7th Gen Noob questions - please help - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org Motor Mayhem & Suspension Satisfaction 7th Gen

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-25-2005, 10:11 AM   #1 (permalink)
All powerful D-series member

Rep Power: 25 speedfoos is the fucking MAN!!!!speedfoos is the fucking MAN!!!!speedfoos is the fucking MAN!!!!speedfoos is the fucking MAN!!!!
speedfoos is the fucking MAN!!!!speedfoos is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 22 reviews
Default 7th Gen Noob questions - please help

OK guys, I just joined the forum and have a few questions. Let me give you a little backround on my situation....
I'm stationed in Germany and happened to stumble across the deal of the century (I think so anyway). An '03 Civic EX Coupe (D17A2) with some hail damage - some I say, the insurance company totaled it out and paid it off - , 20K on the odometer, with 18" Konigs, a coilover kit with a 3'' drop, and a virgin engine. All this with a decent stereo for $3,000. I couldn't pass it up, so I sold my '89 BMW 730i (this beast does 230K on the Autobahn like a dream) to buy this Honda. I have owned a '97 Civic DX - loved it - and an '87 Rex - oh the 3bbl bliss I had from that little monster. Anyway....I love to tinker and couldn't tell you a thing about compression ratios or cam shaft measurements, so I am going to stick to bolt-on performance upgrades - and maybe a big-azz wing because its makes it look fast! j/k - so I would like some advice from the resident experts.
I am looking at the Ebay bargain deals and I see no-name parts for a reasonable price, which will also pass the spousal budget requirement. Here are a couple Ebay items of some stuff that I wonder if I could get an opinion on. No-name JDM headers and downpipes? BOMZ intakes?
Ebay Items: 7963057456, 7964122572, 7964132492, 7963952517.

Thanks guys!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|
speedfoos is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-25-2005, 10:57 AM   #2 (permalink)
bradmanuwf

hey man, IM me on aim and we can talk and discuss items. I have an 03 ex also. it will be easier on aim than on forum.
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-25-2005, 11:17 AM   #3 (permalink)
bradmanuwf

you want this intake, but only use the top part of it. use it as an sri cause the cai on our cars sucks up a lot of water because of filter positioning. 7963947786

you want this high flow cat. 7964010424

this header. 7964165224

and this exhaust. deep sounding and good quality. 7962808590

Old 03-25-2005, 11:33 AM   #4 (permalink)
Premium Member

Location: In Pennsyltucky about 6 1/2 hours under civic4VW & 2.5hrs above Mods! (The sticks away from people)
Rep Power: 33 Rexinre is the fucking MAN!!!!Rexinre is the fucking MAN!!!!Rexinre is the fucking MAN!!!!Rexinre is the fucking MAN!!!!
Rexinre is the fucking MAN!!!!Rexinre is the fucking MAN!!!!Rexinre is the fucking MAN!!!!Rexinre is the fucking MAN!!!!Rexinre is the fucking MAN!!!!Rexinre is the fucking MAN!!!!Rexinre is the fucking MAN!!!!Rexinre is the fucking MAN!!!!Rexinre is the fucking MAN!!!!Rexinre is the fucking MAN!!!!Rexinre is the fucking MAN!!!!Rexinre is the fucking MAN!!!!Rexinre is the fucking MAN!!!!Rexinre is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 11 reviews
Send a message via MSN to Rexinre Send a message via Skype™ to Rexinre

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedfoos
OK guys, I just joined the forum and have a few questions. Let me give you a little backround on my situation....
I'm stationed in Germany and happened to stumble across the deal of the century (I think so anyway). An '03 Civic EX Coupe (D17A2) with some hail damage - some I say, the insurance company totaled it out and paid it off - , 20K on the odometer, with 18" Konigs, a coilover kit with a 3'' drop, and a virgin engine. All this with a decent stereo for $3,000. I couldn't pass it up, so I sold my '89 BMW 730i (this beast does 230K on the Autobahn like a dream) to buy this Honda. I have owned a '97 Civic DX - loved it - and an '87 Rex - oh the 3bbl bliss I had from that little monster. Anyway....I love to tinker and couldn't tell you a thing about compression ratios or cam shaft measurements, so I am going to stick to bolt-on performance upgrades - and maybe a big-azz wing because its makes it look fast! j/k - so I would like some advice from the resident experts.
I am looking at the Ebay bargain deals and I see no-name parts for a reasonable price, which will also pass the spousal budget requirement. Here are a couple Ebay items of some stuff that I wonder if I could get an opinion on. No-name JDM headers and downpipes? BOMZ intakes?
Ebay Items: 7963057456, 7964122572, 7964132492, 7963952517.

