Skatejosh's D17 that never could - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org Motor Mayhem & Suspension Satisfaction 7th Gen

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-05-2010, 05:46 PM   #1 (permalink)
n00b

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via AIM to skatejosh369
Default Skatejosh's D17 that never could

Well here is my "old" build thread. Just joined up on here and figured Id post this up on here. Some will hate but the car will be kswaped by the end of the month. I never got the d17 to dd status and I got burnt out of it just like many in the past have. I will miss it but here it is.

P.S.
Clint (speedfoos) and Paul (bomerman) I OWE a 2nd life to them. They have helped me out a ton with this build as well as Adam (greenie) and many others as well but a HUGE thank you still goes out to Clint and Paul for all the help they have given me! Two of the best people Ive had the privilege to meet.

Sorry for all the post BTW. Only 8 pictures per post

Engine mods:
t3/t4 super 60 trim which is about to blow
RC-750cc injectors
HKS BOV and tail 38mm WG
CX racing FMIC
Dezod IC piping
Dezod log mani
Custom 'foos catch can
12" slimline fans
Kpro with hondata 4bar map sensor
AEM UEGO wideband
3" exhaust from dp back 3" dp is AC compatible BTW
Crower custom cam
crower springs and retainers
JDMfabtec intake manifold
Warbrol 255 fuel pump

Here is where the install starts 5-24-2009
I copy and pasted over
Drove down to speedfoos house to start the install weekend. Big thanks to Paul (aka bomerman) for driving down to Clints place from Virginia to help us the first two days. When we could get him to stop talking, he did some really good work!

Time spent:

Friday - 7 hours
Saturday - 15 hours
Sunday - 6 hours

So yeah, 28 hours of tool time to knock this installation out. During this time we made the downpipe, dumptube, re-did the exhaust, re-did the charge piping, bumper defabrication, we didn't have 2.5" exhaust flange so we made one out of some spare 1/4" steel plate I had in the garage, installed the gauges, AEM F/IC and a quick street tune (thanks again for the basemap Jonathan!) and everything else involved with the a turbo installation.

Things did not go smoothly, however we came out on top. As a note for folks, stock Honda clips do NOT/NOT work with SRT-based injectors. The clips physically fit over the injectors but they do no make contact with the injector pins. We discovered that today when we attempted the first start-up. Had everything but fuel. Sunday in North Carolina is not a good time to source SRT injector clips so some speaker wire and spade terminals will work until I can pick some up next week.

Don't laugh, it works and they aren't coming out unless you want them to.

Josh wanted stealth and he got it. After cutting the bumper inside to fit the non-dezod (thank God) intercooler, Paul put the fascia back in. Josh just needs to glue the fog lense back over the hole and it's completely stealth.

But it's installed and aside from a couple minor tweaks, the car runs pretty damn good at 4 PSI. This is on a stock LX motor, AEM F/IC, no head studs (yet), with Stage 0 SRT injectors. More to come.......

Money shots. Anything look familiar?

[/QUOTE]

Got the fog light cover on with some clear RTV so I could be some what sleeper

Next upgrade that came along 8-3-2009

Successes

- Rod bolts
- head swap
- 3" AC compliant DP
- 3" exhaust
- clutch swap
- Battery relocation
- oil drain line unfuck
- injector clips
- boost controller
- Fix CEL for secondary O2 sensor by re-wiring harness

Failures
- Unable to engage VTEC with RPM window switch
- Primary O2 sensor shit the bed
- unable to tune due to above issues

The RPM window switch from Summit (house brand) had a faulty LED bar so we couldn't tell what setting was what and even it was not faulty, I don't think we could have figured out how to program it. Need a better window switch - one with either dials or RPM 'pills' - or kpro.

Not sure why the primary O2 sensor decided to up and die on us, but it did.

That's that. Approximately 30 hours of wrenching on the car this weekend. It was fun, we all learned something, and in some cases several things, and was overall a great weekend. But I know we are all exhausted.
(again went down to speedfoos house and bomerman came down)

Last edited by skatejosh369; 10-05-2010 at 05:57 PM.
skatejosh369 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-05-2010, 05:49 PM   #2 (permalink)
n00b

Continued from above[/B]
For some reason, my AC fan was making a terrible noise. Now we know why. Seems there was not as much clearance on the dumptube as we needed there to be....

Paul didn't believe Clint when he said that he could make a 3" downpipe out of pie cuts and have it be AC compliant. So he poked a hole in the AC condensor. It was super awesome and smelled really nice. I hope it ate a hole in the ozone and melted some more polar ice caps.

We could not get the passenger side axle out of the hub for anything. The nut came off, but the axle would not back out. Clint even hit it with a lot of flame and pretty colors with the acetylene torch and it would not budge. Please note the OSHA-approved footwear. Safety first, kids.

And out comes the motor!

Hi there empty engine bay. It sure makes it easier when you have a hoist.

Old 10-05-2010, 05:50 PM   #3 (permalink)
n00b

Rod bolts going in. We found a bunch of loose casting flash in the pan from the block so we cleaned all of that out. Nice quality control, Honda.

