7th gen OBD1 conversion? Pros please look inside. - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org Motor Mayhem & Suspension Satisfaction 7th Gen

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-30-2011, 05:23 PM   #1 (permalink)
D-series lover

Rep Power: 12 jee-em2 is a name known to alljee-em2 is a name known to alljee-em2 is a name known to alljee-em2 is a name known to alljee-em2 is a name known to alljee-em2 is a name known to alljee-em2 is a name known to alljee-em2 is a name known to alljee-em2 is a name known to all
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Default 7th gen OBD1 conversion? Pros please look inside.

Well I posted this over @ 7thgen but generally speaking I see way too much flaming there when people try to go outside the box. Out of all the forums im a member of this seems to be the best place to learn, so here it is:

Now my question is about converting the EM2 to run OBD1

I understand this is a long shot and theres probably only a handful of people that will actually have the knowledge to see any way this can work

I'm pretty much wondering if the wiring harness from an EK/EM1 will be able to be swapped into an em2.. then via ecu jumper further converted to OBD1

I want to know if anyone can see this working and how, but lets not even think about the dizzy/COP issue, im more concerned about the sensors and such.

Please address the question if you have any knowledge in this field, please keep the "why?!" "its illegal!" "your an idiot" comments to yourself, just pretend u said them to me and laugh
jee-em2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-31-2011, 12:57 AM   #2 (permalink)
n00b

Why don't you just buy a conversion harness? You will obviously need an OBD1 ECU mapped to yur car.

http://shop.12tune.com/rywire-conver...da-models.html

Last edited by xelad; 08-31-2011 at 01:02 AM.
xelad is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-31-2011, 06:09 AM   #3 (permalink)
D-series PIMP

Rep Power: 11 dj211855 is a name known to alldj211855 is a name known to alldj211855 is a name known to alldj211855 is a name known to alldj211855 is a name known to alldj211855 is a name known to alldj211855 is a name known to alldj211855 is a name known to alldj211855 is a name known to all
iTrader Score: 3 reviews

this is pretty much all the answer your going to get..^^^^^^^^^^^^

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
dj211855 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2011, 07:09 AM   #4 (permalink)
D-series lover

Rep Power: 12 jee-em2 is a name known to alljee-em2 is a name known to alljee-em2 is a name known to alljee-em2 is a name known to alljee-em2 is a name known to alljee-em2 is a name known to alljee-em2 is a name known to alljee-em2 is a name known to alljee-em2 is a name known to all

there are none for the em2, ive asked the usual wiring companies such as rywire and xenocron
Old 08-31-2011, 07:59 AM   #5 (permalink)
n00b

It's not specific to the EM2 mate, find out specifically if the EM2 is OBD2-A or B then go from there. Like i said though, you car won't run on any OEM map from any previous Honda's, you will need to get it mapped before it will even run properly.
xelad is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-31-2011, 09:42 AM   #6 (permalink)
Classic Man

Rep Power: 59 FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 6 reviews

i wouldnt say that, he could easily get it running since his motor is basically a stroker d16y7

jeevan i think its going to be difficult for you to find a how to for this one, i think its gonna take some real detective work and some trial and error. will be cool though
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry Ford
Whether you think you can, or you think you can't--you're right.
FarmerD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-31-2011, 03:13 PM   #7 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 11 95_EJ1 is a name known to all95_EJ1 is a name known to all95_EJ1 is a name known to all95_EJ1 is a name known to all95_EJ1 is a name known to all95_EJ1 is a name known to all95_EJ1 is a name known to all95_EJ1 is a name known to all95_EJ1 is a name known to all
iTrader Score: 24 reviews

I honestly think you could manage to swap in an obd2 or obd1 engine harness and dizzy/sensors etc and get it to fit, the only problem i see is that the EM2 uses a multiplex system (like s2000, rsx) for the gauges and whatnot. That's probably the biggest hurdle you'd have to overcome: getting the ecu to communicate with the dash lol. I'd love to have a nice boosted EM2 without the need to go K-pro or reflash.

'90 Chevy Suburban - Future daily go-anywhere machine

'90 GMC Suburban - DD, future parts truck for the Chevy
95_EJ1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-31-2011, 04:52 PM   #8 (permalink)
All powerful D-series member

Rep Power: 22 HondaDNA is the fucking MAN!!!!HondaDNA is the fucking MAN!!!!HondaDNA is the fucking MAN!!!!
HondaDNA is the fucking MAN!!!!HondaDNA is the fucking MAN!!!!HondaDNA is the fucking MAN!!!!HondaDNA is the fucking MAN!!!!HondaDNA is the fucking MAN!!!!HondaDNA is the fucking MAN!!!!HondaDNA is the fucking MAN!!!!HondaDNA is the fucking MAN!!!!HondaDNA is the fucking MAN!!!!HondaDNA is the fucking MAN!!!!HondaDNA is the fucking MAN!!!!
Send a message via AIM to HondaDNA

The money spent to go OBD1 with everything working you might as well go K-pro...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
Funny enough, Honda did a writeup on how to do that because it is one if the most difficult things to do to...
HondaDNA is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-31-2011, 05:40 PM   #9 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 11 95_EJ1 is a name known to all95_EJ1 is a name known to all95_EJ1 is a name known to all95_EJ1 is a name known to all95_EJ1 is a name known to all95_EJ1 is a name known to all95_EJ1 is a name known to all95_EJ1 is a name known to all95_EJ1 is a name known to all
iTrader Score: 24 reviews

