D17 tuning ? - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org Motor Mayhem & Suspension Satisfaction 7th Gen

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-16-2010, 01:18 PM   #1 (permalink)
n00b

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Default D17 tuning ?

Hi ... what the way to get 160HP or more on stock D17 VTEC engine ?

Thanx
sanad maghaireh is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-16-2010, 01:34 PM   #2 (permalink)

You need to search. It depends on what you are looking to do and how much money you have to spend. But godspeed sells a turbo kit with everything except your tuning solution. HONDA CIVIC 01-05 D17 T3 TURBO CHARGER KIT [TCK-011] - $1,400.00 : GodSpeed Project, The Art of Performance
jbb037 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-16-2010, 02:08 PM   #3 (permalink)
n00b

thanx ... but i think that i must be to change too many things in engine to install a turbo ... or this turbo can install in a stock D17 engine ? if i looking to change pistons , cams , stroker kit .... etc before turbo , maybe i will pay above $1500
sanad maghaireh is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2010, 05:14 PM   #4 (permalink)

you can install stock. You will be limited by how much power your stock rods can handle. And no one makes a stroker kit for the d17 engine. the only other thing you would need with that turbo kit is a tuning solution. This is less expensive than doing a motor swap
Old 10-16-2010, 05:18 PM   #5 (permalink)
D-series post SLUT

christopher_davis is about to kiss the skychristopher_davis is about to kiss the skychristopher_davis is about to kiss the skychristopher_davis is about to kiss the skychristopher_davis is about to kiss the skychristopher_davis is about to kiss the sky
iTrader Score: 23 reviews

jbb037's Avy
christopher_davis is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-16-2010, 05:34 PM   #6 (permalink)

Chris Davis:

Im Avy? lol im not entirely sure what that means
Old 10-16-2010, 05:46 PM   #7 (permalink)
All powerful D-series member

Rep Power: 25 speedfoos is the fucking MAN!!!!speedfoos is the fucking MAN!!!!speedfoos is the fucking MAN!!!!speedfoos is the fucking MAN!!!!
speedfoos is the fucking MAN!!!!speedfoos is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 22 reviews

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|
speedfoos is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-16-2010, 05:59 PM   #8 (permalink)
D-series PIMP

Rep Power: 11 wiledwhitecivic smells like Boratwiledwhitecivic smells like Boratwiledwhitecivic smells like Boratwiledwhitecivic smells like Boratwiledwhitecivic smells like Boratwiledwhitecivic smells like Borat
iTrader Score: 3 reviews

D17's are the bad ass stroker crank for d-series. Once I saw an after market stroker crank on line for d16's for $1100 and it wasn't even stroked as much as the d17 crank that some are running in d16's.
136.398mm b7 h-beam custom length, -11 vitaras, d15b7 block z6 head .039" mill. R.I.P. Cracked sleeve from detonation at 21 lbs 10/24/13. New build, same set up with b1 block, .035" milled off head, and Delta 272-2.
wiledwhitecivic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-16-2010, 06:07 PM   #9 (permalink)
D-series post SLUT

christopher_davis is about to kiss the skychristopher_davis is about to kiss the skychristopher_davis is about to kiss the skychristopher_davis is about to kiss the skychristopher_davis is about to kiss the skychristopher_davis is about to kiss the sky

Wiledwhitecivic: good story, just goes to show OEM upgrades are usually the best.

JBb037 Yeah I meant your avatar would be an easy 160-2xx whp upgrade for the OP. I always wondered if a 5th or 6th gen wiring harness/ stroked drive line could be swapped-in in it's entirety, including under dash harness and cluster just to make things a bit easier for tuning. I guess you'd be converting back to a dizzy but if you can tune it hey what's the big deal
Old 10-16-2010, 07:26 PM   #10 (permalink)

Ah, got ya now.

