Alternator changed... - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org Motor Mayhem & Suspension Satisfaction 7th Gen

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-09-2011, 09:30 PM   #1 (permalink)
n00b

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Default Alternator changed...

Hows it going.So what i have i am working on is one 2001 ex civic , the body has 130k and the motor was swapped to 60k and now has just ruffly has 70k . Last night i had to change up the alternator due to the fact when the motor was swapped also in went the with the lower mileage engine the higher milage alternetor, with that changed over it lasted bout 13k and it was shot. now driving i had no lights and the car sat until my wife had to go to work and she said on start up it was throwing a battery light. So we tested it out which was told it still was holding enough power just had the dummy light telling us other. So with that light on while driving it threw a few more dummy lights , a check engine light, and to sum the drive up it died at night time. The drive home was over 10 miles and atlest 8 or so miles the headlights didnt even look like they were on and the gauges completly stopped working and i was losing power after 3 gear 3 miles close to the end of this drive. This was an almost epic yet completly an intellegent display of Hondas work. If the power is being driven out from anything to much to over rule the engine from completly turning off they just shut off to keep what power you need to keep it from stalling out. I didnt make it to my house yet i managed to role it into a parking lot stall almost on the same road with in a few city blocks of were i needed to be . The power band cut out as i had to brake or turn corners so just simply shifting into a lower gear wount make the idle of the car any better so the ride may have been successful if it was a cool 50 mile n hour speed limit. All in all our 7th gen has a few more payments yet needed to be made and seeing it on a fully lifted tow truck just made me get the chills to get it payed off so we can get to work on it. I still love the idea i can pull almost 40 mpg and not have to fill up every day just to do regular stops and starts. So for the D17a2 it may not have the power out of the Honda engines yet fun to drive....nicerr with a Dohc k swap that is this litttle sohc i heard runns alot better on k pro, might just have to look into that anyone know of a kpro for sale? the next day i got the alternator changed out which picked up from the autozone like the warranty i guess and after starting it and let it warm up its almost as though after its had to run the power test which after the fact of the engine just completing the power videls back to the computer the alternator gave off a real nice supercharger wine as reved up. I losened the belt tension and then tightened it back up. Its wining went away at idle. Yet at acceleration supercharged sounding was it and just a hundred dollar up grade lol now just an alternator yet these are not supposed to wine supposed to be smooth . I also switched out the belt it had also stretched from wear and tear. Ill be returning this tomorrow along with the belt i think it was a manufacture defect?Supercharged!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-10-2011, 12:55 PM   #2 (permalink)
D-series lover

Autozone Alternator. 130$ Lifetime Warranty.

Also if your alt is good check the ELD (electric load detector) could be bad. Those are known to go bad on our cars, Cheap part located under the fuse box.
Maple50175 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-10-2011, 05:43 PM   #3 (permalink)
D-Series Destruction Master

Rep Power: 35 f00ker is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !f00ker is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !f00ker is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
f00ker is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !f00ker is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !f00ker is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !f00ker is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !f00ker is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !f00ker is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !f00ker is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 31 reviews
Send a message via AIM to f00ker Send a message via MSN to f00ker Send a message via Yahoo to f00ker

Quote:
Originally Posted by 23sohc View Post
Hows it going.So what i have i am working on is one 2001 ex civic , the body has 130k and the motor was swapped to 60k and now has just ruffly has 70k . Last night i had to change up the alternator due to the fact when the motor was swapped also in went the with the lower mileage engine the higher milage alternetor, with that changed over it lasted bout 13k and it was shot. now driving i had no lights and the car sat until my wife had to go to work and she said on start up it was throwing a battery light. So we tested it out which was told it still was holding enough power just had the dummy light telling us other. So with that light on while driving it threw a few more dummy lights , a check engine light, and to sum the drive up it died at night time. The drive home was over 10 miles and atlest 8 or so miles the headlights didnt even look like they were on and the gauges completly stopped working and i was losing power after 3 gear 3 miles close to the end of this drive. This was an almost epic yet completly an intellegent display of Hondas work. If the power is being driven out from anything to much to over rule the engine from completly turning off they just shut off to keep what power you need to keep it from stalling out. I didnt make it to my house yet i managed to role it into a parking lot stall almost on the same road with in a few city blocks of were i needed to be . The power band cut out as i had to brake or turn corners so just simply shifting into a lower gear wount make the idle of the car any better so the ride may have been successful if it was a cool 50 mile n hour speed limit. All in all our 7th gen has a few more payments yet needed to be made and seeing it on a fully lifted tow truck just made me get the chills to get it payed off so we can get to work on it. I still love the idea i can pull almost 40 mpg and not have to fill up every day just to do regular stops and starts. So for the D17a2 it may not have the power out of the Honda engines yet fun to drive....nicerr with a Dohc k swap that is this litttle sohc i heard runns alot better on k pro, might just have to look into that anyone know of a kpro for sale? the next day i got the alternator changed out which picked up from the autozone like the warranty i guess and after starting it and let it warm up its almost as though after its had to run the power test which after the fact of the engine just completing the power videls back to the computer the alternator gave off a real nice supercharger wine as reved up. I losened the belt tension and then tightened it back up. Its wining went away at idle. Yet at acceleration supercharged sounding was it and just a hundred dollar up grade lol now just an alternator yet these are not supposed to wine supposed to be smooth . I also switched out the belt it had also stretched from wear and tear. Ill be returning this tomorrow along with the belt i think it was a manufacture defect?Supercharged!

FORMATTING!

I'm not reading that mega-graph

f00ker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2011, 10:13 PM   #4 (permalink)
n00b

Thank you ! will check it tomorrow after i get home.
Old 08-11-2011, 10:44 PM   #5 (permalink)
n00b

Check engine light was from the CC. So prolly same converter ran off the higher mileage motor, so prolly have to also look into a o2 sensor. I will be changing the alternator tomorrow just had a few things get in the way of my car work very much needed!
Old 08-28-2011, 10:49 PM   #6 (permalink)
n00b

So my check engine light was the Catlitic convertor Fing 1500 dollars for the two my car has ! Damn guess ill be upgrading this real soon .
Old 08-30-2011, 12:14 AM   #7 (permalink)
n00b

Get a simulator?
xelad is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-30-2011, 10:31 PM   #8 (permalink)
n00b

a simulator?
Old 08-31-2011, 12:53 AM   #9 (permalink)
n00b

O2 Sensor simulator, to get rid of the CEL.
xelad is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in