D17 swap into 97 ek hatch - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org Motor Mayhem & Suspension Satisfaction 7th Gen

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-30-2010, 07:34 PM   #1 (permalink)
n00b

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Default D17 swap into 97 ek hatch

got the d17 out of an 04 civic for free and the d16 in the hatch now is about to die on me so i figure why not try and put this motor in it since it was free... just wondering what kind of work/wiring would go into this swap?
trotter06 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-30-2010, 07:37 PM   #2 (permalink)
\/ apply baby lotion here \/

Rep Power: 46 Pata is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Pata is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Pata is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Pata is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Pata is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
Pata is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Pata is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Pata is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Pata is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Pata is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Pata is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 136 reviews

ok?

where are the pics of what you're doing?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Pata is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-30-2010, 07:40 PM   #3 (permalink)
n00b

havent started yet... just seeing if its possible and what kind of a headache i could possibly be in for

Old 09-30-2010, 07:42 PM   #4 (permalink)
\/ apply baby lotion here \/

Rep Power: 46 Pata is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Pata is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Pata is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Pata is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Pata is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
Pata is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Pata is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Pata is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Pata is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Pata is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Pata is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 136 reviews

what's wrong with your D16y7 right now?

Pata is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-01-2010, 03:49 AM   #5 (permalink)
n00b

misfiring on cylinder 1,3,4 when im on the interstate pretty sure either the head gasket is blown or the head is cracked cause it is starting to use water and now its starting to cut out on me when im driving on the interstate and the motor also has 280,xxx on it

Last edited by trotter06; 10-01-2010 at 04:14 AM.
Old 10-01-2010, 04:18 AM   #6 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 10 EKHatch_y8turbo is starting to learn the ropesEKHatch_y8turbo is starting to learn the ropesEKHatch_y8turbo is starting to learn the ropesEKHatch_y8turbo is starting to learn the ropesEKHatch_y8turbo is starting to learn the ropesEKHatch_y8turbo is starting to learn the ropesEKHatch_y8turbo is starting to learn the ropes
iTrader Score: 1 reviews

id say headaches are probably not worth it as much as just selling the d17 you got and getting a y8 head and rebuild your y7 bottom end or just do a y8 swap and rebuild the y8
OR just rebuild your y7 with the money you get from the d17

Hate if you must but my body kit was free...urethane buddy club~ u'd think since i didn't spend the money on the kit i could afford paint... i like mine with no shine

my thread : (updated frequently new pics added 8/19/2011
)

EKHatch_y8turbo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-01-2010, 09:04 AM   #7 (permalink)

i agree. the obd2b system that d17 uses is just too annoying to deal with. not to mention converting to cable shift linkage and making custom brackets etc.
jamis33 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-01-2010, 09:22 AM   #8 (permalink)
D-Series cadet

Rep Power: 11 Infamous909 is da #1 stunnaInfamous909 is da #1 stunnaInfamous909 is da #1 stunnaInfamous909 is da #1 stunnaInfamous909 is da #1 stunnaInfamous909 is da #1 stunnaInfamous909 is da #1 stunna

Quote:
Originally Posted by EKHatch_y8turbo View Post
id say headaches are probably not worth it as much as just selling the d17 you got and getting a y8 head and rebuild your y7 bottom end or just do a y8 swap and rebuild the y8
OR just rebuild your y7 with the money you get from the d17
THIS ^^

The money you could get for the D17 would offset the headache you would run across
Old 10-01-2010, 12:10 PM   #9 (permalink)

BUT to be fair the d17 has some good advantages too. For example the d17 is able to use hondata kpro which some would argue makes it more easily tunable tha anything else. Trust me i have first hand experience and kpro on d17 is deffinitely worth it
Old 10-01-2010, 12:23 PM   #10 (permalink)
D-Series cadet

Rep Power: 11 Infamous909 is da #1 stunnaInfamous909 is da #1 stunnaInfamous909 is da #1 stunnaInfamous909 is da #1 stunnaInfamous909 is da #1 stunnaInfamous909 is da #1 stunnaInfamous909 is da #1 stunna

id rather Stay Obd1 or 2 without the hassles then go with a pain in the ass route just to use the Kpro

Thats just My opinion
Old 10-01-2010, 01:15 PM   #11 (permalink)
D-series post SLUT

christopher_davis is about to kiss the skychristopher_davis is about to kiss the skychristopher_davis is about to kiss the skychristopher_davis is about to kiss the skychristopher_davis is about to kiss the skychristopher_davis is about to kiss the sky
iTrader Score: 23 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamis33 View Post
BUT to be fair the d17 has some good advantages too. For example the d17 is able to use hondata kpro which some would argue makes it more easily tunable tha anything else. Trust me i have first hand experience and kpro on d17 is deffinitely worth it
Depends what you want and how much you wan't to spend. Sounds like you've already made your decision
christopher_davis is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-01-2010, 01:39 PM   #12 (permalink)
n00b

i also have a DOHC ZC motor that was my first swap and i wrecked the car 1 month after the swap so i kept the motor... would it be easier to go this route? i really want to specifics of what would have to be done for the d17 to work?
Old 10-01-2010, 01:53 PM   #13 (permalink)
All powerful D-series member

siregcivic is almost there....siregcivic is almost there....siregcivic is almost there....siregcivic is almost there....siregcivic is almost there....siregcivic is almost there....siregcivic is almost there....siregcivic is almost there....siregcivic is almost there....
iTrader Score: 5 reviews
Send a message via AIM to siregcivic

dohc zc swap will bolt RIGHT IN but you have to convert to obd1 because dohc zc swap doesnt use the crank sensor..

