d17 and d16 heads? - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org Motor Mayhem & Suspension Satisfaction 7th Gen

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-07-2010, 03:03 PM  
D-Series cadet

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Question d17 and d16 heads?

whats the difference between the two? besides the difference in the valve cover and from what i see they look like the d17 has direct coil packs...need some help here. was wanting to get a d17 head or valve cover a least itll work. thanks
97sohc_d00d is offline   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-07-2010, 06:27 PM  
D-series lover

iTrader Score: 1 reviews

The difference is that the oil passageways on the D17 heads are in different locations than their D16 counterparts. In other words a D17 head won't work on a D16 block and vice versa. Unless you want to redo the oil passageways.
tabKola is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 09-08-2010, 01:28 PM  
D-Series cadet

okay thanks man and what about the valve covers? did i see it right does the d17 have like direct coil packs? id like to that that if possible
97sohc_d00d is offline   Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2010, 06:20 AM  
All powerful D-series member

Rep Power: 22 HondaDNA is the fucking MAN!!!!HondaDNA is the fucking MAN!!!!HondaDNA is the fucking MAN!!!!
HondaDNA is the fucking MAN!!!!HondaDNA is the fucking MAN!!!!HondaDNA is the fucking MAN!!!!HondaDNA is the fucking MAN!!!!HondaDNA is the fucking MAN!!!!HondaDNA is the fucking MAN!!!!HondaDNA is the fucking MAN!!!!HondaDNA is the fucking MAN!!!!HondaDNA is the fucking MAN!!!!HondaDNA is the fucking MAN!!!!HondaDNA is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 6 reviews
Send a message via AIM to HondaDNA

D17 has COP(Coil On Plug) so yes the valve cover has a little stud to mount the COP. D17's use OBD2B and have other sensors not on the D16 so it wouldn't be easy/cheap to convert a D16 to use COP from a D17.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
Funny enough, Honda did a writeup on how to do that because it is one if the most difficult things to do to...
HondaDNA is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 09-11-2010, 09:33 AM  

I believe AEM does COP for the D16. Not entirely positive. But you have to program it as the COP are electronically controlled. So, its not a simple setup. And its expensive.
jbb037 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 09-12-2010, 06:34 PM  

Rep Power: 22 HondaDNA is the fucking MAN!!!!HondaDNA is the fucking MAN!!!!HondaDNA is the fucking MAN!!!!
HondaDNA is the fucking MAN!!!!HondaDNA is the fucking MAN!!!!HondaDNA is the fucking MAN!!!!HondaDNA is the fucking MAN!!!!HondaDNA is the fucking MAN!!!!HondaDNA is the fucking MAN!!!!HondaDNA is the fucking MAN!!!!HondaDNA is the fucking MAN!!!!HondaDNA is the fucking MAN!!!!HondaDNA is the fucking MAN!!!!HondaDNA is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 6 reviews
Send a message via AIM to HondaDNA

AEM EMS

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
Funny enough, Honda did a writeup on how to do that because it is one if the most difficult things to do to...

Last edited by HondaDNA; 09-12-2010 at 11:00 PM.
HondaDNA is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 09-12-2010, 07:05 PM  
D-series G0D

Rep Power: 32 mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 10 reviews

valvecover and cam fit d16y7

cam gear wont fit correctly without timing cover and cylinder head trimming if I recall correctly

d17 head sucks! oiling and cooling ports/passages dont match up 100%. you wil be pumping oil down teh front of the block hardcore with the drains exposed

2003 Hyundai Sonata GLS 2.7 Delta 197k

1998 Cadillac Seville SLS just broke 100k
2001 civic LX coupe MTX 199k
Sometimes, the difficult path is the easiest path
D/B/F/H/K compression questions?

Build what you have!

mattliston is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 09-13-2010, 11:53 AM  
Formerly 95RedVXCivic

Rep Power: 11 Sarge is almost a somebodySarge is almost a somebodySarge is almost a somebodySarge is almost a somebody
iTrader Score: 8 reviews
Send a message via Skype™ to Sarge

sounds to me like the d17 is a partial bastard d series like the b20a5 is the bastard b series!

Need and ecu converted/chipped/socketed? PM me.

Speed cost, how fast can you afford to go?

"While it is legal for the police to lie, they may not unreasonably pressure a suspect to commit a crime."

My for sale thread!
Sarge is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 09-13-2010, 03:31 PM  

Rep Power: 25 speedfoos is the fucking MAN!!!!speedfoos is the fucking MAN!!!!speedfoos is the fucking MAN!!!!speedfoos is the fucking MAN!!!!
speedfoos is the fucking MAN!!!!speedfoos is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 22 reviews

I wouldn't go so far as saying the head sucks - its just not interchangeable with anything else very easily. Its by far the cleanest factory casting I've seen so far on a SOHC Honda head. Compared to the A6, Y7, B2 and Y8 heads I've had my hands on they put a lot more quality control into the casting process of the D17 head. Everything else is true though.

|
|
|
speedfoos is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 09-14-2010, 04:15 PM  
Canihazmoniez

zero183 is about to kiss the skyzero183 is about to kiss the skyzero183 is about to kiss the skyzero183 is about to kiss the skyzero183 is about to kiss the skyzero183 is about to kiss the skyzero183 is about to kiss the skyzero183 is about to kiss the sky
iTrader Score: 1 reviews

AEM has the pencil coils that some people use such as Bisi
#1 Sedan Hater
zero183 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 09-26-2010, 01:26 AM  
n00b

Hey. I'm not sure if this is relevant to anyone, but I took a d16z6 and had the block cut out to accept a d17 crankshaft. I also used aftermarket d16 rods and custom pistons because it was going to be a turbo application. The rod thickness is actually less on the d17, so the I had the rods shaved by .030 in., I think. It was kind of a pain in the ass, but if you buy a d17 engine, you can make everything work so that you get a 1.7L sohc engine that looks like a 1.6 and fits into the older cars very easily. If I remember correctly, I wanted to try to use the d17 head and the head bolts didn't even line up though. I could be wrong though, as this was about 2 years ago and I was being paid to build the car for someone else.
keenanmeboy is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 09-26-2010, 04:50 PM  
D-series G0D

Rep Power: 32 mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !

Build what you have!

Old 09-26-2010, 05:25 PM  
Formerly 95RedVXCivic

Rep Power: 11 Sarge is almost a somebodySarge is almost a somebodySarge is almost a somebodySarge is almost a somebody
iTrader Score: 8 reviews
Send a message via Skype™ to Sarge

Need and ecu converted/chipped/socketed? PM me.

Speed cost, how fast can you afford to go?

"While it is legal for the police to lie, they may not unreasonably pressure a suspect to commit a crime."

My for sale thread!
Sarge is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 09-27-2010, 07:41 AM  
D-series G0D

I like how he says it needed the block to be worked on to accept the d17 crank

it fits right in.

Build what you have!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Security Question
*Required, this field is not shown to others: While balancing on a piece of wood, two inches by four inches known as a 2x4, john and his friend sally both spotted a dalmatian inside a truck with sirens, headed to put out a fire. State what kind of animal is mentioned in the sentence above.
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in