Power Steering Delete - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org Motor Mayhem & Suspension Satisfaction 7th Gen

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-09-2010, 03:17 PM   #1 (permalink)
n00b

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Default Power Steering Delete

Sorry if this is a repost but I was wondering if anybody here deleted their power steering? I heard there is a much more positive feel with steering. I would also love to get it out of the way. (Replacing my alternator last weekend sparked this idea, along with tubular manifold plans.) Is there any alterations that anyone recommends for the steering rack? If anybody had any useful info about this topic it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

1998 EJ8 Mini-me.
bionicseahorse is offline   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-09-2010, 03:19 PM   #2 (permalink)
All powerful D-series member

Rep Power: 15 Rease3 is about to blow upRease3 is about to blow upRease3 is about to blow upRease3 is about to blow upRease3 is about to blow upRease3 is about to blow upRease3 is about to blow upRease3 is about to blow upRease3 is about to blow upRease3 is about to blow upRease3 is about to blow upRease3 is about to blow upRease3 is about to blow upRease3 is about to blow up
iTrader Score: 26 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Rease3 Send a message via Yahoo to Rease3

u sir need to search.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Rease3 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 03-09-2010, 05:30 PM   #3 (permalink)
n00b

what a drag. i did a quick search and didnt find jack on em2 info. maybe im just special.

1998 EJ8 Mini-me.

Old 03-09-2010, 10:46 PM   #4 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 11 WangLung will become famous soon enoughWangLung will become famous soon enoughWangLung will become famous soon enough
iTrader Score: 14 reviews

dude...i took 3 minutes to find this. if its "such a drag" to search for something you want to know about why dont you just curl up into a ball and give up on cars man

DIY: Removing Power Steering - Honda Civic Forum

The_Acid_Beaver on electrical work.
WangLung is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 03-09-2010, 11:15 PM   #5 (permalink)
D-series lover

Rep Power: 14 94CivTLC is learning the way of the D94CivTLC is learning the way of the D

Quote:
Originally Posted by WangLung View Post
dude...i took 3 minutes to find this. if its "such a drag" to search for something you want to know about why dont you just curl up into a ball and give up on cars man

DIY: Removing Power Steering - Honda Civic Forum
I have been a member for a long time and have very few posts because I have searched everything and you know what I think? The search here sucks, mostly because a lot of people don't use search-friendly titles. instead its some thing like this.... "oh noez i haz a problem!"

If you are so knowledgeable about the site and info this guy needs, post a link and /thread. maybe get some rep in return

Don't chastise your fellow civic comrades, help someone out or don't post! really tired of the flaming going around here its just like H-T...

/rant

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
94CivTLC is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 03-10-2010, 12:34 AM   #6 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 11 WangLung will become famous soon enoughWangLung will become famous soon enoughWangLung will become famous soon enough
iTrader Score: 14 reviews

i used google sir

The_Acid_Beaver on electrical work.
WangLung is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 03-10-2010, 03:03 AM   #7 (permalink)
n00b

If you are so knowledgeable about the site and info this guy needs, post a link and /thread. maybe get some rep in return" -94CivTLC

Thanks man, Im not a pro on navigating this site yet sorry

By the way I didnt think to look in such as simple area as the diy section, i didnt know this was so common. i just thought to do it because im just that cool. There are cars in Hawaii? I must be really ignorant.

1998 EJ8 Mini-me.

Last edited by bionicseahorse; 03-10-2010 at 03:12 AM.
Old 03-10-2010, 05:27 AM   #8 (permalink)
\/Your Mom Was Here\/

Rep Power: 54 BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 11 reviews

there are cars in hawaii. just not any parts

2005 Civic EX Sedan (ES2)

You will be missed but not forgotten.

Quote:
I actually jerk off to my rep points, neg rep makes me thumb my bung, what now brown cow? I finished twice.
BeerDrinkin is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 04-27-2010, 10:34 PM   #9 (permalink)
Adia's Daddy

Rep Power: 26 Steve-O is the fucking MAN!!!!Steve-O is the fucking MAN!!!!Steve-O is the fucking MAN!!!!Steve-O is the fucking MAN!!!!
Steve-O is the fucking MAN!!!!Steve-O is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 1 reviews
Send a message via MSN to Steve-O

I know I have a 5th gen but the concept is basically the same, all you have to do is use your own good judgement to see how to hook everything up so the fluid flows in a continuous loop too and from the rack. I looped my rack through the reservoir so it acts like a breather and keeps the rack full of fluid at all times. I also wanted to make it look as OEM as possible and since all the parts are there and are free, it just took a little bit of cleverness to organize it all and put it together:

Since the rack is no longer fed by a pump which absorbs heat from the engine and creates heat itself during operation, I was able to remove the p/s cooler lines from the front of the car and loop them to the resevoir. There are 2 fitting on the side of the resevoir which I used for them and where the rubber lines attach to would have previously gone to the cooler loop in the front of the car.

