Which is better for turbo, d17a1 or d17a2?? - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org Motor Mayhem & Suspension Satisfaction 7th Gen

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-29-2010, 07:26 PM   #1 (permalink)
n00b

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Default Which is better for turbo, d17a1 or d17a2??

I was curious if anyone know which is better for boost? Being that the A2 is vtec-e I thought the A1 might be better?? I searched around but had no results?
ryanl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-30-2010, 04:43 AM   #2 (permalink)
They call me Awesome!

Rep Power: 38 awebb is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !awebb is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
awebb is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !awebb is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !awebb is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !awebb is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !awebb is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !awebb is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !awebb is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 15 reviews

Depends, would you rather watch Beastmaster 1 at midnight or Beastmaster 2 at 1 am?

What I'm getting at is, both generally suck. IMO

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Have you checked
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
today?

Don't get your feelings hurt over some idiot's personal opinion, especially MINE!!!
awebb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-30-2010, 07:02 AM   #3 (permalink)
n00b

I know they have the least amount of aftermarket support, but I have a 05 civic and don't want to do a k- series swap. So as far as staying legal I don't have anyother option...

Old 04-30-2010, 08:27 AM   #4 (permalink)
D-series PIMP

Rep Power: 14 jollyroger494 is about to blow upjollyroger494 is about to blow upjollyroger494 is about to blow upjollyroger494 is about to blow upjollyroger494 is about to blow upjollyroger494 is about to blow upjollyroger494 is about to blow upjollyroger494 is about to blow upjollyroger494 is about to blow upjollyroger494 is about to blow upjollyroger494 is about to blow upjollyroger494 is about to blow upjollyroger494 is about to blow upjollyroger494 is about to blow up
iTrader Score: 23 reviews

*this is what i have read*

you can do a mini me with the A2 head. from what i read with some searching the blocks are supposedly the same just cylinder head differences. but if you are wanting vtec for later on, you need to just wait until you can get an ecu and have it reflashed with your vin in the eprom. that way when you key is inserted it will start your engine. also you may need to get another engine harness unless you want to fabricate the vtec wiring yourself. also from what ive read, if you DONT have vtec hooked up in this engine, which i also know is true, your engine will run in a limp mode and throw a CEL.

basically...your looking at a lot of work for every little gain. even tho Kseries is expensive its your best option ATM.
the A1 only gets 117hp to the crank and the A2 (vtec) is only gonna get you 127hp to the crank.

honestly i would just do I/H/E you'll have better gains for cheaper and much less work.

theres also a thread on D series, not sure if you have read it or not. https://www.d-series.org/forums/7th-g...onversion.html

MR 95 ex coupe- CAF!-R.I.P. put into a wall by work..

MR 94 ex coupe- from the effing canigits eh?

Quote:
I'd fuck that like she was the economy and I was obama!
Quote:
Grab her by the throat and fuck that bitch silly. If she tries to fight just whisper in her ear "don't turn this rape into a murder"

Last edited by jollyroger494; 04-30-2010 at 08:30 AM.
jollyroger494 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-30-2010, 11:13 AM   #5 (permalink)
n00b

Thanks for the info, I've read about the swap. That's not was I'm intending to do. My car has the a2 now. I'm planning on building an engine for use with a turbo. So either way I'm going to buy a second engine, and leave the factory one in as a daily driver until the new one is complete. So I didn't know if one engine was better then the other. I'm guessing the a2 because of the vtec and extra 10 hp.
Old 04-30-2010, 11:46 AM   #6 (permalink)
D-series PIMP

Rep Power: 14 jollyroger494 is about to blow upjollyroger494 is about to blow upjollyroger494 is about to blow upjollyroger494 is about to blow upjollyroger494 is about to blow upjollyroger494 is about to blow upjollyroger494 is about to blow upjollyroger494 is about to blow upjollyroger494 is about to blow upjollyroger494 is about to blow upjollyroger494 is about to blow upjollyroger494 is about to blow upjollyroger494 is about to blow upjollyroger494 is about to blow up
iTrader Score: 23 reviews

oh well yeah then just buy another a2. didnt know you could boost those, do they make piggy backs for the ecu's to tune them? thought only k series had the aftermarket support on all honda obd2b's well that and the s2000 motor lol

MR 95 ex coupe- CAF!-R.I.P. put into a wall by work..

MR 94 ex coupe- from the effing canigits eh?

Quote:
I'd fuck that like she was the economy and I was obama!
Quote:
Grab her by the throat and fuck that bitch silly. If she tries to fight just whisper in her ear "don't turn this rape into a murder"
jollyroger494 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-30-2010, 12:26 PM   #7 (permalink)
n00b

Yea you can. You have to use a kpro or the aem standalone system. If you want to go over 10psi, at least that's what I'm told.

Old 05-02-2010, 04:07 PM   #8 (permalink)
D-series lover

iTrader Score: 1 reviews

The a2 has vtec and has higher compression compared to the a1. Kpro is your best bet either N/A or Boost. Either motor is fine for boost.

Wait what is that?!?!? 105 whp?? What did I dyno at? 125 whp?? Do the math.. 125 - 105 = ???? 20whp?