Its not the wiring thats the problem with the 7th gen. Its the ECU. Wires are just wires. And no other engines can be swapped in without custom work except for the k-series engines if that is what you were referring to.
Old 10-17-2010, 06:42 AM   #11 (permalink)
D-series post SLUT

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbb037 View Post
Ah, got ya now.

Its not the wiring thats the problem with the 7th gen. Its the ECU. Wires are just wires. And no other engines can be swapped in without custom work except for the k-series engines if that is what you were referring to.
I meant swap in older wiring harness/ use a dizzy/ and you'll have a chipable ECU. I know for 7th gens there's always k-pro but that is pricey.
Old 10-17-2010, 08:20 AM   #12 (permalink)

you cant put a distributor on a d17. Or if you could, it would be a shit ton of work that would never be worth it as direct coil-on-plug is much more accurate than a distributor because it is all electronic.
Old 10-17-2010, 12:49 PM   #13 (permalink)
D-series post SLUT

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbb037 View Post
you cant put a distributor on a d17. Or if you could, it would be a shit ton of work that would never be worth it as direct coil-on-plug is much more accurate than a distributor because it is all electronic.
NM
Old 10-18-2010, 09:40 PM   #14 (permalink)
D-series PIMP

Rep Power: 11 wiledwhitecivic smells like Boratwiledwhitecivic smells like Boratwiledwhitecivic smells like Boratwiledwhitecivic smells like Boratwiledwhitecivic smells like Boratwiledwhitecivic smells like Borat
iTrader Score: 3 reviews

So do you have to resort to the high dollar k-pro re-flash and daughter board set up, mega squirt, or afc hack with MSD BTM to tune these things?
136.398mm b7 h-beam custom length, -11 vitaras, d15b7 block z6 head .039" mill. R.I.P. Cracked sleeve from detonation at 21 lbs 10/24/13. New build, same set up with b1 block, .035" milled off head, and Delta 272-2.
wiledwhitecivic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-19-2010, 05:29 AM   #15 (permalink)

Rep Power: 25 speedfoos is the fucking MAN!!!!speedfoos is the fucking MAN!!!!speedfoos is the fucking MAN!!!!speedfoos is the fucking MAN!!!!

Piggybacks:
AEM F/IC
PCS-XFC
Greddy E-Mangle
VAFC-2 (no MSD hack)

Standalones:
Kpro
AEM EMS
Nobody who owns a 7GH is energetic enough to run MS

I've run both the PCS and Kpro and in my experience, they're the best in each class. While the PCS can't control timing nor does it include an onboard MAP sensor (like the F/IC does), it is rock solid for a piggyback and easy to use. Kpro is dreamy.

I've tuned on the F/IC and I don't like it. It's timing control is retard only, and quite honestly it seems flaky to me on the two cars that I've messed with it. I don't like it. Maybe a real tuner can work with it, but a backyard hack like me (IMO most Honda owners) had trouble with it.

|
|
|
Old 10-19-2010, 05:39 AM   #16 (permalink)
formerly allnaturalrex

Rep Power: 22 greasemonkey89 is the fucking MAN!!!!greasemonkey89 is the fucking MAN!!!!greasemonkey89 is the fucking MAN!!!!
greasemonkey89 is the fucking MAN!!!!greasemonkey89 is the fucking MAN!!!!greasemonkey89 is the fucking MAN!!!!greasemonkey89 is the fucking MAN!!!!greasemonkey89 is the fucking MAN!!!!greasemonkey89 is the fucking MAN!!!!greasemonkey89 is the fucking MAN!!!!greasemonkey89 is the fucking MAN!!!!greasemonkey89 is the fucking MAN!!!!greasemonkey89 is the fucking MAN!!!!greasemonkey89 is the fucking MAN!!!!greasemonkey89 is the fucking MAN!!!!greasemonkey89 is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 14 reviews
Send a message via AIM to greasemonkey89

i mean i don't no shit about the 7th gen civic just thinking practical at the moment.

the d17 as a whole doesn't seem very practical too me as a k swap once you dip into a k-pro and actually modding it. the problem too me with the d17 is its head,obd and lack of support which seems to be improving but doesn't seem as practical as the d16 which is so loved. 160hp is not that bad of a number it could be boosted and tuned but for the price i would go k-series. then again speedfoos has proved me wrong seeing what he has done with the d17 so hell what do i know.

