D17A1 - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org Motor Mayhem & Suspension Satisfaction 7th Gen

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-28-2010, 10:01 AM   #1 (permalink)
n00b

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Question D17A1

Hey Iv had an 04 DX sedan since it was new bought it off my parents, and have had it for a year now and after checking out most of the forums on this site i wanna get started on modifying it, now everyone is talking about swapping the A1 head for an A2, roughly how much would that come out too? and also is the exhaust setup for a DX different from an EX? cuz i had a friend telling me about the EX not having a Cat where the manifold is.

https://d-series.org/forums/images/smilie/wacko.gif
Blacked_OUTDseries is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-28-2010, 10:09 AM   #2 (permalink)
They call me Awesome!

Rep Power: 38 awebb is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !awebb is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
awebb is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !awebb is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !awebb is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !awebb is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !awebb is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !awebb is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !awebb is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 15 reviews

I have no idea how much a A2 head swap will cost!

And yes I'd assume the header on a DX is different than the header on the EX. On the less sporty models Honda typically placed the Cat closer to the exhaust ports (Helps with emissions). After the exhaust manifold, I'd assume that they're the same. Check Hondapartsdeals to verify.

I personally wouldn't bother trying to get that much HP out of a D17, Not my thing and I really don't care for them.

Advice; Search. And when you're done Search some more! It sounds like you're really REALLY new to cars, learn before you grab a wrench.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Have you checked
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
today?

Don't get your feelings hurt over some idiot's personal opinion, especially MINE!!!
awebb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-28-2010, 12:07 PM   #3 (permalink)
n00b

yea i am new to cars just touching up on the basics, thanks i will do

Old 10-28-2010, 12:20 PM   #4 (permalink)
They call me Awesome!

Rep Power: 38 awebb is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !awebb is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
awebb is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !awebb is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !awebb is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !awebb is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !awebb is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !awebb is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !awebb is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 15 reviews

Focus on cold air intake, header, and exhaust.

Have you checked
today?

Don't get your feelings hurt over some idiot's personal opinion, especially MINE!!!
awebb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-28-2010, 06:48 PM   #5 (permalink)

the ex exhaust has the cat, back past the front tires the dx, hx, lx have the cat on the header it's self. you can get an lx header I believe megan makes one. head swap depends if you have a shop do it is probably not going to be cheap if you are good enough and can handle a timing belt change you can pick up an A2 head for about $200 and just grab a new headgasket. just make sure it is in time. if you have the a2 head I highly recommend the crower stage 1 cam it is easy gives you a nice increase in power with no tuning and responds to bolt ons where normally the d17 doesn't

Bomerman19 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-29-2010, 12:44 AM   #6 (permalink)
n00b

alright sounds good thanks guys, and yeaa i just wanted to change the head first but if its $200 thats not too bad where abouts can i find one ? or should i try the junkyard? and if i do swap the head, and crower stage 1 cams should i change the ECU to an a2 also?
Old 10-29-2010, 12:45 AM   #7 (permalink)
n00b

and as for intakes, i live in BC so too much rain (puddles) snow so i think a cold air would suck up, im aiming for short ram
Old 10-29-2010, 05:27 AM   #8 (permalink)

hey thought i'd let you know that i did a2 head swap with stage 1 cam and its a kickass setup. ive got the megan header and 2.25 exhaust and i love it. most people will say the best thing to do is get a ex ecu and maybe a new harness or use your stock harness and repin for vtec and live with the CEL from the EGR. i went a different route and used apexi afc neo. this installs in under an hour and will give you vtec control and it is very very easy to use. i like it. you can also slightly adjust fuel which is a bonus. just an idea. to get one used you're probably looking at 200ish. maybe less. if you are interrested pm me because i got hondata kpro so i wont have a need for it in the future.
jamis33 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-01-2010, 05:30 PM   #9 (permalink)
n00b

Well i dont think i will be doin Turbo for the car in the future just wanna keep it at Exhaust,Intake,Headers, and some engine tuning what stage Cams would u recommend?
Old 11-01-2010, 05:38 PM   #10 (permalink)
D-series G0D

patprimmer Still a JDM Star....patprimmer Still a JDM Star....patprimmer Still a JDM Star....patprimmer Still a JDM Star....patprimmer Still a JDM Star....patprimmer Still a JDM Star....patprimmer Still a JDM Star....
iTrader Score: 7 reviews

How long is a piece of string.

