d17 wont start - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org Motor Mayhem & Suspension Satisfaction 7th Gen

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-05-2012, 10:30 AM   #1 (permalink)
n00b

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Exclamation d17 wont start

I recently had my timing belt jump and shred on me due to a fouled out tensioner bolt. ive replaced the belt, the bolt, and the spring. after getting it back in time it still wil not start. i pulled the VC and it didnt seem like a valve was bent because everything moved fine and there was no scrapping, sticking, or noises. when i try to start the car it just sounds like the starter is whinning and no fireing. also ive done a compression test and all the readings for the cylinders have came back as 0. i was wondering if anyone had any ideas on what i should check next. Cam/crank sensor?
Advertisement

Old 03-05-2012, 10:35 AM   #2 (permalink)
\/Your Mom Was Here\/

Rep Power: 54 BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 11 reviews

Bent valves or TB put on wrong if compression 0!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2005 Civic EX Sedan (ES2)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

You will be missed but not forgotten.

Quote:
I actually jerk off to my rep points, neg rep makes me thumb my bung, what now brown cow? I finished twice.
BeerDrinkin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-05-2012, 10:36 AM   #3 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 11 97-Civic-Ex is a name known to all97-Civic-Ex is a name known to all97-Civic-Ex is a name known to all97-Civic-Ex is a name known to all97-Civic-Ex is a name known to all97-Civic-Ex is a name known to all97-Civic-Ex is a name known to all97-Civic-Ex is a name known to all
iTrader Score: 23 reviews

compression of 0 means either you are doing it wrong or there is absolutly no sealing in your combustion chamber(really bad). You cannot tell if valves are bent by just "seeing" or "hearing.' Check your valvelash, and if any are way off, more than likely that valve is bent.
97-Civic-Ex is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2012, 10:44 AM   #4 (permalink)
D-series post SLUT

007 is hot as a volcano007 is hot as a volcano007 is hot as a volcano007 is hot as a volcano007 is hot as a volcano007 is hot as a volcano007 is hot as a volcano
iTrader Score: 10 reviews

cut the double posting shit out people!!

https://www.d-series.org/forums/engin...-troubles.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrOsborn01 View Post
I have a 2001 civic lx and the timing belt recently jumped on me. I took everything apart, retimed it and now it won't start. I also took the valve cover off to make sure my valves weren't bent and everything seemed to move smoothly no noises or anything. I was wondering If anyone had an idea what I should try next. Any help on this would be great.
007 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-05-2012, 12:10 PM   #5 (permalink)
\/Your Mom Was Here\/

Rep Power: 54 BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !

And 0 compression across all the cylinders makes me think that you put the TB on wrong. Have you double/triple checked your work?

Quote:
I actually jerk off to my rep points, neg rep makes me thumb my bung, what now brown cow? I finished twice.
Old 03-05-2012, 02:05 PM   #6 (permalink)
D-series G0D

patprimmer Still a JDM Star....patprimmer Still a JDM Star....patprimmer Still a JDM Star....patprimmer Still a JDM Star....patprimmer Still a JDM Star....patprimmer Still a JDM Star....patprimmer Still a JDM Star....
iTrader Score: 7 reviews

Broke a belt, cranks but won't start, it's bent the valves without a doubt.

Absolutely zero compression, you bent them all bad or your doing the test with a closed throttle or your gauge reads zero until you have at least 20 or 30 psi compression.

I will always feed an inquisitive mind, prod a lazy noob and blast a disrespectful bum.

Believe none of what you hear and half of what you see.

Ignorance may be cured, stupid is forever.

my CRX thread

my intro

patprimmer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-05-2012, 02:12 PM   #7 (permalink)
D-series post SLUT

007 is hot as a volcano007 is hot as a volcano007 is hot as a volcano007 is hot as a volcano007 is hot as a volcano007 is hot as a volcano007 is hot as a volcano

its probably no use Pat. I already said the same thing to the same guy in response to the same question here:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 007 View Post
all four cylinders are identical. so if one cylinder can bend valves, they all will. all it takes is for the piston to kiss the valves *once*. 4 revolutions. how long do you think that would take?

if you are showing no compression, all your valves are bent for sure.
and then he started this thread. maybe now we will see a third clone.
Old 03-06-2012, 07:49 AM   #8 (permalink)
\/Your Mom Was Here\/

@ OP

Did you ever even check out your problem?

