNA is the fucking MAN!!!!HondaDNA is the fucking MAN!!!!HondaDNA is the fucking MAN!!!!HondaDNA is the fucking MAN!!!!HondaDNA is the fucking MAN!!!!HondaDNA is the fucking MAN!!!!HondaDNA is the fucking MAN!!!!HondaDNA is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 6 reviews
Send a message via AIM to HondaDNA

The 01-05 Civic had a different VTEC system then the rest of the D series family. The D17A2 was VTEC-E but wasn't marketed that way in the US. The HX was VTEC-E but also added lean burn.

Now there were two D17A's one with lean burn and one without, the only way I know to find a lean burn engine is they only had CVT trannys

EDIT: I may be wrong about the "only had CVT's"....

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
Funny enough, Honda did a writeup on how to do that because it is one if the most difficult things to do to...

Last edited by HondaDNA; 06-14-2014 at 07:58 PM.
HondaDNA is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-17-2014, 07:13 PM   #8 (permalink)
n00b

Well I have done a bit of driving over the last week. Seems like there is not a noticeable vtec pop any where. Nothing at 2500-3000 or around 5000. I know its a vetc motor, I just am trying to really figure out if its the ecu (because its usdm) and the jdm motor does have a different kind of vetc or its the solenoid. Just seems like theres no kick or any kind of change in the rmps. Hell my d16z6 in my del sol had 240k and you could still feel it kick in.
Old 06-17-2014, 07:22 PM   #9 (permalink)
the artist formerly known as drexelstudent11

Rep Power: 28 shoebox_civic Still a JDM Star....shoebox_civic Still a JDM Star....
shoebox_civic Still a JDM Star....shoebox_civic Still a JDM Star....
iTrader Score: 14 reviews
Send a message via AIM to shoebox_civic

that's because it's a garbage 7th gen with a garbage d17a economy vtec motor.
90 Skyline GT-R - HKS Drager exhaust, RSR downpipe, metal wheel turbos
shoebox_civic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-18-2014, 07:54 AM   #10 (permalink)
n00b

Seems like a lot of people on this forum are here just to talk sh*t and really dont know much of anything. If you are going to be rude then keep it off the thread.
Old 06-18-2014, 07:59 AM   #11 (permalink)

Rep Power: 29 Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 1 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavysteel View Post
Seems like a lot of people on this forum are here just to talk sh*t and really dont know much of anything. If you are going to be rude then keep it off the thread.
Im sorry that you bought the wrong civic. That is not our fault.
Full_Tilt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-18-2014, 08:00 AM   #12 (permalink)
\/Your Mom Was Here\/

Rep Power: 54 BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 11 reviews

As much as you don't like the answer shoebox is giving you he is right. I own a 7th gen and will still say it, I do not feel Vtec engage in my d17a2 at all.

2005 Civic EX Sedan (ES2)

You will be missed but not forgotten.

Quote:
I actually jerk off to my rep points, neg rep makes me thumb my bung, what now brown cow? I finished twice.
BeerDrinkin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-18-2014, 09:45 AM   #13 (permalink)

Rep Power: 22 HondaDNA is the fucking MAN!!!!HondaDNA is the fucking MAN!!!!HondaDNA is the fucking MAN!!!!
HondaDNA is the fucking MAN!!!!HondaDNA is the fucking MAN!!!!HondaDNA is the fucking MAN!!!!HondaDNA is the fucking MAN!!!!HondaDNA is the fucking MAN!!!!HondaDNA is the fucking MAN!!!!HondaDNA is the fucking MAN!!!!HondaDNA is the fucking MAN!!!!HondaDNA is the fucking MAN!!!!HondaDNA is the fucking MAN!!!!HondaDNA is the fucking MAN!!!!

Like I have already said the D17A is VTEC-e too, you wont "feel" VTEC engage, put a test light in series with the VTEC spool valve (solenoid) and it'll light up when it engages

Quote:
Funny enough, Honda did a writeup on how to do that because it is one if the most difficult things to do to...
Old 06-18-2014, 11:19 AM   #14 (permalink)
D-series lover

Rep Power: 10 maohonda smells like Boratmaohonda smells like Boratmaohonda smells like Boratmaohonda smells like Boratmaohonda smells like Borat

What do you concider bad gas milage? Dose it lack power at all it don't have to be fast. dose it pull the car well or have issues doing so. That engine was made for lowend tq not the upper rpm like the other vtec engines.

Also what speed are you doing on the hwy if its above like 65 your gas milage will start to drop. The d17a I think is a solid car just not oriented around performance just good running car.

maohonda is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-18-2014, 11:47 AM   #15 (permalink)
Well.......