How much power do you want.

How much low speed performance are you prepared to sacrifice.

How hard are you prepared to rev it to get the power.

How much fuel efficiency are you prepared to sacrifice.

I will always feed an inquisitive mind, prod a lazy noob and blast a disrespectful bum.

Believe none of what you hear and half of what you see.

Ignorance may be cured, stupid is forever.

my CRX thread

my intro

patprimmer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-01-2010, 07:06 PM   #11 (permalink)
n00b

iuonno about the String, but i dont want to sacrifice too much fuel efficiency either just want more power to the wheels honestly the D17a1 is just pussy, im not lookin to go upto 300HP or anything but even going up by 50-60Hp would be more than enough
Old 11-01-2010, 10:00 PM   #12 (permalink)

your only real option is either the crower stage 1 cam which will get you about 20-25 hp or nitrous i would go with the cam. if you want more you are going to have to step into the world of turbo or swap

Old 11-01-2010, 11:48 PM   #13 (permalink)
D-series G0D

patprimmer Still a JDM Star....patprimmer Still a JDM Star....patprimmer Still a JDM Star....patprimmer Still a JDM Star....patprimmer Still a JDM Star....patprimmer Still a JDM Star....patprimmer Still a JDM Star....
iTrader Score: 7 reviews

You are looking to increase an already fairly high output engine by 40%.

That won't happen NA without a real serious cam and good exhaust and maybe a bit of head and inlet system work.

The serious cam eill kill idle and power below about 4000 rpm. Needing to keep the revs up and the overlap the cam will need will kill mpg.

It would be a lot easier if you could use the head of a vtec version of the engine to start with.

You will also need a tunable ECU which I think is more difficult on an ODB2 engine.

Also raising the compression a bit will help. If you go to a serious cam, the compression will need a substantial boost to optimise.

I will always feed an inquisitive mind, prod a lazy noob and blast a disrespectful bum.

Believe none of what you hear and half of what you see.

Ignorance may be cured, stupid is forever.

my CRX thread

my intro

patprimmer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-03-2010, 12:24 PM   #14 (permalink)
n00b

Well im taking a K20A Swap into consideration just finding out how much the swap itself would come out to
Old 11-03-2010, 12:24 PM   #15 (permalink)
n00b

cuz the D17A1 engine is just wayyy too weak to really do much
Old 11-03-2010, 06:02 PM   #16 (permalink)

yeah I know what you mean...

my d17 is faster than any k I have come across hehehe

Old 11-03-2010, 08:36 PM   #17 (permalink)
n00b

LMAO really now? but how is it on gas cruising in the city? cuz with the engine u gotta punch it harder to get the power burns too much gas, well im still thinkin bout a SWAP Cuz i found a Engine and Tranny plus all components/parts for swap for about $1200 just wanna find out what kinda deal i can get on a swap
Old 11-04-2010, 08:46 AM   #18 (permalink)

it's not bad I get on average about 32-34 miles to the gallon on it if I am having a lot of fun with it it will drop down to 22 mpg but I am throwing a lot of fuel at it I need to take it up to jeff evans and get it tuned so it can make more power and get better gas milage

Old 11-04-2010, 09:15 AM   #19 (permalink)
n00b

LOL nicee what u got done to the car overall?
Old 11-04-2010, 01:36 PM   #20 (permalink)

this

https://www.d-series.org/forums/showc...ce-myself.html

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Security Question
*Required, this field is not shown to others: While balancing on a piece of wood, two inches by four inches known as a 2x4, john and his friend sally both spotted a dalmatian inside a truck with sirens, headed to put out a fire. State what kind of animal is mentioned in the sentence above.
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in