Meh that's probably true. It might be somewhat cost effective if you already had a OBD2/1 rusty shell and found a EM2 for dirt cheap lol

'90 Chevy Suburban - Future daily go-anywhere machine

'90 GMC Suburban - DD, future parts truck for the Chevy
95_EJ1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-31-2011, 05:47 PM   #10 (permalink)
D-series lover

hmmmm... the dash thing interests me... autometer has a fix for that! hahahahhaa

dan i got some more ideas, not sure if ur interested but ill discuss whenever i see u
Old 08-31-2011, 06:02 PM   #11 (permalink)
D-series lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by xelad View Post
It's not specific to the EM2 mate, find out specifically if the EM2 is OBD2-A or B then go from there. Like i said though, you car won't run on any OEM map from any previous Honda's, you will need to get it mapped before it will even run properly.
Ive messaged various manufacturers of conversion harnesses and they do not work with the 7th gens
Old 08-31-2011, 10:40 PM   #12 (permalink)

Rep Power: 22 HondaDNA is the fucking MAN!!!!HondaDNA is the fucking MAN!!!!HondaDNA is the fucking MAN!!!!
HondaDNA is the fucking MAN!!!!HondaDNA is the fucking MAN!!!!HondaDNA is the fucking MAN!!!!HondaDNA is the fucking MAN!!!!HondaDNA is the fucking MAN!!!!HondaDNA is the fucking MAN!!!!HondaDNA is the fucking MAN!!!!HondaDNA is the fucking MAN!!!!HondaDNA is the fucking MAN!!!!HondaDNA is the fucking MAN!!!!HondaDNA is the fucking MAN!!!!

K-pro is $1600+/- 100 w/K ECU

To go OBD1 for the A1 you would need a D16Y7 cam, for the A2 you would need a custom cam with a slot for a distributor. A way to mount a distributor on the D17 head. A custom harness to fit the D17. The cluster would not work with a OBD1 ecu so you would need a convertor or OBD1 data viewer(Tuner View/Stack gauges). If you lived in a area with emissions you would need a way for OBD2 data to be displayed via the com port(or just a way to by-pass the requirement for OBD2 data). $+/- a few grand.

Past all that OBD1 technology is from the earlier 90's, yes it works and works pretty good, but there is a reason why OBD2 has taken over...

Quote:
Funny enough, Honda did a writeup on how to do that because it is one if the most difficult things to do to...
Old 09-01-2011, 01:53 PM   #13 (permalink)
Classic Man

Rep Power: 59 FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !

could easily swap a 88-00 civic cluster in. shit ive seen people use EM2 clusters in older cars like wagons
Quote:
Old 09-01-2011, 11:21 PM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by danz View Post
could easily swap a 88-00 civic cluster in. shit ive seen people use EM2 clusters in older cars like wagons

All Honda's after 2001 are multiplex(multiple signals on one wire) so the analog signals from the obd1 system wouldn't work with stock gauges. A adapter is need for the multiplex gauges to work in older car(or in this case where the stock system is being removed). To use a older gauge you would need to run new wires that aren't in the EM2 dash harness.

As I always say anything can be done, with money...

Quote:
Old 09-01-2011, 11:56 PM   #15 (permalink)

Rep Power: 22 xotic_crx is the fucking MAN!!!!xotic_crx is the fucking MAN!!!!xotic_crx is the fucking MAN!!!!
xotic_crx is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 7 reviews
Send a message via AIM to xotic_crx

Aren't D17's all Coil on Plug? And most things don't support COP this side of a stand alone, but I think Hondata is working on/has COP, and Neptune has it in the works as well.

< Like us on FB
xotic_crx is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-02-2011, 10:10 AM   #16 (permalink)
Classic Man

yeah and i thikn thats why jeevan wants to swap back to obd1. for tuning purposes.

then again cant he run kpro or kflash?

FOOOS WHERE ARE YOU?!?!
Quote:
Old 09-02-2011, 09:43 PM   #17 (permalink)

D17's can only do Kpro(no flash)

Quote:
Originally Posted by xotic_crx View Post
Aren't D17's all Coil on Plug? And most things don't support COP this side of a stand alone, but I think Hondata is working on/has COP, and Neptune has it in the works as well.
Hondata has COP but you still need a distributor for CKP/CKY/TDC

Quote:

Last edited by HondaDNA; 09-02-2011 at 09:56 PM.
Old 09-05-2011, 10:52 AM   #18 (permalink)

Rep Power: 22 xotic_crx is the fucking MAN!!!!xotic_crx is the fucking MAN!!!!xotic_crx is the fucking MAN!!!!
xotic_crx is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 7 reviews
Send a message via AIM to xotic_crx

Does the D17 have provisions for a dizzy is what I was getting at as well.

< Like us on FB
xotic_crx is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-06-2011, 12:19 AM   #19 (permalink)
Brokedick Millionaire

Rep Power: 108 transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 59 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by fhukingviet View Post
well said
post whoring to get into the classifieds I see.

Quote:
Originally Posted by patprimmer RIP
I will always feed an inquisitive mind, prod a lazy noob and blast a disrespectful bum.
transzex is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-06-2011, 01:05 AM   #20 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by xotic_crx View Post
Does the D17 have provisions for a dizzy is what I was getting at as well.

Kinda, its a tight squeeze...

Quote:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in