Rep Power: 31 2drz6 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2drz6 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2drz6 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2drz6 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
2drz6 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2drz6 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2drz6 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2drz6 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2drz6 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2drz6 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2drz6 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2drz6 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2drz6 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2drz6 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2drz6 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2drz6 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2drz6 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 18 reviews

Quote:
Ok guys I have an 05 honda civic ex with manual trans. When I bought it the D17a2 had a blown head gasket, so instead of fixing it I bought a JDM D17A. Now it was plug and play for the most part, did have to use the USDM throttle body to still have cruise control. Here are my questions that I cant seem to find any answers to. 1) do I need the JDM ECU, I was told the usdm ecu would be fine. But my car seems to get bad mpg on the high way but great in the city. 2) Now ive read that the d17a2 has e-Vtec that kick in around 2500rpms. Is the jdm version have the same e vtec. Seems like it never kicks in. I do have a AEM ram air and a axel back if that makes a difference. Any help would be nice, seems like this is a rather unusual choice for a swap resulting in very little information.
Quote:
E vetc kicks in around 2500 ive been told, only one solenoid. It seem to run ok on the usdm ecu but seems like its not running perfect. Everyone on 7th gen say the d17a2 has e vetc, but it seems like there is a small pop around 5k I thought maybe it was time for a new solenoid.
If you want your Vtec to "pop" or feel it "kick in" yo, you will need to remove the engine engine and put in (Insert any alphabet letter minus the D here) series.

When VTEC "pops" or "kicks in" yo, on a single cam it is not going to cause earth shattering end of the world, hole tearing in the fabric of time feeling.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DontGrabMeThere View Post
Definately need a bigger solenoid for a louder pop do you have your transmission one hooked up
Quote:
I was not aware that the d17a had more then one solenoid, where on the trans is it located?

See what you did there lol

Quote:
Well I have done a bit of driving over the last week. Seems like there is not a noticeable vtec pop any where. Nothing at 2500-3000 or around 5000. I know its a vetc motor, I just am trying to really figure out if its the ecu (because its usdm) and the jdm motor does have a different kind of vetc or its the solenoid. Just seems like theres no kick or any kind of change in the rmps. Hell my d16z6 in my del sol had 240k and you could still feel it kick in.
dude are you even old enough to drive yet?

Quote:
Welcome to the forum homebre. You want all this vtec that be "popping" and "kicking in yo" on an engine that was designed to have better gas mileage.

your mother should spank your butt and put you in time out.

2drz6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-18-2014, 12:44 PM   #16 (permalink)
wise in the ways of the D

Rep Power: 44 Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !

Quote:
They stop laughing at your piece of shit when they can only see it through your dust.
R.I.P. - NN4S
R.I.P. - Cali Noob

You guys are gone but never forgotten, we live each day to the fullest for you, who cannot see the new day we often forget is amazing.

xbox gamer tag: angeloah
Whoshot is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-19-2014, 06:31 AM   #17 (permalink)
n00b

Ok apparently I have to be more forwards about my question or a bunch of dumb ass people who I guess sit at home all day and think there so funny will post nothing that has to do with what I want to know. First of I dont give a shit if its fast or it vtec kicks in hard. It was a simple question to see if others with this motor or the A2 have the same results. As of the bad MPG, I can get upper 30's all day if I stay bellow 60, on the high way when im doing 70 im getting low 20's. Im am pretty sure that has to do with having a usdm ecu running a jdm motor. Im just open to realistic answers or other reasons this could be happening. I also agree 7th gen are slow, once again IDGAF. And for the dude that felt the need to quote everything. You want to ask me if im old enough to drive yet your the person who went out of there way to act like a child. Grow up dont want to help fine. For the dude that said there I was a solenoid on the transmission, no shit theres not one. God forbids I am nice enough to let the dude explain him self.
Old 06-19-2014, 07:32 AM   #18 (permalink)

What condition are the plugs in? How old is the o2? Do you have a CEL(Check Engine Light)? I see you are in Ohio, do you buy BP gas? How do you track fuel usage? Do you drive city more then highway? When driving normal, what rpm do you shift at?

Quote:
Old 06-20-2014, 10:32 AM   #19 (permalink)
n00b

Plugs are new, both O2's are new and no CEL's. I use the trip odometer and I shift at 2k-3k, i do not ise BP gas at all only speedway. Lately bi have been doing a lot more city driving to get more use out of my fuel. When im on the highway herebin ohio the speed limit jumps from 65-70 and at 65 my rpms are around upper 3k almost 4k.
Old 06-20-2014, 09:47 PM   #20 (permalink)

Ohio has what is called oxygenated gas, meaning a lot of it has ethanol in it (usually only 10% but BP uses more to "invigorate" it). More ethanol the less mile per gallon you'll get. This is why I asked about the gas. At 65 your RPM is 4K?! Something is off with that. What size tires do you have? It sounds off but Honda's like to be rev'd, so short shifting actually lessens your mileage too. 3-3.5K RPM is a better shift point for 1st-3rd.

I'm still lost that at 65mph you're almost at 4k rpm? According to the specs a Ex tranny should be at 2987rpm.

Code:
3.143	1.870	1.241	0.970	0.757	3.231		4.412
  1st    2nd   3rd      4th      5th      R                  final
2001 Honda Civic Sedan Specifications - Honda.com
Honda Transmission Calculator by ZealAutowerks

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	4188
Size:	62.6 KB
ID:	67250   Click image for larger version

Name:	2.jpg
Views:	4166
Size:	67.4 KB
ID:	67258  

Quote:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
7thgen, d17a, jdm

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in