PLZ help me understand these 7th gen d17 heads - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org Motor Mayhem & Suspension Satisfaction 7th Gen

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-27-2012, 12:10 PM   #1 (permalink)
D-series post SLUT

Rep Power: 14 94EXa2 will become famous soon enough94EXa2 will become famous soon enough94EXa2 will become famous soon enough
iTrader Score: 2 reviews
Send a message via MSN to 94EXa2
Default PLZ help me understand these 7th gen d17 heads

Ok guys, so I am thinking of possibly selling my ej1 with z6, in favor of a civic a little newer (6th or 7th gen). I was also thinking, I might as well get one with a d1x vtec-e since I am no longer concerned with making my dd honda fast, I am thinking of the route of a nice mpg queen civic dd.

Now, I have always heard alot of back and forth about the d17 vtec system. I completely understand how vtec works, and how vtec-e works, and 3 stage vtec works, but cannot find a straight answer about the d17 heads. I have heard that the d17a2 found in the US Civic EX was regular sohc vtec like in the z6 and y8. But I have also heard that that the d17a2 from the ex was actually vtec-e like the z1 and y5. What is the truth about this? I know the d17a1 in the dx/lx is sohc non vtec, but am not sure about the EX d17a2 being vtec or vtec-e. Plz help me with a concrete answer. Thanks guys!
Advertisement

Old 02-29-2012, 10:19 AM   #2 (permalink)
D-series post SLUT

007 is hot as a volcano007 is hot as a volcano007 is hot as a volcano007 is hot as a volcano007 is hot as a volcano007 is hot as a volcano007 is hot as a volcano
iTrader Score: 10 reviews

a normal VTEC cam has three intake lobes while a VTEC-E has two intake lobes. maybe a quick look at a rocker assembly will answer the question?
007 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-29-2012, 10:48 AM   #3 (permalink)
\/Your Mom Was Here\/

Rep Power: 54 BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 11 reviews

From wikipedia:

D17A6 VTEC-E

Found in:
2001–2005 Honda Civic HX
Displacement : 1,668 cc (101.8 cu in)
Bore and Stroke : 75 94.4 mm (3.0 3.72 in)
Compression : 9.9:1
Power : 117 hp (87 kW; 119 PS) at 6,100 rpm[8]
Torque : 111 ftlb (150 Nm) at 4,500 rpm[8]
Valvetrain : SOHC VTEC-E Lean Burn (4 valves per cylinder)
VTEC Switchover : 2,300 rpm
Fuel Control : OBD-2 MPFI

D17A2 VTEC
Found in:
2001–2005 Honda Civic EX (US only)
2001–2005 Honda Civic LX (Europe)
2001–2005 Honda Civic Si (Canada only)
2001–2005 Acura 1.7 EL (Canada only)
2000–2007 Honda Stream 1.7 (Japan)
Displacement : 1,668 cc (101.8 cu in)
Bore and Stroke : 75 94.4 mm (3.0 3.72 in)
Rod Length : 137 mm
Rod/Stroke : 1.48
Compression : 9.9:1
Power (North America): 127 hp (95 kW; 129 PS) at 6,300 rpm
Japan: 125 PS (92 kW; 123 hp) at 6,300 rpm[6]
Torque (North America): 114 lbft (15.8 kg/m, 154 Nm) at 4,800 rpm[7]
Japan: 154 Nm (114 lbft) at 4,800 rpm[6]
RPM redline: 6,800 rpm
Rev-limiter : 7,200 rpm
Valvetrain : SOHC VTEC (4 valves per cylinder)
VTEC Switchover : 4,500 rpm
Fuel Control : OBD-2 MPFI

Does this answer your question?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2005 Civic EX Sedan (ES2)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

You will be missed but not forgotten.

Quote:
I actually jerk off to my rep points, neg rep makes me thumb my bung, what now brown cow? I finished twice.
BeerDrinkin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-29-2012, 02:26 PM   #4 (permalink)
D-series post SLUT

Rep Power: 14 94EXa2 will become famous soon enough94EXa2 will become famous soon enough94EXa2 will become famous soon enough

I had read the wikipedia write up on the d17 engines, but I always heard the ex was actually vtec-e instead of vtec, I was just making sure.
Old 03-13-2012, 04:17 AM   #5 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 13 Icarus is a name known to allIcarus is a name known to allIcarus is a name known to allIcarus is a name known to allIcarus is a name known to allIcarus is a name known to allIcarus is a name known to allIcarus is a name known to allIcarus is a name known to all
iTrader Score: 0 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by 007 View Post
a normal VTEC cam has three intake lobes while a VTEC-E has two intake lobes. maybe a quick look at a rocker assembly will answer the question?
D15/D16 VTEC-E has one intake lobe.