Thanks guys!
Welcome to the site... Love the avatar, where in Germany are you stationed? I was there for a while back in 98.

Check out my civic build here -->

Rexinre is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-25-2005, 11:37 AM   #5 (permalink)

Rep Power: 25 speedfoos is the fucking MAN!!!!speedfoos is the fucking MAN!!!!speedfoos is the fucking MAN!!!!speedfoos is the fucking MAN!!!!

Definitely appreciate the advice. If only I could get folks on Ebay to wrap their heads around the idea that shipping to an APO address only costs what it would take to get it to NY....

This may be a stupid question but why is this stuff so daggone cheap? I understand the paying for a name bit, it just seems odd that you can replace from the manifold all the way through the ass-end of the muffler for less than 400 bucks. But I've learned to not look a gift Honda in the mouth - at least not too closely. Thanks again!

|
|
|
Old 03-25-2005, 11:39 AM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rexinre
Welcome to the site... Love the avatar, where in Germany are you stationed? I was there for a while back in 98.
Thanks for the welcome. I'm stationed in beautiful Darmstadt - about 25km south of Frankfurt. Needless to say I'm working hard for a transfer up to England...

|
|
|
Old 03-25-2005, 11:43 AM   #7 (permalink)
Premium Member

Location: In Pennsyltucky about 6 1/2 hours under civic4VW & 2.5hrs above Mods! (The sticks away from people)
Rep Power: 33 Rexinre is the fucking MAN!!!!Rexinre is the fucking MAN!!!!Rexinre is the fucking MAN!!!!Rexinre is the fucking MAN!!!!
Rexinre is the fucking MAN!!!!Rexinre is the fucking MAN!!!!Rexinre is the fucking MAN!!!!Rexinre is the fucking MAN!!!!Rexinre is the fucking MAN!!!!Rexinre is the fucking MAN!!!!Rexinre is the fucking MAN!!!!Rexinre is the fucking MAN!!!!Rexinre is the fucking MAN!!!!Rexinre is the fucking MAN!!!!Rexinre is the fucking MAN!!!!Rexinre is the fucking MAN!!!!Rexinre is the fucking MAN!!!!Rexinre is the fucking MAN!!!!

Quote:
Thanks for the welcome. I'm stationed in beautiful Darmstadt - about 25km south of Frankfurt. Needless to say I'm working hard for a transfer up to England...
Been to england too... I was stationed in Hohenfels germany (OPFOR)...

Army?

Old 03-25-2005, 11:43 AM   #8 (permalink)
bradmanuwf1

np man. its because competition drives down prices. and when you buy the expensive stuff ur only paying for a name. how much can some metal and welds cost anyway..... you know.
Old 03-25-2005, 12:02 PM   #9 (permalink)

rotory20 is hot as a volcanorotory20 is hot as a volcanorotory20 is hot as a volcanorotory20 is hot as a volcanorotory20 is hot as a volcanorotory20 is hot as a volcanorotory20 is hot as a volcanorotory20 is hot as a volcanorotory20 is hot as a volcanorotory20 is hot as a volcanorotory20 is hot as a volcanorotory20 is hot as a volcano
iTrader Score: 3 reviews

Quote:

Army?
I didnt like teh constant raining all the time..
but the ukdm parts are worth it..lol
do you have to convert your parking lights while your there or just dont drive the car at night?
rotory20 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-25-2005, 12:33 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:

Army?
Rexinre,
Given your OPFOR ref, I'm gonna guess you're either current or prior Army - likewise, but I'm still in (12 years till retirement). Needless to say I take every TDY I can back to the states - like the one I greased to get to Tampa for a week in April!

Rotory
No I don't have to convert my parking lights, although I probably would if I wanted to park her overnight in one of those type of spots. I haven't acutally taken posession of her yet either, not for 3 more weeks as the current owner needs the car a little while longer. The only problem is that he is a slob and I want to the car right now on principle. What person can already wear a hole in the floor mats after only two years!? Oh well...

Bradman,
That's what I figured. Metal is metal (to a degree) and brand names cost more.

|
|
|
Old 03-25-2005, 12:40 PM   #11 (permalink)
Premium Member

Quote:
Rexinre,
Given your OPFOR ref, I'm gonna guess you're either current or prior Army - likewise, but I'm still in (12 years till retirement). Needless to say I take every TDY I can back to the states - like the one I greased to get to Tampa for a week in April!
Tampa, nice score Big money TDY!