Wait. What's this Adam? Is that what looks like the mocking up of an AC-compliant 3" downpipe? I believe it is.
And you can see the twisted return line in this picture as well.

Love you Adam.

Next day and the engine bay is still empty. Our magical worker gnomes did not fill the engine bay back up. Little bastards. They're probably belong to a union.

Looks like we have to make do with the house gnomes then.

5 minutes later and the engine is back in. The frankenpipe is pretty much complete and in place as well. Beastly.

Old 10-05-2010, 05:50 PM   #4 (permalink)
n00b

The D17 throttle body is a great place to store beer. This particular flavor is nasty FYI.

They even taught me how to weld this weekend. Once again, always wear long sleeves, a hat, proper footwear and work on a flame-proof surface.

The FDM 3" downpipe.

Look mom! No more speaker wire!

And it's all done. Have a couple money shots.

POS window switch. For those of you that don't know, you see that little black jimmer-jammer with the single blue wire coming out of it? That is a factory RPM access point. If you don't have a tach or feel the need to wire up that giant 12-inch digital monster with 8 shift lifts and a foot massager, use the blue wire as your RPM signal.

[/QUOTE]
Old 10-05-2010, 05:51 PM   #5 (permalink)
n00b

10-05-2009

Picked up a few new goodies today
Well picked up a few things today
kpro
boost solenoid
hondata 4bar map sensor
cam gear
a pretty snazy tshirt
fuel pump
and motor mount inserts

IMG]http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f302/skatejosh369/IMG_0657.jpg[/IMG]

10-24-2009 next install day
Arrival day

The Top Secret cam

Old 10-05-2010, 05:51 PM   #6 (permalink)
n00b

And as always, Gerry's work of art. You are a genius Gerry, I love your work.

And some action shots. Real back tweaker doing valve lash with motor in the car.

Cam gear goodness. In retrospect, we should have just pulled the crank pulley and adjusted the tensioner but we used brute force and ignorance to get the belt on and off.

More lash.

Old 10-05-2010, 05:52 PM   #7 (permalink)
n00b

Installing the Walbro. Still one of the easiest things to do during a boost install.

I am so happy to have VTEC and a smooth running car again. I have a slight seep from the lower oil return fitting - cheapass Ebay oil line kit FTL - that needs to be replaced, but other than that, this car is pretty much done.

For now.

Until the rest of the upgrades!

11-7-2009
Day before tuning at Top Dead Center

Tunning will not happen tomorrow.
I have to pull my head off due to keepers coming off on #3 cylinder which I have no idea how that happen, but it did. I might have to replace that piston as well to go with that on #3, due to hitting mad vtak, im getting towed back home thursday afternoon (thanks dad for getting AAA back for me) to the house to pull the bastard head off and put a new valve in and see if anything was done to the piston, which paul thinks something could have.
I remember when I started talking to Clint when he was Uk was " will my motor be reliable on boost?" He said well maybe lol. That was his exact words lol. I guess you see some problems that can come from it, which I dont think that this came from boost but it still happen.

But tunning is off for a while and now its on to fixing this bitch AGAIN!!!!

We call this "emfuckered".

11-16-2009

Here are the pics from this weekend. Sorry for low quality. They are iphone pics.

Going on to the tow truck

Arrived at home and pulling it off the truck

Everything pulled off
Old 10-05-2010, 05:54 PM   #8 (permalink)
n00b

Continued from above
12-11-2009
This was the next time I could get to the car
Well everything is done except the timing belt. I got tired of playing with it went and ate and didnt feel like doing anything after that. Took about a hour of hard work to fix the rocker arm though and I sealed up the sandwich adapter better this time isschair:.

It will be up as soon as I can get that belt on though lol

Here is something new I did though.

12-18-2009
Well a quick little update.

Car is back up and running great. I can not post pictures right now due to my laptop being sent off to get repaired. I might not be getting it back for a few weeks. My mom got a call tonight saying that her mom is not doing well, so I will prob. be heading to the mountains tomorrow morning to spend time with her. Im very close to her and my nerves have been pretty tore up since I got the news about this but I hope all is well.

Anyways, rocker arm assembly, on the rocker that I messed up the valve adjustment screw was bent and stuck in the rocker. I took it to a machine shop right up the road, and the guy said it would take him about 1-2 hours to get it out and with the going rate at 65$ per hour I decided I would pass and give it a shot myself.
I sit and worked it for a solid hour with vicegrips and a screw driver. I put a new one in worked it back and forth with a drill and its smooth as butter now. Luckly Paul was coming up and he set timing for me. Thats one thing that Ive never liked doing.
Fixed the oil leak, and crunk the bitch up. Ran perfect. Ive maybe drove it 15 miles the past 2 days though. But it is nice to have it running good again. I think I know what caused the problem though.

Carbon fiber trunk is here. Ive got to get the time up to throw it on, and also the new gauge cluster will be wired in soon and I can finally get rid of this white faced auto cluster.

