overheating issue. please help. - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org Motor Mayhem & Suspension Satisfaction 7th Gen

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-05-2013, 10:33 AM   #1 (permalink)

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Default overheating issue. please help.

I have an 05 civic that had an overheating issue, but i blew that motor. Just dropped another d17a2 in it march 2013. It is still having overheating issues. If i drive then it runs fine. When i stop it overheats. Fans arent turning on. If i turn on the ac the fans both run. Replaced thermostat, fan switch, coolant temp switch, relays, and did 3 flushs. Fans still will not run with ac off. Ive narrowed it down to this...if i take the thermostat out and switch it to another one, fill it up and get out all bubbles, it works. When i put the cap on, the fans turn off and on like they are supposed to. After a while (minutes-days), the fans wont work again unless ac is on. I am stumped and cannot figure out this issue. Once they stop working, if i take out the thermostat and put it back, fill it up, get out the air, it runs normal. But only for a little while. Its a continuous cycle. Idk why draining that little bit of coolant makes it work. Its very frustrating and i cant find anything online to tell me what to do. All switches and relays are working fine. Please reply with any helpful info. This is my daily driver and i want it to be fully working. Let me know if theres anything i forgot to mention. Thanks in advance.

7:06 cst...i just replaced the radiator cap and everything seems to be working fine. I'll post in a week or two if this solves the issue. Sorry for wasting ur time.

Last edited by oz33916; 08-05-2013 at 04:09 PM. Reason: changed radiator cap
oz33916 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-12-2013, 07:38 AM   #2 (permalink)
D-series lover

Rep Power: 7 Alston3ptSwish is almost a somebodyAlston3ptSwish is almost a somebodyAlston3ptSwish is almost a somebodyAlston3ptSwish is almost a somebody

" If i drive then it runs fine. When i stop it overheats. Fans arent turning on"
Congrats you just diagnosed your first issue of why your car is overheating....
Alston3ptSwish is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-12-2013, 07:43 AM   #3 (permalink)
D-series lover

Rep Power: 7 Alston3ptSwish is almost a somebodyAlston3ptSwish is almost a somebodyAlston3ptSwish is almost a somebodyAlston3ptSwish is almost a somebody

Just a stab at it, maybe the rad fan motor is taking a shit if its intermediate like that. If it does start to over heat on you at a light, crank your fan speed up to max and the heat up to max so your heatercore will take away some heat. That'll work as something temporary so you don't have to be worried about overheating everytime you stop.

I don't see how the radiator cap would effect your fan from coming on though. if anything it would either keep your coolant temp low if its defective and not allowing coolant pressure to build up OR make your coolant run hotter if its sealed too well. But either way your functioning of the fan should still work
Alston3ptSwish is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2013, 08:31 AM   #4 (permalink)
D-series post SLUT

Rep Power: 15 CaliLegal is hot as a volcanoCaliLegal is hot as a volcano
CaliLegal is hot as a volcanoCaliLegal is hot as a volcanoCaliLegal is hot as a volcanoCaliLegal is hot as a volcanoCaliLegal is hot as a volcanoCaliLegal is hot as a volcanoCaliLegal is hot as a volcanoCaliLegal is hot as a volcanoCaliLegal is hot as a volcanoCaliLegal is hot as a volcano
iTrader Score: 5 reviews

You can always hard wire the fan switch.....

New - 5/25/12
.002 P2W
75.5mm Z6
TD04H 15G @ 22.6psi ??WHP

Quote:
?
Put a new motor in?
Dont race your car?
If you see smoke don't insert face?
If any of this confuses you die!
R.I.P - Pat Primmer
CaliLegal is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-14-2013, 02:49 PM   #5 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 10 b16racereg6 is a name known to allb16racereg6 is a name known to allb16racereg6 is a name known to allb16racereg6 is a name known to allb16racereg6 is a name known to allb16racereg6 is a name known to allb16racereg6 is a name known to allb16racereg6 is a name known to allb16racereg6 is a name known to allb16racereg6 is a name known to all
iTrader Score: 8 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alston3ptSwish View Post
" If i drive then it runs fine. When i stop it overheats. Fans arent turning on"
Congrats you just diagnosed your first issue of why your car is overheating....
Lol truth + rep
b16racereg6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-17-2013, 06:39 AM   #6 (permalink)
D-series lover

