A2 worth it? - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org Motor Mayhem & Suspension Satisfaction 7th Gen

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-03-2010, 03:36 PM   #1 (permalink)
n00b

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Default A2 worth it?

Im looking to start my next build and ive been back and forth for a little while between another Z6 and a Y8. But yesterday at work an 02 civic came in with a seized camshaft and broken cam gear, the customer is replacing the entire motor. Since the block is still in good shape I asked my boss if I could take the A2 block. I'l be going stock motor turbo and id like to hear what turbo A2 owners think of their engines, if its not worth it I dont want the block taking up space in my already crowded garage.
Omnipotent is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-05-2010, 06:30 PM   #2 (permalink)
All powerful D-series member

custom_junky is a Top Aussiecustom_junky is a Top Aussiecustom_junky is a Top Aussiecustom_junky is a Top Aussiecustom_junky is a Top Aussiecustom_junky is a Top Aussiecustom_junky is a Top Aussiecustom_junky is a Top Aussiecustom_junky is a Top Aussiecustom_junky is a Top Aussiecustom_junky is a Top Aussie
iTrader Score: 4 reviews

what vehicle is it going in? and the 7th gen civic motors are kinda a bitch to modify

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
There's two things in life you never want people to know about you...
1. You know how to work on cars.
2. You know how to work on computers.

You my friend are cursed with this info being out in the open.
^ little truth ^

R.I.P. Milo
R.I.P. PatPrimmer
custom_junky is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-05-2010, 06:34 PM   #3 (permalink)
D-series G0D

Rep Power: 32 mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 10 reviews

If you are willing to machine the crank snout to accept a d16 pulley, you can install the d17 crank and rods into a d16 honda motor for a stroker assembly.

You will NEED to run 27mm compression height pistons though.

Stock d17 rods can take 200-230whp on a VERY nice tune.

They do offer aftermarket rods for the d17 but due to the d17 rods being skinnier then teh normal d16 rods, the aftermarket is limited and can be costly.

Unless you can find info on shaving d16 rods down, I suggest saving some cash

stroker setups do GREAT with turbo builds. Faster spooling, more torque, but they dont like revving very high.

You have more options staying d16 though

whatever you decide, have fun!! most important thing!

2003 Hyundai Sonata GLS 2.7 Delta 197k
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1998 Cadillac Seville SLS just broke 100k
2001 civic LX coupe MTX 199k
Sometimes, the difficult path is the easiest path
D/B/F/H/K compression questions?

Build what you have!

mattliston is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2010, 08:20 AM   #4 (permalink)

If the motor isnt going back in a 7th gen civic, then i would suggest to not use it. Otherwise, i would say that it is a reliable motor and would be a lot of fun to turbo. i own a 7th gen EX with the A2 motor and even though mine is N/A it is a lot of fun and you can still get very good gas mileage with a nice tune when/if you decide to build your motor
jbb037 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-07-2010, 06:57 AM   #5 (permalink)
D-series lover

iTrader Score: 1 reviews

Only real reason to do a head swap is if you plan on doing a cam down the road. Not really much difference stock vs stock.

Stock rod's will hold 350 easily.

Wait what is that?!?!? 105 whp?? What did I dyno at? 125 whp?? Do the math.. 125 - 105 = ???? 20whp?

D. Go back and read A-C cause you probably are still clueless.
02civicrider is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-07-2010, 07:00 AM   #6 (permalink)
Certified O.G.

Rep Power: 27 Staypuff578 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Staypuff578 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
Staypuff578 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Staypuff578 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Staypuff578 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Staypuff578 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Staypuff578 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Staypuff578 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Staypuff578 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Staypuff578 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Staypuff578 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Staypuff578 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Staypuff578 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Staypuff578 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Staypuff578 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 58 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Staypuff578

Quote:
Originally Posted by 02civicrider View Post
Proof or GTFO.

