Need some advice - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org Motor Mayhem & Suspension Satisfaction 7th Gen

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-02-2005, 05:12 AM   #1 (permalink)
k3rnel

Default Need some advice

Hey guys,
Im new to the forum and I am looking for someones advice/opinion. I am buying a 2005 Civic. Right now, I have the 2005 Civic VP with a D17A1 engine. I am also looking at the HX model which adds a ton of more features, and I also noticed that it comes standard with a VTEC engine, is the engine different in the HX model versus the VP? Im not planning on doing anything beyond adding a CAI and an MSD ignition to the engine, then maybe a body kit on the exterior and carbon fiber hood. The one thing I do not like about the VP package is that there is no tach in the instrument cluster, but I was thinking I could install an aftermarket one on the dash anyhow. Also, there are no power windows/door locks, can I get these installed with aftermarket parts? Im just looking to save a little money up front, this is my first Civic and I want to make the right decision.

Last edited by k3rnel; 02-02-2005 at 06:14 AM.
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-02-2005, 07:45 AM   #2 (permalink)
All powerful D-series member

custom_junky is a Top Aussiecustom_junky is a Top Aussiecustom_junky is a Top Aussiecustom_junky is a Top Aussiecustom_junky is a Top Aussiecustom_junky is a Top Aussiecustom_junky is a Top Aussiecustom_junky is a Top Aussiecustom_junky is a Top Aussiecustom_junky is a Top Aussiecustom_junky is a Top Aussie
iTrader Score: 4 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by k3rnel
Hey guys,
Im new to the forum and I am looking for someones advice/opinion. I am buying a 2005 Civic. Right now, I have the 2005 Civic VP with a D17A1 engine. I am also looking at the HX model which adds a ton of more features, and I also noticed that it comes standard with a VTEC engine, is the engine different in the HX model versus the VP?
The difference is the VTEC only, honda uses the head to make the difference in the horse power for the D-series. I would suggest getting one with the manual, i believe the HX has the CVT tranny correct?

Quote:
Im not planning on doing anything beyond adding a CAI and an MSD ignition to the engine
DO NOT get the ignition system, the stock one is fine, it'll hold up to around 200-250 HP, your going to be fine, not to mention the MSD ignition system could screw with your motor without needing the extra amprige going into the ignition system. The CAI is a good idea, look into AEM they have good products.

Quote:
The one thing I do not like about the VP package is that there is no tach in the instrument cluster, but I was thinking I could install an aftermarket one on the dash anyhow. Also, there are no power windows/door locks, can I get these installed with aftermarket parts? Im just looking to save a little money up front, this is my first Civic and I want to make the right decision.
as for the tach, i would recommend getting a civic with it stock. get a manual civic and it will come with the tach. also the stock ones that come in the 7th gen civics will be just fine, they are accurate enough. as for the power options, it would be the best bet to get them stock from the factory, another option you could do is look into a used civic, just look for something newer than a 02. or you could always get a 5 year old civic, and put the rest of the money you have spent on the new car towards the old one, and have a bad ass set up.

either way is up to you, good luck with everything, and welcome to the site.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
There's two things in life you never want people to know about you...
1. You know how to work on cars.
2. You know how to work on computers.

You my friend are cursed with this info being out in the open.
^ little truth ^

R.I.P. Milo
R.I.P. PatPrimmer
custom_junky is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-02-2005, 08:03 AM   #3 (permalink)
ridin on rotas

Rep Power: 16 gftgrill is a name known to allgftgrill is a name known to allgftgrill is a name known to allgftgrill is a name known to allgftgrill is a name known to allgftgrill is a name known to allgftgrill is a name known to allgftgrill is a name known to allgftgrill is a name known to all
iTrader Score: 13 reviews
Send a message via AIM to gftgrill

I don't think you can do msd with a 7th gen can you? they switch the ignition to a direct ignition or something. I don't remember what it is called. but they don't plugs or wires (IIRC).

also if you're looking at getting a better new civic. I say go for the si. I know it's not a D, but it's a K.

Old 02-02-2005, 08:08 AM   #4 (permalink)
CR-Vtakin

Rep Power: 48 Levi is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Levi is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Levi is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Levi is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
Levi is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Levi is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Levi is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Levi is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Levi is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 80 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Levi Send a message via MSN to Levi

get at least an ex civic with a manual transmission. my ex gf had an 04 ex and that thing was really nice.