What I did here was for the main line, I cut off the high pressure pump end fitting using a pipe cutter. After de-burring and cleaning the end, I used the existing low pressure pump feel hose from the bottom of the resevoir, measured and cut it so it would fit over the end of the high-pressure line. I then used hose clamps to seal everything up.

Almost looks OEM doesn't it?

Another view of the two cooler lines running to the resevoir and the main line from the bottom of the reservoir.

Finished product.

What is hard to see in the above pic is the high-pressure pump fitting has a stepped end, that being it is two different diameters. When you cut the fitting end off of the smaller line, it steps up to a larger end and then terminates at the crimped section. I left a small length of the smaller diameter line to give support to the hose and then clamped it to the larger diameter section.

While I'm probably not explaining it right or helping anyone out any better with it, you will see what I mean if you do it. As for the cutting and measuring of the hose, it is already pre-formed a certain way from the factory to come out from the bottom of the resevoir to feed the pump. So it's just a matter of seeing where you have to cut so the angle is right.

I just copy-and-pasted the above from another thread I had posted in where the pics don't show up because I changed my Flikr account. I'll make a new Flikr album for my P/S removal soon.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	civic_pics_march_2008 001 (Large).jpg
Views:	26417
Size:	103.7 KB
ID:	24089   Click image for larger version

Name:	civic_pics_march_2008 002 (Large).jpg
Views:	17147
Size:	71.6 KB
ID:	24090   Click image for larger version

Name:	civic_pics_march_2008 003 (Large).jpg
Views:	24508
Size:	110.4 KB
ID:	24091   Click image for larger version

Name:	civic_pics_march_2008 004 (Large).jpg
Views:	22198
Size:	96.3 KB
ID:	24092   Click image for larger version

Name:	civic_pics_march_2008 008 (Large).jpg
Views:	22561
Size:	139.9 KB
ID:	24094  

Living the humble dream as an independent shop repair tech

Quote:
Originally Posted by
One thing I have always believed, and I think should apply here too for the most part, is this: If you have nothing nice to say, don't say anything at all. Why put forth that effort to tell someone some negative stuff that you know they won't like to hear. Build your car how you want, and let others do the same.

Namaste

Last edited by Steve-O; 04-27-2010 at 10:40 PM.
Steve-O is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 04-27-2010, 11:10 PM   #10 (permalink)
D-series lover

Rep Power: 14 Ukrainamese will become famous soon enoughUkrainamese will become famous soon enoughUkrainamese will become famous soon enough
iTrader Score: 2 reviews

^^^^ This should go to the DIY, this is just awesome!

Last edited by Ukrainamese; 04-28-2010 at 05:51 PM.
Ukrainamese is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 12-02-2010, 05:30 PM   #11 (permalink)
D-Series cadet

Rep Power: 9 alextrebek is starting to learn the ropesalextrebek is starting to learn the ropesalextrebek is starting to learn the ropesalextrebek is starting to learn the ropesalextrebek is starting to learn the ropesalextrebek is starting to learn the ropesalextrebek is starting to learn the ropes

That should definitely go in the DIY, I just did it on my 6th gen and it worked great.

It's even easier on the 6th gen. Use a pipe cutter on the high pressure line and then use a hose clamp to secure it in the line out from the bottom of the reservoir, and boom. Done. Under 30 min.
Old 12-03-2010, 05:24 AM   #12 (permalink)

Power steering removal is pretty much the same on the 7thgen as it is on the others except we do not have a PS cooler. it feels good on the highway but if you have to drive in the city and do a lot of parking it sucks. if you just want it gone off the block you could always put in an EP3 rack cause it has an electrical power steering pump on the rack. or you could also get the MR2 electrical power steering pump and make a high pressure line and mount the pump where ever their is an article in honda tuning about that one

Bomerman19 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 12-03-2010, 06:52 AM   #13 (permalink)
D-Series cadet

Rep Power: 9 alextrebek is starting to learn the ropesalextrebek is starting to learn the ropesalextrebek is starting to learn the ropesalextrebek is starting to learn the ropesalextrebek is starting to learn the ropesalextrebek is starting to learn the ropesalextrebek is starting to learn the ropes

I don't know if it would fit on the 7th gen, but you may also have the option of getting a 5th or 6th gen factory manual steering rack.
Old 12-03-2010, 03:09 PM   #14 (permalink)

won't fit at all 7thgen basically uses an RSX rack and we don't have anything close to the subframe you guys do for your rack plus since you guys run double whishbone front end and we run Mcpherson strut the tie rods don't hook up the same at all.

But man that would be really nice though I really like the 5th and 6th gen manual racks they are just right

Bomerman19 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Security Question
*Required, this field is not shown to others: While balancing on a piece of wood, two inches by four inches known as a 2x4, john and his friend sally both spotted a dalmatian inside a truck with sirens, headed to put out a fire. State what kind of animal is mentioned in the sentence above.
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in