Max power on stock pistons? - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org Motor Mayhem & Suspension Satisfaction 7th Gen

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-02-2011, 09:29 AM   #1 (permalink)
gonzo

sxysweed It's a JDM Star Bitches....sxysweed It's a JDM Star Bitches....
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Default Max power on stock pistons?

At what HP/TQ level do stock PLR/PLM pistons start running into trouble?
What goes first, the ring lands?

Thanks?

Last edited by sxysweed; 05-02-2011 at 09:32 AM.
sxysweed is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-02-2011, 09:37 AM   #2 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 11 D16EG8 is starting to learn the ropesD16EG8 is starting to learn the ropesD16EG8 is starting to learn the ropesD16EG8 is starting to learn the ropesD16EG8 is starting to learn the ropesD16EG8 is starting to learn the ropes
iTrader Score: 6 reviews

Probaby right around the time the rod detaches itself. Do you plan on running stock rods?
D16EG8 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-02-2011, 12:19 PM   #3 (permalink)
wise in the ways of the D

Rep Power: 14 schardbody is a name known to allschardbody is a name known to allschardbody is a name known to allschardbody is a name known to allschardbody is a name known to allschardbody is a name known to allschardbody is a name known to allschardbody is a name known to allschardbody is a name known to all
iTrader Score: 2 reviews

800,000hp

Old 05-02-2011, 12:38 PM   #4 (permalink)
All powerful D-series member

Rep Power: 29 Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 1 reviews

It would probably be similar to what you see with Vitara pistons.
If theres no detonation just abotu any piston should be able to take quite a lot of power.

Ive always wondered why you dont see people running stock pistons with aftermarket rods. Its pretty common with other cars when youre not looking for really low CR.
Full_Tilt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-02-2011, 02:57 PM   #5 (permalink)
gonzo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Full_Tilt View Post
It would probably be similar to what you see with Vitara pistons.
If theres no detonation just abotu any piston should be able to take quite a lot of power.

Ive always wondered why you dont see people running stock pistons with aftermarket rods. Its pretty common with other cars when youre not looking for really low CR.
But aren't Vitara's a slightly stronger type of cast piston vs. OEM Honda pistons?
Coupled with the lower compression you typically get with them, they hold up better compared to OEM pistons, no?

I've heard of OEM b-series pistons killing ringlands, which is why I ask.

Quote:
Originally Posted by D16EG8 View Post
Probaby right around the time the rod detaches itself. Do you plan on running stock rods?
Not stock D-series rods, but they might be stock OEM rods for another car (B18A/B).
Old 05-03-2011, 07:58 AM   #6 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 11 D16EG8 is starting to learn the ropesD16EG8 is starting to learn the ropesD16EG8 is starting to learn the ropesD16EG8 is starting to learn the ropesD16EG8 is starting to learn the ropesD16EG8 is starting to learn the ropes

You could always just try it and let us know
Old 05-03-2011, 09:19 AM   #7 (permalink)
Classic Man

Rep Power: 59 FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !

Quote:
Originally Posted by D16EG8 View Post
You could always just try it and let us know
winner.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry Ford
Whether you think you can, or you think you can't--you're right.
FarmerD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-03-2011, 10:02 AM   #8 (permalink)
Premium Member

Rep Power: 40 Bizzar is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Bizzar is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Bizzar is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Bizzar is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Bizzar is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
Bizzar is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Bizzar is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Bizzar is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Bizzar is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Bizzar is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Bizzar is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Bizzar is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Bizzar is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Bizzar is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Bizzar is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Bizzar is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Bizzar is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Bizzar is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Bizzar is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 15 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Bizzar Send a message via MSN to Bizzar Send a message via Yahoo to Bizzar

Quote:
Originally Posted by sxysweed View Post
I've heard of OEM b-series pistons killing ringlands, which is why I ask.

Same goes for the d-series piston. That is the weak link right there. The norm seems to be around 200-240ish whp before the ringlands give way. That and the rods :P

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Bizzar is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-03-2011, 11:25 AM   #9 (permalink)

Rep Power: 10 l337h4l is approaching greatnessl337h4l is approaching greatnessl337h4l is approaching greatnessl337h4l is approaching greatnessl337h4l is approaching greatnessl337h4l is approaching greatnessl337h4l is approaching greatnessl337h4l is approaching greatnessl337h4l is approaching greatnessl337h4l is approaching greatnessl337h4l is approaching greatnessl337h4l is approaching greatnessl337h4l is approaching greatnessl337h4l is approaching greatness
iTrader Score: 9 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bizzar View Post
Same goes for the d-series piston. That is the weak link right there. The norm seems to be around 200-240ish whp before the ringlands give way. That and the rods :P
As we know a tune is everything had a friend with a 99Si B16 and greddy kit tuned 300WHP 70k miles before he needed a new head gasket.(Stock head bolts)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

l337h4l is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-03-2011, 11:40 AM   #10 (permalink)
All powerful D-series member

Rep Power: 29 Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 1 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bizzar View Post
Im not so sure that would happen without the presence of detonation.
Full_Tilt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-03-2011, 05:22 PM   #11 (permalink)
Formerly 95RedVXCivic

Rep Power: 11 Sarge is almost a somebodySarge is almost a somebodySarge is almost a somebodySarge is almost a somebody
iTrader Score: 8 reviews
Send a message via Skype™ to Sarge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Full_Tilt View Post
Im not so sure that would happen without the presence of detonation.
i had a del sol si that i blew the ringlands on and put two rods through the block, no turbo either, 100% stock, and wasn't turning but 7k when it happened. stock rods and pistons suck imho, as well as cast pistons. op, i wouldn't run stock rods and pistons if you are worried about them letting you down.