1996 Acura Integra LS Sedan

Laying Claim To My Own Thread:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1996 Integra Project Car:
Levi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-02-2005, 08:27 AM   #5 (permalink)
k3rnel

Thanks for the replies all, Im thinking the HX is my best choice. Looking at the feature matrix from Honda's website, it appears as though the only models they offer a VTEC in are the HX and EX. The only other one I would consider would be the EX, but I don't want to pay that much money(about 17-19k) I could probably get this one for around 13 flat. Too bad the VP trim package doesn't offer a tach, I can live without power door locks or windows, but a tach would be nice. The good thing is that the HX model comes standard with power door locks, no power windows, but that's ok. Im more interested in the tach and the VTEC engine than anything else. Also worth mentioning is that the engine in the HX model features "lean-burn" technology, anyone know anything about that whether it's good/bad for performance?
Old 02-02-2005, 08:42 AM   #6 (permalink)
k3rnel

Quote:
The difference is the VTEC only, honda uses the head to make the difference in the horse power for the D-series. I would suggest getting one with the manual, i believe the HX has the CVT tranny correct?
Just out of curiosity, am I to assume the only differences in these engines is just the head? I believe also that the CVT tranny is an auto transmission and is available as an option, I won't even consider an auto lol. They tried to make me a good deal on an '03 lastnight but the first thing I looked at was the tranny and said "NO!" lol.
Old 02-02-2005, 12:48 PM   #7 (permalink)

custom_junky is a Top Aussiecustom_junky is a Top Aussiecustom_junky is a Top Aussiecustom_junky is a Top Aussiecustom_junky is a Top Aussiecustom_junky is a Top Aussiecustom_junky is a Top Aussiecustom_junky is a Top Aussiecustom_junky is a Top Aussiecustom_junky is a Top Aussiecustom_junky is a Top Aussie

ok, good...manuals are going to be the stronger tranny.

and yes the head is what is the difference in the motors, as FYI the HX motor does NOT make as much power as the EX, i'm not sure of the exact difference in power, and I believe that the pistons might be different.

as for the lean burn feature, this alows the car to get better gas mileage than the others, this could cause a problem when it comes time for upgrades, but i am not sure about that statement either. all i know is that i tried to stay away from the HX model because they come mainly with the CVT, which is not as happy as a standard auto, which is not as happy as a manual. also the manual tranny is not goingt o be a close ratio, so take offs will not be as quick as say the EX tranny, the EX tranny is a closer ratio and sportier. if you can try and talk them down on the EX price, I was able to get mine for 15-16.

Quote:

^ little truth ^

R.I.P. Milo
R.I.P. PatPrimmer
Old 02-02-2005, 05:37 PM   #8 (permalink)
k3rnel

Well I actually ended up with the '05 VP Model. They didn't have any HX's on the lot and wouldn't price me where I wanted to be in anything else. That's ok though, I am pretty satisfied with the one I have. I would have much rather had the Tach, etc., but I can always add this stuff myself (hopefully, I talked to AEM today and they said they didn't currently produce or have any plans to produce an intake for this model, but I believe K&M does, so there is hope lol)

So thus far, my planned upgrades are(in order of preference):

Window Tint
CAI
Tachometer
Rims/Tires
Body kit?
Carbon Fiber Hood?
Stereo?

It will be a work in progress, Im pretty excited this is the first new Honda I have ever owned, Ive had a '88, '91, and '96 Accord, but never did anything to them. Im mainly looking to make this a good looking car while fun to drive/tune in the process.
Old 02-03-2005, 04:52 AM   #9 (permalink)

do some research and see if you can do this, but you could probably get an EX head and put it on, and have VTEC and the intake manifold for the AEM CAI. do some research first though, just a thought.

BTW, congrats on the buy

Quote:

^ little truth ^

R.I.P. Milo
R.I.P. PatPrimmer
Old 02-03-2005, 10:16 AM   #10 (permalink)

iTrader Score: 0 reviews

[QUOTE=k3rnel] (hopefully, I talked to AEM today and they said they didn't currently produce or have any plans to produce an intake for this model, but I believe K&M does, so there is hope lol)

the 04-05 vp model is the same as the 01-03 dx model, so just buy a aem intake for the the 01-03 dx and it will fit with no modification.
Jspek_Inspired is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-03-2005, 10:20 AM   #11 (permalink)
k3rnel

