Issue with bleeding clutch system after clutch install - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org Motor Mayhem & Suspension Satisfaction 7th Gen

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-10-2010, 07:32 AM   #1 (permalink)
n00b

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Default Issue with bleeding clutch system after clutch install

Alright, I bled the clutch with a vacuum pump yet I cant get any clutch pedal pressure. I just installed a brand new OEM clutch/PP/TOB/pilot bearing.

This is what I have tried so far:

1. open valve, press clutch in, close valve, lift clutch pedal.....repeat.

Did that for about an hour.

2. press clutch in, open valve, close valve, lift clutch pedal.....repeat.

Did that for the same amount of time.

3. Went and bought a hand vacuum pump, opened the valve, pumped, shut valve, still no pressure. I get to around 15 in/hg of vacuum yet no pressure.

I had the car raised in the front before so I could get under it, now I have it raised in the back in case that will help any air escape.

Why is this being such a bitch? There are no fluid leaks anywhere. Both slave and master cylinders were fine before this....
4g64fiero is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-10-2010, 02:04 PM   #2 (permalink)
\/Your Mom Was Here\/

Rep Power: 54 BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 11 reviews

are u getting fluid out of the bleeder? and if you are, are you getting air bubbles to come out?

you shouldnt have to bleed the clutch if you didnt change the slave/master (i think)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2005 Civic EX Sedan (ES2)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

You will be missed but not forgotten.

Quote:
I actually jerk off to my rep points, neg rep makes me thumb my bung, what now brown cow? I finished twice.
BeerDrinkin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-10-2010, 02:44 PM   #3 (permalink)
wise in the ways of the D

AutoXCivic Still a JDM Star....AutoXCivic Still a JDM Star....AutoXCivic Still a JDM Star....AutoXCivic Still a JDM Star....AutoXCivic Still a JDM Star....AutoXCivic Still a JDM Star....AutoXCivic Still a JDM Star....AutoXCivic Still a JDM Star....AutoXCivic Still a JDM Star....AutoXCivic Still a JDM Star....
iTrader Score: 19 reviews
Send a message via AIM to AutoXCivic Send a message via MSN to AutoXCivic Send a message via Yahoo to AutoXCivic

Yeah I'm not seeing any reason to bleed the clutch, unless you had to remove the master or slave cylinder to replace all of that. Did you make sure to keep the clutch fluid reservoir filled ... did you drain it while bleeding maybe?

Not saying your dumb, but we've all done the occasional bone headed thing.

<--- Stolen

<--- Sold.

Quote:
barrel roll in airplane > barrel roll in nsx
AutoXCivic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2010, 03:04 PM   #4 (permalink)
n00b

Thanks for the replies!

I had removed the transmission and unhooked the clutch line that goes to the slave cylinder just above the transaxle itself...all the fluid drained overnight from the system.

I didnt put the tranny and slave cylinder in until the next day and here I am.

Over the process of four hours I got the pedal to come up to where it was before. I have been pressing the rod back into the slave with the valve closed to bleed air out of the resevoir( I see small bubbles come out sometimes when I do this.

It has a been a process of hand pumping my vacuum pump to 25 in/hg then opening the valve for a split second the closing before the vacuum reaches 15 in/hgs then pumping the clutch, refilling the resevoir, pushing in the slave cylinder rod.

That has been working very slowly but the clutch is getting slightly stiffer everytime I have gone through the entire process.
4g64fiero is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-10-2010, 03:39 PM   #5 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 13 sjsotelo smells like Boratsjsotelo smells like Boratsjsotelo smells like Boratsjsotelo smells like Boratsjsotelo smells like Borat
iTrader Score: 15 reviews
Send a message via AIM to sjsotelo

Try this... push the slave cylinder back in by hand.

basically use your hand and push the shift fork towards the driver side wheel... do it slowly and firmly and you should see the clutch fluid raise in the clutch reservoir as your pushing the fluid by hand back up into the reservoir ....

then have the person let up on the peddle and then hand pump it a few times, hold peddle and open bleed valve and let air out, close bleed valve and repeat.

its all about giving it a little back pressure, with hand pushing the slave in by hand.

Good luck!

Last edited by sjsotelo; 03-10-2010 at 03:41 PM.
sjsotelo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-11-2010, 07:26 AM   #6 (permalink)
\/Your Mom Was Here\/

Rep Power: 54 BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 11 reviews

if you have 2 people this would work a whole lot better. pump the pedal about 5 times and hold it down and then bleed and close. repeat as needed (kinda like shampoo lol)

2005 Civic EX Sedan (ES2)

You will be missed but not forgotten.

Quote:
I actually jerk off to my rep points, neg rep makes me thumb my bung, what now brown cow? I finished twice.
BeerDrinkin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-01-2010, 05:52 AM   #7 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 14 blackDseries is almost a somebodyblackDseries is almost a somebodyblackDseries is almost a somebodyblackDseries is almost a somebody

that is not how you bleed a clutch. doesnt anyone use the search buttons anymore?

run a piece of rubber vacuum line from the bleeder nipple to a resevoir of fluid like a bottle. make sure the end of the line is submerged ALL THE TIME. loosen the bleeder a half turn. pump the pedal repeatedly with the bleeder cracked the whole time , making sure the clutch master stays full of fluid , dont let it run dry. keep going till the fluid pumping out is clean and no air. when it is , tighten the bleeder in the middle of a stroke of the pedal , away you go. this is the only way you can bleed a clutch. wont work like brakes.

id also like to add , there is no reason to ever have to bleed the clutch , or should i say open the system unless you are replacing the lines , master , or slave. if you guys wanna take the tranny out or engine or whatever , undo the slave from the tranny , and whatever holds the lines , and move it out of the way , dont undo the lines. and make sure once the slave is off , noone touches the clutch pedal.

blackDseries is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Security Question
*Required, this field is not shown to others: While balancing on a piece of wood, two inches by four inches known as a 2x4, john and his friend sally both spotted a dalmatian inside a truck with sirens, headed to put out a fire. State what kind of animal is mentioned in the sentence above.
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in