Quote:
Old 03-06-2012, 10:17 AM   #9 (permalink)
n00b

Haha A, ill post this as much as I have to so I can get accurate answers. In not gonna just go by what one person on here says. That would be retarded. And B, I've checked the belt numerous times. The crank sprocket is lined up with the arrow on the block and the cam is lined up with the head and the "up" carved into the cam gear is up. Unless I'm doing the CT wrong I'm guessing the valves are shot.
Old 03-06-2012, 10:21 AM   #10 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 11 97-Civic-Ex is a name known to all97-Civic-Ex is a name known to all97-Civic-Ex is a name known to all97-Civic-Ex is a name known to all97-Civic-Ex is a name known to all97-Civic-Ex is a name known to all97-Civic-Ex is a name known to all97-Civic-Ex is a name known to all

I see a red dot in your future.
Old 03-06-2012, 10:28 AM   #11 (permalink)
D-series post SLUT

Quote:
A, ill post this as much as I have to so I can get accurate answers.
and creating redundant threads increases your chances of getting an accurate answer?
Old 03-06-2012, 11:12 AM   #12 (permalink)
\/Your Mom Was Here\/

How Do I Perform A Compression Test? - Honda Forum : Honda and Acura Car Forums

Quote:
Old 03-06-2012, 11:28 AM   #13 (permalink)
n00b

posting it in different places will get different people to give me answers. i dont know what a red dot it but im not to worried about it. just looking for advice on this to get my car fixed. cars getting sold.
Old 03-06-2012, 11:30 AM   #14 (permalink)
n00b

thanks
Old 03-06-2012, 11:31 AM   #15 (permalink)
D-series post SLUT

Quote:
posting it in different places will get different people to give me answers.
arr harr harr!

EDIT: now that Ive finished laughing my ass off, let me offer you some more friendly advice:
"different places" means "different forums / websites". posting the same shit repeatedly here will only invite moderator action.

also, if you arent sure about how to properly perform a compression test, you clearly are in no position to be making guesses like these:

Quote:
I also took the valve cover off to make sure my valves weren't bent and everything seemed to move smoothly no noises or anything.
Quote:
i dont think all of the valves would be bent..

Last edited by 007; 03-06-2012 at 11:49 AM.
Old 03-06-2012, 12:12 PM   #16 (permalink)
\/Your Mom Was Here\/

And not "all" valves have to be bent. There are 16 valves in your motor. If just 1 in each cylinder got hit just even slightly then it will bend it and you will get no compression. Run the compression test again both dry and then wet and see the results. If still 0 then and check the TB again and if thats good then the head needs to come off and go to machine shop.

D.I.Y. Question. D17A1 Timing Belt? - HondaCivicForum.com

Quote:
Old 03-06-2012, 12:22 PM   #17 (permalink)
D-series post SLUT

@BeerDrinkin, I had my timing belt tensioner bolt sli on me when I was cruising on a highway at 2500 RPM. all I heard was a fast chatter and the engine died. it was all over in less than five seconds.

after finding excessive valve lash everywhere and registering 0 compression on all cylinders, we took the head off and found that all valves were bent. this was on a non VTEC 1.5 with dished pistons. the impact wasnt massive but the valves were bent just enough to prevent them from seating properly. every single one of them.
Old 03-06-2012, 12:30 PM   #18 (permalink)
D-series soldier

yup, valve lash is one good way of checking if valve have been bent from timing belt snap. My belt went while I was on the freeway. It was on my y8, not during vtec. I just lost power and tried to restart a few times while coasting to a stop. I thought for sure valves were all bent after i realized TB snapped. Towed it home and removed head. I didn't "see" anything wrong so I did a quick valvelash test on it while it was off and realised no valves kissed pistons. I could have saved myself a lot of time by doing that first. But I did what any other gear head would have done,... rebuilt the head while it was off. lol
Old 03-06-2012, 12:44 PM   #19 (permalink)
\/Your Mom Was Here\/

My toyota truck broke the chain (22re common problem) and it bent 3 valves. I didn't know this until i put a chain on it. So I wasn't going to rebuild just the head with 300k on the motor. I bored it out and got all new factory shit . But yeah once you put everything back together and it don't work right and its put back together right... well you know the rest.

Quote:
Old 03-06-2012, 02:28 PM   #20 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Yeah, 22r & 22re are interference motors so they will kiss the valves. I thought honda civic motors were too, thats why I just started by removing head, but i assume vtec motors have enough clearance when vtec is not engaged.
On my 83 22r the plastic guides broke too(as you said common) but only jumped 3 teeth. Again no valves were bent so I just ordered some steel guides and did the timing chain replacement and off we went. Since then it has been handed down to my little brother and we swapped a 22re. I got myself an 85 4unner with a 22re already in it. I see you rolled the 86,... are you on any other forums with pics? Marlin? TTORA? Yotetech?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
bent valve, compression test, timing, wont start

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Security Question
*Required, this field is not shown to others: While balancing on a piece of wood, two inches by four inches known as a 2x4, john and his friend sally both spotted a dalmatian inside a truck with sirens, headed to put out a fire. State what kind of animal is mentioned in the sentence above.
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in