Quote:
the 04-05 vp model is the same as the 01-03 dx model, so just buy a aem intake for the the 01-03 dx and it will fit with no modification.
That is exactly what I was wondering, I was going to just splurge and buy one to see if it would fit, but thanks for clearing me up on that.
Old 02-11-2005, 10:26 AM   #12 (permalink)
Nor Cal D-series rider

Import Al It's a JDM Star Bitches....
iTrader Score: 7 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Import Al Send a message via Yahoo to Import Al

Congrats on the the new Civic. Swapping in the A2 vtec head/EX tranny plus the other options you want aren't too hard. Look on the web for all the EX opts you want or buy em brand new @ For intake, the best intake for D17's are K&N FIPK II or 2nd best Injen Race Division cai (I had it). For your hood, a CF 1 is nice, but your stocker is pretty light. The OEM body kit is tight I think.. If you want more gusto out of your EM, I have lots of suggestions (header,exhaust,hi flo cat/test pipe,TB, Y8 mani,FPR & return fuel system, etc.) Oh, this site is great for you new Civic guys-->http://www.7thgencivic.com/

Last edited by Import Al; 02-11-2005 at 10:31 AM.
Import Al is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-11-2005, 10:31 AM   #13 (permalink)
k3rnel

Well I ended up with the "VP" model, they couldn't price me where I wanted to be in the HX model, but I am pretty happy with what I got. I would have been happier with a VTEC, but I was reading somewhere that I could do a K20 swap in this car with no modifications. I may do that once the warranty runs out, I really like this body style. I can add on power door locks/windows and a tach myself, those are the biggest features that I am missing.
Old 02-11-2005, 10:41 AM   #14 (permalink)
Nor Cal D-series rider

K3rnel, if your considering a K swap then you have a high power goal correct? The K20A2 is awesome, but to get the same power out of a turbo D17 reliably will cost thousands less. I admit that the K20 has a superior tranny, IM, fuel system I could go on BUT is $5K+ worth 178 whp when you'd have 250+ for the same price? Plus, a used D17A2 costs less than $400 bux.
Old 02-11-2005, 10:46 AM   #15 (permalink)
k3rnel

I'm not really looking for "raw" power per se, I just wanted something a little more powerful than what I have now while staying NA. I'm not really interested in forced induction, the HP benefits are awesome, but I would still have to use this car as my daily driver as well as taking on trips, etc so forced induction is not really an option for me. From what I have researched, simple bolt-ons to this engine(I have a D17A1) would net me anywhere from 10-20 HP. Besides, I may just get bored with the car and trade it in a few years anyhow lol. I'm certainly still learning as I go forward, I'm a confident mechanic, just not an experienced one lol. This is the first Honda I have onwed that I can actually do something with.
Old 02-11-2005, 10:58 AM   #16 (permalink)
Nor Cal D-series rider

You're lucky the aftermarket is finally picking up for D17s, because I know from dyno sheets that our cars wont get large gains (10-20hp) from bolt ons like previous Civics. Companies are making
internals (cams,pistons,springs,etc.) for reliable NA power. I'll go do a search to see what you might like man, but the SF and Dezod turbo kits are pushing 7+ PSI boost for a couple years on some D17's with stock internals and no problems. Plus, the turbo guys gain 3 or so MPG on the hiway.
http://www.dezodmotorsports.com/pd_d...otorsports.cfm
Old 02-11-2005, 11:04 AM   #17 (permalink)
k3rnel

Thanks dude, I really appreciate it! It's really helpful to me to have someone's opinions with the voice of experience, hence the reason why I came here I definitely don't want to do anything crazy to my engine beyond bolt-ons until my warranty was up. I think turbo is cool, I've just read that it can be a maintenance nightmare.
Old 02-11-2005, 11:17 AM   #18 (permalink)
Nor Cal D-series rider

Great vendor of my old friends for NA D17's-->http://www.truehonda.com/inventory.p...products&id=26
Our friend Wil, vendor here. http://exospeed.com/
I love 7th gens...

Old 02-11-2005, 11:20 AM   #19 (permalink)
k3rnel

Cool deal, btw that Dezod kit is sick. I may have to reconsider turbo after looking at that lol.
Old 02-11-2005, 08:35 PM   #20 (permalink)

iTrader Score: 0 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by Import Al
the best intake for D17's are K&N FIPK II or 2nd best Injen Race Division cai
Iceman intake would be the best for our cars then comes k&n, but all intakes are gonna yield similar gains so you might as well get one that looks good or something.
Jspek_Inspired is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in