Yes without the fan the radiator gets heat soaked while your at a stand still. Radiator needs airflow to cool thimgs down. I'd wire the fan to a switch till you figure it. It would suck to lose a motor cause you got stuck in traffic for a couple hours.
dcmatt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-03-2014, 12:08 PM   #7 (permalink)

sorry i took so long to reply. i am in the army and have been really busy. well i still havent been able to fix the issue. replaced the cap and that worked for a few days but the fans still wont work without the ac being on. so i have been running it either with heat on max with no re-circulation or running the ac. very frustrated since i am planning on boosting soon and this is still a big issue. i am going to replace the radiator next and see if that helps. if not once i go to turbo the water pump is getting replaced when i replace timing belt. any other ideas on what it could be? i have burped system many times and has not helped.
Old 01-03-2014, 05:28 PM   #8 (permalink)
D-series post SLUT

JoelEspinoza is hot as a volcanoJoelEspinoza is hot as a volcanoJoelEspinoza is hot as a volcanoJoelEspinoza is hot as a volcanoJoelEspinoza is hot as a volcanoJoelEspinoza is hot as a volcanoJoelEspinoza is hot as a volcanoJoelEspinoza is hot as a volcanoJoelEspinoza is hot as a volcanoJoelEspinoza is hot as a volcanoJoelEspinoza is hot as a volcanoJoelEspinoza is hot as a volcano

It sounds like air is getting in your system and possibly creating an air pocket where your sensor is and causing it to not read correctly. Is it possible your headgasket has a small leak and it is pumping air into your coolant system?

In the mean time look at the fan wires, if the fan is powered by a blue and a black wire, trace the blue wire and see if it goes into a fan relay. If it does try grounding it and turning on the key and see if the fan comes on.
Old 01-03-2014, 05:35 PM   #9 (permalink)

Im thinking the same thing. I think the radiator isnt flowing right and causing the coolant not to touch the sensor. And theres no need for me to test the fans anymore. I have already said that the fans work.
Old 01-03-2014, 05:43 PM   #10 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 7 mitchwbr is obviously a regularmitchwbr is obviously a regularmitchwbr is obviously a regularmitchwbr is obviously a regularmitchwbr is obviously a regularmitchwbr is obviously a regularmitchwbr is obviously a regularmitchwbr is obviously a regular

I was having the same problem the fins were bent so bad on the radiator it kept blowing the fuse on the fan when it turned on. New rads arent that much its worth a shot
mitchwbr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-03-2014, 05:51 PM   #11 (permalink)

Thats what im gonna try. I am gonna order a rad on the 15th and see if that fixes it. If not then once i replace the water pump hopefully it stops then. I'll keep u guys posted. Thanks for your help.
Old 01-03-2014, 05:57 PM   #12 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 7 mitchwbr is obviously a regularmitchwbr is obviously a regularmitchwbr is obviously a regularmitchwbr is obviously a regularmitchwbr is obviously a regularmitchwbr is obviously a regularmitchwbr is obviously a regularmitchwbr is obviously a regular

Try it out let us know man
Old 01-05-2014, 05:56 PM   #13 (permalink)
D-series post SLUT

JoelEspinoza is hot as a volcanoJoelEspinoza is hot as a volcanoJoelEspinoza is hot as a volcanoJoelEspinoza is hot as a volcanoJoelEspinoza is hot as a volcanoJoelEspinoza is hot as a volcanoJoelEspinoza is hot as a volcanoJoelEspinoza is hot as a volcanoJoelEspinoza is hot as a volcanoJoelEspinoza is hot as a volcanoJoelEspinoza is hot as a volcanoJoelEspinoza is hot as a volcano

Quote:
Originally Posted by oz33916 View Post
theres no need for me to test the fans anymore. I have already said that the fans work.
Sorry if I made that sound like a fan test.... I meant to wire the grounds together so the fan turns on whenever the key is on. Not as efficient as the stock system, but a TON better than melting your engine.
Old 01-05-2014, 06:11 PM   #14 (permalink)
D-series soldier

I thought about doing that at one point also but remember its best to try and find out the original problem instead of covering it up with more.....
Old 01-05-2014, 08:04 PM   #15 (permalink)
D-series post SLUT

Its not a permanent solution. But you can do it with a paperclip in about 30 seconds if you know where the fan relay is and can access it easily. Removing it is just as fast.

And I would agree that you should find the real problem, but in the mean time you are killing your engine and expiring all your seals and gaskets. Thats not a good thing.
Old 01-20-2014, 01:01 PM   #16 (permalink)

Well i just replaced the radiator today and the fans still dont work on their own. Im at a loss. The old radiator was more bent than i thought. It looked like it had been kicked in. But this one is new and still doesnt work. Idk what else to do.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
cooling, overheating, radiator, thermostat

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in