I am current Army for 9 years going on 10 (yikes)... Welcome to the site and good luck with the car. I don't know much about D17's but there are a lot of SME's on this site so ask away!

Rexinre

Old 03-25-2005, 03:50 PM   #12 (permalink)
Nor Cal D-series rider

Import Al It's a JDM Star Bitches....
iTrader Score: 7 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Import Al Send a message via Yahoo to Import Al

I used to drive a 01 EX vtec & bolt on gains are minimal for 7th gens. No 9+ hp intakes so get the mods you please...I would recommend a Dezod turbo kit instead these are good for NA.

Intakes: K&N's FIPK II, it has the filter inclosed from water & hot engine bay air & can produce power. I had Injen's Race Division; aem v2 its a cai so it can be exposed to hydrolock but was nice.

Headers: The HP Racing race is among the best for EX, along with Kamikaze race.

Exhaust: that one you showed looks loud. If you like that go for it, its cheap. The more toned down good ones are Magnaflow, Apexi World Sport, RS-R stock style & Thermal R&D if thats still around, and stock DC5 Integra Type R is great.

HKS Hi Power, & 5Zigen is a little louder but sounds deep, has 2" piping and has shown to keep low end power.
Import Al is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-26-2005, 12:44 AM   #13 (permalink)

Thanks to all for the advice on the bolt-ons. I definitely have some food for thought. As far as the Dezod turbo kit - that's a pipe dream for me. No way I could get a kitchen pass for that one, unless I get hooked for another deployment....hmmm....tax-free pay, hostile fire pay, hazardous duty pay.....all for a turbo kit? That bears some thought, I hear Afghanistan is nice this time of year and I haven't been there yet.

|
|
|
Old 04-01-2005, 08:19 AM   #14 (permalink)

rotory20 is hot as a volcanorotory20 is hot as a volcanorotory20 is hot as a volcanorotory20 is hot as a volcanorotory20 is hot as a volcanorotory20 is hot as a volcanorotory20 is hot as a volcanorotory20 is hot as a volcanorotory20 is hot as a volcanorotory20 is hot as a volcanorotory20 is hot as a volcanorotory20 is hot as a volcano
iTrader Score: 3 reviews

^^^its not that bad...in the spring time..lol
but the middle east is blazing around summers end...you might want to take an umbrella and some spf 4K sunblock too..
rotory20 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-09-2008, 09:39 AM   #15 (permalink)

Cough....bump....Cough.

|
|
|
Old 09-09-2008, 11:20 AM   #16 (permalink)

iTrader Score: 0 reviews

LMAO, Clint, what a fag you used to be. Ah, my boy's all growed up, lmao.
andyman97 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-09-2008, 11:32 AM   #17 (permalink)

Yeah dude, this thread is hilarious!

|
|
|
Old 09-09-2008, 11:49 AM   #18 (permalink)

andyman97 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-09-2008, 12:33 PM   #19 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 14 jamisgood is learning the way of the Djamisgood is learning the way of the D
Send a message via AIM to jamisgood

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradmanuwf View Post
you want this intake, but only use the top part of it. use it as an sri cause the cai on our cars sucks up a lot of water because of filter positioning. 7963947786

you want this high flow cat. 7964010424

this header. 7964165224

and this exhaust. deep sounding and good quality. 7962808590
This is very true!!! I drove through a puddle on the side of the road going about 35mph with minimal throttle at about 2500rpm in 4th gear and my motor hydrolocked! I still think the benefit from a CAI is still worth it though. You just need to be REALLY REALLY careful. Careful cannot be emphasized enough.

Tein Basic Damper Coilovers
Fujita CAI
HP Racing 4-1 Ceramic Header
de-catted exhaust
16" Grid Full Royal Sport Bronze Rotas
2 1/4" custom exhaust
Lightened Flywheel
Apexi Neo
D17A2 engine
jamisgood is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-09-2008, 02:35 PM   #20 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamisgood View Post
This is very true!!! I drove through a puddle on the side of the road going about 35mph with minimal throttle at about 2500rpm in 4th gear and my motor hydrolocked! I still think the benefit from a CAI is still worth it though. You just need to be REALLY REALLY careful. Careful cannot be emphasized enough.
LOL. Swing and a miss.

That Rounders clip is hilarious Andy!

|
|
|
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in