D17A2? NA Recommendations - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org » Motor Mayhem & Suspension Satisfaction » 7th Gen

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-18-2004, 08:11 PM   #1 (permalink)
TypeN

Default D17A2? NA Recommendations

Have manual 04 Civc Vi(Australian), I know its not the most powerful engine (96kw\120Hp) and that it is more fuel economic vehicle but would really like to gain more performance out of this puppy!!! will appreciate some info about this engine (D17A2) and any ideas on intake, exhaust, headers etc..... I been reading and searching the net and all these honda forums and have some ideas of what to look for but dont know what exactly will give me best performance out of this engine in particular I dont want to spend the money if I will get nothing out of it at all but shurely I/E/H would give me more power wouldn't it? if so roughly how much of an increase? please give me some direction oh great ones
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-23-2004, 11:28 AM   #2 (permalink)
All powerful D-series member

custom_junky is a Top Aussiecustom_junky is a Top Aussiecustom_junky is a Top Aussiecustom_junky is a Top Aussiecustom_junky is a Top Aussiecustom_junky is a Top Aussiecustom_junky is a Top Aussiecustom_junky is a Top Aussiecustom_junky is a Top Aussiecustom_junky is a Top Aussiecustom_junky is a Top Aussie
iTrader Score: 4 reviews

rage racing is developing a nice header for our cars right now, hold tight and they may have a real good one for naturally aspirated cars. as for the intake look at the aem cold air or v2, i know from personal experience about the cold air (has real good gains for the price). as for the exhuast your guess is as good as mine, i'm going to get the RS-R Ex Mag when i get the money, but i'm going for more of a sleeper look. do some research on the intake mani, i've some good ones, but i forgot where. just do some searching on google or yahoo or whatever. i hope this helps.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
There's two things in life you never want people to know about you...
1. You know how to work on cars.
2. You know how to work on computers.

You my friend are cursed with this info being out in the open.
^ little truth ^

R.I.P. Milo
R.I.P. PatPrimmer
custom_junky is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-08-2004, 08:19 PM   #3 (permalink)
Dishwasher

Don't waste your money, N/A is pretty ineffective with the D17, with I/H/E you're lookin at maybe an additional 12 whp. Not really worth the 1k you're spending. Turbos aren't really existant for our cars. Stafford Fabrications (www.staffordfabrications.com) has one out but their business rep is shady at best. Dezod (www.dezod.com) is coming out with one too but it won't be ready till early next year. Find a good shop and have them do custom if you want something reliable.

Old 12-10-2004, 01:13 AM   #4 (permalink)

berettagtz117 is a Top Aussieberettagtz117 is a Top Aussieberettagtz117 is a Top Aussieberettagtz117 is a Top Aussieberettagtz117 is a Top Aussieberettagtz117 is a Top Aussieberettagtz117 is a Top Aussieberettagtz117 is a Top Aussieberettagtz117 is a Top Aussieberettagtz117 is a Top Aussieberettagtz117 is a Top Aussie
iTrader Score: 17 reviews

[QUOTE=Dishwasher]Don't waste your money, N/A is pretty ineffective with the D17, with I/H/E you're lookin at maybe an additional 12 whp.

No way more like 2-3 horse for all that because I have all that and my car is no faster so I just made it a show car and put all my money into my EG for speed these d17s are worthless unless you boost them and even then that will cost alot of money and will not be reliable w/ out proper tuning because of alot of reasons.. Dont try and upgrade you Intake Mani because you will lose power by doing that unless you boost, Na wise they are no good for the D17s..
berettagtz117 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-10-2004, 07:43 AM   #5 (permalink)

iTrader Score: 0 reviews

Ah don't worry. Stuff is coming out everyday for our cars. There are plenty of headers that will help you gain power, but you need to look into high flow cats for them. I have found one that seemed to be the real deal but you need to pay attention to the details. With my 04 ex coupe i am running a 16.5 quarter at bristal tennessee already. Making that about a 15.5 at sea level. All this with only a K&N Cold air and a mufler system from resinater back. These cars run good for what they are, but I want more.

