7th gen mod/performance tip thread - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org Motor Mayhem & Suspension Satisfaction 7th Gen

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-03-2005, 03:38 AM   #1 (permalink)
dinglenuts

Default 7th gen mod/performance tip thread

ok, as all other d17 owners, I'm considiering losing the d17 and going k20, but if we had a resourse for actual useful,reliable building/turbo mods and such, including pros and cons, maybe some of our d's will be respeced in the coming years, seeing as civics are are probably going k now. I want a swap,but can't justify the price, but a built d17 would still be fun, lets get some info going on d series that is actually good for a respectable build that won't seem like a total waste of money. Right now, I'm predicting this engine will get no love, because no one is dedicated, and its now seeing the end of its production. I see it as a negative blip in honda's reputation, but with help, I'm sure it can be a fun street car.We need resources and tips, so lets get it going now and show these other d's that the d17 isn't a p.o.s. :jesus:
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-04-2005, 03:54 AM   #2 (permalink)
The H Badge is it!

Rep Power: 20 SOHC_Rules is hot as a volcanoSOHC_Rules is hot as a volcano
SOHC_Rules is hot as a volcano
iTrader Score: 30 reviews
Send a message via AIM to SOHC_Rules

it's single cam, hardly anything if anything at all is interchangable with any other d-series motor, it makes crap power and it has an o2 sensor after the stock cat. Basically...
  1. Single cam means harder to fine tune for turbo. Also, there isnt many after market premade ones so a regrind is in order.
  2. Nothing interchangable basically a Homemade turbo setup is that much harder to do. Also, this also includes heads so upping compression like that is out of the question. Trannys also are not interchangable.
  3. Yeah, sure it makes like 117 chp. I'm making more than that now with about $500 modification, or 1 week's check.. but mine's at the wheels.
  4. The o2 sensor after the cat means that you'd have to get a fake o2 sensor to trick the ecu into thinking its working right if you get an exhaust. It's a pain in the ass.
  5. The compression calculator doesn't even have this motor listed.. (http://www.knology.net/~jediklc/dcalc.htm)

There is some after market out there for your motor though. I've seen adjustable cam gears, you can still get a regrind, you can swap a 7thgen vtec head onto it (if you dont have vtec) and if you dont have an ex you can swap that tranny into it.

Basically interchangable parts are limited to other 7th gens.
Old 04-04-2005, 06:33 AM   #3 (permalink)
All powerful D-series member

custom_junky is a Top Aussiecustom_junky is a Top Aussiecustom_junky is a Top Aussiecustom_junky is a Top Aussiecustom_junky is a Top Aussiecustom_junky is a Top Aussiecustom_junky is a Top Aussiecustom_junky is a Top Aussiecustom_junky is a Top Aussiecustom_junky is a Top Aussiecustom_junky is a Top Aussie
iTrader Score: 4 reviews

^^that all may be true, but you CAN make decent HP out of these motors. 200+ has easily been reached, and the new cams and head work is towards the end of R&D, i know that rage is researching a header for the d17, and exospeed is working on new heads and head work for the d17. there is always the p&p jobs, and AEM is starting to come up with the EMS, i'll guess in about 2 years that aftermarket for the d17 will be quite a bit bigger. remember the d17 threw all the aftermarket people off wack, and it wasn't until 02/03 that they started to get back on their feet again, so it's gonna take some time, they have only had about 2-3 years really working on the motor.

just my $.02

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
There's two things in life you never want people to know about you...
1. You know how to work on cars.
2. You know how to work on computers.

You my friend are cursed with this info being out in the open.
^ little truth ^

R.I.P. Milo
R.I.P. PatPrimmer
custom_junky is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2005, 11:04 AM   #4 (permalink)
The H Badge is it!

Rep Power: 20 SOHC_Rules is hot as a volcanoSOHC_Rules is hot as a volcano
SOHC_Rules is hot as a volcano
iTrader Score: 30 reviews
Send a message via AIM to SOHC_Rules

Quote:
Originally Posted by junky
i'll guess in about 2 years that aftermarket for the d17 will be quite a bit bigger. remember the d17 threw all the aftermarket people off wack, and it wasn't until 02/03 that they started to get back on their feet again
this is very true. all the aftermarket companies have been focusing on obd0-2a and when the d17 came out with its obd2b ecu it threw off whack BIG TIME. the d17 suffers because interchangability is low and aftermarket is being developed. if a company had gotten hold of one of these bad boys before they came out, everything would have been fine... the market would have braced for impact..
Old 04-05-2005, 11:48 AM   #5 (permalink)

iTrader Score: 0 reviews

dc sports has finally released the 4-2-1 race headers for the ex so thats something to look for.
Jspek_Inspired is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-06-2005, 09:09 AM   #6 (permalink)

berettagtz117 is a Top Aussieberettagtz117 is a Top Aussieberettagtz117 is a Top Aussieberettagtz117 is a Top Aussieberettagtz117 is a Top Aussieberettagtz117 is a Top Aussieberettagtz117 is a Top Aussieberettagtz117 is a Top Aussieberettagtz117 is a Top Aussieberettagtz117 is a Top Aussieberettagtz117 is a Top Aussie
iTrader Score: 17 reviews

www.truehonda.com
There is alot of stuff here for New Civics..
berettagtz117 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-07-2005, 11:31 PM   #7 (permalink)
exospeed*com

we did a prototype design on some high compression pistons and turbo pistons with 75.5mm bore for the D17. We just dont get any calls on building up those motors, if you guys spread the word at 7thgencivic.com, and we get enough interest. We'll stock those pistons.
Old 05-22-2005, 09:13 AM   #8 (permalink)
GoNeIn60

Some Sohc D17 performance camshafts would be nice, i hear that give pretty good hp gains
Old 05-22-2005, 04:43 PM   #9 (permalink)