D. Go back and read A-C cause you probably are still clueless.
02civicrider is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-02-2010, 05:26 PM   #9 (permalink)
D-series lover

Rep Power: 11 dmindles is learning the way of the Ddmindles is learning the way of the D
Send a message via Yahoo to dmindles

d17 FTL

96dx coupe
d16y7
ex tranny
cai
dnx header
stock exhaust
ngk spark plugs+5hp
skunk2 short shifter
type R shift knob+10hp
SI tail lights
SI spoiler
delsol rims
front lip unknown brand

Quote:
Originally Posted by N2HIFI
i like how it's a ek9 with a d series and automatic.
seriously kids just throwing that type r name around now a days .. it's like name dropping for a used car salesman
dmindles is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-02-2010, 05:49 PM   #10 (permalink)
gonzo

d17+boost=baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaang!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
eg8boosted is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-02-2010, 05:53 PM   #11 (permalink)
D-series lover

Rep Power: 11 dmindles is learning the way of the Ddmindles is learning the way of the D
Send a message via Yahoo to dmindles

Quote:
The only thing getting banged is his wallet on that hopes and dreams machine

96dx coupe
d16y7
ex tranny
cai
dnx header
stock exhaust
ngk spark plugs+5hp
skunk2 short shifter
type R shift knob+10hp
SI tail lights
SI spoiler
delsol rims
front lip unknown brand

Quote:
Originally Posted by N2HIFI
i like how it's a ek9 with a d series and automatic.
seriously kids just throwing that type r name around now a days .. it's like name dropping for a used car salesman
dmindles is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-02-2010, 06:20 PM   #12 (permalink)
n00b

Yea yea I know, its going to be spendy and I wont get too much out of it. It is what it is though. Thats what I have and Ill make it work.

Old 05-02-2010, 06:37 PM   #13 (permalink)
D-series G0D

patprimmer Still a JDM Star....patprimmer Still a JDM Star....patprimmer Still a JDM Star....patprimmer Still a JDM Star....patprimmer Still a JDM Star....patprimmer Still a JDM Star....patprimmer Still a JDM Star....
iTrader Score: 7 reviews

A suitable ECU might be your biggest challenge.

Any engine will respond well to turbocharging so long as the compression/boost total is not to high and you have fuel with the octane to support your compression plus boost level and you have the facility to supply enough fuel and to pull timing.

The non V tec may actually be easier to boost as you will not need to sort out boost level and v-tec tip in points.

You need to research ECUs for your model.

I would think any mod to the fuel system or ignition timing tune might be illegal. If so, adding boost will be illegal. Whether or not you can or want to get away with it and pass emissions testing is another story.

I will always feed an inquisitive mind, prod a lazy noob and blast a disrespectful bum.

Believe none of what you hear and half of what you see.

Ignorance may be cured, stupid is forever.

my CRX thread

my intro

patprimmer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-02-2010, 06:39 PM   #14 (permalink)
D-series G0D

patprimmer Still a JDM Star....patprimmer Still a JDM Star....patprimmer Still a JDM Star....patprimmer Still a JDM Star....patprimmer Still a JDM Star....patprimmer Still a JDM Star....patprimmer Still a JDM Star....
iTrader Score: 7 reviews

That is a pretty broad statment. Do you have anything to back it up.

I will always feed an inquisitive mind, prod a lazy noob and blast a disrespectful bum.

Believe none of what you hear and half of what you see.

Ignorance may be cured, stupid is forever.

my CRX thread

my intro

patprimmer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-02-2010, 08:31 PM   #15 (permalink)
n00b

I've been looking into the kpro, I've heard that is one of the only options if your planning on going over 10psi due to the map sensor on that model. Luckily where I live I have no emissions, so won't have to worry about that.

Old 06-17-2010, 07:19 AM   #16 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 14 jamisgood is learning the way of the Djamisgood is learning the way of the D
Send a message via AIM to jamisgood

It is possible to run a pretty sick and nasty boosted d17...our own member Speedfoos has one to prove it.

Tein Basic Damper Coilovers
Fujita CAI
HP Racing 4-1 Ceramic Header
de-catted exhaust
16" Grid Full Royal Sport Bronze Rotas
2 1/4" custom exhaust
Lightened Flywheel
Apexi Neo
D17A2 engine
jamisgood is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-17-2010, 07:49 AM   #17 (permalink)
All powerful D-series member

Rep Power: 25 speedfoos is the fucking MAN!!!!speedfoos is the fucking MAN!!!!speedfoos is the fucking MAN!!!!speedfoos is the fucking MAN!!!!
speedfoos is the fucking MAN!!!!speedfoos is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 22 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamisgood View Post
It is possible to run a pretty sick and nasty boosted d17...our own member Speedfoos had one to prove it.
Fixed.

|
|
|
speedfoos is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-17-2010, 12:05 PM   #18 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 14 jamisgood is learning the way of the Djamisgood is learning the way of the D

damn, guess i'm behind the times here a bit. Well, yours was nice!

Fujita CAI
de-catted exhaust
2 1/4" custom exhaust
Lightened Flywheel
Apexi Neo
D17A2 engine
Old 06-17-2010, 01:27 PM   #19 (permalink)
All powerful D-series member

Rep Power: 25 speedfoos is the fucking MAN!!!!speedfoos is the fucking MAN!!!!speedfoos is the fucking MAN!!!!speedfoos is the fucking MAN!!!!
speedfoos is the fucking MAN!!!!speedfoos is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 22 reviews

A bit. I've been without a Honda for over a year now.

|
|
|
speedfoos is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-18-2010, 06:01 AM   #20 (permalink)
D-series soldier

me too man, it sucks. I'm stationed in germany and i left mine back home.

Fujita CAI
de-catted exhaust
2 1/4" custom exhaust
Lightened Flywheel
Apexi Neo
D17A2 engine
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Security Question
*Required, this field is not shown to others: While balancing on a piece of wood, two inches by four inches known as a 2x4, john and his friend sally both spotted a dalmatian inside a truck with sirens, headed to put out a fire. State what kind of animal is mentioned in the sentence above.
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in