Need and ecu converted/chipped/socketed? PM me.

Speed cost, how fast can you afford to go?

"While it is legal for the police to lie, they may not unreasonably pressure a suspect to commit a crime."

My for sale thread!
Sarge is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-03-2011, 05:44 PM   #12 (permalink)

Rep Power: 14 schardbody is a name known to allschardbody is a name known to allschardbody is a name known to allschardbody is a name known to allschardbody is a name known to allschardbody is a name known to allschardbody is a name known to allschardbody is a name known to allschardbody is a name known to all
iTrader Score: 2 reviews

wait, so what stock rods are you planning on using if not D series?

NOBODY knows the limits of the stock pistons, but i'll tell you its atleast 300whp with the right tune, probably alot more. the weak link is the tuner and the rods/bolts.
Old 05-03-2011, 05:49 PM   #13 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Quote:
Originally Posted by schardbody View Post
wait, so what stock rods are you planning on using if not D series?

NOBODY knows the limits of the stock pistons, but i'll tell you its atleast 300whp with the right tune, probably alot more. the weak link is the tuner and the rods/bolts.
ls?
Old 05-03-2011, 05:56 PM   #14 (permalink)
D-series post SLUT

hotrodj is a Top Aussiehotrodj is a Top Aussiehotrodj is a Top Aussiehotrodj is a Top Aussiehotrodj is a Top Aussiehotrodj is a Top Aussiehotrodj is a Top Aussiehotrodj is a Top Aussiehotrodj is a Top Aussiehotrodj is a Top Aussiehotrodj is a Top Aussie
iTrader Score: 30 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarge View Post
i had a del sol si that i blew the ringlands on and put two rods through the block, no turbo either, 100% stock, and wasn't turning but 7k when it happened. stock rods and pistons suck imho, as well as cast pistons. op, i wouldn't run stock rods and pistons if you are worried about them letting you down.
I rev the piss outta my del sol si almost every weekend. Over 250 passes on the stock bottom end.

As stated, its all to do with the tune. You can frag a forged piston with bad tuning as well.

Quote:
Take it from somebody who has actually done it more then once and not read about it on the internet......
hotrodj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-03-2011, 06:06 PM   #15 (permalink)
Formerly 95RedVXCivic

Rep Power: 11 Sarge is almost a somebodySarge is almost a somebodySarge is almost a somebodySarge is almost a somebody
iTrader Score: 8 reviews
Send a message via Skype™ to Sarge

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotrodj View Post
I rev the piss outta my del sol si almost every weekend. Over 250 passes on the stock bottom end.

As stated, its all to do with the tune. You can frag a forged piston with bad tuning as well.
no need for a tune on a completely stock engine, at least not for 7k rpm. and by no need, i mean it isn't necessary, of course it would benefit it though.

Need and ecu converted/chipped/socketed? PM me.

Speed cost, how fast can you afford to go?

"While it is legal for the police to lie, they may not unreasonably pressure a suspect to commit a crime."

My for sale thread!
Sarge is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-03-2011, 06:13 PM   #16 (permalink)
D-series post SLUT

hotrodj is a Top Aussiehotrodj is a Top Aussiehotrodj is a Top Aussiehotrodj is a Top Aussiehotrodj is a Top Aussiehotrodj is a Top Aussiehotrodj is a Top Aussiehotrodj is a Top Aussiehotrodj is a Top Aussiehotrodj is a Top Aussiehotrodj is a Top Aussie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarge View Post
no need for a tune on a completely stock engine, at least not for 7k rpm. and by no need, i mean it isn't necessary, of course it would benefit it though.
My top end is far from stock. And is tuned well. Shifted at 8k.
And I dont think this thread is much about stock motors revved to 7k

Quote:
Take it from somebody who has actually done it more then once and not read about it on the internet......
Old 05-03-2011, 07:16 PM   #17 (permalink)
D-Series cadet

Rep Power: 12 slums is da #1 stunnaslums is da #1 stunnaslums is da #1 stunnaslums is da #1 stunnaslums is da #1 stunnaslums is da #1 stunnaslums is da #1 stunna

Why would you go to the trouble of replacing your rods and not putting in new pistons while you're at it?

Is this a budget build or a theoretical question?
slums is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-04-2011, 12:28 PM   #18 (permalink)
gonzo

Quote:
Originally Posted by slums View Post
Why would you go to the trouble of replacing your rods and not putting in new pistons while you're at it?

Is this a budget build or a theoretical question?
Theoretical Budget Build. Just toying with ideas (as always).

Why spend $200+ on rods and $400+ on pistons if you only want ~200whp (but 'massive' torque)?

LS Rods machined to fit PLR/PLM pistons and a D17 crank = Cheap bottom end that'll hold more than the stock D17 rods and should be safe for a -small- turbo based build.
Old 05-04-2011, 12:36 PM   #19 (permalink)
D-series post SLUT

Quote:
Originally Posted by sxysweed View Post
Theoretical Budget Build. Just toying with ideas (as always).

Why spend $200+ on rods and $400+ on pistons if you only want ~200whp (but 'massive' torque)?

LS Rods machined to fit PLR/PLM pistons and a D17 crank = Cheap bottom end that'll hold more than the stock D17 rods and should be safe for a -small- turbo based build.
Theyve (stock d16 pistons) have held up to that much power on countless stock bottom end builds.

You should be researching the d17 crank/rods/d16 piston combo lol

Quote:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Security Question
*Required, this field is not shown to others: While balancing on a piece of wood, two inches by four inches known as a 2x4, john and his friend sally both spotted a dalmatian inside a truck with sirens, headed to put out a fire. State what kind of animal is mentioned in the sentence above.
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in