"Aircooled Enthusiast/ D-Series Fanatic"

Resident D-series.org metalhead Alliance member #2
greasemonkey89 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-19-2010, 05:44 AM   #17 (permalink)
D-series PIMP

Rep Power: 16 christbone20 is a name known to allchristbone20 is a name known to allchristbone20 is a name known to allchristbone20 is a name known to allchristbone20 is a name known to allchristbone20 is a name known to allchristbone20 is a name known to allchristbone20 is a name known to allchristbone20 is a name known to allchristbone20 is a name known to all
iTrader Score: 14 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by christopher_davis View Post
I always wondered if a 5th or 6th gen wiring harness/ stroked drive line could be swapped-in in it's entirety, including under dash harness and cluster just to make things a bit easier for tuning. I guess you'd be converting back to a dizzy but if you can tune it hey what's the big deal
Its been done locally here in Atlandtic Canada. However they had to use two ecus. One to run the motor and one for the gauges on the dash.

More details here..

My Build Thread - Honda-Tech

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iJY3JHZ54Mo
Old 10-19-2010, 05:59 AM   #18 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by greasemonkey89 View Post
i mean i don't no shit about the 7th gen civic just thinking practical at the moment.

the d17 as a whole doesn't seem very practical too me as a k swap once you dip into a k-pro and actually modding it. the problem too me with the d17 is its head,obd and lack of support which seems to be improving but doesn't seem as practical as the d16 which is so loved. 160hp is not that bad of a number it could be boosted and tuned but for the price i would go k-series. then again speedfoos has proved me wrong seeing what he has done with the d17 so hell what do i know.
All it takes in money and determination.

I disagree on the head (roller rockers, good factory casting, a little pocket porting and they flow nicely), but you're spot on with everything else. 7th gens are comfy have a lot of bennies (power windows, locks, sun roof, comfy seats, good looking interior) but, as with all D-series, folks who mod them are doing it because they have something to prove.

Its the underdog of all underdogs.

|
|
|
Old 10-19-2010, 07:46 AM   #19 (permalink)

I think the d17 does show a lot of potential tho. I mean with kpro the d17 is pretty amazing. the fact that there are several people putting down 190+ on only 6psi is very impressive. The fact that several people have broken 240 on stock map sensor and that the stock block is capable of handling close to 300hp is awesome. the d17 has actually come a long way in the last 3ish years
jamis33 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-19-2010, 01:23 PM   #20 (permalink)
El Noob

Rep Power: 27 LoSt GhoSt Still a JDM Star....LoSt GhoSt Still a JDM Star....
LoSt GhoSt Still a JDM Star....LoSt GhoSt Still a JDM Star....LoSt GhoSt Still a JDM Star....
iTrader Score: 18 reviews
Send a message via Yahoo to LoSt GhoSt

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedfoos View Post
All it takes in money and determination.

I disagree on the head (roller rockers, good factory casting, a little pocket porting and they flow nicely), but you're spot on with everything else. 7th gens are comfy have a lot of bennies (power windows, locks, sun roof, comfy seats, good looking interior) but, as with all D-series, folks who mod them are doing it because they have something to prove.

Its the underdog of all underdogs.
This is the man you should be talking to when it comes to the D17. Look his threads up. Had one once upon a time.
LoSt GhoSt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Security Question
*Required, this field is not shown to others: While balancing on a piece of wood, two inches by four inches known as a 2x4, john and his friend sally both spotted a dalmatian inside a truck with sirens, headed to put out a fire. State what kind of animal is mentioned in the sentence above.
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in