Quote:
almost as badass as my mustache, like a mustache with tits
Instagram- Spoolin_Larry
Staypuff578 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-07-2010, 07:34 AM   #7 (permalink)
D-series lover

READ BEFORE POSTING: The 7th Gen Turbo/Swap FAQ - 7thGenHonda.com - The #1 Community for 2001-2005 Honda Civic Enthusiasts

Feel free to read. I mean if it will hold up to 300.. I'm sure it will hold to 350.

Wait what is that?!?!? 105 whp?? What did I dyno at? 125 whp?? Do the math.. 125 - 105 = ???? 20whp?

Old 09-07-2010, 07:50 AM   #8 (permalink)
Certified O.G.

Rep Power: 27 Staypuff578 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Staypuff578 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
Staypuff578 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Staypuff578 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Staypuff578 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Staypuff578 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Staypuff578 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Staypuff578 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Staypuff578 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Staypuff578 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Staypuff578 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Staypuff578 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Staypuff578 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Staypuff578 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Staypuff578 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 58 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Staypuff578

Quote:
READ BEFORE POSTING: The 7th Gen Turbo/Swap FAQ - 7thGenHonda.com - The #1 Community for 2001-2005 Honda Civic Enthusiasts

Feel free to read. I mean if it will hold up to 300.. I'm sure it will hold to 350.
You do realize 50 more HP is actually a fairly large number when it comes to the stress on your engine internals right?

Quote:
almost as badass as my mustache, like a mustache with tits
Instagram- Spoolin_Larry
Staypuff578 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-07-2010, 07:59 AM   #9 (permalink)
D-series lover

It's whatever. I'm not gonna start a argument over 50 hp. I just wanted to state that they will hold more than 200-230. I'm around 200-210 on 8.5 psi and there's a guy in MD hitting 240 on 9 psi.

Old 09-07-2010, 09:23 AM   #10 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 11 Jomama is obviously a regularJomama is obviously a regularJomama is obviously a regularJomama is obviously a regularJomama is obviously a regularJomama is obviously a regularJomama is obviously a regularJomama is obviously a regular
iTrader Score: 4 reviews

You're better off just getting a b16 swap or gsr swap. Same amount of hp, and more parts for b series. a2 will cost more if swapped into 92-00 civics.
Jomama is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-07-2010, 09:23 AM   #11 (permalink)
D-series G0D

Rep Power: 32 mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !

Quote:
Only real reason to do a head swap is if you plan on doing a cam down the road. Not really much difference stock vs stock.

The fuck you smoking?

Build what you have!

Old 09-07-2010, 09:24 AM   #12 (permalink)
D-series G0D

Quote:
It's whatever. I'm not gonna start a argument over 50 hp. I just wanted to state that they will hold more than 200-230. I'm around 200-210 on 8.5 psi and there's a guy in MD hitting 240 on 9 psi.
psi doesnt matter, I can hoild 150psi if the turbo was small enough

240 is NOWHEERE Near 350

Build what you have!

Old 09-07-2010, 11:45 AM   #13 (permalink)
D-series post SLUT

christopher_davis is about to kiss the skychristopher_davis is about to kiss the skychristopher_davis is about to kiss the skychristopher_davis is about to kiss the skychristopher_davis is about to kiss the skychristopher_davis is about to kiss the sky
iTrader Score: 23 reviews

OP: what car is this going in?
christopher_davis is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-28-2010, 09:07 AM   #14 (permalink)
n00b

Most likely it will be going into a 7th gen due to mount locations. ...and bahaha on 300+ hp d17... fyi I have a complete d17a2 Im willing to part with cheap...and turbo goods. Just saying...

1998 EJ8 Mini-me.
bionicseahorse is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-01-2010, 12:17 PM   #15 (permalink)

pm me about the d17 and goods
jamis33 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-27-2010, 06:27 PM   #16 (permalink)
n00b

Cool Engine Swap VTEC

I recently put a d17a2 (EX) into my dx to convert non-vtec to VTEC.. is a d17 A6(HX) Much better??
yb_sonny16 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in