A HUGE thanks to Paul for making the trip down. Had a good time hanging out with you once again man. Sorry about your NC luck but Im glad we where able to get it back up and running again. Its good to know when you have friends like him. Super good guy. I hope we can all get a chance one day to just hang out but none of us seem to have luck with these cars lol. But really paul thanks a ton man. If you ever need anything let me know man. You have all my numbers and you are always more than welcome to crash at my place any time you need to man.

Another tuning day set up
2-11-2009
Installed some Tein Coilovers as well
Ive drove it 3 times since Ive fixed her lol. If the exhaust does not bust open Ill be fine.

and a sneak peak

Ended up snowing and could not tune though once again....
Old 10-05-2010, 05:54 PM   #9 (permalink)
n00b

2-21-2010 Trip to VegaS10s
One of my favorite investments ive made. So comfy and I love them. One of 36 sets in the USA according to steve at hmotorsonline.com

3-01-2010 New Cluster Installed
Old 10-05-2010, 05:55 PM   #10 (permalink)
n00b

3-20-2010
PNP head installed
EBCS installed
Half Radiator installed

Only Pictures I got from that weeked

I did happen to get a few...

My saudering iron is on roids...

Old 10-05-2010, 05:57 PM   #11 (permalink)
n00b

3-25-2010 First night at the track
Went to the track tonight and I for sure need some drag radials or some slicks.

Did a few tweaks to the map but Im gonna talk to some people that have ran a bit more than me to help me out with some things in there. One thing I know for sure is getting my launch control right. It did "OKAY" but nothing super good. I couldnt ever seem to get my tires good and hot to where I needed them though either.

Pass one-9.74
Pass two- 10.13
Pass three- 9.54
Pass four- 10.24 and spun the whole way up the track

I still have a lot of learning and fine tuning to do on the track. Paul and Clint I'm going to send you guys my datalogs from tonight later on.

BTW broke a bracket on the exhaust and the shit is on the ground now. I hear it pop one time when I was getting bad wheel hop

3-31-2010

Hit a brick going about 85mph on I85. Busted my radiator and bumper popped off the car. But got her back up and running now just no bumper lol

Present look before the brick in the road

Old 10-05-2010, 09:25 PM   #12 (permalink)
All powerful D-series member

Rep Power: 25 speedfoos is the fucking MAN!!!!speedfoos is the fucking MAN!!!!speedfoos is the fucking MAN!!!!speedfoos is the fucking MAN!!!!
speedfoos is the fucking MAN!!!!speedfoos is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 22 reviews

Moar pics! This was a nice walk down memory lane.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|
speedfoos is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-06-2010, 07:18 AM   #13 (permalink)
n00b

I cant really find many more besides from the last time I was down at your place, which I dont have on photobucket. You might?

Was a nice walk. Sorta miss it now.

Old 10-06-2010, 09:07 AM   #14 (permalink)
Classic Man

Rep Power: 59 FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 6 reviews

its all about the journey not the destination! thats why i do everything myself!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry Ford
Whether you think you can, or you think you can't--you're right.
FarmerD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-06-2010, 09:13 AM   #15 (permalink)
n00b

Going into this build I barley knew how to change my own oil.

I for sure learned a ton doing this build.

Old 10-06-2010, 09:46 AM   #16 (permalink)
All powerful D-series member

Rep Power: 25 speedfoos is the fucking MAN!!!!speedfoos is the fucking MAN!!!!speedfoos is the fucking MAN!!!!speedfoos is the fucking MAN!!!!
speedfoos is the fucking MAN!!!!speedfoos is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 22 reviews

I'm just here to see you say "crunk it up" again. Hillbilly.

I found some more pics....

After Josh bitched out and gave up on his boosted setup, we decided to go for form over function on the build.

Custom VC "airbrushing".

And then we worked some accent colors into the bay to really help it pop. The wire tuck helped too.

For some reason Paul (bomerman) is the only guy without a shirt in my garage. I think Bryan has this picture taped to his rearview mirror....

There's a rumor we're kswapping though. We'll see how much we can break on the car this time around.

|
|
|

Last edited by speedfoos; 10-17-2010 at 07:14 AM.
speedfoos is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-06-2010, 12:03 PM   #17 (permalink)

so josh you're going k20 now?
jamis33 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-06-2010, 12:31 PM   #18 (permalink)
n00b

Seems to be the rumor.

Old 10-13-2010, 04:48 PM   #19 (permalink)

what no pictures of me showing up at your house on a flatbed! lol

and I'm looking HOT!!! LMAO

Bomerman19 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-17-2010, 06:44 AM   #20 (permalink)
D-Series cadet

Rep Power: 11 sleepy will become famous soon enoughsleepy will become famous soon enoughsleepy will become famous soon enough
iTrader Score: 6 reviews

Custy valve cover!

sleepy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Security Question
*Required, this field is not shown to others: While balancing on a piece of wood, two inches by four inches known as a 2x4, john and his friend sally both spotted a dalmatian inside a truck with sirens, headed to put out a fire. State what kind of animal is mentioned in the sentence above.
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in