Icarus is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-13-2012, 04:24 AM   #6 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 13 Icarus is a name known to allIcarus is a name known to allIcarus is a name known to allIcarus is a name known to allIcarus is a name known to allIcarus is a name known to allIcarus is a name known to allIcarus is a name known to allIcarus is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94EXa2 View Post
I had read the wikipedia write up on the d17 engines, but I always heard the ex was actually vtec-e instead of vtec, I was just making sure.
I have also reaserched this and have found many disagree that your EX D17 is VTEC-E. Yes it works the same way 12V to 16V

The reason they claim its not VTEC-E is because your not going to get the same sort of economy from this engine as you would in a D16 VTEC-E.

D17 EX has alot more power and less economy.

they say...

So what I think is that our engines lay somwhere between performance and economy.

This is what I have googled. I am not saying it is or it isant.
Just somthing to think about. Honda did leave the E off the spark plug cover....

I was disapointed after purchasing mine, but its still a good car.

Last edited by Icarus; 03-13-2012 at 04:26 AM.
Old 03-16-2012, 01:59 PM   #7 (permalink)
D-series post SLUT

still makes it sound like their not vtec (vtec, in my opinion, is switching to a larger cam profile at a certain rpm... going from 12v to 16v just seems like vtec-e, not vtec)
Old 03-16-2012, 02:38 PM   #8 (permalink)
All powerful D-series member

Rep Power: 22 HondaDNA is the fucking MAN!!!!HondaDNA is the fucking MAN!!!!HondaDNA is the fucking MAN!!!!
HondaDNA is the fucking MAN!!!!HondaDNA is the fucking MAN!!!!HondaDNA is the fucking MAN!!!!HondaDNA is the fucking MAN!!!!HondaDNA is the fucking MAN!!!!HondaDNA is the fucking MAN!!!!HondaDNA is the fucking MAN!!!!HondaDNA is the fucking MAN!!!!HondaDNA is the fucking MAN!!!!HondaDNA is the fucking MAN!!!!HondaDNA is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 6 reviews
Send a message via AIM to HondaDNA

A D17A2 is VTEC(more for economy then power, but not yet the Hx economy). If your not concerned about speed/power and more concerned about economy why are you even asking this question?

Quote:
Funny enough, Honda did a writeup on how to do that because it is one if the most difficult things to do to...
HondaDNA is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-23-2012, 01:22 PM   #9 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to DJArmySSG Send a message via Yahoo to DJArmySSG

Both the D17A2, And the D17A6 are VTEC-E. The real diffrence in the 2 engines are the Cam profile, and the ECU. EVERYTHING can be swapped, Im actually running an A2 bottom end with an A6 head (with Stage 2 ex turbo cam). The VTEC works the same on both! just diffrent tune and diffrent VTEC activation point!
DJArmySSG is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-24-2012, 07:41 AM   #10 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94EXa2 View Post
still makes it sound like their not vtec (vtec, in my opinion, is switching to a larger cam profile at a certain rpm... going from 12v to 16v just seems like vtec-e, not vtec)

I get where your coming from .

VTEC is Variable Valve Timing Engine Control regaurdless of 12v to 16V or larger cam switching.

Your D17 "VTEC-E" does not have crappy small intake and throttle body and will out perform a real VTEC-E engine.

its basicly econmy to normal...

your D17 still makes more power then a real D15/D16 VTEC-E.

To get a real VTEC-E put on a smaller intake manifold and smaller TB with smaller valves and floppy valve springs.

But yeah even I call it VTEC-E

Here is what I dont get.....

Guys with a civic LX (correct me if I am wrong) put on a D17 VTEC-"E" head and get gains?? over a D17 16V non vtec? (or D15?)
Old 08-09-2012, 05:50 AM   #11 (permalink)
n00b

My Seventh generation Civic came stock with a D15B block and a D15Y4 head (head casting code: PLE2). Although the valve cover says VTEC, is still VTEC-E? When I unplug the VTEC and drive the car drives smoothly unit about 4,500-5,000 RPM when the engine runs rough until the tachometer falls once again.
Nitrous1024 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Security Question
*Required, this field is not shown to others: While balancing on a piece of wood, two inches by four inches known as a 2x4, john and his friend sally both spotted a dalmatian inside a truck with sirens, headed to put out a fire. State what kind of animal is mentioned in the sentence above.
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in