Rep Power: 0 boostREX is learning the way of the DboostREX is learning the way of the D
iTrader Score: 1 reviews

Here is what you do.. Have a 01 DX with DX motor. Use AEM V2 intake, AEM cam gear, Aftermarket EX header, Random Technologies Cat. Conv., Skunk2 Exhaust, Stage 3 Clutch and Lightweight Flywheel, AEM Pulleys, Apex'i SAFC, Something like the Sun Auto grounding and hyper voltage system, and if that doesnt get you into the 14s which it should, then get some nitrous...

p.s. oh ya and get some EX pistons.. higher compression, and the reason I say get a DX motor is cause they respond better to mods than the EX, plus they dont have an EGR system.. way better gains and alot better torque with the non vtec motor..
boostREX is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-22-2005, 05:52 PM   #10 (permalink)
GoNeIn60

well i have an Lx with headers, short ram intake, Aem underdrive pulleys and i've been trying to find some low comp. pistons so i can handle alot of boost from a turbo and i'd like a performance camshaft
Old 05-23-2005, 02:19 PM   #11 (permalink)
dinglenuts

I don;t know about the dx motor with all the bolt ons, are you sure your thinking of a d17a1? I think what has to happen is new rods and pistons in my ex motor, stronger aftermarket headgasket,studs, bolt on turbo kit, return fuel system, and lots o tuning. Correct me if I'm wrong? I do realize the a1 is initally better due to lower compression, but I'm not swapping a d17 for a d17, plus I've babied this engine. The only problem is that damn k20 on my mind. Its only like an extra grand or two to go that route.
Old 05-23-2005, 07:31 PM   #12 (permalink)

Rep Power: 0 boostREX is learning the way of the DboostREX is learning the way of the D

Im just saying that all around the D17A1 motor is a better performance motor. IE it responds better to mods plus has almost just as much power as the EX motor, plus it doesnt suffer from that crappy EGR. I know that I could have run 14s in my 01 DX if I hadnt f'ed up 3rd gear and woulda got some more parts on it. If I ever mod it out again I will probably run an EX tranny. g'luck
boostREX is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-26-2005, 07:50 PM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by boostREX
Here is what you do.. Have a 01 DX with DX motor. Use AEM V2 intake, AEM cam gear, Aftermarket EX header, Random Technologies Cat. Conv., Skunk2 Exhaust, Stage 3 Clutch and Lightweight Flywheel, AEM Pulleys, Apex'i SAFC, Something like the Sun Auto grounding and hyper voltage system, and if that doesnt get you into the 14s which it should, then get some nitrous...

p.s. oh ya and get some EX pistons.. higher compression, and the reason I say get a DX motor is cause they respond better to mods than the EX, plus they dont have an EGR system.. way better gains and alot better torque with the non vtec motor..
I'm almost there. Missing a few from your list. Clutch, lightened flywheel and an SAFC would probally put me at a mid to high 14. In due time. Probally goona go N20 first though.
redline04 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-27-2005, 09:18 AM   #14 (permalink)
grbudd

Default cams

Just to let you know Crower now has cams avail for the D17A2 (ex only). Should help us out with adding power.
Old 05-27-2005, 01:03 PM   #15 (permalink)
All powerful D-series member

custom_junky is a Top Aussiecustom_junky is a Top Aussiecustom_junky is a Top Aussiecustom_junky is a Top Aussiecustom_junky is a Top Aussiecustom_junky is a Top Aussiecustom_junky is a Top Aussiecustom_junky is a Top Aussiecustom_junky is a Top Aussiecustom_junky is a Top Aussiecustom_junky is a Top Aussie
iTrader Score: 4 reviews

^^sweet....

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
There's two things in life you never want people to know about you...
1. You know how to work on cars.
2. You know how to work on computers.

You my friend are cursed with this info being out in the open.
^ little truth ^

R.I.P. Milo
R.I.P. PatPrimmer
custom_junky is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-30-2005, 08:24 AM   #16 (permalink)

Rep Power: 0 Tobias is a name known to allTobias is a name known to allTobias is a name known to allTobias is a name known to allTobias is a name known to allTobias is a name known to allTobias is a name known to allTobias is a name known to allTobias is a name known to all

So hows about a new intake manifold?
Tobias is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-31-2005, 07:49 AM   #17 (permalink)
grbudd

Default intake mani

The only one I've heard of is by KMS. Didn't get good reviews. A guy on 7thgencivic.com modded a Y8 intake manifold and saw some good gains. I guess with time more stuff will come out.
Old 06-05-2005, 09:17 AM   #18 (permalink)

Rep Power: 0 Tobias is a name known to allTobias is a name known to allTobias is a name known to allTobias is a name known to allTobias is a name known to allTobias is a name known to allTobias is a name known to allTobias is a name known to allTobias is a name known to all

Anybody have any info on how to do a rear camber install?
Tobias is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-06-2005, 08:57 PM   #19 (permalink)

well, I found out about the 4-2-1 DC Sports header that was made for the D17A2 was for sale...so I figured that I would go and get one...well I went to RIDE REV. in johnson city and priced it through them...and the said that it was $525 plus tax!!! That is fu**ing retarded!!!
Anyways...does anyone know if the D17A2 has a metal type of head gasket? I dont wanna pay $185 for the head gasket set. I might just pull the head really slowly for a port and polish job. Oh yeah. I found some Skunk2 lowering springs for the 04 EX for $156...I will be getting them SOON!!! 2" drop.
Sweet2K4EX is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-06-2005, 08:58 PM   #20 (permalink)

oh yeah...has anyone tried out those "Missing Links"??? I hear that they work? But I want youralls opinions!!! Let me know.
Sweet2K4EX is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in