doing the d17 swap will take some time, just for the fact that the wiring is different, there is no distributor you have to use coil pacs its not worth it man just sell the d17 ...

its going to cost you A LOT of money to get the d17 to fit and run in anything other then what the come in ... just sell it trust me i dont really care how good hondata is and how easy it is to tune, thats not the problem, all the wiring your going to have to do to even get the car to turn over is the problem

SOBER TILL ITS OVER

Quote:
can you tell me how to hook up a vtech switch?
i want it on the new steering wheel i got at pep boys. have you seen it its sick!
but if i hook up the vtech i can have it at like whatever rpms i want right?
like vtech all the time? will it pop louder?
Quote:
Just hook it up to a clapper and slap yourself in the face everytime you race......
siregcivic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-01-2010, 02:25 PM   #14 (permalink)
n00b

thank you siregcivic... anyone wanna buy a d17
Old 10-01-2010, 04:41 PM   #15 (permalink)

siregcivic is almost there....siregcivic is almost there....siregcivic is almost there....siregcivic is almost there....siregcivic is almost there....siregcivic is almost there....siregcivic is almost there....siregcivic is almost there....siregcivic is almost there....
iTrader Score: 5 reviews
Send a message via AIM to siregcivic

Quote:
Originally Posted by trotter06 View Post
thank you siregcivic... anyone wanna buy a d17
since you have a low post count your best bet is craigslist that way you dont get a red dot

SOBER TILL ITS OVER

Quote:
can you tell me how to hook up a vtech switch?
i want it on the new steering wheel i got at pep boys. have you seen it its sick!
but if i hook up the vtech i can have it at like whatever rpms i want right?
like vtech all the time? will it pop louder?
Quote:
Just hook it up to a clapper and slap yourself in the face everytime you race......
siregcivic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-02-2010, 07:49 AM   #16 (permalink)

yeah thats true. i only push the d17 cuz people always hate on it and i have a 7thgen and i think its a great motor.
Old 10-04-2010, 07:22 AM   #17 (permalink)

Rep Power: 23 scottdh20 is the fucking MAN!!!!scottdh20 is the fucking MAN!!!!scottdh20 is the fucking MAN!!!!scottdh20 is the fucking MAN!!!!
scottdh20 is the fucking MAN!!!!scottdh20 is the fucking MAN!!!!scottdh20 is the fucking MAN!!!!scottdh20 is the fucking MAN!!!!scottdh20 is the fucking MAN!!!!scottdh20 is the fucking MAN!!!!scottdh20 is the fucking MAN!!!!scottdh20 is the fucking MAN!!!!scottdh20 is the fucking MAN!!!!scottdh20 is the fucking MAN!!!!scottdh20 is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 14 reviews

techniquely couldnt you snatch up a wire harness and ecu from a 7th gen and use that to run the motor and keep the stock ecu from the 97 for all other operations? i have seen some bastard set-up running different motors from different make and models and i have seen a few that runn 2 ecus om for the car and one for the motor.....

that being said mounts would have to be fabbed up and i didnt know they had cable trans if so that would have to be delt with as well......i think its doable, i think its a bit different, but really your gonna end up with the same power as a d16........but i have a better idea for you....

https://www.d-series.org/forums/engin...ine-build.html

https://www.d-series.org/forums/showc...sting-d18.html

How to hook up turbo coolant lines

BUILD THREAD

Everyone has a little farmyard in them

scottdh20 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-04-2010, 11:20 AM   #18 (permalink)

also the d17 sits in a subframe which the hatch does not have think of the d17 as a k that is single cam and spins the other way. it's is alot easier to go with another d other than the 17

and the d17 sucks

Bomerman19 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-04-2010, 03:52 PM   #19 (permalink)

Rep Power: 25 speedfoos is the fucking MAN!!!!speedfoos is the fucking MAN!!!!speedfoos is the fucking MAN!!!!speedfoos is the fucking MAN!!!!
speedfoos is the fucking MAN!!!!speedfoos is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 22 reviews

Paul, don't hate, you know you love your D17.

That said, to the OP, its not worth it. Much more cost effective to use a D16 of any other flavor than a D17. Kpro is cool but so is S300, Neptune and Crome - and all of those are way cheaper than kpro.

|
|
|
speedfoos is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-04-2010, 07:43 PM   #20 (permalink)
D-series post SLUT

christopher_davis is about to kiss the skychristopher_davis is about to kiss the skychristopher_davis is about to kiss the skychristopher_davis is about to kiss the skychristopher_davis is about to kiss the skychristopher_davis is about to kiss the sky
iTrader Score: 23 reviews

^^Here's good advice from a reputable source, take it or leave it. Mr.D17 master

Either way post pics of build
christopher_davis is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Security Question
*Required, this field is not shown to others: While balancing on a piece of wood, two inches by four inches known as a 2x4, john and his friend sally both spotted a dalmatian inside a truck with sirens, headed to put out a fire. State what kind of animal is mentioned in the sentence above.
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in