Have you seen the turbo kit that is made for this car on turbokits.com?
Sweet2K4EX is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-14-2004, 06:20 PM   #6 (permalink)

NA is not all that bad, I've got i/h/e megan cat delete and vafc2 so far and im putting down i think it was like 127 so far, and im running 15.7's consistent, and with crower making us internals that come out end of dec, or in jan 05, and we should be able to do more.
Jspek_Inspired is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-16-2004, 07:08 AM   #7 (permalink)
DOG

Rep Power: 19 DOG is approaching greatnessDOG is approaching greatnessDOG is approaching greatnessDOG is approaching greatnessDOG is approaching greatnessDOG is approaching greatnessDOG is approaching greatnessDOG is approaching greatnessDOG is approaching greatnessDOG is approaching greatnessDOG is approaching greatnessDOG is approaching greatnessDOG is approaching greatnessDOG is approaching greatness
iTrader Score: 18 reviews
Send a message via AIM to DOG

Stick a y8 intake manifold on there. Your D17a2 is non-vtec right? You can swap the ex vtec head on.
DX/LX head swap to EX Vtec
http://www.7thgencivic.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=169411

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by DOG; 12-16-2004 at 07:13 AM.
DOG is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-20-2004, 10:04 AM   #8 (permalink)

A turbo would be less cash and faster. But to make more power N/A you need to raise your compression. Get some custom high compression pistons from race engineering. They made my low compression pistons for turbo. If you can't get pistons, try decking the head. A new intake manifold would be nice to; I have an Y8 on my D17A2.
caorndorff is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-20-2004, 06:41 PM   #9 (permalink)

Well my D17A2 is already a v-tech. So I dont think that the head swap would make a difference on mine. I have seen one production turbo kit for my car but it is a non-street leagal kit and Virginia is a pain when it comes to mods like that. But I am gonna look into the piston swap though. I might make a turbo kit for my cat come spring if I can figure out these crazy computers they have.
Old 12-20-2004, 06:43 PM   #10 (permalink)

If I took my car down to texas to see my bro in sonora, I'll have to give you a hollar there Jspek Inspired. I would be running arounf a 15.5 or 15.6 at about see level.
Old 01-25-2005, 11:30 AM   #11 (permalink)
drjvic04

Ive been trying to figure out where the power is in this engine. Or where its the most limited. I guess it must be the head,and ECU. I bet if the cam profile was a little more aggressive it would be a different story. I mean there are plenty of 4cyl motors putting out way more horsepower. So it has to be something. Maybe a standalone is whats needed. Does motec work for honda's?
Old 01-26-2005, 08:13 AM   #12 (permalink)

The power is mostly lost through the head and exhaust manifold. IMO at least. The cam is pretty good for OEM but the computer really slows things down.
Old 02-03-2005, 06:59 PM   #13 (permalink)

I was out looking at a EP2 civic tonight with the engine tore apart.. and all i have to say is that the d17a2 has the most pathetic exhaust manifold i have ever seen in my life. I swear the primaries are no bigger than 3/4".

Definatly would recomend I/H/E as well as port matching, and the y8 swap (if thats possible, didnt read much about that)
d16a6crx is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-02-2005, 05:04 PM   #14 (permalink)

I was just looking around Honda the other day and I read something that sparked an idea. The 2001-2004 civic GX (Natural gas powered) civic has the exact same block as all other 01-05 civics’ (The head and the intake manifold are different) but the GX has 12.5:1 compression pistons (really high because Natural gas needs high compression to run) they are the same specs are 9.5:1 and 9.9:1 pistons. (75mm) Someone should try to drop 12.5:1 GX pistons into another D17. They are only $30 each (brand New + you have to get rings and other stuff)). I wanted to see if this would work myself but I have a turbo, and Turbo and High compression = Bad news. What do you guys think?

ps: i think it has stronger rods also.

Last edited by caorndorff; 03-02-2005 at 05:33 PM.
Old 03-02-2005, 08:55 PM   #15 (permalink)

I started a Thread on this. https://www.d-series.org/forums/showt...481#post177481
Old 03-08-2008, 09:47 PM   #16 (permalink)

Cool new guy

whats up everybody..this is my first time belonging to a forum. just wanted to say hi.
silvercivic02 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-08-2008, 11:35 PM   #17 (permalink)

Rep Power: 25 speedfoos is the fucking MAN!!!!speedfoos is the fucking MAN!!!!speedfoos is the fucking MAN!!!!speedfoos is the fucking MAN!!!!
speedfoos is the fucking MAN!!!!speedfoos is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 22 reviews

Your first post is bumping a 3 year-old thread? Uh....welcome.

|
|
|
speedfoos is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in