D17a1 to D17a2 Conversion - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org Motor Mayhem & Suspension Satisfaction 7th Gen

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-23-2010, 03:56 PM   #1 (permalink)
n00b

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Default D17a1 to D17a2 Conversion

Sorry i dont have time to research, but i blew up my d17a1 and i want to put a d17a2 and i was wondering if i could run the stock ECU and retain all stock wiring, and just not run VTEC temporarily. thanks for your help in advance guys.

1998 EJ8 Mini-me.
bionicseahorse is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-24-2010, 09:56 AM   #2 (permalink)
n00b

If your going to put a d17a2 in, minus will hook up vtec? I believe all you need is a ecu for the d17a2 motor and run the v tec wires/knock sesior. Without it, it runs like crap. Help this helps.
chensueher is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-24-2010, 11:05 AM   #3 (permalink)
n00b

That was hardly a coherent statement but thank you. Let me clarify even more. I dont want to buy an ecu nor do i have time to run wires. I just want to know if I could "slap" in a v-tec motor and run it off my non-vtec ecu and just not hit v-tec. I need a motor for my dd and I just want to upgrade while im at it. I dont want to rev it out or anything. I need a car. Thanks again.

1998 EJ8 Mini-me.

Old 04-24-2010, 11:07 AM   #4 (permalink)
n00b

Please help me out guys I need to order this motor and get things going. As soon as possible!!!

1998 EJ8 Mini-me.
Old 04-24-2010, 11:11 AM   #5 (permalink)
D-series PIMP

Rep Power: 12 Dmc971989 is a name known to allDmc971989 is a name known to allDmc971989 is a name known to allDmc971989 is a name known to allDmc971989 is a name known to allDmc971989 is a name known to allDmc971989 is a name known to allDmc971989 is a name known to allDmc971989 is a name known to allDmc971989 is a name known to all
iTrader Score: 2 reviews

im running a D16z6 in my Dx sedan with stock wiring/ecu (not set up for Vtec)... works fine for me?
Dmc971989 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-24-2010, 11:15 AM   #6 (permalink)
Certified O.G.

Rep Power: 27 Staypuff578 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Staypuff578 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
Staypuff578 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Staypuff578 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Staypuff578 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Staypuff578 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Staypuff578 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Staypuff578 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Staypuff578 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Staypuff578 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Staypuff578 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Staypuff578 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Staypuff578 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Staypuff578 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Staypuff578 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 58 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Staypuff578

yes you can run a vtec motor off of a non vtec ecu. you just won't have vtec and i think some of the fuel/ignition tables are different

Quote:
almost as badass as my mustache, like a mustache with tits
Instagram- Spoolin_Larry
Staypuff578 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-24-2010, 02:31 PM   #7 (permalink)
n00b

Nice. Thanks guys. So glad to be going v-tec. speedfoos sent me a map a while back and now i can use it. muhahaha

1998 EJ8 Mini-me.
Old 04-24-2010, 04:02 PM   #8 (permalink)
n00b

V-TEC motor in transit! Swap pics to come!

1998 EJ8 Mini-me.
Old 04-24-2010, 06:23 PM   #9 (permalink)

im just saying that the d17a2 is a VTEC-E motor. so in reality, its going to run quite crappy until you get a tuning solution to run vtec. VTEC engages at 4500 i believe...but after that point is when the motor runs on all 4 valves per cylinder. below that it operates on three. with VTEC disabled, you will be running on three valves per cylinder until you get VTEC wired. Some food for thought
jbb037 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-24-2010, 09:16 PM   #10 (permalink)
All powerful D-series member

Rep Power: 25 speedfoos is the fucking MAN!!!!speedfoos is the fucking MAN!!!!speedfoos is the fucking MAN!!!!speedfoos is the fucking MAN!!!!
speedfoos is the fucking MAN!!!!speedfoos is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 22 reviews

It will "run" but will completely fall on its face after about 3500 RPMs because you won't have any way to activate the larger cam profile.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|
speedfoos is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-25-2010, 01:57 PM   #11 (permalink)
D-series lover

iTrader Score: 1 reviews

You'll probably be in limp mode as well. So you will basically hit the rev limiter at 4k. You should just pick up a vtec controller aka vafc2. That way all you have to do is run a wire for vtec and it will run just fine.

Wait what is that?!?!? 105 whp?? What did I dyno at? 125 whp?? Do the math.. 125 - 105 = ???? 20whp?

D. Go back and read A-C cause you probably are still clueless.
02civicrider is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-03-2010, 11:23 AM   #12 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 14 jamisgood is learning the way of the Djamisgood is learning the way of the D
Send a message via AIM to jamisgood

I did this for a while after my old A1 non-vtec hydrolocked from a big flood time i had at my home town. I replaced the motor with an a2 (vtec) and ran it with the nothing but the stock ECU for a few long months. It was EXTRA SLOW and you could feel at about 3300rpm where it really slowed up where vtec-e should have opened the other valve. Later when i came back from being stationed in Texas i bought an Apexi Neo and got that hooked up, simply running to the vtec solenoid...since then it's worked like a charm. Felt a significant difference actually. Hope this helps.

Tein Basic Damper Coilovers
Fujita CAI
HP Racing 4-1 Ceramic Header
de-catted exhaust
16" Grid Full Royal Sport Bronze Rotas
2 1/4" custom exhaust
Lightened Flywheel
Apexi Neo
D17A2 engine
jamisgood is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-22-2010, 01:05 PM   #13 (permalink)
D-series post SLUT

Rep Power: 14 94EXa2 will become famous soon enough94EXa2 will become famous soon enough94EXa2 will become famous soon enough
iTrader Score: 2 reviews
Send a message via MSN to 94EXa2

just so gay they never made a vtec engine for the 7th gens
Old 07-10-2010, 06:56 PM   #14 (permalink)

ya your car will deffinitely run. i've had a few times where my vtec wire has become disconnected on my d17a1 with a2 headswap. its fine. i have stage 1 cam which deffinitely makes a difference in the lower rev band. d17 vtec isnt that bad if u get sweet cams for it and get it tuned.
jamis33 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in